the Rift

[OPEN] While the dream disappears, the life continues painfully.

Megaera the Sunspear Posts: 306
Absent Abyss atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 h :: 8 [Birdsong] HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Gwaihir :: Golden Eagle :: None Laine

She had chased the sun each day, ever westward until the miles were leagues and then even those disappeared beyond counting or significance. Though it was a marvel how far she had come to find her way home again, no sunset in long weeks had held any sense of progress for she still had not been where she wanted to be...where she needed to be. Even this evening, when her hooves found the dry and barren earth of the Dragon's Throat, the sun she had followed still seemed to sink away from her as it set, too distant, still unreachable, like she hadn't found the home she'd left, a home she could never quite reach again. Copper sands still covered the island, but without the pieces of her fractured family upon them they could never shine as bright of feel as warm.

For a shining cycle of the seasons she had felt untouchable; surrounded by her husband and their children, in the Sun's good graces, and wholly content with her world and her realm. Starting with Asavvi it had all come crashing down around the Sunspear's arrogant ears. Her dreamy little daughter had gone missing and almost before the battlemare could blink she had sent off Einarr and Gwaihir in search even as her body had been crippled by the throws of labor. Vastra and Castor had come into the world to be surrounded by Megaera's grief and fear. She had cared for them as best she could during their most vulnerable time but she had been driven half mad with worry and indescribably lessened by her companion's absence. Living without Gwaihir had been nearly impossible. With the eagle's soul and hers tied so tightly, the physical distance that had separated them while her searched the lands beyond Helovia and she remained had felt like a gaping wound. Without half her heart, half her mind, half her soul, she had felt weak and panicky and hollow; a body that could merely exist. As soon as she was able, Meg had gone to fetch him back again. 

To think on that time now was sickening and shameful. In her grief, her drive to get back her daughter and her mate an her companion, she had let down so many others.

Vastra.

Castor.

Nizho.

Mordecai.

Dragon's Throat. 

She had left the care and safety of her four remaining children and her entire herd up to chance. It wasn't her fault (as Gwaihir reminded her now that they had found each other again) that twins had come in the wake of disaster, but Meg agonized over her lack of attentiveness; disaster or no, they had deserved so much better from her. 

With that heavy weight upon her soul the Sunspear landed on the dune's crest, casting a long shadow that carved out the setting sun's long golden rays. strained from long flights her wide wings stretched out to either side, not quite wanting to fold properly after working so hard for so long. The eagle joined her, finding a perch on the layers of leather across her back. "Home again, my Meg." soothed the eagle's voice in her mind, but the mare's features didn't fall into the relieved smile he might have hoped for. Solemn eyes gazed out where once bright fires had burned and she glanced at the bird on her back but made no reply. The desert might have been the same but so much about what made it home had been altered, just as she had been altered. It was evidenced in her body and her countenance, with less of her previous kinetic spark and more rigidity, muscles that were as strong as ever but she was leaner, somehow harder. It was like iron, a shell she had built even within her leather armor--within her very skin-- and it held in the emotions that had left her scattered so that she could face what was left of her life.

megaera
this also has been one of the dark places of the earth

Wooooo back at it again with the white vaaaans!!
Note: Me'g wearing her armor, but without neck pieces or faceplate
FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure
:: permission given for use of magic and force :: please tag Megaera in all posts ::

Sohalia the Transcended Posts: 477
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: 10 (ages in Orangemoon) HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Astraeus :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya ChaoticMelodies

Their numbers were dwindling dangerously, and it terrified her.

Despite her few absences, Sohalia the Transcended had been a member of the Dragon's Throat for many years. She had seen its leadership change and had watched its ranks grow and shrink, but never had she felt such panic at the prospect of their future. All of the faces that she had been familiar with - Gaucho, Africa, Midas, Einarr, Megaera, and so the list went on - they were gone. Gods, she had been gone until this past Birdsong. What had happened to their home? What had happened to their herd? They were nothing but a shell of the herd that she had known and loved.

