the Rift

[OPEN] My heart is a ghost town [Iskra birth]

Ampere The Mother of Companions Posts: 719
Dragon's Throat Sultana atk: 9 | def: 11 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 hh :: 6 years HP: 73 | Buff: DANCE
Kygo :: Green Cheek Conure :: None Blu
Hope the wound heals but it never does, that's cause I'm at war with love
Never let a wound ruin me, but I feel like ruin's wooing me
An egg rocked steadily back and forth on the sands in the pre-dawn twilight. Next to it, Ampere laid quietly, the blue of her gaze a strong light in the fading night, watching the movement with a steady, though distant, fixation. By now this was a well practiced routine; her body and her prize tucked away in some deep recess of the throat, hidden by whatever sparse shrubbery and canyon overhands could be found. Her hide was darkened with sweat, and her flanks still heaved with the effort, but this labor had been brief and easy compared to the others. Motherhood was drawn into her body now, inescapable in some aspects, no matter how strictly she trained her muscles or thinned her fat.

Stillness descended upon the egg for a time. Curiously Kygo observed from his perch in a nearby bush, until finally his fascination could be contained no more and he hopped across the sands towards it. Larger than him the great egg was utterly intimating to the small parrot, but undeterred he approached it, sizing it up as he reached onto the very tips of his toes, head tilting back and forth to grant each eye a fair view of the curved and smooth surface. Gently he reached out with his beak, a faint click connecting shell and bill. His eyes pinned rapidly. Encouraged by the lack of response from the egg and Ampere, he swung his beak against its side again, this time resulting in a loud clack as the two hard surfaces collided. Abruptly the egg quivered again, thrusting with pent up force that sent it rolling over its sandy lip and down towards Kygo.

The conure unleashed a fearful squawk as he backed up hurriedly and then was bowled over by the pegasus egg, his body pushed into the sand where it left a vague indentation. Leaping onto his wings as soon as the egg passed and the pressure let up, Kygo complaintively settled back int he safety of his bush, feathers puffed up and mussied.
The commotion drew Ampere's focus more to the present. In a light time she might have laughed at the parrot's misfortune, but the antics didn't even stir the weakest muscles of her lips, which instead remained thinly pursed in a line of deep thought and mild disapproval. Meanwhile the egg hadn't rolled far, stopped soon enough by another swoop of sand that cradled it in place. It had however, begun to crack at long last.

Blinking away something wet, Ampere watched patiently as the shell steadily broke away in shales and fragments, until at last it gave way under the internal beating and splintered apart, spilling out the wet babe it'd been so desperately protecting.
Ampere's nostrils flared at the tang of the birth fluids, and with an almost robotic response she hoisted herself to her feet and began to clean the fresh foal.

Gone was the terror that had gripped her with her first two three eggs. Absent was the eagerness that had accompanied her last two eggs. Instead Ampere felt a deeply rooted grief that strangled this moment into suffering. Ampere wanted to embrace this babe for all that he was; an embodiment of her and Gaucho's love, but instead she her tongue rolled around the ash in her mouth and her chest tightened around the hollowed organ that pulsed within. She couldn't love this son when she could barely look at him, the memories of the Wildfire too easily caught within him. She couldn't love anything any more.

He will never meet his father, Ampere lamented, lashes tangled with saline.
A pause as she breathed in the babe, then quivered with despair for the familiarity that she found fresh upon him.
But he will know of him, she decided with something firmer, something terrifyingly close to hope.

Ampere

image credits

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Iskra Posts: 79
Dragon's Throat Colt
Colt :: Pegasus :: 17 :: 1 year
Castiel :: Royal Humpback Leviathan :: Tidal Wave Blu

It began with a struggle, as all of her children must endure for their right to survive.

