the Rift

[OPEN] never know what temporal days may bring [Academy, open to all!]

Sohalia the Transcended Posts: 477
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: 10 (ages in Orangemoon) HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Astraeus :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya ChaoticMelodies
[Image: BLX1P.jpg]

SOHALIA

Much time had passed since the Transcended had returned to Helovia.  She had hidden first in the Falls, afraid to return to her homeland lest she be rejected by her ex lover.  She had returned to the Dragon's Throat only to have her sins blow up in her face.  She had moped about the oasis until she had found a home once more among the crafters of the desert.  And now, finally, she had come to feel that perhaps she was more than just her mate, more than just her children, more than just that mare that disappeared time and again, only to come crawling back with her tail between her legs.  Who was going to forgive her transgressions when she had never tried to forgive herself?

On this day, she had decided to pursue a long-dead dream:  the Academy.  Once upon a time, the ivory dove had dreamed of a school nestled among the golden dunes, a safe haven for the young and impressionable from the harsh world outside.  She had been a Sultana at the time, determined to make her mark on her herd and on the world outside their unfinished metal wall.  It would be glorious, she was sure of it:  they could teach children the ways of combat, the ways of magic, the ways of wisdom.  They could shelter their own young while simultaneously gaining leverage over the other herds who might send their own to study.  At the time, the atmosphere of Helovia had been chaotic, and such precautions had made sense, even if they left a bitter taste in the gentle leader's mouth.

Now, though, there had been naught but peace for quite a while.  She had not been present for the Rifts' appearance, nor had she been around for the aftermath.  Still, it had been several moons since she had heard of even the faintest stirrings of trouble.  Though she doubted that it would last, she found herself thinking that she would be much more likely to send her own children into the world when it was calm, like this.  Otherwise she feared she would merely clutch them to her breast in a futile attempt to protect them from the world.  A soft snort escaped her nostrils:  what a joke.  As though she could do anything to save anyone from the perils of truly living.

She set out across the sands, finding individuals and small groups scattered here and there, pausing to chat for a moment, to pass along her message.  By the time she had returned to her favorite spot in the oasis, a particularly large palm with long, shady fronds, the sun was beginning to set.  She had chosen this time of day so that perhaps they could evade the heat - she and any of the herd who wished to answer her summons.  As she passed among family, friends, acquaintances, and even strangers, she had hoped that perhaps she was not the only one who could see the benefit to having an Academy in their herd land.

As she sun sank ever-lower in the sky, Sohalia cleared her throat, gently requesting the attention of any who had gathered.  Speaking before a crowd had never bothered the Transcended, and it was obvious in the kind smile that she cast out across the assembled individuals.  "Good evening," she began, her calm soprano tones flowing across the desert sands.  "If you don't know me, my name is Sohalia.  As you are aware, I have asked you all here because I would like to start an academy - a school, here in the Dragon's Throat, that is open to all of Helovia, young and old.  It is my opinion that our land could benefit greatly from training in combat, magic, and wisdom, as well as the camaraderie that a school would help to build.  I have invited you all here to discuss ideas and plans for this school.  Please, feel free to speak."  And so she waited.

"talk talk talk"

Brighter than the northern lights
Want to live to feel the daylight

Summary:  Soh has spread the word by telling her herdmates and by talking to NPCs in other lands that she is holding a meeting regarding a school that she would like to open in the Dragon's Throat.  You can decide how your character heard about the meeting.  Set in the early evening when the sun is setting and it's cooling off but there is still a good bit of light.  Any questions, please feel free to let me know via PM or Skype (kalaera)!  :D  For more information regarding the original inception of the Academy, click here and for new information or application stuff, click here!

@ Ampere, @ Maren, @ Ophelia, @ Cirrus, @ Elsa, @ Cera, @ Hector, @ Amaris, @Sacre!

Tagging anyone who has expressed interest in the Academy in the past!  If you aren't interested, or if your character has changed players, or whatever, just disregard this!

Also, this thread is OPEN TO ALL!  If you think this is something you'd like to be a part of, then by all means, jump in!  :D

With that being said, this thread has NO POSTING ORDER.  I'm afraid that if it gets too many people, it will be a hassle to keep things straight!  :D

I plan to post again in about a week - so sometime around September 2-ish.
Please tag Sohalia in all replies.
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Want to place an order?  Visit Crystalline Creations here!
Want to plot with Sohalia?  Visit her plot page here!