It was that panic (and the guilt, and the pain, and the sadness) that kept her moving, forcing her mind to busy itself with the mundane day-to-day tasks that she had charged herself with. If she stopped to breathe, stopped to think... well, she might never start moving again.

So she moved. She ran along the beach in the morning, pushing herself until her muscles shook and her lungs screamed for mercy. She walked to and from the heaps of metal scraps that Cera and others had collected, carrying what she could to the church. And she flew, as she was doing now, over the dunes, purposefully avoiding the place where Gaucho's body had lain. The more she moved, the less she thought; the more she avoided, the less she had to acknowledge how broken she really felt.

A sudden glint in the sunlight caught her attention, and though she welcomed the distraction, she couldn't help the pang of fear that shocked through her. What if it was danger? She would be useless in a fight, and she didn't even know who to call for help anymore. Did Sikeax know how to fight? All she knew of their newly-named Sultana was that she had been a healer before, and though the mare was capable in that regard, Sohalia had her doubts about Sikeax's ability in combat. In her mind, there were warrior maidens, like Ampere and Megaera, and then there were the others, like she and Africa, more diplomat than military. She wasn't yet sure where Sikeax fell on that spectrum.

In any case, Astraeus interrupted her momentary panic from his position above her and to her right. Sparks flickered before her eyes as the wakiya caught her attention. - Isn't a threat, - he insisted. - Look. - And so she did. What she found, oddly enough, was an armor-clad Megaera landing upon the crest of a sand dune. Conflicted, Sohalia wavered in the air. Should she turn and go? Megaera hadn't been her biggest fan last time they had met - after all, in the Sunspear's eyes, Sohalia had deserted her family. Still, there didn't seem to be anyone else around, and having been on the receiving end of disapproval, the Transcended decided that Megaera deserved to be welcomed home.

Within seconds, the ivory dove had touched down nearby, though not near enough to startle Megaera or make her feel threatened. "Megaera!" she called, forcing a weary smile to her face. Even her good intentions could not chase the shadows from her eyes. Where have you been? she might have asked, but wouldn't that just be the pot calling the kettle black? "How are you?" she settled for instead, but it sounded hollow even to her own ears. What was there to be cheerful about anymore?

"Talk talk talk."
Astraeus.
you give up your soul till you break down;
subtlepatterns.com | foxyfirewings & larfsalot @ deviantart.com

@Megaera - hope you don't mind me jumping in! :D
Please tag Sohalia in all replies.
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Want to place an order?  Visit Crystalline Creations here!
Want to plot with Sohalia?  Visit her plot page here!

Tae Posts: 133
Dragon's Throat Alchemist atk: 7.0 | def: 10 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2 :: 2 HP: 72.5 |
Mal :: Timber Wolf :: Terrorize & Hel :: Royal Hellhound :: Hellfire Odd

[uhm. tae is just stalking to see if Nizho comes around >.> ]

Had Tae ever spoken to Megaera before? The Sun Spear? The ghostly girl couldn't remember. Certainly they had been around each other, at herd meetings and whatnot, but an actual conversation? No, the girl doubted it.

All that Tae knew, was that her Father was dead and that the Sun Spear had been removed from her position by the Sun God. And to both of those male figures the girl had unwavering loyalty. Meg had certainly fallen a few pegs down the respect ladder, in Tae's eyes.

And yet... she was Nizho's mother. In other circumstances Tae might have charged down the sand dune on which she currently stood and berated the mare with accusations. Today however, Tae merely watched, allowing a cool breeze from the sea to tangle through her mane. It wasn't so much because of Meg that the girl was still here, but because of who else the former Sultana's presence might draw. Would Nizho come? They hadn't really had a chance to speak when Tae saw him last - it was only moments after her Father had risen to the Great Plains in the Sky, after all. And despite the weighty feeling on her heart, the ghostly girl did want to see the boy again.  She wouldn't reveal the reasoning of course, not even to herself. Never could she admit that the first inklings of a crush had bloomed brightly in her chest, but of course, they indeed had. And why not? Nizho, the son of Einarr who was the closest male approximation to Gaucho that there could be, without being family (or if they were family, it was distant enough not to matter), and he was the only one who wasn't a sibling of hers, who spoke her Father's native tongue. A language that felt even more near and dear to her heart now that the original teacher of it had departed. 