He had been feeling it for a while - tight. The comforting little world in which he had slowly grown was becoming rapidly too small, pushing his neck and his head awkwardly between his limbs which folded every which way and shoved roughly against the interior of his calcium crib. Eventually it just became too much and he thrashed against the constraints, a perfect mixture of angry and afraid. He was upset that he felt cramped, but he was concerned for what that meant. All he had eve known had been comfort and space, and now he was faced with his first hurdle, his first recognition of change and the certain inevitability of some things. He could not remain this way, he simply couldn't, so naturally, he fought.

Initially the struggle got him nowhere and he was forced to take frequent breaks, his heart rate jumping with the energy. In fact, for a while he rested and started to reconsider, started to think that perhaps this was it. Until, a little tapping came. It was so quiet at first he wasn't sure, and blinking, he waited for either sanity or its return. It didn't disappoint, returning louder this time, more urgent, as if summoning him. Rejuvenated by this encouragement he gathered all of his might and shoved towards the sound all at once, and then things changed.
He rolled, tumbling over himself several times before flopping, upside-down, to another stop. Except now he felt something cool against the wet of his skin. Something that fluttered and moved as if breathing. He pushed against the sensation and felt give instead of solid complaint. So he pushed again and again, feeling the cage loosening all around him with each drive until finally.

Freedom.

The casing broke in three large pieces and unceremoniously plopped him into the world. Sand immediately introduced itself as it slathered against the right side of his face, clinging happily to the wet smear of old yolk that garnished his bay hide.
Weak from his exertion, and wholly unaccustomed to, well, everything, his body trembled whenever he asked something of it. Meekly his head lolled around as his eyes strained to focus, aware for the first time that there was more than just shadows and light, but that there were things, and movement! Something came, something dark, and warm, and then abruptly wet and invasive against his hide. A squeaky complaint quivered from his chest and out his nose, though he quickly realized it was actually a nice sensation. He tried to turn his head to look at this thing that was nice and warm, and in doing so topped a bit onto his side. Wobbly he tried to turn again, willing his legs to function and rise, to stretch and uncurl, but it was slow going.

Sohalia the Transcended Posts: 477
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: 10 (ages in Orangemoon) HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Astraeus :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya ChaoticMelodies
Sohalia
the Transcended
After Ampere's tears had dried, another presence appeared across the sands. Sohalia grew closer before she realized that she had stumbled across a private scene, and though she had not meant to intrude, she found that she could not pull herself away. The blue she recognized instantly as Ampere. At her feet was a newborn colt surrounded by shell casings. She felt a sudden thrill of shock and pain - perhaps she was looking too closely, destined to see his ghost everywhere, but she almost imagined that the foal looked like Gaucho. She certainly wasn't going to ask - especially not now - but the thought that there were more of his children around both relieved and unsettled her. If true, it would mean one more piece of him to admire, even if from afar. But it would also mean that she had not been good enough to keep his interest in the end.

He was a pretty thing, the newborn: bay, with beautiful blue and gold markings that reminded Sohalia of fire and lightning. For a moment, the mare hesitated, wondering if her presence would be welcomed or even tolerated. But then, remembering the difficulties of her own births, she decided to step forward. What if Ampere needed a healer? It did not take her long to reach Ampere's side, though she stood at a careful, respectful distance. She had never known the other mare as a mother, and had no desire to be chased away after rousing any protective motherly instincts.

"He's beautiful," she said softly by way of greeting. Astraeus, always near his bonded, appeared in the sky, circling lower with a friendly crooning sound. His wings sparkled and glinted as the sun's light filtered through the sparks that fell from his body. Perhaps the foal would find the sight thrilling; perhaps Astraeus would be ignored. In any case, the wakiya settled carefully on Sohalia's back, watching the scene with a vague interest. -Many foals now,- he commented. His voice was bland, but his bondmate understood his meaning. There were more little ones to protect with warriors they did not have.

