[OPEN] strangers just passing along

Frost Fyre Posts: 198
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3hh :: 6 Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Altair :: Common Cerndyr :: Starpast prissy
Frost Fyre
wonder, wonder what you might do
you can't simply hide our dream in the blue
It started as one of their midnight ventures, as a stroll around the Basin and then, perhaps, the the Steppe at most. But those kids, those star kissed, moonlit kids, they held her mind. They couldn't be cousins, Mesec didn't look anything like his father (a red wisp in her memory). They looked too much like the moon boy for it to be mere circumstance.

It depressed her; the possibility of her friends all moving on, having kids, living to the fullest extent, juxtaposed against her. She was the Haruspex who knew little on how to be such, the star loving maiden without any to tell of the unimaginable wonders of the constellations. He was the Nightwind, she was the loveless, alone except for the elk by her side (but he was an extension of her soul, she hardly counted him as a separate being at all).

So, Frost Fyre the Forlorn whispered silent goodbyes to the ruins of the sentinels, her heavy soul and remorseful heart keeping her from turning back. She spent the night under stars that didn't shine as bright, amongst pine that didn't smell quite right. She longed for a home that no longer existed and friends that had long forgotten her smile.

She kept going, kept searching for what wasn't there, till she ended up at the Rotunda. The Haruspex was baffled. Had she really gone that far? Had it been that long? The maiden sighed, knowing she would need to head back soon (too soon for her to heal her hurting heart). Altair touched her side, his normally warm, comforting lips, felt cold. She looked to him, her brow furrowed, surprised to see a ruby red rose, encased in glass, tucked between his lips. "Pretty," she commented meekly, a weak smile on her lips. He placed the vermillion ornament gingerly in her hair, by the purple star behind her ear.

And at last, the maiden was complete. She stood somberly by the water's edge, gazing at her reflection stoically, her appearance phantasmal against the vividness of reality around her.

@Roux woo :D

image || table
Dawn is coming
open your eyes

Roux Posts: 57
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 5 :: Orangemoon HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Edison :: Red Kite :: Rage Semper

Things seemed to actually be going fairly well, even though I still hadn't quite made my way over to the Edge yet. The nerves of finally seeing my twin again after so long, after all that had happened to our family, it was going to be strange. Probably even a little uncomfortable, I wasn't ready to let go of the little bit of joy that was circulating through my blood stream just yet. So I was avoiding the once sparkling glass border with everything in my being, and the kite was growing more and more irritated with me as the seconds ticked by. "I promise I'll go tomorrow night. But tonight I want to see the Rotunda again." I promised the kite mentally as he swooped down from one of the branches he had settled on to find his perch on my hips, one of the many places littered with scars from his sharp talons, all of the nerve endings there numbed from the constant sticking.

There was no sound from the bird of prey other than his feathers ruffling against each other as he settled in for a nap while I traveled closer and closer to the beautiful, strange building that had the multi colored glass that I had only been able to fully enjoy through the eyes of Edison. As much of an asshole as he could be, I was thankful for him and his willingness to work with my...disability. I sighed as dark rimmed ears flicked back, moon eyes working to the best of their ability during our midnight adventure it didn't take too long to find the familiar path to the cobbled building.

A smile flittered across my slightly dished features (a gift from my mother) as I approached the destination, only to be distracted from my thoughts by the sound of a familiar voice over the gentle fall breeze. "Pretty." My tarnished crown shifted to look at the speaker, only for monochrome eyes to settle upon a familiar spotted frame. Frost Fyre a face I recognized from my days in the Basin when I was younger, before I had gone into hiding after becoming a murderer. It seemed she too had a companion, her's a stag nearly as large as she was, an impressive duo the two made.

"Go talk, she sad." Edison's creaky voice slipped into my subconscious as the mare dipped her tiara towards the creek, her eyes (green if I remembered right) searching her features for something. "Fine, fine." A shudder passed over my bloody pelt to irritate the kite a little for pushing me towards being more social than I had intended. Silky black strands smacked at my hips as ebony and ivory dipped limbs moved closer to the spotted mare, careful to step on a stone or a twig as I moved closer to make my presence known. "Frost Fyre, it's been a while." Deep vocals broke the sound of crickets chirping when I stopped a step or two away from my childhood friend, I wondered if she would remember me. I hadn't done a good job at keeping myself known in the Basin...or anywhere for that matter until recently.

"Speech" text
ROUX & EDISON
couldn't say I love you,
so I became heartless.

image credits | @Frost Fyre | <3
Now waking to the sun
I calculate what I had done
Like jumping from the bow
Just to prove that I knew how
</style>
pixel by nikkayla

Frost Fyre
'The red looks nice against the green,' Altair commented on the subject of the color of her eyes and the rose entangled in her mane. She didn't reply, she only kept her gaze fixated on the soft rippling of her reflection, on the soft dark tendrils flowing from a head that didn't feel like her own, wound around a stolen tiara.

