the Rift

[OPEN] Them There Bacchanalias

Roskuld the Sparklight Posts: 424
World's Edge General atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Tribrid :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 82 | Buff: ENDURE
Zchiraxicon :: Royal Rougarou :: Electric Smithers

So like,

What do companions even do?

Like, they’re there for you all the time, with you, eating when you eat, sleeping when you sleep, tied to you in every way, shape, and form while the both of you live. And even then, after you die, they follow you down that fun-slide all the way to the flames. They’re locked in you in mind and flesh and will be until the end of their days.

…Right?

Except nah, not really, cuz Chico looked at me on the first chilly night of the turning season, a night that blanketed the land in a wispy fog, and watched as I laid there snoring and farting and dead to the world and thought

Fuck it.

and left my ass there on the ground.

How often do companions do things like this? Leave your side on a whim, shimmying about the place with their own agenda in mind. More often than we think, probably. With a flap of heavy, feathered wings, Chico took off silently into the silky night, gliding on the mists that surrounded the forests and the clearings, his eyes large and wide and watchful for the slightest movements in the pale shadow. He had a thought—or an idea I guess of what he wanted, but his mind’s full of all kinds of fuck its and he didn’t really need to follow a train of thought. 

Once again, he was reacting. To a pull in his chest maybe, an itch that he wanted to scratch without waiting on our fat asses to wake up like civilized assholes and greet each other like respectable people do in the morning. 

Would it berude to wake the King’s confidant? Would it be wise to venture so near to a royal bed space? Pffft, everyone farts the same, Chico thought, landing on a long bough that overhang a still pool, its calm surface reflecting the almost full disc of a silver, glowing moon. He hooted once, his head swiveling and his eyes watchful for someone to waddle along and heed his call. 

Mbwene @Tembovu first please! Then welcome to all :D

Please tag ROSKULD in every reply!

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty
Mbwene & Chico
Mbwene often found herself sleeping alone in the evenings. She sometimes tried to accompany her bonded in his evening pacing wandering. But insomnia was not a trait that translated through their bond; where the Elephant King could struggle to find true sleep for days, the matriarch found it every night for long hours. Her attempts at joining her bonded were largely dependent on what pulsed between their bond. Some nights were calm unrest; simple thoughts that kept his thick legs moving around the Edge. Those nights she left him early, snuggling into her plush bed of dried shrubs and soft needles.

But on nights like these, when there was less calm and more agitation, that the little elephant tried to accompany her bonded in his restless ventures. Though, eventually, sleep did find her (if not her Elephant King), and so she found her exhausted, small body bedding down alongside a crystalline pool. It would be easy for her bonded to return to her either later in the evening or early in the morning, there next to the reflective surface. Though snuggling beneath a tree was a far cry from her bed. Annoyance pulsed to the King; were it not for his insomnia, she would be curled in her cozy nest rather than uncomfortably wedged on mossy roots next to a cool pool of water.

A loud hoot sounded above her, and the small, gray matriarch trumpeted an annoyed warning. Quiet. (The Elephant, in his distancing steps, looked around questioningly. Who was Mbwene talking to?) Now was the time for sleeping; that noisy owl could go elsewhere with his resounding hoots. Her tasseled tail flicked once among the misted roots, curling around her grey haunches; just as her trunk curled to gather the dense mosses beneath her head.

@Roskuld

Please tag Tembovu.

Hmph, good, Chico thought to himself, his powerful owl’s-eyes catching movement on the dark ground below. He didn’t have to scour the herdland all night after all; here was the object of his fancy, snuggling down by the pond-shore as though hunkering down for the night, completely and utterly clueless that there was a hot date she was supposed to be getting ready for. Even her annoyed little trumpet didn’t do much to discourage him; I was too sleep to feel the surge of excitement from Chico as he did the gentlemanly thing and waited until she was just comfortable enough to hop down from the bough.

He dipped quickly and silently down to the shore, his wing-flaps silent and silken on the pale night wind. Hey, he said, and it rang in my head instead but I was too knocked out to hear it. Heeeeey. He waddled on his large owl-feet, shuffling with his feathery owl-ass toward the sleeping form of the elephant. I don’t know why and he didn’t know why but there was something exciting about testing the poor girl’s patience. And sure, maybe it was all out of love, but that didn’t mean she didn’t have the strength to bust his ass if she felt like it. Maybe that was the spice to it. I dunno. I wasn’t the thing I would’ve done, anyway. Crushes are weird and they’re different for everyone, I guess.

He invaded her space super easily, just throwing all caution into the pit of fuck it. Heeeeeeey. He reached forward with his beak, in order to nibble her large flappy ear before hopping backwards on his awkward feet. It’s too late to be sleeping. The night wasn’t blistering but it wasn’t cold just yet, and there was the perfect balance of shadow and moonlight to fuck with shit without getting caught. He just didn’t feel like doing it by himself, is all.

@Tembovu, but still open y'all!

