the Rift

[OPEN] Don't forget to write.
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho The Wildfire Posts: 1,004
Deceased atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd

GAUCHO
I'd bring you further roses but it does you no good.

The sun had reached a blistering zenith over the Throat. Beads of sweat trickled in constant tributaries down Gaucho’s well muscled body, darkening the majority of his body to a bloody black colour. Of course Gaucho didn’t notice, for his mind was far, far away. It was in a dream .. or perhaps … a memory. He wasn’t sure, because he had almost entirely lost his grip on reality. The days slipped by without mention in his mind, and he could scarcely recall the last time he actually ate something, drank something. Without the concern of Mara and Vorsa, he likely would have died weeks ago, for without their constant prodding, he would have forgotten that he had a body to take care of entirely. As it was, both companions were currently forcing him to drink from the Oasis. However Gaucho’s gaze kept blurring in and out of a stream of time that he couldn’t quite place. There was Ampere .. splashing in the water under the heat of the sun … and then Sohalia, bathed in moonlight with his wings wrapped around her pale shoulders.

Which was real?

And where..

Wh-

Mara bit Gaucho’s ear hard, drawing blood but also drawing his mind out of the maze that it seemed to happily wander into. The dun grunted, unphased, but lowered his muzzle once again to drink. Water flowed down his throat, replenishing his hydration but not his sanity. 

The two companions nervously looked from one to the other. His madness hadn’t yet infected their bonds, but already they could feel the darkness creeping closer and closer to them, threatening to pull them under just as it had done with Gaucho.

Image Credits

Rhoa Posts: 175
Deceased atk: 5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Colt :: Pegasus :: 17hh :: 3 HP: 65 | Buff: ENDURE
Odd
You owe him this..

But it didn’t matter. I still wanted to turn around, to run from this obligation and the conversation which necessarily had to happen. Couldn’t I just cheat fate? Couldn’t I skirt that which I knew I had to do? The Hidden Falls were thick and dark in places - certainly places that Ranjiri knew of. Couldn’t I just leave without saying goodbye?

I knew that I couldn’t, but for a few silvery moments as I flew, these thoughts consoled me.

I had known, even though Father had never said anything, that he had been disappointed in Zenobia when she had left home. My oldest sister had ever been a wandering soul, but that her travels never really brought her home had always been a point of contention for Father. And now here I was, second oldest, about to do the same thing.

Haven’t I stayed long enough? Aren’t I old enough to make my own choices, to finally remove myself from my Father’s shadow and be my own man? And so what if that takes me from the Throat? Surely the greatness of our homeland does not rest on my shoulders? And there’s Ranjiri to think of … It isnt’ that I’m leaving my family, it’s that I’m starting a new one. Of course it was be easier if Ranjiri had never left, if we could start this new chapter of our lives beneath the orange sky of the Throat but …

But I would do anything for her... including what I was about to do.  

Steeling my resolve, I flew towards the Throat

Image Credits
Ascended Helovian

GAUCHO

Despite the sound of wing beats overhead, the dun’s head didn’t rise. This was very uncharacteristic of him, for normally those coming near his borders didn’t make it more than a few wing-strokes inside before being greeted by the Wildfire. Was it merely the fact that it was Rhoa overhead, a sight and accompanying sound that he had heard often? Or was it something else?

Gaucho was busy staring at his reflection. The way the light from his antlers pulsed reflected dully in the water, but was accompanied by the fire on his wings. The water trailed from blue to orange around him, darkening in the centre where his blocky skull closed in. His steely gaze watched the bone that pierced his nostril thoughtfully, twisting his muzzle to make the pale scrap of bone dance.

It’sssssss Rhoa.. Mara prompted thoughtfully, slithering onto the sands before him and staring up at him with her great, wide, black eyes. Her tongue forked from her lips, smelling and tasting the sweat that dripped off of him. Your ssssssson, she added after a moment’s consideration, praying silently that this last detail wasn’t necessary.

