the Rift

Dark and dusty, painted on the sky [meeting + herd quest]

God of the Earth Posts: 287
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: 22.0hh :: Ageless
Admin

He watched her with a growing smile; his daughter uncomfortably, but determinedly fitting into the role he had provided for her. He hadn't expected the transition to be easy for her, nothing worthwhile ever came from easy. She persevered however, like a butterfly emerging from its cocoon, its wings draped uselessly on either side while they dried - so Isopia was undergoing a great metamorphosis.

But why was she alone?

The God of the Earth had thought he'd made himself and his disappointments extremely clear the last time he visited them. Had Archibald taken that as an invitation to do even less? If nothing else the Earth thought the Dauntless would have had the capability of standing alongside her at the meeting, yet as the gathering grew and time wore on, there was not a single hair of Archibald or Loretta's to be seen. From his heavenly position the God of the Earth released an aggravated sigh, the mortal ground below trembling faintly, an almost imperceptible earthquake.

Even before Isopia called for him, he had decided to descend upon the herd, to once more pluck the dead weeds from his garden in the hopes that it would renew. It had so much potential to grow into something breathtaking, and yet year after year it repeatedly went to seed. He had thought they just needed time, and so he had waited while he watched. Then he considered that they needed re-planting, a better soil from which to sprout, so to speak, so int he wake of the dark destruction brought on by the wraiths he used that opportunity to drastically alter the herd land into the Hidden Falls it was today, which he thought had been a great improvement over the prior Foothills. Still he watched and waited, but his garden never came. So this last time he visited, he had finally decided he had been too soft, too lenient and forgiving, the river instead of the earth. He had hardened, and in no uncertain terms told them what he expected, what was needed in order to save themselves.

Yet here he was again, a horse rising from the rubble of the ground, the top soil crumbling and breaking away across his flesh as it first rose up with him then tumbled off his dusty hide back to the ground. The God of the Earth shook himself, a cloud of dust wafting off him and stirring int he air, drifting to settle upon those whom Isopia had appointed and imbue them with his gifts that would be theirs for as long as they could sustain the responsibility of the role and the loyalty to the herd.

He had appeared not beside his daughter, not before his herd, but in the back, beyond them, where one mare and a stallion were already retreating from a gathering that had just begun. Gently a vine reached out from its grasp on a nearby tree, its green hand extended towards Ranjiri's cheek where it offered a comforting touch, both in the physical aspect and the magical one - he wished to soothe her troubled being, though he would never expunge it from her. She needed to be allowed to grieve, but he needed her too. "Ranjiri," he said softly, his gaze snug upon her, though he glanced towards Brendan whom offered her companionship in this time. "The pain you are enduring is unimaginable, and deserves its time to be worn in solitude." He wanted to acknowledge her hurt, because he wasn't blinded to it, but he thought it would make her stronger. More than anything, he thought she would be the one most inclined to fight for something better in the herd, because though she had lost one love, she was still growing another. Mothers were their own forces of nature, and their love knew no end. She would be the perfect balance to Isopia's hard logic; a much better partner than the equally rough Archibald had been.

"This is a pain I feel daily when I watch this withering herd," he had begun to approach her slowly now, wings outstretched to lend her what comfort he could. "Please, you can help soothe this for me. You can create something better, for your child." He exhaled steadily, dust visible in his breaths as he leaned his maw towards the grieving widow. "Be my Czarina, Ranjiri."

[Will post again once Ranjiri responds]

God of the Earth
Image Credits

Ranjiri the GoldenShade Posts: 372
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 :: 5 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Mara :: Common Rougarou :: Shadow ali
Ranjiri
{
"Grief never ends, but it changes. Its a passage, not a place to stay. Grief is not a sign of weakness, nor a lack of faith. It is the price of love."

All I wanted was to be alone, but my retreat was stopped by Brendan, the man that had just been promoted to Earth Medic. I was sure that since he was in that position, albeit a new one for him, he was concerned. Surely my behavior wasn't what anyone would consider normal by any means. Even though I didn't want to I stopped and my head swung in his direction. "I'll be fine." I said softly, though at that moment I didn't believe that I ever would be."I'm just tired." Not a complete lie. "I just need to rest." I hoped that he would take my excuse for what it was and return to the meeting that was underway. 