Ampere The Mother of Companions Posts: 719
Dragon's Throat Sultana atk: 9 | def: 11 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 hh :: 6 years HP: 73 | Buff: DANCE
Kygo :: Green Cheek Conure :: None Blu
A M P E R E
"Any existence deprived of freedom is a kind of death" -- Michel Aoun

After trudging around the desert for a few weeks since her return, Ampere was starting to feel useless. At first the notion of returning had been enough of a task that doing anything else might have crippled her, but slowly she was readjusting to the herd life and day by day she was refreshing the faces of all those she'd left behind. It meant more and more she was left with this hole inside of her, a hole she had previously stuffed full of work, to the point of breaking sometimes.

Her tale was much akin to Sohalia's, so it was little surprise that when the pale dove ran across her and murmured some brief information about the Academy, Ampere took an immediate interest. She had shared a similar ideal not too long ago, after a particularly heart breaking blow delivered by her children when they appeared upon the dunes with wolves in chains tow. For all her yelling and fighting all these years she felt as if she had never made a mark on Helovia's impression with bonding. Maybe, she had thought, she needed to alter her methods. Instead of shouting, perhaps a lecture? If not bonding was impossible for this land, then how about experienced and genuine bonded pairs instructing the new on the best methods of care?

An academy, Ampere had decided, was a perfect solution to many of her problems. So she readily followed the Transcended, listening attentively as the mare began to explain her own ideas to the gathering. "I think we can combine it with the church," Ampere spoke up, lifting her head as her blue gaze swept the crowd. "The building has been a massive project for the church, and would be equipped with many of the academy's needs. They could run on alternate cycles, so as to really put the large structure to its best use." That had been Ampere's original plan, and why she had become so eager with seeing the church's construction through previously.

Credits: Image by Tabini
Coding by Tamme

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Elsa the Icebound Posts: 644
World's Edge Protector atk: 6 | def: 10.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.2 Hands :: Six (Frostfall) HP: 73 | Buff: BULK
Edgar :: Plain Zephyr :: Arctic & Wakiya Klare
E L S A
Pottery and ventriloquy, candle making..

Rumors were flying about a school opening in the Dragon’s Throat. It was idea that piqued Elsa’s interest. She’d always been the one to have a soft spot for children, especially those that were wanting to learn. The only downfall was that she needed to travel to the Throat. Shida was there… and the idea of possibly running into her was heartbreaking. She lost one of her daughters, all because she was an idiot. It hurt, especially after her father disappeared not soon after.

Edgar solemnly crowed in agreement, ruffling his feathers uncomfortably at the thought of seeing the bird-eating child. Shida held a special place in his heart, but at the same time… she did try to eat him. Elsa shook her head at the sudden shift in his thoughts, but slowly managed to convince herself to make the trip. If she knew Shida at all, chances were she wouldn’t be within a thousand feet of the meeting. Something within Elsa just assumed that Shida and structured learning were two things that would never go together.

The flight south was dull, and Elsa arrived much quicker than she had intended. She spotted a small group forming, assuming that this was where she needed to be. With the hope that she wouldn’t be shot down for trespassing, Elsa landed nearby and dipped her head in greeting to the two Pegasus that were gathered. Sadly, the blue one she recognized as that annoying ass blue bird that she sometimes ran across in the Threshold. But Elsa was going to let bygones be bygones for now.

Sohalia, the other, began to speak. She introduced herself as well as opening the floor for ideas on how to run the school. Blue bird wanted to combine it with the church, which was surprising for Elsa to hear. She had no idea they were taking on such a large project here. ”If there is a church, like she says, I think that would be a wonderful idea. I also know that having the children visit the other herds would be beneficial. As far as wisdom goes, the trips would give them a chance to explore different lands safely, and learn about their patron God’s. I would be willing to help with magic as well, I have experience both in inherent magic, and crafting magic.” although the crafting magic was something far gone, Elsa still had memories of how to control such a thing. It was almost as if she was cracking boulders in half just yesterday.

words --- | tags -- | ooc ---

Table by Vossity
Credits
  • Any force can be used against Elsa.
  • Please tag any posts that involves Elsa.

