the Rift

[OPEN] galaxy walk [joining]

Asavvi Posts: 41
Absent Abyss
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.2 :: 2
Laine

She walked in night but never in darkness, not with her friends to keep her company, to guard her. They floated near her head as she moved, three miniature stars that bobbed and twinkled, lighting her path and almost leading her. Even in the unfamiliar territory, she knew she had made it back to Helovia and so risked the light. If they had pursued her, she was far out of reach now, out of reach forever. 

Escaped…she had escaped, but could it be called that if she had not been held? No manacles, no bars, but they had kept her with them by different means, by making her want to stay. They had been in her mind, in her thoughts, silencing them and putting their own inside her. And good, they had been so very good as they leaned her, mimicked her style so that little Asavvi still had trouble telling the difference between her own feelings and the remnants of themselves they had left behind. Teach her, they had said they had said they were teaching her, that the birdman had brought her to them because she was a warblood child, and she needed to be fixed. and the had fixed her, but not all the way.

Home. 

She knew she wanted to go home, but couldn't quite force her feet southward. When her thoughts strayed toward the Throat it was like being shocked with a cattle prod. The sand, the heat…Mother…Father—NO!! They were bad people who did bad things; they hurt and that is wrong! But she could feel her mothers kisses, feel her father sheltering wing across her back and she still wanted them. Helovia was a more ambiguous goal, to broad to stir up the girl's mental tug-of-war and so she could take that step. Crossing the boarder had been caused a sight of relief but still she needed somewhere to go, somewhere to hide. 

She had been told of the falls in her foalhood, and so the yearling had hugged the northern edge of the threshold until she could be drawn in by the sound of flowing water. Thought the quiet night  she followed paths she'd never known, but even with her lights she got tuned around ever now and then. She could hear a waterfall, she knew is had to be close but she came up short. Stopping, she tried to take a gage of the dark trees, every direction looked like every other and she could no sooner pick the paths she had already tried than teleport herself into the hear of the herdland. "Hello?" she breathed it into the night, gentle voice puffing out in a vapor on the chilled air. "Is anyone there?" 
Does the secret fade—
            or is it everlasting?
Asavvi
Image Credit

Isopia the Mountain That Knows Posts: 780
Dragon's Throat Apostle atk: 6.5 | def: 10 | dam: 8.0
Mare :: Tribrid :: 18hh :: 3 - is now aging slowly HP: 90 | Buff: NUMB
Hubris :: Royal Bronze Dragon :: Shock Breath & Frost Breath & Babel :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Odd

"Yes."

The reply came from above, though in the darkness it wasn't clear just where from, specifically. The word was spoken in a tempered, academic tone that sounded positively sterile it was so devoid of emotion. It might as well have been a pre-recorded machine voice, answering a question. Darkened tree boughs stretched long across the nighttime sky, and held in them somewhere, was the owner of that robotic voice.

Isopia had been lingering on the border for gods knew how long. It wasn't necessarily that she was waiting for anyone (though she would have happily welcomed Zero back into her glade, had he showed up), moreso that the border of the Falls seemed to be quieter as of late.

In her raven form, Isopia blended in well with the inky black colour the leaves had become in the moonlight. Her deathly markers were only mere whispers of gray upon her shadowed face. On the same bough sat Hubris, though the bronzey dragon was asleep, leaning against the more sturdier portion of the tree. His tail was curled around his muddied stomach, and there was a faints mile on his draconian lips, as if he was having a pleasant dream.

Because Isopia hadn't moved for quite some time, her magic had almost fully taken hold of her body. Rather than looking like an overly large raven, she looked more like a raven-shaped lump of tree. A leaf had even sprouted from around her wing joint, covered in flexible bark.

Yes. That was all she had said, because it was all the starry girl below had asked.

Isopia
Abandon hope, all ye who enter here.
Image Credits

YOU SAID I COULDN'T BE IN YOUR SPAR, SO I CRASHED YOUR THREAD INSTEAD. HOPE THAT'S OKAY

@Asavvi

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here

Absent Abyss
Laine

It was a literal shot in the dark, that anyone who could help her would be out in the middle of the night;he hadn’t shouted, so her question could not have reached very far either. Sill, unlikely as it had seemed, a reply came just as calmly from somewhere in the nebulous dark. ’Yes.’ a voice said, and offered nothing more. 

