the Rift

[PRIVATE] A father's daughter

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty
The air was brisk and briny; but the sun’s warmth still beat down from a cloudless sky. The Elephant’s hooves sunk and shifted in the gritty sands—though his attention was not in the softness at his feet. No, it was entirely and wholly on the dancing foal and flicking, black, foal-fuzz tail he followed.

The spotted filly, his Tutti, had been resolute and adamant in her demands to visit the pale yellow curl of sand that stretched to the south of the Edge’s cliffs. Her eyes, a bright blue he had given her, had glowed with excitement as she peered across the restless seas. The King hoped she would never lose this zeal for life; it was infectious, and he found her buoyant spirits bringing up even his heavy ones.

So, truthfully, there was nothing in the King that could have denied his spotted daughter’s request. He only postponed it until her slender, developing legs were more solid, so as to not bend or cause laxity in her young tendons. And, with the new season, came his acquiescing to her pleas to visit the beach.

His ivory hooves plodded through the dunes, “Stay away from that, Tutti!” He deeply rumbled over the nearing crash of waves, his horn motioning towards the Sandivy plant that clustered near the vague path they were walking, “It will make you itchy.” His navy gaze left his speckled daughter for a precious moment, watching the ocean breeze lift the dark green leaves to reveal their pale blue underside. As a precaution, he took a few larger strides, gently herding his daughter away from the irritating plant and towards the gently crash of waves.

He gently nipped at her spunky haunches, “Perhaps we can find the sea’s dragons today,” he had seen the Leafy Hippocamp but once, when he had left the beach after finding that Rexanna was pregnant by another… Despite his soured memory of the magnificent creature, he knew that his daughter’s avid curiosity would relish sighting one, “I saw one near the rocks, once.” His horn motioned towards some far-off sea-stacks as the finally reached the damp sand of the tide’s edge. “What do you think, Tutti?” His nostrils flared, taking in the fresh brine and his daughter’s warmth, eyes twinkling as he watched for her reaction.
I feel pretty
oh so pretty

@Katua
I feel like this is one of the few times I will ever be able to use this table XD
I also used a bunch of stuff from the land guide :D

Please tag Tembovu.

Katua Posts: 10
Outcast
Filly :: Unicorn :: 17.1 :: Two Seasons
Kwame :: Pygmy Hippopotamus :: None ali

let the waves up take me down
let the hurricane set in motion
let the rain of what i feel right now come down
Everyday Tutti had asked her father about going down to the ocean. She had seen it one day as she stood at the very  edge of the Edge's cliffs and had been obsessed with getting down there and seeing it up close. Everyday she asked and everyday her father had told her no, not yet. That morning, when Poppy had interrupted her breakfast and asked her if she wanted to go she had been unable to contain her excitement. Today was finally the day! She danced away from her mother and her brother, excitedly calling "Let's go, Poppy!" as she went.

The trip down was filled with excitement for Tutti. There were so many things she had never seen before that she didn't know what to look st first. "Look, Poppy!" she would call before racing ahead of him. When her tiny hooves finally hit the sand she froze, one ear tilting back. "It's squishy..." she said, her head dipping down so she could sniff at it. The sand went up her nose and she lifted her head, snorting and sneezing. She unceremoniously back up right into her father's leg and stayed there until her sneezing fit passed.

"Don't sniff it, Poppy." the spotted girl whispered. She tilted her head back so she could look up at Tembovu. "It doesn't like that." Her head dropped back down and a moment later she was off again to investigate a peculiar looking plant. Tembovu's voice behind her made the spotted filly veer in another direction because she didn't care much for itching.

"Poppy!" The girl squealed when she felt his nip at her haunches. She danced away, stopping only when she reached the water. Being naturally curious she lowered her head to get a better look. Then she tasted it. "Pbbbbtttttt!" She spit the water out and shook her head. "It tastes bad! How does a sea dragon drink it?"

"What do you think, Tutti?"

"I think we should live here." The girl said honestly. "Just Poppy and Tutti."

"."
let the rain come down

Tutti

Credit Code: Time

A low, rich chuckle rumbled from his massive barrel as the sand caused his daughter a fit of snorting and sneezing. And his chuckle grew into an outright laugh as she whispered that he shouldn’t sniff it because the sand didn’t like it. “I won’t, my little cub,” his deep voice shook with amusement as his bright navy eyes peered down into her serious blues.

His strides altered length as he tried to keep up with the bouncing, flitting antics of his effervescent daughter. Her spotted, little body darted all across the beach, before finally coming to stop at the ocean’s edge. “Don’t—“ but his warning to not drink the water was too late, for his daughter was already spitting out the salty sea and shaking her head.

Again, a wry chuckle and lopsided grin crossed his dark muzzle as he came to stand alongside her on the ebbing tide. His head dropped to her level as his heavy ivory hooves began to sink into the dark grey sand with each oncoming wave, “I do not know how the sea dragons drink it. You should ask them, when you see one.”

His muzzle reached out to gently butt her slender, bony shoulder as she proclaimed that just they, father and daughter, should live on the beach together. He gave her a smile, equal parts wistful and amused, before suddenly mischievously winking at her and raising his head. He took a few, long steps into the ocean’s waves—the surf was small today. When the water lapped just below his barrel, he turned to look at the spotted cub, becoming entirely motionless.