Maren the Crownless Posts: 264
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.0 :: 6 HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Mr. Teatime :: Siberian Tiger :: Sing Yewrezz

BY THE PRECEPTS OF HER PURITY

There had been rumors, little birds; babbling and twittering around. Then it got silent again and she had forgotten about it, that was... until she remembered again. Which was unusual, as she wouldn't think things like that could occur, but the whispers had started to echo its words once more in her brain and this time she did not ignore them. She shook the dust of her coat, rocked her mane to the right side of her crown, rubbed the sleep out of her eyes and took off.

She felt the warm breeze of the dunes brushing against her rust striped coat when her eyes found a group of horses, standing together. She mixed herself among them, eager to know if she was at the right place. She saw Sohalia and knew she must be. Another mare that did not go unnoticed to her gaze was Ampere. "Good evening Sohalia. Good evening Ampere," she smiled and nodded rather kindly to greet them both. "Hello," she now said to the unknown, icy looking mare who seemed to be trailed by snow. Interesting. Although she seemed a bit out of place in the settling heat of the desert, Maren smiled to her as well. "I am Maren, the Diviner of the Dragon's Throat."

Then, she put her right back hoof to rest to listen to the mare she had come to hear speak. She thought it rather intriguing; the making available and spreading of wisdom, not only in their herd land, but the others as well. Some would call it far-fetched or impractical, and those thoughts did cross her mind, too, but when she truly thought about it;  when she once again found herself clashing with the un-knowledge of the inhabitants of the world around her — their ignorance — she realized that perhaps it didn't have to be so unrealistic after all. Perhaps there were ways — Perhaps Sohalia could make that happen. Why not give her my blessing? She had found the Transcended nice and caring, and if Maren herself couldn't find enough reasons (enough courage) to be like that, then at least she could try to support her in another way.  

When she had listened to Ampere and Else she nodded positively, then scraped her throat to add some reality to their fantasy. "The Temple should of course remain a place of worship mainly, but days and times can be arranged for the Academy to have their way. I do believe rules should be made to prevent the temple becoming a playground. It should be used for sharing knowledge, and knowledge alone." She had to remember to unclench her jaw — and she hadn't even yet said a word about practicing destructive magic inside, perhaps because her skin had already began to ominously itch by the idea alone. However, she wanted to desperately avoid sounding un-supportive, especially after Sohalia had helped her the other day with building. Next to that, she really did think the concept was a good one, but she was also awfully aware that it could go terribly wrong as well. She swallowed thickly while the burgundy shades of her eyes grew darker, for unexplained reasons frowning dangerously as she had fallen back in thought. Meanwhile, in Maren's imagination there were already ten Shida 's lining up inside the main hall to smoke their pot or practice their magic.

To the snow mare's introduction of her crafting ability, Maren replied; "The more help we can get the better, any volunteers will be remembered dearly."  

wow that last bit is weird sorry >> had to fit it in
Image Credits
Please tag me 

Isopia the Mountain That Knows Posts: 780
Dragon's Throat Apostle atk: 6.5 | def: 10 | dam: 8.0
Mare :: Tribrid :: 18hh :: 3 - is now aging slowly HP: 90 | Buff: NUMB
Hubris :: Royal Bronze Dragon :: Shock Breath & Frost Breath & Babel :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Odd

ISOPIA
In reality's shadow the blind see best.

Isopia, who rarely could summon the need to show up for her own herd meetings, flew towards the Dragon's Throat eagerly. The big mare felt pin-pricks of excitement flourishing and bursting inside of her veins as she glided on the warm air thermals, and relished the feeling. Already many of the warmer air currents had departed from the Hidden Falls as orangemoon approached and rained-away the warmer weather.

Despite the energy that had carried her here much faster than she might otherwise have made the trip, it appeared she was late. Already there was a crowd gathered, and as the demi-goddess landed - towering above most who had already arrived - she gleaned that introductions and intentions were currently being offered. Folding her large wings against her sides and adjusting her cape so that it billowed out against her flank rather than catching beneath her wings, she addressed the pale mare who seemed to be leading this little gathering.