A single ear swiveled back, taking note of the sound of heavy hoofbeats gently snapping twigs and rustling grasses behind her. Oh, but the maiden didn't care enough to turn around and take note of who it was making the noise, she only kept looking at her reflection, and the way the glass around her rose looking in the moonlight. And then—

"Frost Fyre, it's been a while."

Her lips fall open, a soft gasp escapes her throat, and her emeralds flee from her reflection to see red, red, red. It's a familiar shade accompanied by sightless eyes and an ivory crown. Her brow raises, her lips never find their way back together again, for she felt as if she had seen a ghost. "Roux," she whispered breathlessly into the moonlight, closing the space between them to attempt to tentatively touch his muzzle in greeting.

"It's been a while," She laughed, pulling back and doing her best to bury her depressive state below the surface, to smile and sing like she always had. Altair nipped at her mane, grunting and tilting his crown up, practically demanding attention, for he didn't know the red man. "My companion's name is Altair, and he's very pleased to meet you," Frost smiled, tugging her mane back from the lips of the cerndyr. Her companion nodded, grunting a greeting to the stallion, and peering curiously at the bird upon his back.

With her companion's need for attention soothed, her thoughts went back to Roux, and what had become of the boy she once knew. "How've you been? Where did you go?" She spoke hastily, her lyrics light and eager, emeralds captivated by his red, shining in their pool of starlight.

@Roux <33

image || table
Dawn is coming
open your eyes

She didn't move much, either my approach hadn't been as originally unannounced as I had planned...or Edison was right and the girl was quite sad. A single ear flicked back to listen as I drew closer but other than the rise and fall of her rib cage Frost Fyre didn't move a single muscle in reaction to her and her bonded no longer being alone. "She's sad idiot." Edison screeched in my head once more as he peered around my neck to look at the duo, clearly he was a bit more observant than I because I would have just figured she was dozing off, or deep in concentration. It wasn't until I interrupted the silence that the mare seemed to care about my presence. A soft gasp fled from her parted lips as she turned to face me.

Emeralds widened almost comically as her jaw dropped ever so slightly as if she was looking at a ghost. Although with all the death in my lineage lately I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if my friend had thought me as dead as the rest of them. Swallowing a lump that was beginning to form in my throat I offered a gentle smile and my tarnished crown bobbed in a greeting, a low chuckle slipping forth when her breathy voice finally found her again. "Roux." She nearly whispered while moving in closer to me, the moonlight glittered off of her eyes as she reached out to brush her muzzle against my own. I leaned into her touch, glad to have the scent and touch of someone familiar once again...it had been too long. "It's been a while." A chime like laugh rang forward, evoking memories of prancing through the snow with the spotted lady ass children, as she moved away from me once again. Part of me wanted to move back into her touch, craving the memories of simpler times, but the movement would seem to intimate between friends who hadn't seen each other in so long.

Not to mention it seemed as if her stag demanded more attention than I would have asked for at this time anyway, he gripped her mane with his inky mouth, tugging gently until she pulled her emerald gaze away from me to look at him. "My companion's name is Altair, and he's very pleased to meet you," a smile pulled across my features as I turned sightless eyes towards the stag and nodded in greeting again. "It's a pleasure Altair. This, is Edison." While speaking I turned slightly so the grumpy red bird was in full sight before turning back to face the bonded pair. "It's wonderful to see you again Frost." Moon eyes settled upon her two toned form once again, memories of a slight childhood crush came forth but I pushed those back, we were nearly strangers to each other now. Plus, she surely had a man back home waiting on her return. Probably worried sick that she was gone at this time of night.

"How've you been? Where did you go?" A deep chuckle slipped out as I shook my head slightly. Where hadn't I gone? I traveled the lands of Helovia in search of my brother and when the search went poorly I just...hid. Clearing my throat I pondered quickly over the best way to handle this situation. "I had been searching for Sacre, only to find out he had left...and that he is a member of the Edge now. So, that is my next stop. I've been....better, but things seem to be looking up a little now." My gaze pulled away for a second, looking instead at the moon reflecting off of the creek we stood by, wondering where I would be if I hadn't ran into Mauja in the Steppe. Would I be back in the Basin, struggling to walk in my father's footsteps? Flicking my tail against my two toned hocks I flashed a quick smile in the mare's direction and allowed my vocal chords to vibrate into action once again. "How have you been? You've grown up, a lot, since the last time we've seen each other. Any little ones running around in the snow and ice?"

"Speech" text
ROUX & EDISON
couldn't say I love you,
so I became heartless.

image credits | @Frost Fyre | he's so awkward xD
Now waking to the sun
</style>
pixel by nikkayla

Frost Fyre
The maiden welcomed his touch, warm, familiar, and foreign all at the same time. Frost had to hold herself back from leaning in farther, from exploring how his body had aged. She shoved these thoughts away, of course, as doing such would be inappropriate. They weren't children anymore, they were strangers now, weren't they? (But isn't that what entices you about him, Frost? How far away he always was, and how close he is now? Don't you wish to know the feeling of his scars under your lips, take a dip in those silver pools, forget the rules?)

