black my eyes [open]

Leliel Posts: 55
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 9
ali

LELIEL</style>
 Art by Blu
 Code by Boom Boom</style>

The longer FrostFall lingers the more I begin to dislike it. The snow, fresh and soft, was nice at the beginning, but now it is beginning to compact on the ground. It makes walking without sliding difficult and foraging for food even more difficult. There are some places I have been that the snow is still soft, but is nearly shoulder deep and threatens to swallow you whole. If any foal stumbled into that they wouldn't make it out before hypothermia set in and began shutting down vital organs, allowing death to more easily take them in its cold embrace.

I think I prefer the snow drifts to the hard, compact snow that I've found now. It has begun to form layers of ice and it takes far too much work to scrape off the layers to get down to the dried, brittle grass that provides such little sustenance. Still, I scrape my blue hoof across the ground, gouging the snow slowly but surely. When a bite of grass reveals itself I take it. When there is nothing more I move on, sliding across the slick ground in the most ungraceful fashion. When my sliding stops I start all over again.

Eventually I work my way to one of the trees that have turned bare save for the icicles that dangle from it's skeletal branches. They are of little threat to me, for if they fall they are not high enough to penetrate my skin and they certainly aren't big enough to break bones. I stare at the tree for a few moments before I begin to chew on the bark, pulling strips of it from the tree and leaving the wood bare to the elements. The taste of bark isn't something I enjoy, but I'm hungry and I must feed myself if I intend to survive FrostFall.

NIGHT FALLS AND I'M ALONE.</style>

Bellatrix Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

With the ravenous urgency of any starved creature, the mare tore away at the frozen grasses. Snow clung to her mottled muzzle and dark forelimbs, clear signs that she had been grazing for quite sometime. Her too thin bodice was regaining some of it's old vigor with the nourishment, for this meal was one of the first she'd had in a long time. There didn't seem any real point in sustaining herself to Birdsong, not when she had nothing to live for in this foreign world. But her strong body was built to endure, and it could not be convinced to die at the cold hands of Frostfall.

The dappled dame meandered through the field, engaged in a slippery mix of walking and filling her mouth. She was no tall horse, and the depth of the snow made her movements thick and slow. The frosty powder did not suit the hot-blooded ancestry in her veins, and with every passing step sharp jabs of pain found the pads of her hooves and snow covered knees. It was no easy task. Fortunately, the familiar meadow seemed to have held more wealth beneath the white blanket than any other place she'd been to in Helovia so far.

It was the blur of dark blue in the corner of her sky pools that alerted Bellatrix to the stallion's presence. Her cool gaze rose, eyes widening slightly at the enormous brute in the distance. She found herself glad that it was a pegasus and not another damned unicorn, ready to lavish the world with arrogance. Still, she wasn't naive enough to believe that all pegasus were amicable, just because she'd never met one that wasn't. She was far too tired and weak to hold the same level of anger that she'd had for the group of stallions she'd met in the Steppe. For this boy, she only wore a look of weary disdain. "Hello." Dry words left her half frozen maw, almost completely devoid of emotion. Slight traces of hope warmed her tone, probably just a result of the small remnants of food in her shrunken stomach.

Bellatrix

Hidden Account
ali

LELIEL</style>
 Art by Blu

I must be hungrier than I thought I was to not hear hoofsteps crunching over ice and snow as a lone mare approached me. It wasn't until she spoke and I heard her voice that I turned my head, still chewing the mouthful of bark. I swallowed, my nose wrinkling at the scratchiness of the bark, but when it hit my belly it helped fill the growing void there and quiet the growling it had been doing. There is very little behind her greeting, it almost feels robotic in nature. See someone and say hello, whether you want to or not. Honestly, if she didn't want to tell me hello she didn't have to, it wouldn't have bothered me. She wouldn't have been the first to ignore me and she wouldn't be the last. But maybe her parents raised her to greet those she met.