There had been no threat in the voice, nothing to cause her fear (nothing at all for that matter) and so the girl did not start, or jump or scamper away. She had asked and been answered. ad satisfactory an exchange as she could have hoped for. Because she had more to ask, her head turned slowly around, grey eyes scanning the woods for the source of the voice. Her three little stars bobbed in an arc around her, following the direction of her gaze but there lantern-like light showed Asavvi no one. “Hmmm.” she pondered, and she stars seemed to respond to her voice and drew back towards her head as though whispering in her ears. 

It didn't unnerve her, but it did disappoint her a little to find no face to match the voice with, but she had heard it, of that she was certain and hoped that it's owner hadn't already gone. "Perhaps you could help direct me?" she said calmly into the night, "I am looking for the Hidden Falls and I believe I'm quite close—“ The sound of rushing water was somewhere near, as clear as the disembodied voice. Do you know how to get there?”
Does the secret fade—
            or is it everlasting?
Asavvi
Image Credit

@Isopia
I was only half kidding about the spar, have at if if you want :)

Hubris :: Royal Bronze Dragon :: Shock Breath & Frost Breath & Babel :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Odd

[OMG YOU'RE MAKING THIS TOO EASY LOLOLOL]

While Asavvi might have been frustrated, Isopia on the other hand was actually mildly impressed. Normally when Isopia was being isopia (she had become so bothersome to those around her that her name could now be used as a verb), the effect was immediate and obvious. The girl had assumed to perhaps see the filly stomp her hooves, pin her ears, or glare about. Instead, she saw ... what? The light from the floating stars cast distorted reflections onto the star girl's face, making it even harder for the demi-goddess to understand what it was she was saying. Curiosity? Patience?

The stars dipped back towards the filly, and then she seemingly rephrased her question. However whatever hopefulness that this girl might be clever disappeared as soon as the words began to leave her lips.

Perhaps you could help direct me? Despite the upward intonation that made what the girl said sound like a question, it wasn't. Not really. Perhaps I can, perhaps I can't. What you want to know, is if I will. Isopia thought, and continued to listen.

Do you know how to get there? Immediately Isopia's answer came: "Yes." She said in an identical voice as before, and as before, she answered only that which was asked of her. Now what would happen? Would the girl stomp and scowl, as Isopia had expected her to before? Would she pick up on what was happening and learn to phrase her queries in a better way? Or would she go with her instincts which told her that she was quite near the Falls, and just ... storm on it, ignoring the unhelpful voices from the trees.

Isopia was mildly curious to find out. And that was saying something.

Isopia
Image Credits

@Asavvi

Absent Abyss
Laine
”Yes.” There was the voice again, and because she had been expecting it, Asavvi was better able to discern the direction from which it came. Up. Well, it certainly wasn’t out of the realm of possibility that her unskilled conversationalist was lurking somewhere in the canopy above her. Her eyes turned upward, but with only her little lights the strange shadows cast by the branches made it impossible to see clearly.

As she willed it, more of the luminescent spheres winked into existence around her settling into equidistant points (the three already lit moved to join their fellows) and the whole host brought a warm, gentle light that illuminated all of her surroundings. Asavvi gazed upward, searching the branches for any animalian form and passing over a strange bit of tree they came to rest on the bronze dragon nestled there.

She cocked her head, curious, and watched the dragon for a moment. It certainly seemed to be asleep, but that could be a ruse. She knew little of dragons and less of their motivations. If it had been the dragon that spoke to her, she doubted he would be more eloquent now that she’d discovered it and so, thinking it might be shy, turned her head away as though examining other branched. If it hadn’t been the dragon that spoke, well, then it didn’t matter where she looked.

She was in no hurry, and so was content to flip back through the questions she’d asked and the incredibly direct answers they’ received. If this was a game of wills, well then she would very much like to learn the rules. “Will you tell me?” she said, not directed anywhere in particular.
Does the secret fade—
or is it everlasting?
Asavvi
Image Credit

@Isopia

The girl was learning.