"Congratulations on your promotion, you'll be great." I forced a faint smile, one that didn't reach my eyes but I was trying my hardest to appear to be okay. I turned, intent on continuing my retreat, but the soft, tender touch against my cheek had me frozen in place. The sound of my name spoken in a voice that I recognized had me turning slowly. Tears welled in my eyes, spilled over, and slowly made their way down my face as the God addressed my grief. "It hurts so much." I whispered.

I blinked, listening as the God of the Earth expressed his own pain and watching as he approached, his wings outstretched. My heart ached for him, knowing that he felt the same pain daily, and knowing that he could potentially feel the same pain for the rest of his immortal life. "I'm sorry." I murmured and I stepped forward slowly with the intention to embrace him the same way I had embraced Gaucho and Cera on numerous occasions before if he would allow me to. "But what can I do?" I was only one mare. One grieving mare.

"Be my Czarina, Ranjiri."

What?

I was sure that I looked thunderstruck by his request. Surely there were others far more qualified for that position than I was. I was just a crafter"What? Czarina? Me?" I finally spoke, unable to form complete sentences. I looked past the God, at the rest of the herd, at Isopia. Slowly, my gaze returned to the God of the Earth and I nodded my head. "Okay." I said, still shocked that he thought enough of me to request this of me. "I won't let you down." I hoped that I could live up to that promise.

I wasn't sure what to do next, but I'd been to enough meetings to assume that the correct thing to do was to stand next to Isopia. So I made my way through the crowd and took my position next to the other Czarina. 

"." 

Credits

aud pixel!

Helovian Ancient
Admin

His wings slipped against her easily as he accepted her embrace, his steadiness a hope in which she could lean on forever. It always troubled him to watch his children suffer the mortal woes, but there was purpose to it, so he didn't interfere needlessly. Still, he could help somewhat - a warm hug, a vine's kiss of relief, a role with which she could bury her agony among duty...

He smiled as they withdrew, her acceptance easier than he had expected. Of course her self-doubt was nearly inevitable; lack of that uncertainty would speak volumes about her which may not make her a suitable Czarina. That was his role though, that as their patron he was to see the buds into blooms, if only they'd trust his guidance. She trusted in him, and he nodded as she retreated to take her place with the rest of the herd. He turned and followed steadily after her, walking into and through the gathering, to stand alongside his chosen leads.

She trusted him, now he hoped he could trust her.

There was a weariness to the way he lifted his horned skull to face the crowd. If he smiled, it didn't seem to touch his eyes as it always had, stopping just short of some wrinkles and the shadows they cast. He was wondering at what point he stopped accusing them of failing, and started considering his failures. If his garden wasn't growing, maybe it was the Earth they rooted in.

His siblings were equipped with all the same tools and just as much land, and yet they prospered where he routinely faltered. It was a constant topic of teasing among them, one which ate at him further and further as of late, for it seemed all he ever did any more was place a new crown on a different head. It wasn't a matter of pride though - let his siblings say whatever they liked - but if his herd wasn't capable enough then what did that say about him as their father? Was he just too soft after all? He'd attempted to pose as a thorny bramble the last time he addressed his herd, but after all this time, perhaps he was only a rose.

"I come before you once more, my children," he shook his head faintly, an attempt at clearing the crowding thoughts inside his mind. "...To name another Czarina in the display of Archibald's hibernation." Rugged lips pursed together with a taut disapproval. "Ranjiri, will aide the Mountain that Knows in rebuilding the Hidden Falls."

He turned now with an honest smile towards the two mares, his gaze lingering upon the mottled features of his daughter. He was overjoyed to see her taking her role seriously and with a strong purpose, which made it all the harder to deny her request. He didn't wish for her to feel defeated, but for that very reason he couldn't grant her the dream she asked of him. He exhaled softly in her direction, a puff of dust that smelled sweetly of wildflowers and clover. A faint apology as he shook his head and closed his eyes for a moment. "Though your intentions are great and your vision flattering, I would heed you to get to know the roles given out and earned this day. Learn them through the practice each day requires, and when you have grown from such a seed into a sapling, then perhaps we can talk of trees and the temples they build."