And then he began to change, his head grew larger. His nose grew longer. His skin turned dark grey and wrinkled; long, ivory tusks erupted from his lips. His trunk dipped beneath the waves, and then (with surprising quickness for such a large beast), he aimed it at Katua, sending a salty water deluge in her direction. An elephant’s laugh rumbled across the beach.
I feel pretty
oh so pretty

@Katua

Please tag Tembovu.

Katua Posts: 10
Outcast
Filly :: Unicorn :: 17.1 :: Two Seasons
Kwame :: Pygmy Hippopotamus :: None ali

let the waves up take me down
let the hurricane set in motion
let the rain of what i feel right now come down
She just couldn't keep still. There was so much on the beach that she wanted to see and experience that she was sure there wouldn't be enough time iin just one day. Tembovu's warning about the salt water didn't ledden Tutti's excitement or deter her from the ocean in any way. She just chalked it up as a lesson learned -- sea dragon water was gross.

Her ears tilted forward and her eyes widened when her father said that she could ask a sea dragon when she saw one. Immediately her tiny body turned toward the waves and she took a few steps forward. Would she really see one? Poppy definitely sounded confident that she would. "Sea dragoooonnnnnnn!" she called out, and as she did her fuzzy little tail wiggled from side to side. "I gotta ask you somethin'!"

Tutti's head turned and she looked at her father when he nudged her shoulder. She had thought that maybe he'd noticed a sea dragon and she hadn't. "Poppy?"she asked, and took a step to follow him as he moved deeper into the water. "Poppy, did you see....?" but her voice trailed and her mouth hung open when he changed.

What?

"Poppy!" the tiny girl gasped. "You're a sea effelant!" Seconds later he was spraying her with salt water. Tutti squealed and spun around so the deluge wouldn't hit her in the face. Oh, but Poppy wasn't going to just get away with it! She kicked her back legs up and sent a small splash of water at Tembovu. But that wasn't enough and soon she was bouncing through the water, trying her hardest to splash as much water at Tembovu as she could.

"."
let the rain come down

Tutti

Credit Code: Time

His amusement rumbled loudly in his great, elephantine body as her small legs and body tried to send water splashing at his large form. Her giggles cause his eyes to grow lighter, full of mirth at the ease and happiness of his time with his daughter on the beach. There were no half-truths, no myriad of emotions or heavy issues of diplomacy here.

Just simply a father and his daughter.

There had been a time in his life, long long ago, where this very moment is the only reason he had marched for the Makutano. The only reason he trained for the Banderi. To protect the precious moments that he was having on this beach with Katua. Only then, it had been for Mara and Faxr. Those lives—those moments—were lost.

But these were not.

So he rumbled with laughter at his speckled cub’s antics. She was as full of spunk as her mother; but not jaded by loss or corruption and vengeance. It refreshing—so wholesomely good. His trunk swung through the air, smacking the water and sending a spray of salt towards Tutti. “Poppy! You’re a sea effelant!” Her gasped, surprised words caused a trumpet of laugher to bray out of his trunk. As she bounded by, his trunk darted out, seeking to catch and wrap around her slender, youthful haunches and drag her to him in the deeper water.

Their antics, while gleeful, unfortunately mimicked the splashing of a wounded animal. And so, unbeknownst to the Elephant King (as his attention was so wholly focused on Tutti), their commotion attracted the hungry attention of the sea’s great predator. A large fin just breached the surface, the grey triangle sending ominous ripples through the day’s quiet surf, before the large shark slipped beneath the waves.
I feel pretty
oh so pretty

@Katua

Please tag Tembovu.

NPC Posts: 298
User-based Random Event
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
Whoosh, whush!

A summons sounds through the sea, beckoning a primal hunger towards the surface. Circling in the distance, the large, brute shark eyes the partially submerged, distant forms of the elephant and his daughter. His belly rumbles with hunger as each splash sends the instinctual sound of prey to his honed senses, and with each circle of his impressive body, he swims closer and closer to the unsuspecting pair.

The shark’s hunts have been unsuccessful for long enough that he manages to be tempted by the difficult prey, so close to the shore. While he knows that getting trapped on the sandy beach will cost him his life, not eating also presents the same, contemptuous end. The bull has lived too long and grown too strong to simply starve to death, and so he decides to take risk.

True predators know the art of the ambush, as does this one. Dipping beneath the water as he makes his approach, the shark angles his path more directly towards the pair, aiming for smaller, and more easily drug away, of the two. With the speed and power of a hurtling freight train, the agile shark plows towards Katua, and, with a thrust of his strong tail, he lunges up out of the water. Jaws spread wide in a spray of sea foam and sunlight, rows of jagged, ivory teeth gnash out towards the spotted filly, hungrily snapping for blood.

Slamming back into the water, the massive, sleek grey form of the shark attempts to make his way back to the sea, with or without his prize in tow. However, the same impressive size that makes his sudden appearance so terrifying also slows his escape. His muscular tail thrashes violently for protection behind him, his rows of dangerous teeth eagerly snapping at any sort of shadow or disturbance that might be an incoming attack or limb.

[ Katua has been attacked by a large bull shark! ]