Isopia pondered her question thoughtfully. Normally she wouldn't bother. It wasn't her duty to look after the lost or Falls-seeking world. Her duty here was to commune with her Father, and to grow stronger (a task she had given herself).  Wasn't it the responsibility of their fearless leaders to provide direction and assistance to those seeking entrance to their borders?

And yet ...

Isopia did have the authority to grant membership. Perhaps on the basis of that it was her responsibility somehow. Why else would she have the ability, if she wasn't expected to use it?

Hmm.

Then there was the girl herself. That she hadn't gotten frustrated, and that despite her youth, she seemed to be learning, was something that Isopia approved of immensely. Perhaps she would help this girl, if only so that the IQ of the Falls might rise slightly.

"That remains to be seen." Isopia answered truthfully. Then, after a pause, she decided to ask a question herself.  "Why do you wish to find the Hidden Falls? Are you looking for someone, or do you wish to become a member of the herd? Or something other reason?" Now that she was speaking more than one word at a time, the academic lilt of her voice become more prominent. It was as if she was overseeing some sort of oral exam, and was reading off the test questions the girl must answer in order to pass. In a way, that was almost precisely what she was doing.

Isopia
Image Credits

@Asavvi

Absent Abyss
Laine
When the voice broke through the silence again, Asavvi’s change of phrase was rewarded with more than a single word. She took this as progress, and listened quite carefully. Still her curiosity was not satisfied and so while the voice listed off its questions, she turned her head again, very slightly, so that she could peek up at the dragon from the corner of her eye. It still appeared to be very much asleep and the girl concluded this must not be her questioner.

The voice hadn’t seemed impatient, which she was grateful for, ad so she took her time trying to decide on the best way to answer. Honesty certainly seemed essential not that she approved of lies, but she couldn't rule out that this disembodied voice could not examine her thoughts like her captors had. That though made her slightly uncomfortable, the idea of other in her mind again. In a subtle but almost defensive move, she stilled, pulling her little wings in tight to her side as around her, the little starts gave a little pulse.

“Yes, I wish to join the herd, I have heard the hidden falls is a pleasant place and I need a place to hi—“ No, no not that, you mother taught you better than to hide from your problems. But mother does bad things.  “—to stay.” she amended. It was the truth, maybe not all of it. She also wanted to go to the Dragon’s Throat, to find her family, but couldn’t quite bring herself to do it. This could be a step in that direction, a safe place in Helovia to sort herself out, and she wanted that too. 

“I suppose I am also looking for someone who would allow me to do so; I wouldn’t want to trespass by going where I was unwelcome.”She stopped there, thinking she had adequately answered the voice's questions.
Does the secret fade—
            or is it everlasting?
Asavvi

Image Credit

@Isopia

Was it pleasant here? Isopia had lost all perspective on that. For the demigoddess, the Falls were a prison; a place she could never leave. Her child was buried here, and that alone was powerful enough to tether her. When she was asked, she often cited her Father as the dominant reason that she stayed, which most believed readily enough.

But pleasant? Well...sure. Why not.

Isopia heard the hitch in the girl's voice and the slight pause, though she was unsure what word was originally intended, and which "to say" replaced. Though it didn't matter, curiosity into the personal dealings of others was not where her curious mind often wandered. She cared about intentions and justifications, not past and familial motivations.

Having received more than enough information - and seeing more than enough of the girl to decide that having her in the Falls would surely be an advantage (if only because she clearly wasn't a moron, and that was more than the demigoddess thought of the majority of the herd), she nodded silently to herself.

"Then you have found what you seek. You stand on the borders of the Hidden Falls, as you initially believed. You may freely enter here, and continue on as a member of this herd, staying as one of us for as long as it suits you." Isopia offered, her voice now tinged with authority as she conferred membership upon the no-longer lost filly.

Sleepily, Hubris opened one large blue eye and looked down at the girl below. He smiled a dosey smile and trilled once in approval and greeting. Quickly however his eye lid slid shut, and he resumed sleeping.