[The God of the Earth has declined your herd quest for the time being!]

God of the Earth
Image Credits

Isopia the Mountain That Knows Posts: 780
Dragon's Throat Apostle atk: 6.5 | def: 10 | dam: 8.0
Mare :: Tribrid :: 18hh :: 3 - is now aging slowly HP: 90 | Buff: NUMB
Hubris :: Royal Bronze Dragon :: Shock Breath & Frost Breath & Babel :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Odd

Her first thought, was who? her? as Isopia's golden stare found Ranjiri. In another time and place, she might have seen herself in the dark mare's hooves. After all, had Isopia not been the one to scoff at herd meetings and depart from them as soon as she was reasonably able, as Ranjiri had just tried to do? And had Isopia not been raised to the position of Czarina? So what not Ranjiri?

Why not? A voice inside of her head asked, one which found no answer. She didn't know why the decision made her feel uneasy, but it did. Something wasn't right. Was it just that Archibald was gone? And that her Father had to appear yet again to assemble the broken pieces of their herd?

Before she could ruminate on these thoughts more, her Father had turned to her, was addressing her. Was turning her down. For a moment The Mountain could only gape. Can you do that? she wondered silently, as her deathly-marked skull peered stoically back into the massive face of her father. Can you even say no?

Well, apparently he could, because he was.

Bring the herd together, he had said. Let yourselves not be hidden, he said. And yet he would deny her this?

Though she had been prone to emotional outbursts as of late, for now, Isopia's temper was controlled. Despite her lack of understanding, she was intrigued by this turn of events. Clearly she had misread what he needed her to do - of them to do. Clearly she had more thinking to do. "Then let it be so." She said, nodding her quad-horned skull slightly in a nod of acceptance.

She probably should have felt anger or betrayal, possibly embarrassment, but of course she didn't. In light of all that had happened (and the memories she no longer possessed), she was able to receive this news docilely, and with her usual academic interest and nothing else.

Her gaze turned to Ranjiri. Despite the feeling of unease at her sudden promotion, the earth girl had to admit it was far nicer having a co-ruler who was present, rather than one who wasn't. "What say you, Czarina? Anything you'd like to add?"

ISOPIA
IN REALITY'S SHADOW THE BLIND SEE BEST
Image Credits

Brendan Posts: 31
Aurora Basin Medic atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 7
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 16hh :: Two Years (Orangemoon Born) HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Arwen :: Plain Hellhound :: Acid Emily

BRENDAN
HARDSHIP OFTEN PREPARES AN ORDINARY PERSON FOR AN EXTRAORDINARY DESTINY

"I'll be fine." She says. "I'm just tired." She says. "I just need to rest." But something just didn't add up. "Congratulations on your promotion, you'll be great." She smiles, but when I look in her eyes... Well it just doesn't look right. I Was about to press her farther when.... "Father Earth." I whispered softly as he appeared at the mare's side. I watch as a green vine reaches out to touch the mare's cheek. I stay quiet, just watching the very private interaction between the golden marked mare and the God of the Earth. I did at least learn her name. Ranjiri... I said it over and over again in my mind, so that I would not forget. "The pain you are enduring is unimaginable, and deserves its time to be worn in solitude." My attention snaps at once. Pain? I long to move forward and take whatever pain I can from the golden marked woman. That is my job now, right?

I try not to eavesdrop, but they are so close that I can not help be hear the conversation. I make a mental note to find Ranjiri later, to attempt to be there for her if she will let me... However the next phrase my ears catch.... Well now I know I do not belong here. "Be my Czarina, Ranjiri." OH MY.... She accepted. Just like that, we have two Czarinas.

