the Rift

[PRIVATE] ain't gonna be that easy to leave - make you miss me

Ampere The Mother of Companions Posts: 719
Dragon's Throat Sultana atk: 9 | def: 11 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 hh :: 6 years HP: 73 | Buff: DANCE
Kygo :: Green Cheek Conure :: None Blu

Slowly drifting, drifting away, wave after wave

As if a stray piece of driftwood moving down the shoreline, Ampere wandered along the water's edge. Giving way beneath the weight of her hooves the sand moved about, carving out her unique trail, but instantly losing it among the smattering of other hoof prints and sea foam alike. Beside her the ocean breathed; a gentle roar heavy with salt and renewal. With its relentlessly gnawing teal maw and frothed fangs, nothing could endure the sea. There was a certain beauty to that, this notion of inevitable decay and change, however slow it may be, as the sand could surely attest to a lifetime. It made loss seem more acceptable.

The rhythmic movement and pulling and taking of the tide suggested tranquility and balance to Ampere, and the crisp air with its brine fragrance and curt winds was invigorating. It was a different feeling than that of the desert's coast; the heat and the dust and the herd changed the shore there, seemed to diminish it in her eye, where as this beach diminished her. She wanted to feel small today.

Behind her Iskra played in the black strands of her tail, its body alive in the marine breezes. The gulls were quiet today, sullen beneath the backdrop of gray sky that suggested an oncoming storm; it was still far off, not liable to hit until dusk, but the sky was heavy with it, like lead, and so the birds settled in early to wait it out. Even Kygo was tucked tightly away, the small parrot having perched on a shrub-tree several paces back, content to nap while the grief-driven mare tried to wear the sadness out of her. Helpful as he tried to be, he felt distance was best to give her, and such was the depth of her hurt that even the upbeat conure was persuaded to mourn daily.

Ampere stopped with her fetlocks tangled in the tide, head lifted tall into the wind. Her eyes shut against the sea spray as it whipped up against her cheeks, mixing with the wetness already present there until they were one and the same. As her heart ached, she let the sea carry it away, or at least hoped it would.

I wish I could make it easy, easy to love me
a M P E R E
Looking for the right words to say, feels like I'm drowning

equusamor.deviantart

@Mesec @Vesper @Virga
I thought considering we all want to thread with each other we could maybe kill 2 birds with a stone? If this thread gets too crazy different with the adult vs foal interaction we could maybe split the foals off into their own thread? IDK LETS ROLL WITH IT K.

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Iskra Posts: 79
Dragon's Throat Colt
Colt :: Pegasus :: 17 :: 1 year
Castiel :: Royal Humpback Leviathan :: Tidal Wave Blu

SPARKS WILL FLY, THEY IGNITE OUR BONES
WHEN THEY STRIKE, WE LIGHT UP THE
WORLD

They were adrift.

Among the sands, beyond the sea, brushing up against each other like debris tangled together. This had been his existence thus far, altered only by the occasional swell that rose within her, like a tempest that came with a fierce, but brief force. Her outbursts seemed to drain her further, and she dragged all the heavier afterwards.

As he aged by the day he became increasingly perceptive. This was not normal. At first it seemed likely, because what else had he known - how do you even define normal anyway, much less at the start? Arguably this was his normal, which is why he felt content, but he knew it wasn't the normal. Other foals around him seemed more prone to frolic, and why not, their mother, nay, their parents, encouraged it with their own vigor. Iskra however, clutched tightly to the morose shadow that was his dam, a darkness that not even his ever-present sparks and all the light they emitted could drive away.

Certainly there were times when his youth overwhelmed him and he sprinted off, bucking, squealing, rolling this body part and that one just because he could (or as the sand sometimes reminded him when he planted into it, could not). When he did she rarely responded - just occasionally flicking her dull gaze to him, rarely a lift of her head, and but once a hoarse whisper of his name along the breeze. He might have run off into death by now if not for his innate empathy; a beating heart he was born with like all the rest, but one that seemed to beat for others as much as for himself.

He was sad for her. Knowing her like this, understanding more and more that something was wrong, his heart went out to her all the more, and so he lingered and behaved as best he could. It wasn't too hard. Moms are nice after all. They're warm, and safe, and they're food. Sensibility alone drove him to stay next to her, but empathy kept him.

As she stopped he bumped against the back of her legs, marked face poking through the fronds of her tail to peer beneath her belly at the blue beast rolling before them. The ocean was nothing new, but this one was different, he noticed it at once. Curious, Iskra stepped forward, his strides slow and cautious, his knees jerking up high as he pranced among the moving lip of the sea. His bottle brush tail wagged energetically against his rump, and his wings fanned out for balance on either side of him, fire and lightning bits unfurling from beneath and rolling up and around his primaries, seemingly chasing each other before falling off the edge of his feathers and winking out of existence.
I S K R A

Virga Posts: 42
Absent Abyss
Colt :: Tribrid :: Growing :: yearling
kae
this town is only gonna get worse

Strangers on the beach. You watch them from afar, exploration of the dunes interrupted by their stark outlines: dark now against the sand, still against the wanton movement of the tide. Up on the sand, you're dark as well: a bit of the night sky divorced from its heavenly body, lost to dwell upon the earth and to diminish, and — well. You're getting a bit morbid, aren't you? Old enough to know the world is big, old enough to know loss and love, you hang somewhere between too weak to act on your impulses and too old to let them go. Your chest aches with a nameless wanting, a thing with teeth, a thing stirring at the sight of them down near the waves.