Shaking off the morose train of thought, Sohalia smiled kindly at the babe, her nose scrunching slightly as she admired him. She had always been fond of children (as one might imagine), and this one was no exception, regardless of his who his father was or was not. To Ampere, she asked simply, "Can I get you anything?" The blue appeared to be doing well, but there were some birthing injuries that could not be seen.

"Talking."
-Astraeus.-

@Ampere

Sohalia
Image Credits
Please tag Sohalia in all replies.
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Want to place an order?  Visit Crystalline Creations here!
Want to plot with Sohalia?  Visit her plot page here!

Before, Ampere would have hated anyone to see her this way - vulnerable. It was what had caused her to attack Gaucho the last few times he'd been present at her births, what had driven her to shout at Tandavi... but with time Ampere had come to cherish the surrounding of friends and families, had opened up and let them lift her up when she was weak.

Being alone now with nothing but her child felt more vulnerable than all those other times before.
Gaucho would not come to this one.
Tandavi was no longer present to shake sense into her.

She was finally alone, and it was awful.

Kygo warbled a gentle greeting as Sohalia and Astraeus appeared; it was also a nudge against Ampere's soul that she was not, in fact alone. The realization of that was not often comforting to her though, not from him, but only because it was true.

Ampere's gaze flicked towards Sohalia like a dim streak of lightning in the graying dawn. There was a softening to its hardened edges, and somehow the mare's presence seemed to bring color back into the dull glaze that affected Ampere in more than just her irises. Still, she hadn't the heart to offer even a weak smile, so all she did was nod in quiet greeting, an acceptance of the other's presence and praise, for whatever it was worth.

“If only beauty was enough," Ampere intoned cynically, her attention shifting to the babe with a certain apathy. She saw Gaucho in him, a reflection she both relished and savagely wanted to be rid of for the agony it beckoned. It resonated even stronger now as the newborn, still weak, struggled to even stand. Under normal circumstances this was expected, and if she were to look upon him as a child and not the Wildfire she would have accepted it, but beneath the shadow of his father's death, it felt like she was watching the fire burn out once more, and she felt deeply wounded for it. Unwilling to watch him die twice, she bumped her nose against the babe's side, encouraging him to rise. Kygo crooned support to the hatchling, and Ampere.

“I'm healthy, if that's what you mean," Ampere talked slowly, sadness tinging her every word, dragging them down. She suspected Sohalia didn't actually intend to get her what would help, how could she? Surely the mare didn't mean to ask if she was well, because any answer worth saying was going to be a lie. Nothing could fix this - Ampere knew she felt it too. Yet she has the strength to care about others... Ampere thinks dismally, ever weakened beneath Sohalia's grace.

“How is your daughter?" Ampere manages to ask after a bout of silence, not wanting Sohalia to leave her for being rude, but unable to hold any worthwhile conversation at the moment. That question seemed the best route - she didn't dare ask Sohalia how she herself was doing, because selfish as she was, Ampere knew the Transcended echoed her grief, even if she hid it better.

Ampere

image credits

Iskra Posts: 79
Dragon's Throat Colt
Colt :: Pegasus :: 17 :: 1 year
Castiel :: Royal Humpback Leviathan :: Tidal Wave Blu

There came something new. Something bright. Something beautiful.

It began as a pleasant sound; a gentle voice drifting across the gray world, begging for Iskra's attention. He turned his head, his legs suddenly very unsteady due to that, but even as he faltered it was worth it to see the bright white shape come near.
It ended as a bright blaze; the sky itself seeming to catch fire and mark her. The abrupt and bright glow faintly startled Iskra, and as his muscles and skin quivered with the urge to flee, he plopped onto his side in the sand with a plaintive mew. Curiosity quickly displaced his initial response however, and with a sideways view he watched the magnificent bird land upon her, his teal eyes widening with awe.