Then the were moving, and moving toward me and the way back to the herd. As quickly as I could I move back out of the way and trail along behind my newest Czarina. "Congratulations" I whisper softly, just low enough for her ears only. Well, so I hope. Father Earth speaks, announcing his choice to replace Archibald with Ranjiri. I smile, my blue eyes seeking the gaze of the golden marked woman. "LONG LIVE THE CZARINAS!" I find my voice calling out as the God of the Earth made the official announcement.

I had gone after Ranjiri, so I had not heard about the quest the Mountain that Knows was attempting to gain us. However, Father Earth turned her down. I nodded, accepting his challenge of making the Falls grow and thrive. But he was right. I am newly crowned as an Earth Medic... One of three leading the healing ranks.... I don't doubt Father Earth's judgement... But... Well this is for sure going to be a challenge.

"Talk"

Ranjiri the GoldenShade Posts: 372
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 :: 5 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Mara :: Common Rougarou :: Shadow ali
Ranjiri
{
"Grief never ends, but it changes. Its a passage, not a place to stay. Grief is not a sign of weakness, nor a lack of faith. It is the price of love."

The Earth God's denial of Isopia's request took me by surprise, though not as much by surprise as my sudden rise to Czarina. His reasoning made sense, there had been so many that had recently been appointed to new positions that they might not know anything about, but I thought that everyone working together on a project could be a good thing. It would help to build trust and bond everyone together and they could learn their roles in the process. But who was I to voice my disagreement with the God who had just promoted me to lead his herd?

I swallowed down what I could of my grief, because standing where I was in the position I suddenly found myself in, grief didn't belong. "Wouldn't working together on a project be beneficial for everyone here?" I voiced my disagreement politely and hoped that he wouldn't think it rude or second guess himself about asking me to be Czarina. It would be an embarrassment to be the shortest reigned Czarina, but I also felt like the God of the Earth was understanding. "It would build trust and camaraderie. And what better way to learn a new trade than to emerse yourself into a project that is rewarding and that you can be proud of?" I tried to sound positive, but I had many doubts that he would rethink Isopia's request.

Isopia seemed to accept the Earth God's judgement, however, and that made me second guess myself and wonder if I should have just shut my mouth and accepted the no. There was little that I could do, I couldn't take back my disagreement, and so I sighed softly.

"What say you, Czarina? Anything you'd like to add?"

My gaze shifted to Isopia then to the herd and it felt so strange to be standing there. "There's a position as mason open now." I said. "If anyone is interested in it speak to us and let us know."

"." 

Credits

aud pixel!

Macaria Posts: 57
Outcast
Mare :: Unicorn :: 17 hh :: Three Years [Birdsong]
Psilo

His voice suddenly came from behind and so did the damp smell of moss and root. The temperature even seems to shift when he descends on them, and with him comes a bit of humidity, though you'd never be able to tell in such a moist place like the Falls. He is the Mountain's father, Macaria has seen that before, she's watched them talk over the storytelling pool. She stood there with her own mortal father – who has yet to arrive – and saw them together.

His earthy tentacle appendage extends, a comforting caress of his emerald hand unfurled to find her flesh. Macaria can see Ranjiri, a name she only knows because of her love for the winged woman's mother. She'd once been something like a mother, as close to a mothering sort as Ari would ever really. This makes the evidence of pure sorrow brimming Ran's pretty eyes to be a stab to her gut. Her tail twitches in an involuntary response to the flood of familial pain the pricks her metaphorical heart. She doesn't look to whomever is at each side of her, they could be recognized or not, she doesn't pay any mind. She only watches the unfolding of the scene at hand, the demotion of her father, the promotion of Ktulu's wounded daughter. The dappled girl has a small struggle with what to feel, sure her father has been gone. He really has. She cannot help but relate her own small bit of hidden contempt for his absence to that of his herd, his family, the realm.

You don't argue with a God, I suppose, or his logic. Her inner voice rings out to her mother, wherever she is, wherever the dead go. Where is my father? I hope he isn't with you, Mother, please don't let him be with you. Her rosy nostrils flutter as the blood rushes to her face. They're so beautiful though. She doesn't blink as the second Czarina takes her place beside the Mountain. Gooseflesh spreads across her entire body and her sparks begin to flash faintly across her star-shaped markings. Her tail dances, coils and uncoils, twitches and flicks the white -tasseled tip while her emotions begin to find their rightful corners of her brain. She squares her stance, straightening her posture.