You don't know them. Your eyes crawl along the edges of their wings with silent hunger. Your own wings, still tufted here and there with baby fluff, flex against your shoulders. And you're already walking, already picking your way toward the surf and the strangers. One of them is small, like you. You haven't much luck in befriending other foals, but —

Well, the folly of youth still begs you try.

Unfortunately, the folly of youth doesn't give you instructions. You wander down toward the water as if it calls you, and not the strangers, but one black eye watches the mare first (more dangerous) and the boy second (more interesting) with an almost frightening intensity. Oh, what would you say, if you could say anything? Searching your head comes up with nothing. If you turn to look at the gulls instead, or the horizon, you feel vulnerable. So you turn toward the boy, your delicate face tilted and your swan's neck arched, and everything about you strange and angular and that weird lanky-sharp of adolescence. To your eye, the strangers are beautiful. The light springing around the boy's wings makes your own flex again, lonely in their darkness, and oh, what you would give for a moment to be them.

You aren't.

Sheer force of will opens your mouth. Your eyes are on the wavelets and the boy's legs when you speak at last, the words grinding out past a thick and clumsy tongue. "I'm Virga." That's good, right? That's how you say hello? Your tail flicks from one hip to the other, a vague admission of discomfort as sea foam cups your ankles and you feel, at once, too small and too old.

VIRGA
full image

Mesec the Nightwind Posts: 476
World's Edge Glazier atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 16.3hh :: 7 years old HP: 76 | Buff: NOVICE
Lucius :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Lyra :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams Sarah
“Come on, let’s find your brother.”

He whickered to Vesper, following the trail of small hoof prints in the sand as they lead toward the sound of the ocean. Everything was grey today - the ocean and the sky murky with their absence of colour - and the air was heavy with the promise of a storm later. He didn’t want to be caught out in the open with the two foals when it struck.

Cresting a dune, Mesec looked down the beach expecting to see the black form of his son exploring. His breath caught at what he was greeted with instead - the same instant that a groan of annoyance escaped from Lucius. There was not just young Virga, but a painfully familiar blue and black mare standing in the shallows and a colt by her side.

Even at a distance, it wasn’t difficult to guess who the colt’s father was.

And it hurt, recognizing Gaucho in the foal, but Mesec was easily comforted by the idea that their family was still intact. Zero had been taken in by his parents, their family would continue to grow and function in a strong and healthy manner. He could convince himself that it was right that Ampere and Gaucho were still together and that things were better now that Mesec was not a part of their lives.

But though, in a distant way, he was happy for his friends he still did not want to move any closer to her. Mesec was painfully aware that the last handful of times he had been in the company of Ampere’s family he had caused disaster. Actual disaster - there was no more accurate word to describe what had happened between him and Zero in the Blood Falls, or what had happened with the entire family in the Thistle Meadow. Time after time he brought nothing but pain to her and her kin. Although his magic was under control now, he could not help but wonder if it would still be the same. Perhaps he was destined to bring her disaster in one form or another.

She’d kill him if she knew what he did to Zero.

And if it weren’t for his son and daughter, Mesec might ask her to.

He absolutely did not want to go over but hiding and waiting for Virga to leave the company he had found was a little too cowardly. Before Lucius could talk him out of it, his leaden legs were moving and he was approaching the trio - checking over his shoulder once to see whether Vesper followed him. But he didn't doubt the filly's interest in meeting new faces would see her hurrying along in a moment.

Much like his son, once Mesec was there he had no idea what to say. Where to even start? The only thing heavier than the weight of his legs as he forced himself over here was the weight of his tongue. Obviously a lot had happened since the last time he had seen Ampere. He made no move to approach her directly but instead drifted toward Virga, nudging the colt in greeting as his gaze flickered over them all before finally settling on her.

The two words he finally managed to say were quiet and cautious but at least they were a start. “Hello Ampere.”

while the rain water washes away who you are
we'll go over the mountains and under the stars
please tag Mesec in replies
non-life threatening force is allowed at all times

In a different time, a better time, Ampere would have humored her son and splashed in the tide with him. She would have enticed him into a game of tag, playfully nipping at him, just out of reach until she'd finally let him 'catch' her and dissolve the whole chase into a swimming session and laughter. That would have been a time when her heart was whole, when she could carry enough love for the living wildfire of a stallion and all his children, but that time was not now, and so the only thing she provided her child was neglect.

So it should be no surprise that the second child elicited little more than a blinking of her lashes as she turned towards the small, new voice. The moisture caught in the dark fringes blurred her vision, causing the shadowy figure to dance beside her son. He was of little consequence, so she resumed the game of ignoring. Not even a single stray thought about his mother's whereabouts or his general well being wafted across her consciousness. If she couldn't gather enough crumbs to tend to her own progeny, she certainly didn't have the strength to dote upon others - but she would have, once.

The sound of sand being pushed aside beneath hooves was the first indication of his approach. The second was the gradual lifting of her feathers from their slack relaxation to the very tips of their reach. Her nostrils flared, then quivered as she drew him in, while his presence stole across her like the winter winds. When he spoke, her flesh shivered, rippling like black water as she curled away from him, bowing like a branch to the stiff breeze. With her name, he begged her eye, and stiffly she cast him a single one from the edge of her face, neatly tucked against her shoulder, wet mane and forelock scattered across with her inescapable wildness.

"Bold of you to travel with children, Mesec," she said in sharp, though quiet and rough response, as though she hadn't spoken in a while and her throat was unaccustomed to it. Her stare, though originally directed at him, caught sight of the filly near him. There was no doubt in that moment whom the colt belonged to then either.

