the Rift

[OPEN] Reluctance

Ahvelyn Posts: 44
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.3 hh :: 13 [Orangemoon] HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Jen

A shiver ran down my spine when I returned to that grey border. The season was warm everywhere but here. In the North, Tallsun had merely melted half the snow into a disappointing slush, but I stayed regardless. Time away had been no better for me than anything else, and so I decided that it was a better decision to return than to continue a pointless existence wrapped in solitude.

Those were my days, then. Comparing the two evils, choosing the lesser, but recognizing that all of it had very little bearing on whatever remaining life I could cling to. I did not yet feel death calling, but I did not feel strong, either. I also did not like to lie to myself, just as I have never liked to lie to you, my son. That is why I speak to you of such dark things now, despite the fact that I have no hope of outshining them with good. There's simply not enough of that in the world to overcome the grief, is there? Come now, you're older, been dead long enough. Surely you must know a truth as simple as this. I imagine it's the first thing you learn when you die.

However, being alive meant that dwelling on those things gave me a more haggard appearance. I was thinner than I ought to be, and my eyes drooped with a permanent exhaustion. The only thing still neat about me was my hair, which never seemed to tangle despite its inordinate length. One could suggest that my failure to bite it shorter was a sign of poor self care, but if that was the case then I was the most beautiful failure of hygiene to ever blemish this earth.

But, I digress. I came to the border of the Aurora Basin, hoping to find that nothing had changed and that my life there could continue as whatever normal I had falsely shaped for myself. When I stood there, looking up at the sentinels furthering decay, I knew this much was true. I could count on the Aurora Basin for that until the day I died: the place was static. Perhaps having their patron god be one of time froze their lands in more ways than one.

Ruminating on a religion I'd never bothered to observe, gazing upon ruins I had reluctantly called home and wished to live in again, I think I might have smiled. But if I did it was only for a moment. These pleasures never lasted very long, and I can't say now that I remember what my face looked like then, anyway.

Do you?

""
Ahvelyn
image credit to danjahmouse at deviantart.com &
background credit to Poe Tatum at flickr.com

Looking to join again! Grumpy bitch is back. Tagging @Tiamat perhaps?

Tiamat the Ocean's Light Posts: 360
Aurora Basin Lady atk: 8 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.2 :: 6 years HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Nimue :: Common Orca Leviathan :: Boil Reli
the ocean loved her and knew everything that made her.
and every time she’d walk to the shore,
she’d smile at the ocean
because the waves told her story.
Laughter trills through the highland air, dancing in soprano cadences off the snowy rock walls. In a lopsided circle, a vibrant splash of color among the earthy greens and browns, the blue mare dances. Her movements are carefree, the steps to a dance of her own heart and the earth that moves beneath dainty, cloven hooves.

At the center of her impromptu waltz, lies a large, speckled egg—floats, rather. The glittering orb is encased carefully in a pocket of water, suspended by magic and cradled by the lazy, sinuous currents that encircle it. Tiamat cavorts around and around, as if already playing with the precious creature that rests inside. “Oh what a beautiful day!” She exclaims breathlessly, sliding to a halt in a cascade of shells and sapphire hair. Meandering now, she smiles (almost bashfully) at her unborn companion. She imagines showing the beloved babe her cherished home, white eyes absorbing the Basin’s beauty as if for the first time.

It is quite by chance that the ocean mare wanders towards the borders, stumbling across a mare standing at the valley’s entrance (or perhaps it is anything but chance that brings these two together—rather an outline of fate, destiny finally bringing the two strangers to one another). Tiamat, in all of her pureness and naivety, could never have considered the connection that lies between herself and this mare she has never met. A link to a past long forgotten; buried beneath years of childlike incorruption, sheltered by her own mind and fragile heart. A hidden harbinger of—what? Elation, perhaps? Or devastation?

(Only time will tell.)

All the same, the young Mender approaches the beautiful stranger with a sincere kindness about her features, the unfamiliarity between them a trivial fact when considering the great generosity of her heart. A smile warms sapphire lips, white teeth flashing happily beneath the cool mountain sun.

Tiamat is anything but shallow in her warmth; incessantly opening herself to others, and this mare is no different. “Hello there!” The ocean mare calls out merrily, the length of her leonine tail curling from side to side in time with her hips. Reaching the shadows beneath the Sentinels’ steely gaze, Tiamat stops and reaches out towards the other, offering a gesture of greeting (and the seedlings of friendship, should the fates be kind enough).

“Welcome to the Aurora Basin, my name is Tiamat,” her smile broadens easily. Having never seen this lovely mare before, and happening across her while hovering at the borders, it is only natural for the blue healer to assume that she has only just come upon the Basin. Her heart thrums happily in anticipation, always excited for a new face. “Is there anything I can help you with?” It doesn’t yet dawn on her that a large egg floating at her side in a pocket of water would be strange. She is far too caught up in her enthusiasm to notice a peculiarity that has come to naturally to herself—if nothing else, it should be a good ice breaker between them.

notes; AAHHH YAY SO EXCITED<33
“Speech.”

image credits
please tag Tia in all replies!
magic & force are permitted.