The dun paused, pulling his gaze slowly from the water to the snake before him. He regarded her with a look of confusion, as if not recognizing her. Fearing for the safety of her mind-sister, Vorsa landed near the snake, reading to interrupt any unintentionally hostile movements on Gaucho’s part. But of course there weren’t any. The Wildfire merely nodded his head, swaying slightly on his hooves as he turned to regard the sky through squinted eyes.

Image Credits

Odd

I am surprised that, even as I near him, he doesn’t stir. Is there something in the water? Is something happening here such that my arrival means little? But of course .. why should it mean anything? I’ve only been gone a handful of days, nothing to have concerned him about, or with. He doesn’t know that I now belong to the Hidden Falls, that I come here not as a member of this herd.

But hopefully still as a member of this family?

I can feel myself tense as I landed tentatively beside him. My embered-wings fall short of the blazing sight of my Father, and not for the first time, I feel insignificant next to him.

”Hello Father..” I begin, forcing a smile onto my face and trying to find the words to begin the speech I had rehearsed on my way over. I tuck my wings against my flanks and try to stand a little taller as I regard him. Does he look angry? No… he looks .. what? What is it?

My sea-green gaze scans over Vorsa and Mara who are on the sands before him. I give each of them a smile, not for the first time wishing that I had a companion of my own to share my mind with. I inhale deeply, enjoying the salty taste of the Throat on my tongue, before turning my attention back to my Father. He still hasn’t said anything, and I wonder if I should worry about that.

Could he know already? Could someone have heard, and flown back here before me? I swallow the words on my tongue, now wanting to choose them more carefully if he already knows the cards that I hold.

Image Credits
Ascended Helovian

GAUCHO

Through a fog, Gaucho watched as Rhoa landed.

Rhoa..

The name was hazy in his mind, and so was the boy before him. The burning patterns that looked like coals clinging to life that radiated out from the boy’s wings made Gaucho feel dizzy and drowsy. As he folded the appendages against his flanks the dun was glad, and exhaled a sigh of relief.

Hello Father.. The words sounded far away, as if reaching him through a cloud. Gaucho’s ears flickered only slightly and his nostrils flared. This might have been interpreted as an acknowledgment of the boy’s greeting, but in truth, it wasn’t at all. Gaucho hardly recognized his son.  It was only instinct and custom that held the dun’s gaze upon the grey stallion who addressed him.

On the sands, Vorsa hooted fretfully as she looked up at Rhoa. She would have gone to him - would have landed upon his wither if not for the fear of scalding him when she did. Fire for her, was a curse. A tether that linked her only to Gaucho. Mara peered upwards as well with silent, worried onyx eyes. She knew that she couldn’t communicate with the boy, and even if she could, what might she say? That his father was going crazy? That madness had already eaten way a good portion of the Wildfire’s brain? And what good would that do? The boy - for he was still very much a boy - was in no condition to take over the herd, no condition to do anything, really. If Ampere or Sohalia were here, perhaps they could help .. perhaps Einarr, or Meg. But this was Rhoa, the most docile and needy of Gaucho’s children, and the snake knew that this news was not for him to bear.

Image Credits

Odd

I can feel my resolve beginning to waver. What have I done? He isn’t even speaking to me. I swallow.

Hard

”So-” I begin, meaning to ask him if he knows or not, saving myself the lengthy explanation that I had planned, but the words die on my tongue. He looks..

My gaze scours his face, the dark lines and dark patches that I know so well appear sunken and weary. His eyes look glazed, as if he’s looking right through me.

As if he doesn’t know me.

”F-Father?” I stammer, sounding stupid and young but not caring one bit. Something is clearly wrong here, and my willful ignorance demands that I think there must be something else wrong - that it can’t possibly be the news that I have to bear that is causing him to be like this. To look like this.