"Hello." I return, my tone easily matching the mare's. As she stands there I let my eyes sweep over her thin frame, taking in every line of muscle and every jutting bone that protrudes. It's nothing more than a reminder that Frostfall was taking its toll on everyone around, mare and stallion alike, winged or unwinged. Finally I notice the look on her face. The clear disdain that she shows there only make a glower settled onto my own dark features. What had I done to her to deserve a look like that?

Maybe I'm a little more ... sensitive ... than I would like to believe.

Quickly I turn my head away from the mare and begin stripping long pieces of bark from the tree. I toss a few of them in the mare's direction, snorting gruffly as I did. "Eat that." I said. "Or don't. Maybe you're not as hungry as you look." I slap my tail against my flanks as I peel a bit more bark off of the tree for myself.

The more I eat it the better it tastes.

I hope I don't turn into a chipmunk.

Unregistered

It was with the same weary gaze that the silver cirqued fae rose her eyes to view the stallion better. He was massive looking, both with the double set wings that protruded from his back and a towering height. Blue, lightning streaks ran up his legs, brightening the black that seemed to cover the rest of his pelt. She had seen strangely colored horses in this land, but none with such a vibrant shade of blue. He was handsome, maybe just for the magic that seemed to be painted on him in her eyes. Suddenly, he started to scowl, and the ebon locked mare wondered what she had done to offend yet another boy.

"If I am not welcome in your presence, either, you need only tell me and I will go. I have gained enough dislike from stallions in this place." Her words were regaining their edge, the hints of pain showing through her feminine voice. Porcelain orbs laid on the stag's face as she addressed him, waiting to see the same look of arrogance and disapproval that she'd gotten from the Unicorns in the Steppe. She did not wear the same glaring expression that he did, but a tired, almost plaintive, grimace. She didn't want any more harsh words thrown at her, not when all she'd tried to do in this world was survive. To love, even, though she was too uneducated in those ways to be any good. Images of the draft stallion she'd worried over flashed through her mind. What had become of that troubled paint?

The midnight brute's words brought her back from her reverie. Pieces of tree-skin landed on the snow before her, thrown from the stranger. She eyed the dry bark with a quizzical look over her features. In her home, there were few trees, and they'd never been any good for eating. Curious, her mottled velvets stretched down to investigate the stuff, clouds of hot breath curling from her nostrils as she sniffed. Deciding that it didn't smell horrible, the mare gingerly picked up a piece of the bark and began to chew. Not half bad. While the texture was not nearly as pleasant as fresh grass, the tree remnants provided a bit more nourishment then the frozen plants below. Maybe this stallion was not as rude as cold as she'd expected. A smile found her lips as she glanced back over to the dark pegasus. "Thank you, stranger. My name is Bellatrix.

[ooc: Sorry for the delay! <3]

Bellatrix

Svetlana Posts: N/A
Unregistered
A flurry of wings announced yet another horse's arrival. I wasn't certain I should even approach the horses, but I figured I may as well. Both were skinny, although the black-blue was much larger than the silver mare. I had always fared well in winter- I was lucky enough, I suppose. It could've just been as easily me as skinny as a dog as they were. Of course, that's not to say I'm totally unaffected by winter and its lack of nourishment. No, not at all! Simply, I remain with some luster in my eyes and unnerving ADD energy, that served me very well in battle. Not so well in planning and diplomacy, but I got along.

I stood, lingering on the edges as they spoke. Bitter and gaunt their words were, matching themselves. It's no wonder- this Frostfall has been so damned cold, it seems to set into your very bones, lingers in your joints. I drop my head, and like them, begin to graze. The snow's hard and compacted, so I could take off and settle down somewhere else. Rude though. As it was, a polished hoof scraped at the thin layer of ice, breaking through the hard crust into the softer fluff below. Drag the hoof back. Pull it out. Drop muzzle in. Graze. It becomes a quiet chant in the back of my mind, a rhythm that remains, reminding my always-hungry body to eat. Snow coats my muzzle and black wings. My wings are, in fact, iced. I shouldn't have flown so high, for my black appendages were laced in frost. Even now, they were heavier than normal while piled upon my back. Slowly, ever so slowly, I make my way out of the trees as I graze, bite after tasteless bite. When I'm ten feet away from the black one, I murmur a greeting, then return to my food.