They looked like him, she noticed, and for some reason that hurt. It was surprising she could still recognize a new wound given the constant ache that churned inside of her, and even more alarming that he could manage to inflict them still. Hadn't she buried him beyond Helovia, when she spent those days and nights tangled in madness and despair? Hadn't she moved on and burned him from her being with the Wildfire's blaze?

Or was that it - was she cast back into the darkness, now that the embers had grown cold? Was she so fucked up that she could only ever love those whom would hurt her? At what point would the self betrayal ever stop?

Anger sparked inside of her, striking off some bone that wasn't waterlogged with grief. "Given your history," she snarled, attempting to hurt him, wanting to drag him into this pain too because that was certainly easier than admitting she still wanted him.

It was easier than realizing he didn't want her any more - not if he had two little shadows in tow, belonging to some other mare's cunt.

Was she so forsaken, that she lost both her sun and her moon?
Seemed so.

[welp this didn't turn out as planned. fml Ampere you're such a bitch I hate you :| ]

a M P E R E

equusamor.deviantart

Dragon's Throat Colt

WORLD

As absorbed in his self-made game of chasing the surf as he was, Iskra hadn't noticed the small colt sneak up on him until he spoke. The sound, so unexpected, so unlike his mother's (and therefore, someone else's), startled him straight up into the air, legs all splayed out and feathers puffed out on end like a frightened cat. He landed with a splash and a snort, which soon dissolved into a grin when he noticed it was just another foal and not a scary sea monster after all.

"HI!" Iskra greeted gleefully as he stepped closer to the boy, his nose outstretched with curiosity. "I'm really glad yur nawt a monstar tryin ta eat me!" He laughed, at himself mostly. "I'm Iskra," he returned at last, the giggles subsiding back to a wide-mouthed grin and a shake of his head that set his short mane toppling back and forth across his neck like a dark tide.

"Wow, you gotta horn AN wings!?" Iskra marveled, stepping forward without reservation to inspect the child further. "That's really neat! I've only seen one other like that, must be really speshul!" He nodded his head in confirmation of his lore.

"Anyway, I was lookin fer fish to play tag with, wanna help?" His tail wagged with poorly contained anticipation, a look which broke suddenly as a strange arrived and his mother moved defensively. Because she was closer to the apparent danger (based on her reactions), Iskra didn't immediately move to duck under her, but he did sidle closer towards Virga, wanting to press up against him, finding comfort in that warm contact of another beside him. "Who's that?" he whispered worriedly. Then what he didn't ask, why doesn't mom like him?"
I S K R A

Vesper Posts: 46
World's Edge Filly
Filly :: Tribrid :: 14.3hh :: Two
Everly :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Kiki

"I HEAR THE SECRETS THAT YOU KEEP WHEN YOU'RE TALKING IN YOUR SLEEP."

I bounded after Papa as we went in search of Virga, who’d already made his way out to the beach.  Everly and I had been exploring a particularly large shell, but after determining that it was empty it had lost the zephyr’s interest and she took off after Lucius.  I did my best to follow in Papa’s hoofprints and it was easy to see where Virga had made his way out onto the shore.  The air today was heavy, but I thought the ocean was an interesting place.  After living in the mountains, I’d never imagined that water could be so big. The ocean was strange. It was so loud, but strangely soothing all at the same time.  However, today the waves seemed agitated as if something was brewing far out beyond the horizon. 

Virga wasn’t alone on the beach. There was a mare there, and a boy too, both dressed in blues and in feathers unlike anything that I’d ever seen before.  The boy seemed nice enough, and was talking to Virga and I got the impression that Papa knew the mare so I saw no reason not to approach the pair.  But then the mare spoke and my little ears pricked and my legs froze in the sand as if they were encased in ice.

Unaware that this was likely an adult conversation, I couldn’t force my legs to move me any further down the shore.  I had been paralyzed mid step by the casual words, more effectively than if I’d been hit by an electric current.  My silver eyes widened as I tried to process the mare’s words. Mother was away...father was all we had until she returned. If he left...then Virga and I would be alone.

I’d never been alone before. 
Not ever. 

Fear thrummed through my veins and burned my insides like fire and a little gasp left my dark lips. “But...why wouldn’t he travel with us?” I asked, seemingly unaware that the words were falling from my lips at all. “Then we would be all alone…”  The words were hollow.  The fear was evident. The concern was painted all over my face.  I looked up at the mare, confusion painting my features.  “Why would Papa leave us?” I asked, the panic growing in my chest.  My heart thundered against my ribs, threatening to escape from my chest and fly away somewhere safer.   

A twinge of panic fluttered through me at the thought.

Everly, sensing my concern, flew a low pass over the gathering while emitting a particularly loud squawk of warning before circling back and chirping to Lucius >Dangerous?< because she was concerned about the reaction that this mare had stirred from her bonded. It was clear to the young zephyr that this was not Mesec and Lucius’ first encounter with the mare.  I hardly even noticed Everly’s discontent as the panic began to abate and reason began to flood back through my bloodstream.  Because regardless of what this mare said I knew that Papa would never leave me and Virga. Not if it was up to him. I knew it in my very bones.  I took a deep breath and composed myself, looking first to Virga and then to Papa and finally to the blue mare that he’d called Ampere.  

So I picked myself up to my full height and did my best to compose myself, pulling my wings tight against my sides and holding my head high. “You’re wrong you know. Papa would never leave us. You don’t just leave people you love.” I managed, with every ounce of confidence in my tiny body.  I then turned to join Virga and his new friend down at the shoreline letting out the breath that I didn’t know that I was holding with each step. 