As Sohalia appeared, the girl tensed slightly. Seeing her was ... odd to be sure. The past mate and kahleesi of her father? The one who had been around even when her own mother had not, and the one who had welcomed her warmly enough? The girl was too young to know how to react to such things, and so she merely watched, her large white eyes peering down at the two mares below.

tae
i'm a cold day in august, i'm a stream too shallow
i'm a heart shaped box with no letter inside
Image Credits

Einarr Posts: 113
Absent Abyss atk: 5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 hh :: 8 years HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Time
Heaving chest of the sea
Carry both of us
Carry her, carry me

They had been gone from the Throat for far too long with no success in their mission. It pained Einarr's heart as well as his body. He was rock-solid and strong, muscles tight beneath rippling black hair, but it was not the kind of strength he had adorned before. These muscles were only from flying many miles and walking many miles on cloven toes. It was not a body sculpted from sparring and training and war as it once had been. This body was made only from desperate searching, distraught flight, and galloping into the wilds screaming out for his child. Sorrow was laiden behind hard, amber eyes as his wings tipped and he circled down to the dune his wife stood upon.

Their searching had been apart for a while, though Einarr had found the woman coming back to the desert. He had decided to follow her, wondering if she had followed Asaavi here back to their home. As the Sunspear flew ahead of him, however, he figured out that was not the case. Simply, and with bile rising in his throat, he realized that the pair had given up and were coming home with their tails tucked. Sighing as he landed beside her, Einarr lifted his head and looked over at the bay carefully. His eyes showed what his words would fall short of.

I am sorry.

We tried.

She'll come home.

Turning his attention away from the bay for a moment, Einarr looked upon the grey. "What happen while Einarr and Megaera gone?"

He did not know the weight of his question.

EINARR

aud is a boss

if you bury me, i'll bury you
pixel by sourful

Vastra Posts: 58
Dragon's Throat Filly
Filly :: Pegasus :: 16.3 wfg :: 1 year
Sarah

For a while now, the filly had grown used to being on her own. Her older brother, Nizho, was around sometimes but, for the most part, she was alone. She felt hollow without Castor there by her side, without her mother to nestle against at night, but the pain had faded to a dull throb and she had grown used to it. There were plenty of distractions, after all, from her quest to find her family again and she had been learning intently about the different animals that shared the Throat with them. Without a teacher, many of the names she made up for the animals were nonsense but she was learning.

She had even befriended some of the skittish hippocampi off the coast.

After playing with them in the surf for a while, Vastra left them behind and carefully shook her damp wings - careful not to lose any of the black feathers that stuck haphazardly out of them. After discovering she had accidentally took more than just one of Gaucho’s feathers, she hadn’t had the heart to scatter the extras to the wind and instead kept them, thinking that might be a better way to honour him. With these extra feathers and the sand sticking to her wet legs as it was kicked up, Vastra was blissfully unaware just how messy she looked.

Her mind was elsewhere, drifting off and thinking of what other animal friends she could go find, when a figure landing on a dune just a little off in the distance made her focus slam back into the present.

Mother.

Instead of approaching, the red filly rooted herself in the sand and stared - unbelieving that after all this time, her mother was here. After Vastra had been searching across Helovia for some glimpse of her family this Tallsun and ending up with nothing (well, a few lessons and friends but nothing by way of family). She didn’t even know what to say to her - but she knew that a confusing mess of emotions were keeping her standing where she was instead of rushing forward.