"I am called The Mountain That Knows." She introduced herself, a rare feat, even if it wasn't her actual name. She didn't feel the need to announce that she was the daughter of the Earth God, however. Many assembled she recognized from that day in the RipTide aisles when she and a number of others fought off the tiger goddess who threatened those lands. It was then that her Father had addressed her as his child, so it was quite likely that they knew who she was already. Besides, who else but she - for she was the largest mare that she had come across in Helovia - could be anyone but the offspring of the largest god ?

I do believe rules should be made to prevent the temple becoming a playground. It should be used for sharing knowledge, and knowledge alone. Isopia's gaze sought out the speaker of these words, landing upon Maren. She recognized the mare at once - from having seen her in a number of different places. The demi-goddess drew in a breath, as if seeing something rare in the wild. A dislike of rambunctious children? A desire to protect the sanctity of a sacred space? A respect for knowledge and its purpose? Had Isopia finally found a kindred spirit? Her heart beat slightly faster with hope.

Her golden eyes glistened as something like a smile began to push her lips apart. This was likely the happiest Isopia had ever looked. And why not? Wisdom and a love of it comprised half of the name she kept securely in her heart.

"I too know much of magic-" She said, looking to Elsa, then back to Sohalia, "However my true interests lay in wisdom and knowledge. I am not called the Mountain that Knows for nothing." This was not said boastfully, but factually. If there were any in Helovia who thought they knew more of philosophy and wisdom, she would gladly meet them. Until then, she would bear that title without pride. "I would gladly share and teach what I know to any minds willing to listen and learn." Her large golden eyes closed for a moment, as she thoughtfully considered what other information this mare might need. "I am happy to prove my credentials, should that be necessary."

aaanndd Isopia is in love with Maren. :O

Image Credits

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here

SOHALIA

To say that she was pleased would have been an understatement. When Sohalia had spread the word of her attempt at gathering interested parties, she had been somewhat nervous. How would her idea be received? Would anyone even want to participate in such an odd new venture? Sure, she had mentioned it to others in the past, had gotten the approval to use the Dragon's Throat as the "home base" for her plans - but she had been gone a long time, and as far as she knew, her plans for the Academy had disappeared with her.

As she looked over the group that had assembled, she noted the familiar faces, the ones she had expected to find here. To Maren (their Diviner, a crafter, and a scholar in all but name), the pale dove offered a genuine smile of welcome; so, too, did she greet Isopia, the mare that she had met outside the borders of the Throat on a day not too long ago. Ampere's arrival was both surprising and not, and despite whatever history they shared, Sohalia was pleased by the show of support. The lone stranger to appear thus far was an ice-queen named Elsa. The presence of not one, but two equines from outside the Dragon's Throat brought a great deal of joy to the Transcended. She had been afraid that her invitation to all would bring nothing, that the Throat would never be able to share what began here today.

"Welcome to all of you," she added before the meeting could begin. "I am so pleased that you've come!" She didn't want to single Elsa out - she was the only outsider present, and Sohalia didn't want her to feel uncomfortable - but she nodded her head respectfully to the stranger all the same. And with that, their meeting began.

Ampere was the first to speak, and the dove listened carefully to her suggestion. To combine the church with the Academy had its pros and cons. On the one hoof, it would make the space useful all the time rather than just for religious purposes. On the other, it could open the sacred building to desecration. Her sentiments were voiced by Maren.

When the voices among the group quieted, Sohalia shared her thoughts on the matter. Her voice was soft and melodious, thoughtful as she considered all that had been said. "The church is a sacred building, and that should remain its primary function. However, perhaps there would be a way to modify the plans for its construction - the addition of a multipurpose room off the main sanctuary? A short hallway to distance the room from the holy area would make it separate, but still connected. It could be used for meetings of various kinds - herd meetings, for one, but also for our Academy. I do think that only wisdom should be offered within the confines of the church, regardless of whether or not such a room is added." The mare paused, allowing them time to discuss her idea. It may be that there would be no intention to add more to the church; that decision, she would leave to Maren. Still, having a separate room may help to ease the minds of the Sun's followers.