Mbwene & Chico
The owl’s (Chico’s, though Mbwene did not yet know that) silent flight did not startle the elephant’s drowsy snooze. Nor was it his silent, graceful landing. Not even the owl’s nearness broke into the dreams that were beginning to descend on her. The elephant matriarch slept deep and hard, so it took the the sharp nibble of a beak on her ear to rouse her.

And rouse her it did, with a loud, shocked trumpet and an angry flash of her abruptly open, bright blue eyes. Her angry glare found the source of insult: and owl awkwardly standing on the earth right before her. Perhaps the strangeness of the night’s raptor presence in front of her and the gentle, loving nature of the ear nibble should have given her reason to pause her angry irritation.

But it didn’t. The moment her eyes focused on the (handsome, Mbwene too-late realized) fish owl, her new magic welled around her trunk and shot out like an ashen bullet at Chico. A brassy snort followed her magic, eyes now watching with satisfaction as she waited to make sure that the owl had gotten her message: I sleeping. Leave alone.

The shocked annoyance rippled through his bond to Tembovu, whose mindlessly grazing head shot up, turning towards where he had left his sleepy companion. His hooves began to move back towards the pond where he had left her. But, at the satisfaction and the words that flowed through their bond, he paused. His grouchy companion, more often than not, could handle herself.

And so she did, staring pointedly at the owl she had just thrown her irritating, ashen magic towards.

@Roskuld
Mbwene's magic = Ashen: veil produced from body in some manner that obscures vision for 30 seconds and may irritate lungs.

Please tag Tembovu.

Pretty blue eyes sparked open in rage and Chico bobbed his head excitedly, wobbling awkwardly backwards on his over-large talons to make way for the outraged elephant surging to her feet. This was probably dangerous territory and if it were anyone other than Cheek they should’ve ran like hell from the little thing trumpeting for blood. But not Chico, oh no. It was exactly the kind of reaction he wanted and he clack!ed his beak at her, pleased that she was woke and ready to do some running around--

--but instead of wasting her time with that nonsense, she shot something at Chico’s face instead, catching him off guard and knocking him off his precarious stance onto his back, a pile of bent, frizzled feathers. He beat his wings because the thing that hit him was stuck squarely on his face, while he felt a peculiar burning sensation leaking through his tightly-closed eyelids (but uh, how far can owls really close their eyes, though?) Desperate, Chico zpsnk!ed into his large, grey lion’s bod, but the stuff on his face was still there and he was reduced to coughing (sneezy) whining as he hurriedly tried to wash the stuff off his face.

Aaaawgh jeez, he complained loudly in our heads (but I was knocked tf out so I didn’t notice). He lunged for the waterline, plunging his entire face into the calm waters, swishing everything about this way and that to get the stuff out of his fur. When he pulled out of the water his whole front end was soaked through; his mane, which was usually large and poofed and coiffed to perfection, hung limp around his shoulders while ropes of water dribbled from the ends of his hair.

From the drenched depths of his face his eyes shone through blazing and mournful as his gaze landed on Mbwene. Baby, why, he asked (though she wouldn’t hear it) and he lowered his head to his front paws, shooting her the most pitiful, teddy-bear-ish look he could muster with a countenance that screamed Asshole Forever no matter what he did.

@Tembovu, SORRY FOR TERRIBLE POST :C

Mbwene & Chico
Bright blue eyes widen immensely as the owl zpsnk!ed® into a lion. And not just any lion. Her lion. Chico. She leapt to her rounded feet, ears splayed out in surprise as her shocked gaze followed his whining self lunging into the water. Owl? The word echoed incredulously through their bond—and the associated image let the Elephant King know just what was happening back where he had left his tired companion. So much for sleeping, his amused thoughts chuckled back to Mbwene.

But the small elephant had neither time nor patience for her bonded’s mirth. Instead, her attention was focused wholly on the winged, horned, stinger’ed lion in the water before her. And, as she shuffled towards the water’s edge, satisfaction pulsed through her, creasing her face in a grin. For the first time she had been the one to surprise Chico. That never happened. It was always him, with his zpsnk!ing® and flying and electricity that surprised her. So she chortled happily, swaying with accomplishment on her stout forelegs.

But when his golden gaze peered back at her from his soppy mess of mane, the self-satisfaction slowly melted away. Her ears, once out and flapping with pride, deflated backwards. Her lifted trunk drooped as his head lowered to his front paws, pinning her with a mournful look.

And the little elephant narrowed her bright eyes at him, because his countenance was over-the-top pathetic. But, because it was Chico, she still shuffled forward. Trunk outstretched, she carefully smoothed the wet tendrils of mane out of his eyes, trunk lingering on his cheek. And then she cleaned away some leftover ash that clung to his horns, her trunk’s sensitive tip moving delicately along the hard, white length. She fixed him with a serious, intensely blue and unblinking stare, then, faces close, her trunk slowly reaching just past him to dip back into the pond—

—and she sprayed his face full of water, chortling with amusement as she lunged backwards.

Her mirth rippled through their bond, bringing a grin to the Elephant’s face.

@Roskuld hehehe this thread cracks me up <3

Please tag Tembovu.