And who were these others standing nearby? She didn’t recognize any of them and it made the downy feathers on her wings bristle in annoyance. The first time she had seen her mother in forever and she was busy talking to these strangers.

the embers of a fire still burning as they die
stay bright to keep us side by side

Megaera's gut twisted, thinking of Vastra and Castor just barely weaned and she had left them... left them, to try and find their sister. Was is as simple as that? Choosing one child over two? The eagle screeched at the bay mare and her thoughts bled into his mind "They were safe at home and Asavvi was alone, we both feared for her." he tried to console but it did nothing to assuage the heavy weight of guilt. The mare's ear's pinned themselves back as she shot a miserable glare at the eagle. She felt considerably less empty now that he was with her again, but Gwaihir's continued attempts at making her feel better were only making her feel worse. "I didn't know they were safe, it was a risk I should not have taken!" Especially since she had taken it for nothing. Her little stargazer was still gone. 

The eagle ruffled at this, unsure what else he could do or say when his words were only met with self-doubt and degradation on her part; this wasn't the self-assured Meg he remembered. "I'll check the oasis then." he said simply, knowing she would check the coast first--Castor loved the water so much. With a sweep of earthen wings, Gwaihir lifted himself to the sky again and soared southward towards the lake. 

And to the coast she aimed herself, or would have if a voice saying her name and a grey figure in her periphery had not pulled her head around. Sohalia- the mare Meg knew quite little of and had judged harshly. That she owed the pale mare an apology was the least of it. What sin, thought Megaera, had the Transcended committed that she was not now just as guilty of? When last they had spoken Meg had given no sympathy, no understanding, only attacked with passive aggressive drivel and petulant pride when Gaucho had reprimanded her for it.  It was another thing that she would have to set right, but not before she was sure her little ones were well. How was she? The question forced a stricken look to the bay's face but there was a hollow cast to the tone that so mirrored her own feelings that instead of snapping at Sohalia, Meg was led only to honesty. "My daughter is missing." Was it the words of the climate that mad her mouth feel so dry? "Gone without a trace and I couldn't find her, and I--" she choked on the next words, 'neglected my babies' was too appalling a phrase to be spoken aloud. 

Even as Meg wrestled with words, she was cut off by the cast of a familiar shadow. Einarr! There was such a tearing on emotion in her at the sight of him that she was struck silent. Relief that he himself was alive and well, despair when Asavvi was not at his side. She met his gaze with grim understanding. "Shekh anni..." My sun.... but all their little stars were scattered.

She heard his question to Sohalia, but as her gaze shifted towards the mare again they set upon a smudge on the sand, the disheveled form of her little red beauty. "Vastra." the faintest whisper, a thankful prayer, passed her lips and with no reguard for anything but her youngest child, Megaera moved between the figured of Einarr and Sohalia and to where the filly stood. She did'nt move faster than a brisk walk, but the girls pull of her was undeniable, magnetic and only now were there tears forming in the mare's dark eyes. She reached to pull her daughter into the circle of her wings, the safety of her embrace, murmuring gently "Vasa, my Vasa. Dear One, I am so sorry. So sorry..." 

megaera

FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure
:: permission given for use of magic and force :: please tag Megaera in all posts ::

Castor Posts: 17
Absent Abyss
Colt :: Pegasus :: 17 h (wfg) :: Three Seasons
Laine

You know I love my Vasa, she's my best bud, partner in the most nefarious of crimes, and the most smartest, talented, beautiful thing on the planet. But stick the Sun God in a bucket of ice if that little monster isn't hard to keep track of! Now I know most people would say that it was in fact I who wandered and got my "sorry ass" "stuck" in a "bush" for a few houres but like, what good is the "truth" to my street cred? So regardless of whose fault it was, it seemed that my dearly beloved ginger twin and I had been circling around eachother forever but HOT DAMN was I on her trail now!

And there, she was, the rascall, and--HOLY HECKTARDS IT'S MOM!! And like some other boring grownups who really cares but MOMMAAAA!!!! I break onto a gallop, which is pretty damn ungainly majestic and haul-ass to catch up with Vastra. Mom's already going in for the hug when reach them. I try to stop, honest I do, in order to save my rep, like, who's this excited to see there mom, like so uncool... Omg don't tell anyone I was crying and shaking a little...I was super chill and relaxed about his whole situation. I skid past sis and kinda slam into mom's side a bit. The impact sends the strange and most definitely evil dust of foreign lands a-flyin and my traitorous nose interrupts me as I try to get my cuddle on by sneezing several times.