Finally, finally I make it to Virga because those ten steps felt like an eternity and I press myself against his side, hoping that just his warmth could make all of the emotions that just tore me apart disappear into nothing.  But instead I turn to the colt he’d been talking to and offer him a small smile.  “Hi! I’m Vesper. Can I play with you too?”

V E S P E R

image credit

Please tag Vesper in every post.
Force and magic are permitted, but please check before inflicting serious injury.

image credit

Virga Posts: 42
Absent Abyss
Colt :: Tribrid :: Growing :: yearling
kae
this town is only gonna get worse

The boy's as light as the sparks dancing around his wings. Looking at him, you feel a little heavier — a little darker. His voice is so loud and thin, so childish, you wonder if you ever sounded like that. But no, Virga — some instinct closed your mouth until your mind learned dignity, didn't it? You snort an almost laugh to answer the boy's childish enthusiasm, and something brilliant, something lively, glitters in the blackness of your eyes. "A monster?" Now, here's a chance for you to look really cool. This kid's undoubtedly younger than you, a phenomenon you've so far been too small yourself to encounter. It's sort of dizzying, in a way. "I eat monsters," you lie, and your voice is a little too intense for it to be a joke, but a moment later the boy's talking about fishes, and it's okay, really — you're socializing, you feel good about this, even if chasing tiny animals about in the water is about as boring a game as things get —

You don't notice your father, at first.

Well, maybe you notice him, but by now his presence is like the sky, like the earth underfoot. It's a constant; it's unremarkable. Your attention only shifts away from Iskra when he's close enough to brush a wing over your back, and something warm as milk but better, bigger, spills through your heart and tells you, you belong here. The good feeling buoys significantly when you notice Vesper trots along beside your father, and immediately your ears come up, joy scrawling itself again and again across your face. "Vesper!" Oh, she can play with Iskra, too! You can all chase each other together, maybe, instead of the fishes!

But then —

But then something is happening.

Too many things, actually. The mare, the one you pegged first off as a potential threat, moves in a way that would remind you of a snake if you'd seen snakes. It would remind you of a storm if you knew to fear storms. The words she says aren't mean, exactly, but something in her voice makes them mean. All over, your body stiffens as if it leans into a gale, and you're staring at her — you can't stop staring. Frowning. Waiting for your father to tell her to shut up, to never talk to him again like that, because it's stupid, it's disrespectful — and Vesper hates it, too. You hear the disquiet in her voice, her brave piping voice, because she speaks up before you as instinct roils around reason in your brain, trying to puzzle out what this even is (you were making a friend; you were having fun).

You move up as Vesper moves down to you, one wing opening protectively as if to shield her, to pull her close to your side, and your young features are all smooth lines, all still and aggravated, and you want the moment to pass but you also want to do something, something with the thunder in your chest, the smell of potential in the air. "Who is she?" you say at last, and that's all you say. It's not quite coincidence that your words echo Iskra's, except the sentiment is harder in your voice, angrier, almost an accusation.

A part of you just wants to go back to the game, to the other foals, but you can't look away from the mare, from your father, until Mesec does something. Until the situation is over. You're too small, too young, to help in any significant way, and yet there's a part of you, half-grown and fractious, that sinks its teeth into the ghost of a word (fight) and refuses to let go.

VIRGA
full image

@Mesec, I think?

Ampere’s sharp words bit into him, causing him to flinch, but though they were at such odds with the last words they had shared - or his hazy memory of that meeting by the Blood Falls - he wasn’t surprised. This was the reaction to him Mesec had always expected. This was how she should respond to him, the monster who had attacked her family.

She shouldn’t have spun lies about how they were family. Lies that were once born with a glimmer of truth but now were utterly hopeless. There was no chance at rebuilding once they had once held for such a short amount of time - it felt that now as a solid weight in his stomach.

But more than that, more than the realization of what was lost between him and Ampere, he was suddenly aware of Virga standing near Ampere’s son and suddenly afraid that in her fury, she might hurt his son for what he had done to hers. After all, could her venom really be just based on what had happened with her twin daughters or did she know what he had done to Zero as well?

So he kept his silver gaze trained on her, willing himself not to call Virga back to him - hoping that there would be few other venomous words shared and that the foals could play and stay separate.

How little she must think of him, to believe he would place his children - any children - willingly in his presence if there was still a danger? He couldn’t blame her for her anger, it was what he had expected after the tussle with Gaucho in the Thistle Meadow. The night when, apparently, Ampere had disappeared - a fact Mesec had only learned a short time ago from Zero.

As always, the thoughts of that lightning colt were punctuated by the sounds of his screams, by the look of absolute terror in his eyes.

Before he could respond, Vesper was there - the panic and fear in her voice enough to rip Mesec’s attention away from Ampere without hesitation. “Shh, it’s okay. I will never leave you two alone.” He feared it was a lie even as he said it but he couldn’t believe the panic that rose in him at the sound of his daughter’s fear. He would do anything to soothe that away from her.

Lucius, from his perch on Mesec’s back, was bristling - his feathers starting to puff up in anger as he wished his fourth wing wasn’t broken so he could fly over and scratch Ampere’s stupid eyes out. He was distracted momentarily by the call from Everly. >Yes. Blue Bitch very dangerous the zephyr chirped back without hesitation (or as close as he could get to that phrase with their language), wanting to spread the word and have Everly on alert for when something happened, because something always ended up happening when the blue bitch was around.

But then Vesper, brave sweet Vesper, was speaking again - declaring that Mesec would never leave them because he loved them. And he couldn’t help but smile as he watched her trot away to join the the foals, as Virga moved to greet her and pull her close to his side. How could two such incredible foals possibly be related to him? They were as utterly perfect as he was flawed.