Hidden Account
ali

LELIEL</style>
 Art by Blu

The mare spoke and I simply stared at her and waited until she was finished. "Pardon me for speaking in the same tone as you." I replied moments later. I was simply returning the same courtesy to her that she had bestowed upon me. Perhaps it was her attitude that was what got her dislike from other stallions. "You're also the one that looks like you got a mouthful of bitter clover." I pointed out. That was another reason she would get bad responses from my gender. Not every stallion loved a sour mare.

Still, I tossed the mare what little scraps I could off of the tree and she accepted it graciously much to my surprise. She even offered her name, which meant that I would not be able to get away without introducing myself. "Leliel." I settled for a simple introduction. I was not one for all the bells and whistles like my brother was. He would introduce himself with a flourish and expect everyone to fall at his hooves. I still believe he's nothing more than a fool.

"There's more." I shuffled a few steps to the side to allow the mare close to the tree should she choose to. Suddenly another mare appeared, offering little more than a greeting. I inclined my head to her then returned to feeding myself.

Unregistered

"The only thing I've gotten in this wretched place is unwarranted disrespect from the horned." Blue eyes flashed as she spoke, falling coolly across the black pelted boy. She had no qualms with him nor his kind, for the time being. Still, she wandered hoping to find someone with some kindness, some empathy. But more and more, it seemed that only other equines were truly capable of those emotions. She would not stride about like some vain filly, trying to gain the liking of these mutated breeds. If they felt no need to warm their hearts for a stranger, then she felt no need to go out of her way for them.

The ashen mare almost didn't notice the other winged creature which approached. The new stranger was distinctly feminine, and at least seemed to lack the cold words of the male. Ebon tresses bounced as Bellatrix nodded to the mare's quiet greeting, before setting her sights back to the blue veined stallion. Throwing another nasty comment at him seemed appealing, but before she could, he spoke his name. A soft sigh escaped her blackened lips. There was really no use chastising the stranger, even if his own manners were lacking. With a few trudging steps, she neared the tree and stood at Leliel's side before starting to take in more of the bark. "What do you do in this land, Leliel?" Forcing the ice from her words, the doe spoke in between mouthfuls of food.

Bellatrix

Svetlana Posts: N/A
Unregistered
I rustle my wings, pawing at the hard snow encrusting the grass, digging away clods of soil with the tip of a hoof, pushing my muzzle through the layered ice upon the frozen sod. I listened with one ear as the others spoke, not really in the mood to speak much. Of course, courtesy implied that I should speak my name, even if I was hardly listening to the four-winged and the equine. I wait politely for Leliel to speak for himself, and then the words leave my lips. "I'm Svetlana." It's awkward, as they are already holding their own converstation, but I cannot help them speaking, so my head drops and my gray muzzle continues to lip at the yellowed grass, pushing aside the soft snow.

Hidden Account
ali

LELIEL</style>
 Art by Blu

"I am not horned." I pointed out bluntly when the wingless, hornless mare spoke of being disrespected by horned individuals. I could point out that she was probably disrespected because she was being disrespectful first as was the case just moments ago when she met me. That, however, would be pointless because in my time I've come to realize that individuals who are wrong do not like to be told that they are wrong. I will keep my knowledge to myself.

"Greetings, Svetlana." I say when the other mare, winged and more quiet, finally speaks her name. My blue eyes stay on her only momentarily before Bellatrix speaks again. Her question is an odd one. What do I do? What have I ever done? Try to survive, accept blame for something that wasn't my fault.

"Try to survive." I say simply and leave it at that. I have to keep reminding myself that I am no longer in Janat. There is more for me here than just survival.