She abstained, and pulled her tiara away, hoping her long, batting lashes would hide how reluctant she had been to leave the warmth of his soft skin. She let her companion have the spotlight, smiling (desperately trying to hide your libido behind enticed emeralds). Altair grunted a greeting to the kite, ears pricked, captivated by the unfamiliar avian. The Haruspex offered a dip of her tiara to the kite before turning her emeralds back to the stallion.

"It's wonderful to see you again Frost." Oh, her cheeks felt hot. Wonderful, he said, wonderful. She had paid so little attention the red in her youth, for she had spent those days dreaming of a moon kissed colt, and paid little attention to his red half-brother. Roux was younger than herself, of course, which had contributed to her overlooking him, but seasons mattered so little as adults; they had to be the same age now.

Her emeralds left the red, flicking to the water, gleaming in the starlight, quietly reminiscing on her youth. She didn't remain that way for long, flicking her mossy gaze back to Roux, her ears pressed forward, yearning to hear of his life, praying he would say it was happy so she would have something to smile about.

Frost's chest fell a bit, aching quietly, for he sounded as if his life had been engulfed in lost times as well. But it was getting better, he said, he was going to find purpose, she assumed. She was similar in that perspective, lost, but finding her way. "I'm so happy for you," She offered quietly, her throat full of pleasant grief.

Her eyes brightened a bit as he continued to speak, smiling and shaking her head at his question. Little ones? No, she had none (she lacked any family at all). Memories of her knight Carnesir welled up in her throat, tasting sour and of hot remorse. She tried to not look disheartened, to hide the truth (hide, hide, hide, that's all you do).

"I've been well, I was promoted to Haruspex. It's a lonely way of life, I suppose, so no little ones," She laughed half-heartedly, her chime far duller than it had been before. Her eyes flicked to the ground, to their cloven hooves, opening her mouth, considering her words, mulling them over and tasting how they might feel falling from her lips. "What about you?" She gushed, her eyes flicking back up, glimmering as they found his, "Any little ones accompanying you to the Edge?" Say no, her heart whispered.

@Roux lmao frost is awkward too :")

image || table
Dawn is coming
open your eyes

I could feel the kite's irritation wane slightly as the stag grunted in what I could only assume was a greeting. Although he still didn't quite forgive me for adding more time onto our travels, Edison was growing used to my wandering rather than settling in one place like a normal creature. A shiver passed over my bloodied frame as I looked away from my company, moon eyes settling on the glittering water and then the way the moonlight hit the glass panes of the building that Edison had once explained to me were colored beautifully, stained by some kind of magic that created a sight I had told him to never show me. The idea of never being able to see something so stunning and magical through my own eyes was heart breaking.

It wasn't until the blanketed mare asked how life had been treating me that I focused monochromatic eyes back on her eyes that I knew to be a stunning shade of green that would put even the greenest of grass to shame. The words of loss, and what I hoped would soon be putting things back together fell unceremoniously from my ink stained lips forcing my gaze away from hers once again in feeble hopes that she wouldn't be able to see the pain of the realization that my family was gone. "I'm so happy for you." Her words spilled forth easily, beautifully, as everything else she did, drew my gaze back to her once more. Edison shifted on my back his sharp talons digging deeper into the muscle of my shoulders for a second before he took off for a better perch that wouldn't be moving quite as much as he complained that I did. Instead he sat happily in a low-hanging branch not far from where we stood.

I shoved the conversation onward, pressing a question of family into the space between us, hoping and praying that she wouldn't have someone waiting for her. But then I felt selfish for hoping that, and rather hoped that she was happy with wherever life had brought her in our time apart. "I've been well, I was promoted to Haruspex. It's a lonely way of life, I suppose, so no little ones," A sad chuckle slid forth as her sentence finished and I fought back the urge to reach out to comfort my childhood friend. "It's a shame such honor comes at such a great price..." "What about you? Any little ones accompanying you to the Edge?" The kite crowed with laughed over our mental bond and if he weren't so far away I would have shoved him off of my shoulder into the creek we stood beside. Although I couldn't disagree entirely with his amusement in the idea of me having children, that would mean being in the same place for more than a few minutes at a time. If there were any children with my blood running through their veins in the lands of Helovia they weren't my own. With how long it had been I couldn't be entirely sure if Sacre hadn't fathered children of his own.

One day I would have a family, I hoped. But for now I was alone, just me and my unhappy soulmate. A sad smile crept across my features as I shook my head gently from side to side. "No, I haven't been so lucky." I cleared my throat, swallowing the lump that was beginning to form before forcing a bright smile across my face and making my vocal chords dance once again. "Tell me, beautiful, how is life as a Haruspex? Other than lonely?" A small part of me wanted to ask if she would accompany me back to the Edge, but that time was not now. She had a high title, a purpose, and probably many suitors that she didn't even realize.

"Speech" text
ROUX & EDISON
couldn't say I love you,
so I became heartless.

image credits | @Frost Fyre | sorry this took me so long!
Now waking to the sun
</style>
pixel by nikkayla