"Now, it is my opinion - and please, this is all open for discussion, so do not hesitate to critique - that there are three main areas of focus for any of our pupils. First: wisdom. History, religion, culture - it's something that I feel is particularly lacking in Helovia. Many of us have a limited understanding, at best, of our land and our gods, and I think it would be beneficial to all if we could remedy that. Second: magic. It is all around us, all the time, and many of us have been blessed with tremendous abilities. I wonder if a dedicated training ground might help us uncover new abilities - or, rather, new ways to use our existing ones. Additionally, the collaboration of those with different magics - for example, crafters - could yield interesting results. Third: combat. It is, unfortunately, a fact of life here that we should be able to defend ourselves. There have been a multitude of threats against Helovia in my years here. Imagine if we were all united against them, rather than fighting amongst each other? It has been peaceful recently, but I fear that unrest may again find us one day." Again, she paused, allowing discussion.

There was so much more to say, so much more to reveal. She wanted to designate leaders, to send them all away to spread the word, to hunt down teachers, to invite pupils. The mare was almost giddy with excitement. But she could not rush it, not when she had invited these core individuals to have their say. No - their Academy would be the better for their planning now, and she would be patient until this meeting was done.

"talk talk talk"

OOC | Reminder: no post order! ;) And anyone else can join at any time.

@Ampere @Else @Maren @Isopia
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

A M P E R E

Ampere's turned to set her gaze upon the strange mare that came, her pelt pale and reminiscent of ice, with it's blue hues and well... because ti was snowing, in the fucking desert, but just around the stranger. Ampere didn't recall if she'd ever met her before, perhaps in passing at a god battle, where all the names and faces of everyone fighting blurred together, but the name Icebound came to mind all the same, her reputation proceeding her. She seemed sensible and full of good intentions.

Ampere's attention shifted then to the familiar tiger mare as she approached. Ampere nodded her head and murmured a greeting to the Diviner, and wasn't the least bit surprised when the pious mare bristled a bit at her suggestion of sharing the temple. She couldn't blame Maren really, she'd been working hard on that building for seasons now and it was first and foremost a holy place. Perhaps Ampere's more lenient sense of faith granted her ignorance, for she couldn't imagine how often the church would be in use, so her suggestion only made sense to her. The other mares were quick to reassure that the temple would stay holy and cherished, but Ampere was doubtful they would be able to share the space without conflicts, not if there was already concerns.

Isopia's presence was not surprising to Ampere, and she flashed the raven girl a friendly smile. At least, Ampere considered them friends, but Isopia didn't so much as glance at her. Ampere's smile faltered, confused, but she turned her ear to hear what the Mountain had to say all the same. Busy, Kygo offered as an explanation, thinking perhaps Isopia was too involved on the topic at hand to be bothered with friendship today. She was a stoic mare any day of the season, but still, doubt nestled in Ampere's chest. Perhaps she ought to make time later to talk to her. With her family still upset at her departure, Ampere needed her friends, or whatever relative term she could call them by, as much as possible.

Doing her best not to wallow back into her self-pity, Ampere tried to focus back on Sohalia as the dove spoke. Admittedly, Ampere was astonished that Sohalia counted fighting among her three top tiers of learning. Had the Transcended become a warrior without her knowing, or did the mare just see the value in it, when so many other scholars did not? If so, then what of the other ranks that all herds, not matter their customs, seemed to value? "I built an arena for the herd a while back," Ampere interjected. "It's a perfect training ground for fighting, and with some modifications, could work for magic testing as well."

"However, shouldn't the learning of fighting be left to the warriors of the herd? Just as crafting, healing, and stealthing are handled by each rank? I think the value of this academy is in what isn't usually taught, such as the land's history and magic as you said." A pause, "and it's companions." Of course Ampere was never against teaching someone how to fight, but its inclusion was still interesting to Ampere, especially coming from Sohalia.

Coding by Tamme

Hubris :: Royal Bronze Dragon :: Shock Breath & Frost Breath & Babel :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Odd

ISOPIA

The demi-goddess listened as the pale mare spoke. While she didn't entirely disagree with her initial list of wisdom. History, religion, culture, it did confirm the suspicion that had already bloomed inside of Isopia's mind: she was the best one to cover this subject. What was culture, if not an extension of history? What was religion, if not an understanding of the natural sciences? And yet the mare had left out ethics, decision theory, logic. What good was an understanding of history and culture, with no foundation upon which to make decisions? What use was it to know of religion, without also understanding ethical dilemmas? The demi-goddess bowed her head, the tips of at least two of her horns pointing towards the Transcended's breast.