"."

Castor

LOL WUT IS DECORUM?! Please enjoys this dumb post in which Castor learns about air quotes and is oblivious to #emotions
@Sohalia @Tae @Einarr @Vastra

Whatever the Transcended might have expected from the Sunspear, to hear that her daughter was missing was decidedly not it.  A frown immediately formed on her face, sympathy in her eyes.  She understood Megaera's pain all too well, and it was not something she would wish even upon her worst enemy.  Even now, several of her children had taken their leave of the Throat, leaving Sohalia longing to see their familiar forms on the horizon.  One day, perhaps, they would come home... but until then, she would dedicate herself to the herd that she had left behind one too many times.  If her children wanted to find her, they would surely return here, if only to look for Gaucho as a starting place.  A painful twinge twisted in her chest as she realized that one day, she would have to tell her children that their father was now no more than ash upon the sands.

The mare swallowed her pain, reaching her muzzle out to the Sunspear.  "I am so very sorry," she whispered.  "If I can do anything..."  She knew how hollow the offer would sound in her own ears were she in Megaera's place, so she allowed her voice to trail off.  There was nothing in the world that would make this better - and at this point, coming home might just make it worse.  After all, the Throat was now all but leaderless, and Megaera hadn't been here during one of their most difficult times.  Sohalia knew her own guilt about leaving had been overwhelming, and she suspected that the warrior matron would feel the same.

It was at that moment that a great many things began to happen at once.  Einarr, a stallion who the ivory dove had only briefly met (or had they?), appeared by Megaera's side, and Sohalia was forced to look away at their affectionate greeting.  It was so like the one she might have shared with Gaucho once upon a time, right down to the language they used to greet each other.  Her heart, already broken into a thousand pieces, seemed to shatter a little more at the realization that she would never again hear his rough voice speaking his guttural language.  She would never again be his moon, as he would never again be her sun.

Except he would always be her sun.  Ayyey.

And then children were appearing, and it didn't take much of a leap to figure out that these were Megaera's and Einarr's.  The Transcended thought about leaving, slipping away with a quiet farewell to allow the small family their privacy - but Einarr asked her what had happened in their absence, and suddenly she felt rooted to the spot.  Why did it have to be her to tell them the news?  Why, when she could hardly face a day that went by without breaking into tears?  Why was it on her shoulders to ruin their reunion?  But she couldn't not tell them either.  Somehow, it seemed almost fitting that she - the WildFire's mate - would be the one to speak of his untimely end.

With a deep breath, she willed her watering eyes to clear, swallowing the lump in her throat that threatened to choke her.  "Much has happened," she admitted, a certain edge in her voice that betrayed how difficult it was for her to keep her emotions in check.  "I... there is no easy way... Gaucho... he's..."  Oh, how she wished she didn't have to say it!  "He's dead."  When her words came, they were a whisper, a choked, tight sound of pain and guilt and anguish.  She sucked in a shaky breath, forcing her lips into a tight line.  She would not break.  He wouldn't have wanted to hurt her, especially not like this.

Oh, how she wished she could take it all back.  Everything that she'd said, everything that she'd thrown in his face that night.  He had only ever wanted her, to please her.  It was her own damn fault that he hadn't had the chance - that they hadn't really had the chance - to be happy.

The rest of her news tumbled out in a rush.  "The Sun God came and named Sikeax Sultana.  He said that he was 'breaking the chain' of warrior leaders - I'm not sure he said why, or if he has hinted at what is to come next, if anything.  There has not yet been a second lead chosen.  It was all... very recent.  The Throat mourns, so it has been quiet."  She dared a glance toward the couple, afraid to see their expressions for fear they would reflect her own barely-controlled feelings back at her.

"Talk talk talk."
Astraeus.