She spoke then, and the sound bolstered Iskra's heart with a newfound glee. He tried to rise once more, bleating as she touched him, bumped him, stirring a rise within him. Furiously his tail wagged, and finally his wings unfurled. Too wet to do anything but flop around, they nonetheless balanced him a bit more. As they un-hugged from his sides, an orange glow revealed itself from beneath the feathers. Upon closer inspection, he was literally sparking. Small, harmless flares of flame and streaks of electricity rolled below his wings and spilled out over the top of his primaries, falling off the edges and dissipating before even hitting the ground.

Encouraged by his dam and Kygo, Iskra finally stood, firm enough that he could take a few steps forward and take his first drink.

Sohalia
the Transcended
She wondered briefly if Ampere simply wanted to be left alone. If she were in the Mother of Companion's place, what would she want? Now, more than ever, Sohalia was certain that Ampere's child was Gaucho's - and if that were true, then looking upon his dark face could cause only heartbreak. However much Ampere loved her son - and the mare did not doubt that she loved him - that budding affection paled under the weight of the death of the stallion she (they) loved. But if she were Ampere, she would not want to face the darkness that yawned before her alone. And if her lover was gone, who would she turn to?

Wouldn't she want someone who understood her pain?

With a shaky breath, the Transcended shook her head. "No, you're not," she responded bluntly to Ampere's declaration of health. "Neither am I, anymore." The pair watched the colt upon the sands, no doubt both comparing him to his father. Was Gaucho ever so small, so insignificant? "We'll get through this, you know." It was a murmur, a whisper, almost a promise. "You don't have to suffer alone." It wouldn't be fair, not when Ampere, at least, had noticed something wrong. All Sohalia had done was watch from afar, never even knowing that the Wildfire was ill until it was already over.

A note of surprise colored the mare's bicolored eyes when Ampere asked about her daughter. "Vinati is faring better than we," she admitted with the slightest hint of a smile. "She sees ghosts, so it is easier for her to imagine a healthy father waiting for her in the world beyond this one. She sees it as a temporary separation, where all we see is the finality of death." She sighed heavily. Even with her ability to step into the spirit world, Sohalia's gift was weaker than Vinati's. She had yet to find her former mate's spirit wandering nearby, though it wasn't for lack of trying. "Sometimes I wish I could see things her way, but I fear I am too old now to find the magic she sees in the world. All I see is the pain and sadness that lingers in his wake."

The foal stood then, and the mare found a soft smile upon her face. There was strength in the babe indeed. She just hoped that it would be enough to bolster his mother's failing spirit.

"Talking."
-Astraeus.-

@Ampere

Sohalia
Image Credits
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Ampere was surprised by Sohalia's firm response. "No you're not," then why ask, Ampere wondered faintly, or “is it that obvious?" She hadn't exactly bothered to hide it, really. Not like Sohalia. Oh, she knew the mare was likely just as broken as she on the inside, but the Transcended, always stronger than Ampere in ways the eye couldn't see, was able to still cope. She still put on the face the herd needed, still managed to be civil and capable enough to even help the others that were grieving, like her.

It was admirable, but Ampere also felt some cruel pang of jealousy, and hated Sohalia just a little bit for it.
Why can't someone else be a mess besides just me, was the jist of it.

Yet, just as equally, Ampere was grateful for Sohalia and the raw honesty she spoke, even if she wasn't crawling around on the sands like Ampere. “What does suffering together accomplish?" she asked with a new tiredness, unable to find hope in Sohalia's words, even if she found kinship. “How can you be so capable still? Doesn't it hurt every moment? Doesn't it come up every time you look around?" Something like a strangled sob escaped her.

“He's everywhere here," she whispered. “I'm torn between wanting to see him in everything, and wanting to avoid the memories dredged up by it. I-" she broke of, unable to put whatever it was she feeling into words. Either way, she knew Sohalia would understand, just too bad it was enough.

It was something though, and something was better than the nothing she'd had.