"Wisdom is not merely an understanding of the world. It isn't just knowledge. It's the ability to make decisions, to judge, determine, and predict. " What was the old saying? Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, but wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad? She exhaled.
"At this, I am well versed."

The girl's eyes turned to Thunderhead now, and she was mildly surprised to hear her trying to restrict the influence of the warriors in the academy. Hadn't their very first encounter been during a fight? A fight to save the lives of certain companions and their bondeds? Iso's golden stare narrowed slightly - though not unkindly - upon the blue as she spoke.

"Knowledge is knowledge." She said simply, with a shrug of her massive shoulders. "That the academy might highlight areas which are usually left wanting in the herds is pragmatic. However it ought to cover all areas of knowledge, which includes categories of how to, of which fighting is certainly one. Your son for instance, might never choose to become a warrior, but what if he wanted to learn about them? Of their tactics and strategies? Their training? Surely your gladiator would be too busy to include a non-warrior in their lessons, and so he would not be afforded the chance to increase his knowledge. And so it is to the Academy that such a boy would go." She paused, realizing only now that Thunderhead might take her example as an offence. Isopia had picked her childhood friend as the character in this example because he was inquisitive, and not because of his stature and missing wing. She could easily see the warrior's of the Throat being annoyed with his constant questions, no matter whose child he was.

Isopia exhaled with a final shrug of her shoulders. Could they not be both pragmatic and idealistic in their offerings here?

Image Credits

Maren the Crownless Posts: 264
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.0 :: 6 HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Mr. Teatime :: Siberian Tiger :: Sing Yewrezz

BY THE PRECEPTS OF HER PURITY

"I am called The Mountain That Knows."

Maren looked as the giantess spoke up. Unlike the snowy mare, she had seen the girl several times before. You are the daughter of the Earth, and, if her mind was still as organized as always, she remembered her holy Father calling her by another name, a long time ago, when the False Gods had sickened their lands. Still, Maren didn't care enough for it to dig it up. If this Mountain truly knew... Maren would call her whatever she wanted. Then again, if Ampere was the Mother of Companions, what was there to go on? ... Perhaps it is better to not take these things too seriously. But what could she do, she was a serious mare.

"I am happy to prove my credentials, should that be necessary."

The giantess must have thought of something, or she would not have offered it so willingly. "How would you prove your knowledge? How would you prove your wisdom?" She asked, intrigued. Was she going to tell them a story? Reveal the existence of ancient magic? Was there a secret passageway in the Heart caves that they didn't know about... Or was she going to sing them a sacred, long forgotten rhyme? Because she truly did not know, and for that reason alone a smile fell on her lips. Enlighten me, Mountain.

Once again she listened to Sohalia and her lush assemblage of ideas and ways to make them into a reality. She didn't really see why they couldn't just teach in the main hall of the Temple, however, if Sohalia wanted it... "It would take some extra time to create more space, but if you are truly confident in the value it would add it can be arranged. I will talk to Cera about the possibilities. Until then you can make use of the main hall as it is." Of course she would be keeping an eye on them still; lurk in the shadows with, stealthily, between the steal and the stones, in case it were to happen that any of these so called students would give her enough reason to kick them out.

She continued listening, her ivory wings shifting and shuffling next to her cheeks as if in sync with her brain, thoughts. History... Religion... Magic, they seemed about right. However, she had doubts in the methods. She had the feeling that Sohalia's view on the teaching of wisdom was an easy one. Religion — culture, history, that was it. An easy route; easily accessible - available for everyone. But, like rain on a summer day, it sounded too perfect and she was afraid she should know better than that. In the end, words were just words, no matter how fancy, no matter who said them; A common citizen, or the Mountain that Knows...  She agreed with Ampere about the use of the arena for magical practice. Although she hadn't helped with its build, she had watched its walls leaning sadly on desolation, waiting for it to be used.

However, when Isopia spoke again, Marens earlier doubts surfaced again. She felt hesitant to say it, not wanting to break the mare's ideals like a mirror in a hailstorm. Perhaps I won't— and she hoped so, as she added into Isopia's range of words. "Wisdom cannot just be taught. It needs to be experienced."