@Einarr
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Einarr Posts: 113
Absent Abyss atk: 5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 hh :: 8 years HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Time
Heaving chest of the sea
Carry both of us
Carry her, carry me

Einarr wanted to reach out and embrace Megaera, to pull her in close to him and wrap her in his wings. He wanted to shield her from the grief of failure, of losing their daughter. For what--or where--was she, if not dead? The black's heart sank deep to his cloven hooves. His lion tail wrapped around his back legs, ears tilting downward. He looked away from Sohalia as she stood there before him, and he watched the feisty bay he called his own. She did not stay rooted, though, as dancing figures began to appear below them.

The bloodrider raised his head above Megaera, catching the slightest glimpse of red and blonde. His heart skipped a beat. While he had not been at her birth, had not had time to rest on her and dote on her and name her, the warrior knew she was his. The gentle kiss of white on her muzzle was enough to solidify it, though with her primitive markings and carefully sloping shoulders--so strong, so agile even at this young age--Einarr knew she was produced from his loins. He swallowed a knot in his throat. Einarr knew the knot well--it appeared when Mordecai was saved from Histe, and when his twins were safe from him. Standing on a dune now, looking down at the delicate dun, the knot was swallowed down.

Megaera ran off to meet the filly, her movements wild and sudden and screaming of a mother's love. Einarr lifted a cloven hoof to follow, but stopped himself. He had asked Sohalia a question that needed answering, and it was what kept him to hear the answer. Placing his hoof back in the sand, the white-marked man turned to face the gray mare once more. He did not see his son--his son--run to embrace Megaera and Vastra. Black ears tilted forward to listen to what the woman had to say to him. His brows knit themselves together at the obvious expression of pain on her face. What the hell had happened? He took a step toward her, just as the words fell from her mouth laced with sorrow.

Everything inside of the man went cold. His muscles felt like instant stone as he stood there, staring at the Wildfire's mate Sohalia with concern. Did those words really just come from her? Had he heard her correctly? The Wildfi--Gaucho--was dead!? Einarr's chin lifted, face tightening. Blood eyes looked away from Sohalia and to the sky, anger apparent in his face as it hardened and his jaw tightened. "Vod chafaan." He whispered, voice laced with anger. Who killed him!? His shoulders shook, looking back to Sohalia.

The only words he heard in her explanation were Sun God and Sikeax. Had that tiny, puny, weak healer poison their Sultan? The khal was dead and she stood in his spot. Einarr raged, ears tight down in obsidian mane. "Sikeax kill Gaucho!?" Einarr snapped, tail lashing out and teeth gnashing together after the question.

EINARR

aud is a boss

@Vastra

if you bury me, i'll bury you
pixel by sourful

Vastra Posts: 58
Dragon's Throat Filly
Filly :: Pegasus :: 16.3 wfg :: 1 year
Sarah

What could she do but stand there, rooted to the same spot in the ground when her brown eyes met those of her mother. She was seen and the filly held her breath, waiting to see what would happen. Megaera moved away from the strangers she was with and towards Vastra, which she almost didn’t believe for a moment. Shouldn’t her mother be moving away? But no, she came over and she unfurled her wings to wrap them around the red-dun filly as though she were just a newborn.

Vastra did not pull away, but she stood like a statue in that embrace - her mind screaming and her resolve weakening as she heard that nickname Castor had given her because he couldn’t say her name properly. Vasa.

In the grand scheme of things, it had not truly been that long since she had heard someone call her by that name but to her it had been forever. Everything felt like forever while she was so young - each and every day was such a huge percentage of the life she had lived so far and the ones recently had all been empty of these familial touches and her mother’s voice.

She didn’t want her mother to cry but she couldn’t forgive her, not yet.

She was vaguely aware of shouting happening amongst the pair a little ways away but her attention did not focus on those strangers. She didn't even get any time to think about how to react to her mother's embrace because right then her treacherous twin showed up. Castor, in all of his grace and glory, came barreling past her and knocking right into their dam. Of all the days for him to actually show up! Here he finally was. This, this got the red-sand filly to snort in annoyance, backing away from the pair and out of the reach, for the moment, of Megaera. Small ears flattened against her head as her burning brown eyes were focused on her twin. She had assumed he was with their mother and for him to barrel in and pretend like he hadn't seen Megaera in forever was too much.