Again my gaze moves to Mara and Vorsa, silently pleading that they tell me what it is that is causing him to appear to sunken, so defeated. Is this because of me? I want to know, or something else? Though I loathe to think of our family, or the Throat in any sort of danger that could weigh on my father quite so heavily, part of me does secretly hope that it is. But the companions of course, say nothing to me. I knew that they wouldn’t, and yet part of me hoped that some small miracle would occur to impart speech upon them, if only for a few seconds.

”What’s wrong?” I ask finally, taking a step forward, muzzle stretched outwards to try and draw his attention upwards into my eyes.

Image Credits
Ascended Helovian

GAUCHO

In response, Gaucho merely grunts. Has this boy always been so needy? He thinks that he has. Ever since he was a foal, separated early from his mother and twin, he had been broken. A fractured heart that has never quite repaired itself. Perhaps the fractured was never to be fixed, for despite the fact that Rhoa had found love with Ranjiri, the boy was still standing uselessly before his father, bleating on.

Father

Oh right. Understanding dawned on the dun and everything shattered into a million clear pieces. Rhoa.

Gauch’s gaze cleared somewhat and his ears perked forward. What’s wrong? the boy had asked. The dun’s lips parted in a weary smile, and his antlered skull shook slightly. There was much wrong, but nothing that he would burden the boy with. Not now, and likely not ever.

”Nothing. Gaucho fine.” He grunted, raising and shrugging a wing. But did he really look that bad? He turned his head back to the water’s edge, but the reflection cast there was murky and distorted.

Wasn’t it?

Vorsa trilled happily at his hooves, raising and flying to land in his antlers, pleased that for a moment, the darkness that weighed heavily on their bond had lifted. Her light cast beautiful patterns all down Gaucho’s forehead and glistened in his gaze.

”Rhoa look like have something to say.” Gaucho observed, turning his blocky skull back to the boy and raising a curious brow. He folded his raised wing back against his flank and cocked a hip, assuming a much more relaxed - and focused - posture.

Image Credits

Odd

The change in him was so fast that it was nearly imperceptible. Had I not seen him with my own eyes only moments before, I wouldn’t have believed the things my mind told me. Of course he was fine - weary from battles, endless patrols and the duties of a leader, but none of that was new? Besides, it was Tallsun, and with it came relentless heat. Of course he looked tired.

Taking a breath, I nodded and smiled. The fact that he noticed I had something to say only further supported his claim that nothing was wrong.

”I did, yes. But..” I trailed off, allowing my gaze to also land in the water for a moment as I composed my thoughts. The speech I had planned for this moment seemed simultaneously too far out of my reach, and also useless. The words I had thought I would say … they now sounded petty and small. I hated how afraid I felt, and yet couldn’t shake the feeling that I had let him down somehow.

”I followed Ranjiri,” I began, without even knowing that I was going to start speaking. ”Like I said I would. I found where she was staying in the Hidden Falls..”

Was there any point in mentioning that I had waited on their borders? That I had first been met by Ktulu, Champion of the Hidden Falls and as it turned out, Ranjiri’s mother? They didn’t seem like important parts of this story, and yet they would be easy ways to stall for time. To help bridge the distance between where I was, and where I needed to be.

Image Credits
Ascended Helovian

GAUCHO

The dun listened with a quiet patience reserved only for his children - even those who were grown. Gaucho wasnt’ stupid - he’d seen the way that Rhoa looked at Ranjiri, knew that he had given up his position as a warrior to become a crafter only after the gold-pointed mare had taken on the position first. He saw the pain and anguish in his son’s eyes when he had been informed of Ranjiri’s decision to leave.

It was only logical that he loved the girl. And how could he not? Ranjiri had grown into a fine, strong, and capable mare on the sands, and while Gaucho had never looked at her as anything but an adopted daughter, he wasn’t surprised that his son hadn’t seen her that way. That he had seen her for what she really was.

Gaucho’s skull bobbed. He could guess what was coming next.

”You love her.” The Wildfire interjected before his son could continue. It was not phrased as a question, or even as an observation. It was a fact.