She did not care much about the warrior-reference, wasn't even aware that Ampere's son was Zero, so she simply scratched her itching nose with one of her feathered fingers and let that argument slip by as well.

She swallowed, cleared her throat. "It is unrealistic to think all areas of knowledge can be covered between four walls," she frowned. "Or even within the whole of the Dragon's Throat. What I am saying is that we should limit this idea to the most important aspects if it should be to remain maintainable. I do not see how the Academy can make themselves available to teach every single thing someone might want to do in their life, and still not exhaust their resources by spreading them too thinly among all these ideas — and then be successful." Mimicking the giantess' gesture, she shrugged too.

Image Credits
Please tag me 

SOHALIA

The dove waited as the voices continued, swirling here and there around her. A soft smile lingered upon her lips, for this was precisely what she had wanted in creating the Academy: a gathering of very different equines engaging in discussion that never became inflamed or derogatory. Their voices all remained level, ideas were exchanged, and surely, were there disagreements, compromises would be made. Who would have thought that Ampere would attend such a meeting, much less carry herself with such grace and dignity? That is not to say that Sohalia thought poorly of the mare - quite the opposite, in fact - but she would have thought that the blue's explosive nature would get the better of her even here. The behaviors of Maren and Isopia (or at least that which the Transcended had seen) would have, in theory, been a much better fit for the blossoming organization.

And yet, here they all were. Her chest swelled with pride.

"Let us not make any rash decisions," she told Maren with a respectful nod. "There may be no need for an additional space. I just wanted to mention the idea, in case you or others would prefer the sacred space to be protected." In truth, such protection may not be needed, even against outsiders. Any who attended the Academy would be well-chaperoned; even a mare as trusting as she was not content to allow just anyone to wander through her herdlands. Besides, the church was Maren's project, and had been planned since even before Sohalia had returned. It was not her place to suggest any changes. If they needed a different space later, they could always construct a schoolhouse.

Of fighting, the pale mare waited for Isopia to finish, then added, "Or consider the fighter who has no mind for tactics; consider a tactician who hasn't the strength to fight. True, the fighting itself might be better taught by the warriors of the herd, and certainly the teachers at the Academy must be experienced in this regard, but I do think that there is a great deal of theoretical and even practical information that could be presented in just the environment that we would build. Besides," she added then, "there is so much more that the Academy can offer than just basic learning. Imagine the ability to exchange ideas, to build off of one another just as we are doing here! To discuss one's talents and skills and discover new ways to combine them..." She trailed off, allowing the others to make up their own minds about her thoughts.

Returning her roaming gaze to Maren, she nodded. "As you say, Maren. We cannot possibly teach every little thing, but we can certainly choose several main topics and branch from there. There is nowhere in Helovia that I know of to teach 'wisdom' - in any of its aspects - or even magic, which, in my experience, has been learned through a great deal of instinct, trial, and error. Fighting, as discussed, can be taught, but perhaps the more theoretical knowledge in particular would be worth offering to our students. The gathering and sharing of information, the combination of great minds to address new ideas - it would be unlike anything our land has ever seen."

"talk talk talk"

OOC | Reminder: no post order! ;) And anyone else can join at any time.

@Ampere, @Elsa, @Maren, @Isopia

A M P E R E

Ampere's gaze narrowed in return as she cast it upon Isopia, her prior concerns about the status of their friendship quickly forgotten as she was reminded just how irksome Isopia could be. "My son is always welcome to train with the warriors," Ampere snapped, taking Isopia's reference of him as a slight. The fact Isopia had already criticized her parenting methods of the boy, especially in relation to fighting, hit too close to home now for her to coolly ignore the comment. "I'm not sure how your herd governs itself but our ranks always welcome participation of interested herd members." Her blue gaze burned intently before she jerked it away, attempting not to get into a fight with Isopia, least of a non-physical one (an area Isopia excelled in).

Attempting to reign in her rising temper, Ampere focused on what Maren and Sohalia had to say instead. Her head nodded faintly at Maren's statement that they couldn't teach everything, at least not successfully. This was Ampere's point. Warriors already trained fighters; why not spend their resources on something never successfully taught? Besides, what would a scholar know about tact if they had never put it to use on a battlefield? The only possible use for a non-fighting teacher would be a retired one, too old or too broken to go on, but the knowledge all there still. Unfortunately most warriors didn't make it to retirement.