Isopia
Image Credits

@Asavvi

Absent Abyss
Laine
Acceptance. The voice gave permission to pass and spoke it with such authority that the girl had no particular reason not to trust it. Perhaps she should have been happy with her success, but happiness…it was too big a word, too broad and to use it now would be to ignore off the trials and troubles that still lingered in her mind. She was…pleased. Yes, that suited, and relieved, enough to pull a meek smile as she nodded at the voice’s words-replaced by a brighter on at the sound of the dragon’s friendly trill.

“I am grateful for your help, please let me know if I can be of some assistance to you in future.” She didn’t give a nod or a little bow, as she was accustomed to, but her eyes swept the area again. She hoped she wasn’t being foolish, counting on a voice in the trees to steer her in the right direction. Ever practical, she pause a moment more before venturing onward. “Will you tell me your name? Incase I meet someone else and they ask who allowed me in?” She’d feel easier if she had some kind of insurance more substantial than “a voice in the forrest said I could”. Thinking it was only fair she offered a name in exchange. “I am called Csilla.” It wasn’t a lie either, that’s what they had called her. It wasn't her name, not the one she had been born with, but she shied away from “Asavvi” just as much as from going back to the Throat.
Does the secret fade—
            or is it everlasting?
Asavvi

Image Credit

@Isopia

True to her character, Isopia said nothing (nor felt anything) as the girl offered her thanks, and potential service in the future. The demigoddess required neither, and the darkened depths of the trees issued no response towards the starlit girl below.

Clever.. Isopia thought at the girl's request. It shouldn't have surprised her - after all, very likely the child below still could not see her. And even if she could, she would see a raven encased in wood - what sort of authority would that have conferred? The talking tree said I could join the Hidden Falls.. . Now that Isopia thought about it, it was rather absurd. Clever girl indeed.

"I will not." She responded, but that wasn't unusual. Isopia hadn't ever told anyone her name, and nothing in this conversation had inclined her to do otherwise. "However should any ask on whose authority you walk within our borders and claim these lands as your own, tell them that The Mountain That Knows gave you entrance and membership here."

Nodding to herself, Isopia stored the girl's name for future use, should she require it. Though in all likelihood, she would not. What need did she have of a filly? Even a mildly clever and patient one as Csilla proved herself to be? No .. many offered their services to the demigoddess (which she found strange, given how difficult to work with she usually was), and so she already had a running roster should she ever require assistance.

Still...if she saw this one inside of the Falls, she might not immediately evade her...so perhaps knowing her name would prove useful after all.

Isopia
Image Credits

@Asavvi

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here

Absent Abyss
Laine
She didn't receive a name in return for hers, but a title and an odd one at that. "The Mountain that Knows" only lent itself to a host of further questions: An actual mountain or a metaphorical one? What does it know? How does it know these things and what would a mountain (if it was a literal one) do with such information anyway? Asavvi might have liked to continue her questions but there didn't seem like much of a chance of her garnering more information out of the formless voice or its sleeping draconian friend. Though she couldn't rule out that it was a spirit of one of the actual mountains that lined the northern pass nearby, it seemed more likely that some invisible creature had spoken, though whatever reasons it had for being invisible were it's own to keep. She wouldn't pry now, not when she had a direction to go and permission to go there, and she was tired and well of a mind to find a hidden spot to nestle down for the rest of the night.

"I will." she nodded at the no-one and took a last look at the sleeping dragon. It had certainly seemed nice, but she thought it best not to disturb it's sleep any further and whispered a rather sweet "Goodnight, Dragon." as she light her little lights dim and wink out, letting the forest fall back into dusky darkness. She reserved only a small cluster, which resumed they're place in front of her and without another word moved forward and into the Hidden Falls.

It was foolish to trust a voice in the trees, she knew that it was...it had been foolish to trust a charming birdhorse too but now, when she knew she couldn't quite trust her own thoughts to be hers she would take the risk. She would learn what she could while she was here, and maybe in time make herself useful but now all she wanted was a place to hide, and the Hidden Falls, in the company of those that maybe she shouldn't trust was a better option that being alone in the Wilds, at the mercy of those that had already betrayed it.

Does the secret fade—
            or is it everlasting?
Asavvi

Image Credit

@Isopia Thanks Odd! She'll toddle off now :D