Reluctantly now, Mesec turned his gaze from the playful foals and back to the spiteful mare - his once friend, someone he had loved. But those stormy nights and chases were lifetimes away now. If Vesper could be brave, so could he. So despite the fact that Ampere had every right to hate him, to be angry, to hurt him, Mesec didn’t back down. Ampere could carve her pound of flesh from his hide for his crimes one day, but not in front of his children.

He straightened up and did not mutter his response to her as he might have done once but spoke it as calmly and clearly as he could. “I’m… it’s under control now. I wouldn’t be with them if it wasn’t.”

She wanted to see him hurt, wanted him to writhe beneath her the way she had for seasons after her encounter with him. She wanted him to feel that agony that she felt when she was without her family, then that regret when she returned and had to beg for their forgiveness. She wanted him to feel that empty, awful loss that Gaucho had left behind in her being, that same one that was echoing in Mesec's presence as she regarded his two offspring.

She wanted all of that, but more than anything, she wanted him to come closer. Wanted him to tell her it'd be alright like he always had. From that first moment they met, when the world was spinning into darkness faster than you could blink, to that lost night on the beach when they finally broke through the years of affection and he reached in and rescued her from herself, he had always been this magnificent savior.

That's why it hurt so much when he stopped being a knight and just became the night. She had become terrified of what he could do, and that's why she left; him and everyone else. It wasn't just the threat upon her kids, it wasn't just the tortured looks he threw her across the forest as he fought the inevitable change, it was also the distrust brewing inside of her because of all that. It was the gradual tarnishing of this sterling man, and that she wasn't strong enough to make him shine again, because she had never been the light. Between Gaucho's fire and Mesec's silver, they had brightened her, cast a glow upon her darkness and kept the shadows at bay.

What could she do for them?
Gaucho had died, and Mesec had... moved on.

She could see it; it was there, in place of the hurt she thought she wanted to see, in place of the love she wished she'd still see. Mesec was shining all on his own, and that light was reserved for his two children, because he shined brightest for them. It was evident int he doting, careful way he tended to the outspoken filly. Her words had brushed past Ampere, her focus too intent upon the Nightwind, but she saw him with the girl, and he was something different. This wasn't the Mesec she'd come to run from, and this wasn't the Mesec even before that one. This was something stronger than he'd ever had, something that had gone through hell and come back out the other side. Mesec had stopped being afraid of the darkness that surrounded him, and that acceptance let him shine all the brighter.

So Ampere waned.

She didn't get what she wanted out of him; didn't get his hurt, or his love, she got something different. She visibly softened, the angles of her defensive posture growing more curved, the sharpness of her gaze dulling like a worn blade. It had all been for show anyway, and that little flame she'd ignited was washed away in an instant by the sea of grief that she was sinking into. She blinked, then dropped her head as he spoke.

"I'm glad," she said softly after moments of silence. It was if her words had to churn through all the water inside her, finally spilling out tired and soggy. "Who's are they?" she asked softer still, as if she didn't really want him to hear, because she didn't really want to know.

Unable to really look at him any more her gaze, which had been steadily averting, now watched the children on her other side. A ghost of a smile found its way to her lips as her gaze traced the outline of his two foals, especially the brave little girl. The same girl that didn't want him to leave...

"We all leave you know," she murmured to the filly, but it was audible enough for Mesec to catch it too.
She wasn't being cruel now, she was just breaking.
"Just like he left," her voice grew thin and strained, barely making it past her lips with anything intelligible. A pause then, as Ampere drew in a shaky breath. "Because he died," she exhaled, a sob as much as a phrase.

a M P E R E

equusamor.deviantart

Dragon's Throat Colt

WORLD

"Whoa!" Iskra marveled at the monster-eating boy, who really was speshul. "What do they taste like?" Iskra asked with the same serious intensity that Virga had demonstrated. It didn't even cross Iskra's mind that he was being played, but it also didn't cross his mind that if it were true, he ought to be scared of the monster-eater. For now, in his young eagerness to explore the world and understand it, simply getting the chance to meet someone who ate monsters and ask them what they tasted like was enough; maybe when he actually encountered a monster, maybe when he actually felt that thrill of danger, not just the colt-sneaking-up-on-you kind, then his priority would be putting distance between himself instead of asking questions.

Iskra will never get to know then, because the conversation is swept away by that same eagerness of his, and then all of it is pressed into quiet as the Nightwind breaks across them, blowing Ampere into those hard lines that Iskra isn't familiar with.

There's a filly too, Iskra notices after he's asked who he is (which he never gets an answer to, but manages to figure out that it's dad for them the way-), "she's my mom." Iskra says steadily in response to Virga, that sense of comfort, of friendship, suddenly lost and cold as the colt moves away from him and instead slips his wing over his sibling. Iskra feels naked as he stands alone. He knows what it's like to have a brother and sisters, but it's not the same as them. They're twins, he recognizes, and that makes it a little special, because they'll grow up together. Iskra's sisters are like that, and they're basically the skeleton and skin for each other, making on being instead of two. Then there's his older brother, but that's just it, he old, and although he's plenty fun, he's gone a lot too doing adult things.

So that pretty much leaves Iskra with mom, except she's gone too, in her own way. She's around, but she's not present much.