Wearily, but not because of the parasite in his brain, Gaucho sighed. So Rhoa was leaving, of course that’s what it was he had to say. What else could it be? The girl he loved had left, and so the boy would follow. Gaucho wouldn’t hold this against him - would have chuckled and perhaps nudged his son for his stupid assumptions had he known that deep down inside, Rhoa thought that perhaps Gaucho would be angry.

Image Credits

Odd

I can feel surprise colouring my features.

It had occurred to me that father would have heard by now that I had relocated - that I bore the banner of green now rather than orange. But it had never crossed my mind that my feelings for Ranjiri would play into this debacle at all. And how did he know? My father is not the most observant, especially not when it comes to emotions. So how did he know. How does he know?

I tried to stand taller, suddenly finding myself in the middle of a conversation that I hadn’t planned on having. I would never hide my feelings about Jiji, but nor had I planned on using them as a justification for leaving. I had made this choice, and it was I who would take responsibility for it.

”I do.” I confirmed, knowing that his words weren’t a question, but wanting to affirm them anyways. ”For some time now ..” I added, with a small private smile. My eyes dropped to my hooves as the image of her eyes danced before mine, and the scent of her hair filled my memory. ”When she left ..” My voice trailed off and my head shook slightly, causing my mane to cascade down my shoulders. ”It was impossible to endure. I need her in my life, and to be by her side. I have accepted a place in the Hidden Falls..” I swallowed hard. ”But Father, my home will never change my heart. “

Image Credits
Ascended Helovian

GAUCHO

Gaucho only chuckled as he watched how uncomfortable his son seemed to become beneath is gaze. Did the boy forget how he came to be? That love had made the dun do strange and irrational tasks as well? Well...not that leaving was irrational or strange. It wouldn’t have been Gaucho’s first choice - obviously he would have wished to have both his son and Jiji remain on the sands, but such things were not unheard of.

The dun’s large skull bobbed dismissively as Rhoa tried to dissuade any thoughts of his allegiance changing.  ”Gaucho know-” He murmured warmly and knowingly. If Rhoa would turn away from all that he had been given all of his life, simply for a girl, then he wasn’t the man that Gaucho had raised. That his son would remain true to his bloodline regardless of where he found himself was admirable, but also expected.

Then, with a sudden narrowing of his eyes, the dun stepped forward, ears tilting backwards slightly. ”This not because of a baby, is it?” He demanded, his voice taking on a hardened paternal edge. Love was all well and fine, but if the real reason Ranjiri had run back to her own true family was because his idiot son had knocked her up, then the two of them would have a problem. Gaucho stiffened, waiting for an answering. Though he had raised Rhoa to be better than this, Gaucho was no stranger to the outcome of impulsive sexual acts. Though Gaucho wondered if Rhoa’s previous child was any evidence of his parenting skills. Though this was not the child of some random mare. This was Ranjiri, and he wouldn’t let Rhoa do bad by her.

Image Credits

Odd

I can’t help the way my eyes widen in something like horror and surprise. Because of a baby? Does he really think so little of m- I stop the thought. What of Khvasir? Was he not alone in this world because he had been impulsively created? If Glacia would have, wouldn’t I have welcomed her (perhaps not with open arms) into the Throat where we would all be together? Was it really so surprisign to think that had I gotten Ranjiri pregnant that I would have, to make up for the sins of my past, followed her ?

I swallowed. My guilt and shame couldn’t keep the excitement I felt at the thought of having a foal with Ranjiri (specifically the creating the foal part).

”Of course not!” I said suddenly and sharply, wanting to feel outrage instead of shame, and failing. I stare at my Father, meeting his gaze and holding it, trying to appear as though I am more than just his wayward son.  My mind flickers back to the thought of haivng a foal with Jiji, and I can’t help or even fight the smile that begins to part my lips. There is the physical aspect of the deed that is exciting to be sure, but there is something else as well. Something that wasn’t present with Glacia … love. I love her and the idea of creating something that is us makes my heart soar in my chest.  ”Perhaps one day though..” I add after a moment, my smile widening.