"I agree with the Mountain that Knows- ethics is vital to the academy. If you want to teach fighting, and thievery too with it, then we should be sure to implement good morals for employing such talents. Too many in Helovia are capable of fighting and stealing but do so for careless and selfish reasons that are a detriment to our realm." Ampere spoke evenly, her tail flicking idly at her hocks, though she still didn't bring her eyes back to Raven.

"For that reason i think companions must be included in our first series of classes. Bonding is a permanent change that affects two lives, and yet there is zero instruction or knowledge on this process and the caring of the creatures bound to our souls." She did her best not to let aggravation enter her tone, though she wasn't entirely sure she succeeded. She found ti careless of the gods to allow something so powerful with so little instruction. The same could be said of magic, but at least someone else's soul wasn't on the line. "I'd be happy to lead that lesson," she concluded.

Coding by Tamme

SOHALIA

The Transcended watched with interest and listened with an obviously eager gaze. Their conversation was sparking many and more ideas within her churning mind, and she found herself growing more and more excited to get started. Still, before they could host anything upon the sands of the Dragon’s Throat, she would need to discuss the Academy with the leaders of the herd – a difficult task, considering her current relationship – or lack thereof – with the WildFire.*

”Ethics, then, should be an area of focus – perhaps it is from this perspective that we would approach any training in the area of fighting, hmm? Discussions of when it is appropriate, the morality of it, and the life?” She smiled at Ampere and the Mountain, pleased that despite their terse exchange, the two still seemed to be on the same side.

Ampere’s next commentary on companions made the pale lady raise a brow. This was clearly a subject on which the blue had strong feelings, and yet Sohalia had never noticed any particularly special treatment of the mare’s conure. Still, she could not argue with the logic behind Ampere’s suggestion, and so she merely nodded. Formal lesson plans could be put into effect after she got the support she needed from the herd leaders.

”Well, I think we’ve got some wonderful plans. It is important for me to present these ideas to our herd leaders, as I am proposing to hold the Academy here, in our herdland. I hope to meet with you all again soon to prepare to move forward. In the meantime, please start thinking about lesson plans or other suggestions. Thank you all so much for joining me!” The mare grinned at them all, waiting for them to depart before turning her own path towards the oasis.

"talk talk talk"

OOC | @Ampere @Maren @Isopia - I'll start up a Skype chat for more detailed planning but basically Soh's considering this her "core group." Thanks for participating!!

*I think that Gaucho was still Sultan at this point so forgive me if I’ve messed up my timeline. xD

ISOPIA

[merrrr I think this is the end of the thread so.. Iso will just derp away quietly :P]

Although there was much that The Mountain would have preferred to have the opportunity to respond to, conversations were often like the tides. Sometimes they were predictable, in a way that one could insert themselves in when it was convenient, or when it was their turn, and other times voices seemed to drown out order, and words became a constant and uninterrupted stream. Though retorts and replies hung weightily upon Isopia's tongue, Sohalia's words seemed to imply that their little gathering was coming to a close.

Though Isopia typically did not like to leave things unsaid, for all of her flaws, having to have the last word was not amongst them. So she let the matter lie. She would remember, as best she could, the things that she wished to say to the group. If they proved to be pertinent and important during their next gathering, she would mention them then. If not, then perhaps they were indeed best left unspoken.

"Unlike you, I hail from the Hidden Falls." Isopia offered, looking more towards Sohalia than any of the others. She didn't know that for a time Sohalia had dwelled in the Falls, as she continued. "Our borders are thick with foliage and trees. I wouldn't try to enter from the ground unless you are sure the path you are on is a main one. But should you fly overhead, you should be able to find our meeting grounds easily enough. Although.." Now her gazed moved to Ampere, unsure if the blades that the two mares had were common knowledge or not. "Although there are other ways of calling to me, I suppose." She concluded cryptically, her eyes upon the blue as if trying to impart this secret meeting.

Retreating a step and allowing her large wings to unfurl, Isopia looked at the mares before her. She nodded to each (thanks to Hubris' insistence in her mind), before turning and cantering a few strides until she had enough momentum to lift into the air.

Image Credits