Ampere quieted, somber as she listened to Sohalia share her daughter's abilities and sighting. She was startled by the girl's power, and hadn't know of Sohalia's capabilities for it until then either, she'd only ever known of the mare as the crystal maker. Still, Ampere felt reluctant to believe or hope. “It would be nice to think as she does," Ampere agreed, quiet as she contemplated, not for the first time, what might be after death. Like Sohalia though, she couldn't find any brightness at the end. Gaucho had burned with a light when he lived. In his death the flames snuffed out, and that was proof enough to Ampere what happened when you died.

Nothing.
Darkness.
Loss.

“You're very brave, you know," Ampere murmured after a moment of quiet. Her head was bowed in though, and gently she turned the gray-blue of her gaze towards the pale mare. “Thank you," she said with as much passion as she could still muster, because she truly meant it. She might have gone mad if she were left alone in this hour, but it was more than that. Something that had always been hidden and danced around between the two of them had finally been exposed, even if not spoken aloud. That Sohalia now knew, and Ampere was sure that she knew, about Gaucho and her and had the heart to still support her was so kind it hurt. It was a reminder of the good left in the world, the way the sun still peeks past the edges of the storm, or the way a butterfly makes it through a hurricane. If Ampere couldn't find beauty, or hope, or love within herself or the world any longer, she could at least find some shred of it in Sohalia.

She had deserved the Wildfire all along.

[Just skip Iskra. He's nursing/falling asleep.]
Ampere

image credits

Sohalia
the Transcended
“Is it that obvious?”

“Maybe not,” Sohalia responded, her voice tired. “But I feel it, too.” She wasn’t actively trying to hide her shattered soul, not really; but she was aware of those affected by her actions. She could not bring herself to disappoint her shrinking family yet again by falling apart. She had left them alone for so long… what kind of mother would she be if she returned only to desert them mentally? What use would she be if she offered only her empty body, but not her mind or her soul, to those who needed her? And so she sought them out or stumbled across them in turn, placing her tattered emotions into a well-worn box that sat in the back of her mind, threatening at every moment to overflow.

Impulsively, the dove reached out to the blue as the other mare’s voice broke, carefully sidestepping the newborn and stand closer to Ampere’s side. If allowed, she would rest her muzzle on Ampere’s shoulder in an unusual show of camaraderie. When she spoke, her voice was thick with emotion and her eyes glazed with tears; it was obvious that she was fighting the pain that threatened to take over.

“Of course it hurts,” she whispered fiercely into the mare’s shoulder. “The last time I spoke to him, I said awful things. He killed my daughter, you know – back when he was under the Moon’s curse. And after years, I brought that back up just because I was hurt in a stupid argument. I never got to speak to him again, never got to touch him, never got to say –“ Goodbye. “He’s everywhere, you’re right, he’s in everything here. I just want to – to leave, to get away from all the memories, all the regrets -“ She stilled for a moment, silent tears leaking from between closed eyes. When she continued, her voice was choked and soft. “But there’s such good here, too. He did so much for our herd, for our family. And I can’t abandon them to face this alone.”

Vinati’s way of thinking would be welcomed, but it wasn’t so easy to adopt. No, where the girl had managed to placate herself with Gaucho’s ghost and the promise of someday, her mother was selfish. She wanted the real Gaucho, here and now, in the flesh. There might be life after death, her mate might be waiting on the other side of what came next, but for now… for now, she just couldn’t see it.

Of bravery, the mare knew little. She had never imagined herself to be particularly courageous, always doing merely what was needed of her. Perhaps that was brave, in a way, that she never questioned what harm might befall her if she could do something for a loved one. And she might have responded this way, shaking her head and denying the compliment, but then the blue thanked her, and she withdrew to regard Ampere thoughtfully. A worn, lopsided, exhausted half-smile appeared on her features. “Of course. Any time.”