“WHERE WERE YOU?!” She screamed the words in a feral voice before launching herself at Castor, her teeth bared and small wings flashing out. How dare he show up here, NOW, as if she hadn’t been searching all over Helovia for months?!

the embers of a fire still burning as they die
stay bright to keep us side by side

@Castor

It was bliss to hold one of her children again, it was blessed relief to wrap her wings around her little girl and know that she was safe, at lease for that moment. Even if it was jus one child of the five, Megaera had needed that touch, had been starved for it so much so that it didn’t register that Vastra did not reach to her in the same way. The mother bent her head down to rub her fece tenderly over the little girl. Reconcile. Reclaim. Reassure. 

"Uhff!" a surprised puff of air huffed out as some projectile plowed into Meg’s side. Looking down she only saw Castor, the little scamp, trying to regain his balance. She adjusted her wing to reach out and steady him, to bring him into the fold of her love once more. “Cas, shhh. Come my brave boy, I’m home, I’m here.” The twin’s reactions to her were so markedly different; Castor unable to contain him emotions while Vastra he'd a stoic sort of rigidity. Meg couldn't get them close enough. the guilt and grief that threatened to overrun her by just the smell of them, by the feel of their little bodies whole to her. They’re safe! At least they’re safe. and she would never leave that up to chance again.

It dawned on her then that this would be the first time that Einarr would meet their youngest children. She lifted her head, turning her attention back to where her mate stood with Sohalia in order to call his attention only to catch words that left her dazed.

”He’s dead.

It was ridiculous. Gaucho could not be dead. 

Meg’s entire consciousness was instantly in an uproar, railing against the idea, clamoring with reasons that it could simply not be true. No one could have defeated Gaucho in combat, he wasn’t even that old, he was beloved of the Sun God, he was ascended. But how could Sohalia be mistaken? Why would she choose to lie?

Like a magnet Meg was drawn away from her children, deaf to the beginnings of their little tussle. Her face was severe, threatening violence or tears, whichever one it was made her eyes shine with sharp emotion even as they were riveted to Sohalia's face. She searched the mare for some tell, for some sign that what she had just uttered was not the truth. But there was no lie in the white mare. 

Hot tears brimmed and spilled, even as her face was ablaze, her heart was ponding, even as Somalia continued speaking. In some valiant act of self-preservation, Meg held the most debilitating of her grief at bay, as always reaching for action rather than despair. She heard the appoint meant of Sikeax, and nodded, “I have to seek her out.”She said, voice shaking in equal parts rage and desperate denial. As long as there were steps to be taken for the good of the herd, she could hold herself together. She knew of Sikeax, owed the healer a debt for her aid in the day of Mordecai’s birth, and if the Sun God though she and Meg would work together than she would trust in that.  “I’ll call a meeting, I must know wha—“ She cut herself off as the rest of the dove’s words caught up to her.

“What do you mean…a…second…lead?” Her voice barely formed the words, whispering them as thought he merest breath would release that sword of damocles that swung above her head.

megaera

FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure

Castor Posts: 17
Absent Abyss
Colt :: Pegasus :: 17 h (wfg) :: Three Seasons
Laine

Let’s face it, I was never going to be the kind of person able to hold a grudge. No matter how my most perfect and innocent self had been cruelly wronged, my heart was just to generous and mag-nanny-mouse. And let’s be real, do you know how much energy it  takes to be mad? Like, I could do so much fun stuff with all that energy. If Mom was back, it didn’t matter that she’d left, didn’t matter why, didn’t matter how long she’d been gone because she was frikkin HERE!! (By the way, if you say it ain’t manly to want your mommy than bite me! I’m just a kid I can want my mom you wanking fucknutter.)

