the Rift

[OPEN] come fly with me

Virga Posts: 42
Absent Abyss
Colt :: Tribrid :: Growing :: yearling
kae

What is there to do in the Basin, anyway?

Boredom grips you in its relentless fist. Your adventures south of home ended some time ago, cut short by a homesick, weary heart. They bore no fruit, anyway — you found nothing you wanted. Threads of a secret, black fear curl young tendrils into your chest, threatening to take root. Perhaps — perhaps you don't deserve the things you want, Virga. Perhaps you're a coward.

Not knowing how to fight the fear, not knowing anything except the double-time beat of your heart and the hot, hot fire in your blood, you plunge across the Basin. The minute pounding of your hooves resounds through your bones with every stride, and it feels good, and it feels fast, and so you keep running, your wings slicked instinctively close. A silly, youthful impulse: your body thinks it can outrun your head.

Well, it can try.

The trees scream past, and you weave through the shadows at their feet. Your young body, growing bigger and stronger every day, no longer tires as easily as it once did. You're a darkness, and you're strong. You run until the trees thin. You run until the sky opens up again, and head flung back, you brandish the narrow length of your horn at heaven, at everything daring to tower above you. In a moment of hubris, or of spite, you long to topple it all.

Your lungs, tired of sucking at too-thin air, tell your legs to slow and for just a moment, everything in you resists. Keep going, you want to scream. You want to run off the edge of the world, right into the sky. But even the muscles of your neck ache with that position and rudely, the lower world jerks back into view. There's the Basin, ugly in familiarity, the ridge of the mountains, the dull dirt, someone toddling along in the wake of it all like this is normal, acceptable —

Hey, wait.

You know her, don't you?

Now, honestly, Vesper isn't as familiar a sight as she ought to be. You've been on your own, doing Virga-centric things, ignoring the girl and whatever her own interests are. You've forgotten how she looks from far away, forgotten the way she matches you — almost but not quite. Elated, excitement already slick in your veins, you hurl a ringing, rumbling, garbled exclamation in her direction. Your body, sweating a little even in the cool air and unsteady with all your pointless running, breaks to an uneven trot. You ought to speak now, right? You ought to say something? You don't want her to leave now you've found her, but you're too busy staring, celebrating, to actually do much.

Heaving to a stop, you stare at her, the animosity gone from you black eyes. Joy replaces it, simple and shining. "Vesper!" you remember. Your voice, still young, fractures around the edges. It's a boy's voice, but there's a certain timbre beginning to fill it, a masculine edge creeping into the sound just as it creeps into the crest of your neck and the set of your stride. You give your body a good, rough shake and bound up toward her, your wings flapping in what's certainly a display of good cheer. "Oh! What are you doing?" And a moment later you stop, because a moment later you notice — you remember — the bird. Your eyes pin it down with quivering precision.

"Um," you say. More quietly.

Virga
silver horses chased down moonbeams in your dark eyes

image credits

@Vesper I hope you don't mind! :D

Messages In This Thread
come fly with me - by Vesper - 09-07-2016, 04:53 PM
RE: come fly with me - by Virga - 09-09-2016, 10:52 PM
RE: come fly with me - by Frost Fyre - 09-12-2016, 04:44 PM