So Iskra is used to standing alone, but it doesn't stop the shiver that runs along his coat, a reminder of the absence he's left with as Virga moves away; a reminder of the vulnerability he's wrapping around himself when dangerous things start to happen.
Still, Iskra find the ability to smile, finds something warm inside himself to dredge up, and he nods in response to the filly that joined them - the one that had the audacity to shout down at his mom (even if he liked the things she said, he still thought she was crazy for saying them like that). "Hi Vesper, I'm Iskra!" He's still bright, still cheery, but it's not that same easiness that came at first. He's got a wary eye on the colt now, the one that looks like he's too tight for his own skin, the one who's eyes got hard and voice got short.

If he eats monsters, and he thinks Ampere is a monster, does that mean he'd try and eat her?
Well, Iskra wasn't worried, but he didn't want the colt to get smooshed either. So he wants to distract the boy from doing something foolish, wants to keep this promise of friendship and happiness that he's often without, so he's happy to divert back to the game.

"We were gonna chase some fish, want to help?"
I S K R A

Vesper Posts: 46
World's Edge Filly
Filly :: Tribrid :: 14.3hh :: Two
Everly :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Kiki

"I HEAR THE SECRETS THAT YOU KEEP WHEN YOU'RE TALKING IN YOUR SLEEP."

One breath. Then another. 
In. Then out. 
Repeat.

It was always easier when Virga was there. Everything. Even breathing. For so long all I’d had was the matching thrum of his heartbeat, thundering along in rhythm with my own.  For as long as I could remember and even before that it’d been there, hammering out its comforting rhythm - and it was still soothing even now. With each and every heartbeat the steady comfort of having him close seemed to extinguish the tumult of emotions that had just exploded in my head and from my lips.  It wasn’t something I was used to either - that panic. That fear.  

It was exhausting. 
I didn’t like it...or the aftereffects.

But the storm had passed and it seemed like the grey clouds that hung before my eyes were starting to clear.  But I could still feel the electricity in the air, threatening to scald me from the inside out.  But I was okay. Papa had soothed the burn with his words; Virga had chased away the hurt with his touch.  I was safe.

I didn’t understand this stranger. I didn’t understand her sharp words and the expression in her eyes. Maybe that’s what had scared me the most, what had sent the words spewing from my lips entirely unhibited...the unknown and the need to compensate for that.  But the expression she wore now? That was something that I could comprehend. For a moment I was horrified that I had put that expression on her face, but her fleeting words were enough for for me to understand.  Part of me wanted to go back, to try to understand what had happened - what was still happening.  But some part of me recognized that this was an adult conversation now, and I was in a much better place now standing here with my brother and his new friend and allowing things to unfold as they will.  Papa did know Ampere, after all, I was certain of that.  

I took another deep breath and whisper, “Thank you,” to Virga.  My silver tipped ears swiveled forward as Iskra explained the game that I’d interrupted and I found my head bobbing automatically. My legs started moving and I drifted towards the gentle curl of the waves washing against the shore.  I feel the warmth of Virga’s wing drop away from the plane of my back and shivered at the sensation of being exposed. In the very same moment my mind is still unraveling what had just happened and I’m torn between wanting to run and play and forget...and the need to help.  So I turned just before the waves crashed over my spindly fetlocks and looked back at Iskra. 

“Iskra, your mama seems...sad?”  It wasn’t really a question, it was more of a request for validation for what my eyes were clearly telling me.  I didn’t want to assume that his mama was sad all of the time, or insult this boy I’d only just met by somehow questioning his mother’s emotional stability, because that wasn’t my intention at all.  My intentions, unlike some (most?) in Helovia, were entirely pure. 

“Do you think maybe after we chase all the fish away we can all look for some sea shells and sea glass and make her a present, like a necklace or something?”  The words came out quietly, but I hoped they didn’t seem foolish.  “Maybe that would make her happy?” I offered, ever hopeful that there was something I could do, however small, to affect the course of this mare’s day - this mare who I only know as Ampere - Iskra’s mother.  “I’m sure that Everly could help us put it together…” my words drifted off as my gaze drifted skyward, and the little zephyr let out two chirps of agreement from where she was circling above.  The zephyr was torn about helping the mare whom Lucius had warned her about, but didn’t see the harm about presenting the “Blue Bitch” a peace offering. 

V E S P E R

image credit

Please tag Vesper in every post.
Force and magic are permitted, but please check before inflicting serious injury.

image credit

The question about who’s kids they were was spoken so quietly, Mesec only just caught it... and then he pretended that he hadn’t heard it. Did it matter? Did she even really want to know? They were his - he had known right away as soon as he saw them and he knew that it was obvious to anyone that saw them. A small smile spread as he saw Virga drape his wing across Vesper's back, a physical display of of their link.

Would Ampere even care about who their mother was? He let the question fade away, thoughts of the star mare swarming his mind as he followed her gaze over to the foals - his and hers.  Not shared, as he once wished for - that echo of that dream family still lingering in his mind, but separate. Hers, presumably with Gaucho, and his, with Ki’irha. While he and Gaucho were literally night and day, he couldn’t even say how different or similar Ki’irha and Ampere were - he did not know the mother of his children well enough to even say.

Perhaps that was why he really didn’t answer her question about who their parents were. It was embarrassing and he had already had that talk with his mother, he did not want to have it again with anyone else - especially Ampere. She made him feel like a coward - always too afraid to move, to say what he was really thinking.

When she spoke again, his silver gaze drifted over to her - his face clouding in a frown at her comment about how they all leave.

But the next words out of her absolutely stopped him cold.

“Died?” He repeated the word but it was barely even louder than his breathing. “Who…” His voice cracked with that single syllable, fear rising in his throat and tasting like bile. When he started to speak again his voice was faint but this was a question that needed to be answered.