Ignoring my incredibly manly tears and the sneezing fit from her travel dust, I let myself be swept up in my mom’s wing. She has such a nice voice, the first one I’d ever heard you know, and damn it was just so damn nice not to be on my own. I had been trying to find Vasa for like, ever and I know I’m super entertaining and good and finding shit to do, but damnfuck I don’t like being on my own.

Mom pulls away a bit, which is fine, apparently something is happening amongst the adults but like, pfffft, boring!!!!! Am I right?! Right now I’m feeling pretty smug, having (like the hallowed paragons of badassery who came before me) single hoof-ed-ly reunited my family and saved the day. With a dumb grin on my face I turn to find Vasa, who presumably is feeling exactly as happy and content as I am right now.

……welp, guess not.

She fuckin launches herself at me and holy hell I gotta level with you, my favorite sister, ‘The Cutest and Most Adorable of Gingers’ can be a fucking terrifying monster demon for ell when she feels like it. ”AAAHHHHHH!!” SMACK! Vastra, the aggressor, knocks into me, the innocent lamb, and I just go sprawling. I mean seriously, she cause me so off guard I didn’t stand a chance. I wouldn’t have tried to his her even if’s she’d given me fair warning. (We all totally know I’d win, but come on, she’s a girl! What can ya do?!)   “I WAS LOOKING FOR YOU, YA FILTHY ANIMAL!” I yell it, knowing it’s the only way to get through to that thick, beautiful skull of hers. Presumably I am also trying to dodge blows by now, but I’m currently on my back, so how effective can I really be expected to be?

Castor

@Sohalia
FLECTERE SI NEQUEO SUPEROS, ACHERONTA MOVEBO
if I cannot move heaven I will raise hell
:: permission given for use of magic and force :: please tag Castor in all posts ::

Many things were happening all at once, and in spite of her relief at seeing two of the Dragon's Throat's best warriors returning home, she could not help the grief-driven jealousy that bubbled within her at the sight of a family reunion. She had never had the opportunity to gather her kin to her, not all at once. Not even close. Even if she had known that Megaera and Einarr's daughter was missing, she would have lamented her own losses all the same. That is not to say that her heart wouldn't have gone out to the couple before her. No, she knew all too well what it felt like to be separated from one's herd and family.

In any case, her morose mood was the least of her concerns as she explained the recent goings-on in their home. She had expected their reactions to be confused, bewildered, shell-shocked - but she had not expected fury, and she had not expected to be breaking the news of her demotion to Megaera. In the haze that Gaucho's death had left behind, the mare had hardly even remembered that there had been another lead besides him, and she immediately regretted having said anything at all. Better that they'd found out from someone else, some other way - but Megaera had not seemed to care for her in the past, and she was sure that the news stung all the more for the unease between them.

"No, he wasn't murdered," she said quickly, shaking her head. "As far as we know, anyway. Sikeax said..." Wait, what if the Physician had killed Gaucho? She was the one who seemed to know the most about his condition, after all, and she was the one who had supposedly tried to treat it. What if she had actually caused it? The pale lady swallowed hard. "Sikeax said that he was sick, and that she had done everything she could to save him, but by the time she found out about it, there was nothing she could do."

To Meg, the mare offered a sorrowful look. She was genuinely displeased to be sharing the news, would have preferred to have the Sunspear as their ruler, particularly with Gaucho gone and Sikeax new to the throne. "The Sun God... he said that you'd been absent too long," she told the other mare quietly, trying to keep the darker conversations between the adults. "I'm so sorry, I don't... I'm sorry," she ended lamely, awkwardly trying to make amends for the news she carried. "I - I think it's best if perhaps I leave you to yourselves for now. I'll be at the oasis if you have need of me. It's - it's so good to see you both, I'm so glad you've returned."

And then she was inching away, waiting until she was at a polite distance to take to the skies and escape the uncomfortable silence she'd left behind.

"Talk talk talk."
Astraeus.

OOC | I am a slow-poke but here's me wrapping up Soh's part here.

@Einarr