Image Credits
Ascended Helovian

GAUCHO

Rhoa’s expression calmed Gaucho’s nerves immediately. The boy wasn’t much of a liar, and given who the current topic was centred on, he didn’t believe that Rhoa could tell a lie to save his life in this moment. Good. So there would be no shotgun wedding between the two.

However what Rhoa said next caused the dun to tilt his head with amusement and raise a speculative brow. Perhaps one day? Judging by that shit-eating grin which plastered itself on Rhoa’s features, Gaucho thought that his son might just be hoping that one day happened to be in his near future. His very near future, mayhap.

Well alright then. That was that.

Once again Gaucho’s large skull nodded, though this time he exhaled a long-held breath. ”You hurt her, and you have Gaucho to answer to.” The dun knew all about the Constrictor, and while if Rhoa fucked up in her lands he would learn about her too, if his boy hurt the girl … well. The jurisdiction would pass over to him, one way or the other. That warning out of the way, Gaucho’s expression softened.

”Rhoa and Jiji always welcome in Throat. Ties still good with Falls, but let there not be secrets between us. We still blood.”

The Wildfire dipped his skull low, releasing his son from his bonds of servitude within and upon the bloody sands of the Throat. He was his own man now, for better or worth, with a woman worth coming home to now waiting on him.

It was time he made his own place in the world, and doing so with Ranjiri, was a good first step.

Image Credits

Odd

I do not take his words lightly. My muzzle bobs up and down as I hastily agree. I am not worried, however, for I know that I am not capable of hurting Jiji ... not ever again. The sight of her angry and pained gaze the one time, was enough for me. I'll never be able to endure it again, and so I shall devote my life to ensuring that I won't have to.

I warmly accept his offer, extending a foreleg downwards so that I could return his bow. Mine is lower, as if the gravity of what we've just discussed is literally pulling me down. Even so, my heart feels light. I wish only that mother was here, so that I might say goodbye to her too. But, a bitter part of me consoles, she has never said goodbye to you..

"Thank you Father. I won't be a stranger." I conclude, lifting my nose away from my outstretched knee. With a smile towards Vorsa and Mara, I take a step back, unfurling my wings. I allow myself one glance back at the sands which had been my home before turning away.

I feel sad of course, but not weighed down. No, for I go now to a brighter future.

To Ranjiri.

With my heart in my throat and excitement bursting in my veins, I lift off of the bloody sands and angle myself towards the west, where the Hidden Falls await me.

Image Credits
Ascended Helovian

GAUCHO

Gaucho watched silently as Rhoa retreated a few steps and then launched himself into the air. The dun was thankful for these few moments of clarity that he had been afforded, thankful that he had been able to see his son off with eyes which were clear. Only now..

Rhoa was gone .. Yes, but on good terms-
Ampere was gone. She might not be-
Sohalia was gone. No, she here, she on the san-
Ivezho was gone. No, he wanderi-
Zenobia was gone. She-
Hawke was gone. Aelin will kno-

Darkness crowded his gaze with every name, every memory. Where was Einarr? Where was Hector .. Midas.. Kri .. names of the long dead rung in his ears. Where were his old friends?

Where was his sanity?

Gaucho stumbled back to the water front, lowering his muzzle into the water and drinking with out purpose. His large hooves sunk into the sand as a buzzing sound filled his ears. In the water, his eyes saw a plethora of colours dancing on the surface, making patterns that didn't exist. In his antlers, Vorsa hooted sadly and flew from her place to land next to Mara on the sands. His sanity had been nice while it had lasted, but madness it seemed, descended all the harder. The snake hissed but said nothing, her eyes trained on the dun. She wondered if it wouldn't be better to just put him out of his misery .. to end him before the madness would do it for him.

However it was moments like the one that they just had that held her from poisoning him. Perhaps there was still hope .. perhaps he was still in there, somewhere...

Image Credits
Please tag me in every post! Magic/Force is allowed on Gaucho at any time.