Because thoughts of Zero, bloodied and beaten and torn by his teeth and claws, were blinding him. His mother had told him that he would live but what if she had lied?

Who is dead, Ampere?” He took a tentative step toward her, that sob of hers pulling at his heart, but it was only one step - enough, he hoped, to draw her attention back to him. Now that she was not spitting poison at him it was easier to stay in her presence but there was still a void between them and he did not know what it would take to cross it.

@Ampere <3

That they were his was very apparent. She had known the first moment she looked at them; if she'd doubted, she'd known the first moment she looked at him. So his gesture of sliding a wing across his child only confirmed what was already known - what wasn't known was who the mother was, but just as much as Ampere didn't actually want to learn it, so Mesec seemed reluctant to tell it. Did he fear her anger, she wondered faintly, unable to think of any other reason he might keep their mother a secret.

Or is she dead? Ampere couldn't help but notice the mare was not here.
Though, these children didn't much seem touched by loss yet. Then again, neither did Iskra, and he had been.

It didn't matter after all, though.
It never had and it certainly didn't now as Ampere began to sink, choking on her grief. Like water it rushed into all parts of her, filling her, weighing her down and pushing out anything and everyone else. She was surrounded by it on all sides, a murkiness that washed across her eyes until the horses around her were but dim shapes, flitting about like fish in a lake; her hair the seaweed dancing in the motion of their fins.

No one could quite seem to understand it either. It's as if they looked at her and wondered she she didn't just swim.
Didn't they know? She had become the water, after all this time.

"H-he," she continued as her lungs rattled some air in, the sensation whooshing past all the water, keeping her alive just enough to suffer longer. "G-g-g" like bile in the back of her throat the word was coming up, but she was trying to keep it down. Gasping, shaking, until finally collapsing with the weight of the name she hadn't spoken for weeks.

"Gaucho."

Her knees leaned her towards the ground as Ampere crashed into a kneel, her head slung carelessly against the terrain with a wide-eyed stare of horror that looked but didn't see. Sweat pooled in the edges of her features, an anxious response to finally letting this small part of him go; his name upon her lips. Mare air seemed to get into her lungs as she pushed that word out, and although she wasn't anywhere near the surface, it was a start.

"Gaucho is dead" she whispered fiercely, the grasses swaying with the force of her breath.

It was real now.
Part of her thought if she just never said it, if she just held onto it long enough inside of her, then maybe something could change. Maybe he'd come back, maybe he'd visit her in some way, maybe he'd be reborn and she could watch him renew. Such thoughts had her wondering about Sohalia's daughter again, the one that said she saw his spirit. Desperately Ampere wanted to hold onto that belief, that Gaucho was still present int he world in some small manner, yet she couldn't help but feeling like he was utterly and completely gone. A cold corpse that burned only one more time as his hide was reduced to ash.

She'd wanted a phoenix, but he'd only ever been a Wildfire after all.

a M P E R E

equusamor.deviantart

Dragon's Throat Colt

WORLD

His body is stiff. His expression is frozen, the smile he's fitted onto it like carved stone, well practiced, and usually honest. It's not now though, not as he hears the words of the adults breaking behind him like waves on the coast, cold and powerful and so eager to sweep you away. Yet still he smiles, attempts to be lighthearted, his eyes nearly screaming for it to be true. Let's just play a game and forget, let's just pretend we're happy and everything is fine, because if he lets himself succumb to the sadness the way his mother has, then he's not sure he'll ever be able to survive again.

You see, he has to be carefree enough to float, or else she'll drag him down in there with her, and he's terrified of that.

"Yea," he saw in an almost dismissive response to Vesper, a verbal shrug as his eyes skirt to look anywhere besides his damn that just crashed into the sand. The sound causes a flinch against his pelt however, and as if spooked, he scoots further away from her and towards the shoreline, intent on his hunt for fish even if the other foals won't assist. Just play some games, just play some games and then it'll all be better.

Just hide under the sheets, close your eyes, and the monsters will leave you alone and go away, right?

It's as if he didn't hear Vesper's other suggestion, but he has, and though he doesn't intend to ignore her he can't deal with it right now. A present certainly seems nice, and admittedly he hasn't tried that yet, but he's been shunned by her before so right now he's coping the only way he knows how. "You better run!" he calls out, overly joyous and zealous as he splashes towards a scaled fiend.
I S K R A

It wasn’t the name he feared but it was one that still hit the demigod hard when he heard it. Shock was the first emotion to hit Mesec - muddled with relief that it had not been Zero’s name that she spoke but that relief quickly gave way to sadness. The idea that Gaucho was no longer in the Throat… it was something that was difficult to process. Ever since Mesec had first followed his heart there - after the murders - he had respected the Wildfire. Gaucho had been someone of strength and kindness, it hadn’t been hard to figure out why Ampere had loved him so much, why she chose time and time again to have a family with him instead of Mesec. He was a demi-god, sure, but he was a coward too - and had achieved nothing so far in his life.

Nothing but hurting those he loved.

Nothing but the two foals further down the beach, playing with what he suspected was one of Gaucho’s last - if not the very last.

Though his mind briefly wandered, feeling the heaviness of grief and guilt over things that could not be changed, it swiftly returned to the present when Ampere crashed to the sand before him, kneeling, grieving. Whatever sadness Mesec felt at the passing of Gaucho it was nothing compared to what Ampere must be feeling. He could not recall ever feeling a loss such as this.

Whatever might happen between them, whatever they were to each other, Mesec instincts told him he would always be her friend. Her sadness would always draw him in like a moth to the flame. It was even likely he would meet the same fate as that moth but that did not matter if he could comfort her in the meantime.