She paused, then added: “I used to hate the thought of you, you know – not you yourself, but just the idea that someone might have the ability to come between Gaucho and I. And, gods, you tried so hard when we first met!” A soft chuckle left her in spite of herself. “But I realize now that whatever happened between you and Gaucho, it was just… him. I asked him to be something that he wasn’t, but I wasn’t ever around to give him a reason to be that, and now – well, it’s almost… comforting. I’m not alone in feeling this – this heartbreak. So… friends?” It was odd, this new turn in the conversation, particularly in its timing, but somehow it felt natural to divulge this to the blue. After all, no matter how hard they’d fought it, they had turned out to be just like each other in the end.

"Talking."
-Astraeus.-

@Ampere

Sohalia
Image Credits

Sohalia's gesture of comfort, the sensation of her touch upon Ampere's shoulder, was initially met with stiffness. Ampere hadn't expected it, least of all from Sohalia, but after the momentary surprise her form became supple with acceptance. Grief has a way of bringing souls together, however unexpected. The physical display was proof of that, but more so, it was exactly what Ampere needed. That Sohalia was present to provide company had been enough to keep Ampere sane, that they shared this torture was something Ampere could hold onto in the darkest moments because this was someone who she knew would understand. The Transcended, proving once again her strength, took that even further though, breaking through some exterior of Ampere, however weakly held up in this moment of morose exposure, to forge something miraculous.

The mixture of this sensation and the brutal, shared honesty in Sohalia's words caused Ampere to disintegrate even further, her sobs racking her frame with an utter lack of control or composure. Yet the Mother of Companions was lifted up because of it, the release more of a healing sensation than a damaging one. Though, admittedly Sohalia was no healer, and Ampere was damaged to such a state she'd never be fully repaired, but it was still something better than what would have been.

As Sohlia spoke, as she revealed matters Ampere had never known, her heart went out to the pale mare. In response she moved to pass a wing across Sohalia's back, if allowed, uniting them in this effort of self-support. They had both leaned on either side of Gaucho, and now in his absence, they inevitably crashed into each other. It made a bruise or two, but they were still there, holding each other up. Their words, their thoughts, their hearts mixed and churned together. “You deserved that hurt... it's an awful thing... but know that he loved you, no matter what arguments." She didn't know if Sohalia could believe that, but Ampere did. After everything she and he had fought about, with how good of a heart she knew the stallion to possess, she was certain he hadn't left with any lack of love for the Transcended, just a disagreement that wasn't as easily settled in the past. “As for goodbyes... sometimes I think it's better not to say them, because then we aren't promising and end, just hoping for a continuation."

Gradually Ampere was regaining some modicum of composure, but as Sohalia chuckled Ampere gave her own small laugh, as if evident her sanity had fractured and she was forced to the other side of grief where you could jokingly reviewed prior animosity. “I was different in my youth," Ampere agreed, unable to deny the wrongs she had committed against Sohalia, especially now that she knew the mare so much better. “I'd never had a love like what existed between the two of you... it was beautiful." Ampere had known little of honor and true family then, having existed nearly feral for her first several years. She took what she wanted then, because it suited her. Why had it been him though? She had often wondered that, with no real explanation. The heart wants what it wants.

“He was a brilliant flame that drew everyone to him." Not just love-struck mares, but a whole herd, and then some. It was her response to Sohalia's admission that part of it was Gaucho, this inevitable magnitude that drew him to more than Sohalia and vica versa.

As Sohalia concluded, Ampere was stunned. To think that in this moment they shared camaraderie was already astounding, but it was private, and they were both wounded. Yet to openly invite a continued friendship among mares that had once been at intense odds - why Ampere had a harder time making friends of horses she had served well. Yet she had no qualms, and if her surprise was a period of silence, it was only because she had never considered herself worthy of such forgiveness, and was honored at the extension of it. “Friends," she firmly agreed, and some splinter of her heart was returned.

[WELL SHIT, I couldn't even get half as good of a response up as your post ;-; but omg these two]

Ampere

image credits