Ahvelyn Posts: 44
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.3 hh :: 13 [Orangemoon] HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Jen

The moment I saw her I knew. My features first fell and then froze, for despite the fact that I had looked so long for the babe in blue I had never prepared myself for the moment I succeeded. The presence of the egg and water pocket would not have shocked me otherwise, I had seen how strange a place Helovia was, but upon seeing her it meant even less than usual. I think, after coming to Helovia and seeing the Endless Blue, knowing that in some ways the world and my journey ended here, I had resigned myself to never finding her. To arrive at my old home and already find her in residence was a devastating fact that struck me into stillness. I could not respond, not properly at least. I could only think of all the time lost, and upon realizing all I had missed I think a part of me broke inside.

But what was strange, and what I became fully aware of as I stared quite rudely at the small mare, was that she was happy. And for a moment I wanted to grab her, to wrap my neck across her withers and throw my weight against her and shake, to cry out: How can you be this way, how can you smile after living the life that you have? Cry, child, sink into sadness as I have done! Exist in a life that is the pure simplicity of trying not to drown.

She asked me if she could help me and that was all I wanted to say. I looked horrified, it wasn't something that she could miss. I didn't know how smart the girl was but there was nothing shaking or hiding that expression of pure terror upon finally coming face to face with all I had searched for and realizing that it wasn't what I wanted. Had I come here to save her, to protect her, or had I been lying to myself all along? I think I realized, then, what a fantastic ruse it had been. I had told myself and so many others that I sought a little sister to care for, when all I had ever wanted was someone to share my pain.

Perhaps I was too disgusted with myself to tell her, then, anything different than I would have told someone else. I had the words, the horrible truth of "Dear Tiamat, I am your sister from a life lived long in abuse and horror, and I've come to assure you that whatever past you thought you had run from is back, and it's here, and it's me." I could have said it and it would have been easy, because despite the fear that gripped me it was a selfish thing and I had lived selflessly for so long that I wanted nothing more than to make myself happy, even if it meant punishing another. I knew nothing of the delusion she lived in, and how I would have shattered it if I'd told her the truth; that would only have made things worse.

Somehow I managed to swallow my uncertainty and my expression turned blank, which was better than before. "I am Ahvelyn. I was a crafter here, an apprentice of Johnny's. I wish to return to the herd and resume my duties," I recited, my voice metallic and rigid. Everything was fact, because emotion was too difficult too control--too unreliable.

"It's nice to meet you, Tiamat," I said into the wind as if I'd never seen her before in my life.

""
Ahvelyn
image credit to danjahmouse at deviantart.com &
background credit to Poe Tatum at flickr.com

@Tiamat. ;-;

Tiamat the Ocean's Light Posts: 360
Aurora Basin Lady atk: 8 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.2 :: 6 years HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Nimue :: Common Orca Leviathan :: Boil Reli
the ocean loved her and knew everything that made her.
and every time she’d walk to the shore,
she’d smile at the ocean
because the waves told her story.
Little does the ocean mare know just how fragile her world is. Here, standing in front of her as a stranger, is someone who has the ability to shatter all that she knows to be true—and all that she knows about herself. She could be broken, falling to the ground with the millions of pieces of her mangled, fledgling heart strewn about her, and perhaps her mind along with it. Fate has been kind to the child in blue (too kind, perhaps) as the years have sheltered and coddled her, shielding her from anything that would prepare her for a bombshell of this magnitude. Blissfully she smiles, unaware that the threads of destiny have finally intertwined.

All the same, even Tiamat does not miss the strange expression that suddenly overwhelms the larger mare’s features. It is as if she’s seen a ghost—the lines of her face caught between horror and fear. The young Mender leans forward, suddenly concerned, and worried that she might have said or done something to offend who she hoped would be her newfound friend (although she cannot think of how her greeting could’ve been in any way insulting?).

“Is there something I can help you with?” She inquires again, softer this time, hoping to chip away at the ice that so suddenly seemed to form between them. Tiamat’s brow knits together, fluted ears slanting forward in anticipation of a response. There is nothing that gives an explanation, no warning for how their conversation will continue. As quickly as it had appeared, the mare’s terror is gone, washed away by something cooler. The ocean mare relaxes then, though the length of her lion tail is still behind her, dark locks spread across the ground.

Much to her surprise—and joy—this blue-laced mare introduces herself as a former member of the Basin! Tiamat’s eyes are immediately alight with happiness, and she reaches towards the other briefly, eager to become acquainted with her new comrade. “A pleasure to meet you, Ahvelyn! I apologize for not recognizing you, there are so many faces here, I guess they kind of blur together sometimes,” Tiamat shakes her head, almost bashful, and giggles breathlessly to herself. “And Johnny—he’s so delightful!” Her grin widens, ever so fond of the little candy man, “I’m sure he’ll be excited to have you back.” Of this, she has no doubt; she has never seen Johnny as anything but jubilant, and is sure that he would welcome Ahvelyn back with open arms.

With her vigor renewed, the ocean mare gestures to the larger unicorn, pivoting on dainty heels and calling gleefully over her shoulder, “Come, come! Let’s get you settled in again!” She waits for her company to join her at her shoulder, the pocket of water and her precious egg on the other side, before venturing further into the mountain valley. “Did you have a cave before?” White eyes glance to Ahvelyn curiously, ready to follow her should she know where she wants to go (as Tiamat has every intention in giving her new friend a proper welcoming!).

“Speech.”

image credits
please tag Tia in all replies!
magic & force are permitted.