“I’m so sorry.” As he spoke the words his hooves unstuck from the sand and he bridged that gap between them with a few slow steps - his head lowering so that, if she would allow him, his muzzle might find her neck and offer her what little consolation he could.

@Ampere

Sorry.

She felt he meant it, believed him when he said it, but it didn't change anything, not really. Besides, what was he even sorry for? Sorry that Gaucho, a great stallion and Sultan had passed? Sorry that she felt the sting of that loss? Sorry that he did not know, that he was not there, that all of this shit piled up between them?

What was the point of sorry if it still hurt afterwards?
By the gods, what was the point of anything any more?

Somewhere amid the chaos she was tumbling into she was aware of his hooves scuffing down the sand as he carried himself closer to her, closing whatever divide lay between them, even if only for this one day. His touch came with such hesitation she could feel his breath before the velvet of his maw embraced the folds of her neck. Each exhale was a pulse of warmth against the cold she stoked within, a gentle reminder of the life still unfolding around her even as she clutched singularly onto the death.
It had always been like that, her chasing the dark, him the little bit of silver shining through, promising something better.

Except, what do you do when the better always slips away? What do you do if that little shine isn't around? Because as much as Ampere appreciated that touch, as much as she melted under that warmth and wanted to hold onto that reminder he offered, she also couldn't ignore the gap that had just been, the caution that had filled it with a terrible slowness as he approached. She felt a prickling feeling wash all across her body, as if it was a ghost who touched her now and not just the Nightwind.

Was this going to be goodbye, their final embrace, or was it just the unsteady reunion or something they'd both lost?

Ampere had no answer, and for a while was only able to continue pressing herself into the sand and mourning. At some point it stopped being just Gaucho she was sobbing over, like he was a catalyst to tumble all the strength she had built out of matchsticks over the years, burning it up in a final, single blaze. Eventually though, sooner than it may have seemed to her as the time slogged through all the grief, Ampere quieted under Mesec's watch. She still stayed curled up on the ground, her legs starting to go numb, but that sensation was nothing new these days.

"Why's it all got to go to shit Mesec?" she asked softly, her tone casual as if they could just talk again, as if this wasn't something broken that she was playing pretend with. She didn't look at him, maybe it would ruin the illusion, so instead she stared off into the distance of the beach. "Why do I feel like I'm always chasing something I'll never catch? Happiness shouldn't be this hard," the way she talked was comfortable, because Mesec was comfortable, as long as she was playing pretend at least, as long as she went back to the Mesec that didn't have kids, to the Mesec that didn't become a warg (what was she back then? The same... broken and sobbing over the dark still?). Mesec was one of the very few, if not the only horse, she ever had completely honest conversations with. Whether that said more about him or about her wasn't ever clear.

"The sun always rises, the storm always ends... but then the sun sets again, and the weather always turns bad one season or another." The more she talked the more her voice took on a drawl, distant and heavy and worn out. "I'm tired of being sad."
She finally turned to look at him, the blue of her gaze dry but no less full of water. "I'm sure you are too," she muttered, then averted her stare, clearly ashamed. "I'm sorry I always do this too... just always a wreck aren't I?" she sighed, and it was bitter.

a M P E R E

equusamor.deviantart

@Mesec

Mesec waited with no ending to his patience, giving his friend what little consolation he could, waiting for her next movement. He wasn’t sure what it would be, until it happened - until her voice broke into the silence, soft but casual as if nothing had at all changed. And he wasn’t going to be the one to say that too much had changed for them to talk like this anymore, because he didn’t want that distance to be there. It just was and like so much in the demigod’s life, he didn’t know how to fight it.

He let her talk, not answering her questions right away - thinking them over in silence with his muzzle still lowered toward her and his silver eyes watching her even as she looked off down the beach. For a few moments, he was simply a presence near her - thinking that maybe it would just help her to have someone to talk to. With Gaucho gone… Mesec didn’t know of any other friends of Ampere’s - he assumed she had others in the Throat, perhaps Sohalia or Cera or Megaera.

It hurt too much to think of them, of the sun-warmed faces he had left behind, so his mind skirted over them and he focused back on Ampere. Which was, of course, not hard for him to do - it had always been all too easy for his entire focus to be given to the blue mare.

No, not his entire focus - not anymore. Even now, as much as he was with Ampere, his attention was partially on the foals as Lucius kept them updated on their games.

At her comment about how she was sure he was tired of being sad too, Mesec’s mouth twisted in a humourless smile. He nodded once, a quick acknowledgement that she was right, but was unable to find any words to say in response. Of course he was tired of being sad, it had been a dominant emotion in his mind for as long as he could remember. He had only just recently been better at balancing it out with the joy that had quite accidentally landed in his life in the form of two young foals. As if somehow being a good father to them erased his mistakes and hardships.

“No, you aren’t always a wreck. And you don’t have to apologize to me, Ampere.” He commented quietly, moving to nudge her softly once more as he spoke her name before pulling back again. He moved his head a little to try to catch her eyes once more as she averted her gaze - trying to not letting her turn away from this, from him. When he continued speaking, his voice was earnest, as though he could make her believe what he was going to say just by sheer force of will. He found familiarity and a strange sort of comfort in the ease at which he spoke with her in that moment.

Maybe, no matter what changed, they would always fall back to this.

“You spend so much time fighting for the sun to sun to rise, the storm to end, you’re not a wreck because you fall apart when things are really dark. You can't win against everything, Ampere, but I admire how you try. You’re one of the strongest horses I know.” His gaze softened as he whispered two more words. “Even now.”