She's not the Princess anymore. She's part of something even bigger, something she'll earn, something she can feel. These woman can lead, they are the future, they are what the Falls has been craving, what it laments for. These Queens – her Queens. Pride, something she's rarely felt, swells in her. Somewhere deep down though, there is an ache, a pang of pain for her Father's sake. For the sake of their broken family. For a sort of dynasty that almost was, but has no chance and maybe never did. Someone cheers and Macaria joins in with a half rear and an enthusiastic squeal.

The air dies down, the cheers simmer. The God makes his response to their suggestion, their small plea, very clear.

Denied.

Macaria's ears flip back into her messy black hair, her eyes darting to Isopia's face to read her reaction. Her own heart sinking a bit as her golden gaze finds the caped Queen. The pair of women recovered quickly, however. The Mountain did not seem to waver and Ari was certainly paying attention, she betrayed nothing of what turned over in her mind as the refusal left her father's lips. Her comrade is the same, accepting the answer and offering a solution and addressing the rest of the gathered herd. Their numbers were not at all what they once were. They were fractured.

She decides with a thumping heart that it's probably best for her to step forward now and make it clear she isn't just Archibald's daughter, but a woman of the Falls firstly. “I am happy to do whatever is most needed – as an Architect or just being helpful, whatever you may need.” She lets her horn tilt and her head dips gracefully, a curtsy of sorts. “Congratulations to you both.And I am hopeful for our prosperous future. But she leaves the last bit inside her, for only her mother to hear, wherever she is. Wherever the dead go.

dare my wild heart

image | coding

<33333

Helovian Ancient
Admin

They were hurt. They didn't understand.
He exhaled gently.

His head turned to set his gaze back upon Ranjiri, her queries hanging like dust motes on sunlight in the space between them. He applauded her ability to proffer debate, unfortunately the topic wasn't up for change, not today at least.

"It would," he agreed with her, nodding slightly, his beard swaying with the movement. "Yet, is a group project not within your own means already?" he asked her in turn, his voice slow and steady, exemplifying the patience of the earth which shifts gradually beneath weather and time, which grows steadily among sun and water and soil. "You are capable of coming together to build something grand even now, yet you instead request it of me." How much had he already given them? His protection among his lands, his wisdom with their new leadership, and his talents for those newly ranked. Yet they think it's not enough, that they must request something greater, something with which to impress all of Helovia.

He would be impressed if they were more self sufficient.

He doesn't however, say this. He understands their confidence is shaken. He recognizes the delicate strength they have collected under, one he has already helped construed, but that's part of the problem, isn't it? He's come to rescue them too often, too keen to meddle in their affairs when his other siblings are apt to let their charges flail. It always hurt him to watch that, and so he took to a greater kindness for his own herd, but now he's recognizing the ripple effect it's caused. Perhaps some minor flailing would do them good; it would be painful at first, but through that pain they would grow stronger, because it'd be on themselves that they lean instead of him.

Reject them now and survive the momentary suffrage, or grant them a quest he already knows they could never complete, and watch them suffer far greater for that loss. Perhaps the Moon would be so cruel as to grant them such a hopeless request, if only for the amusement, but he loves them too much, even if they can't yet see that. No, he would first have them learn to to build anything by their own accord. "You do not need me to come together or to build something great. You need each other."

They wanted to be a strong and mighty tree, but they were still an acorn in the ground, ready to sprout. He had the ability to transform them, but to what end? A tree is only impressive for the time it takes to grow, for the life it weaves with the steady strength of its own roots and the undying will to reach above and spread its leaves. An acorn does not lament the dry season, it merely waits for that first rain, and weathers whatever storms may come. That knowledge, those tempests, make the tree mighty. "As I said, learn to fulfill the daily needs of the herd with the newly appointed ranks. You may be surprised at your own abilities. Now if there are no further questions, I'll leave the herd in all of your very capable hooves."

God of the Earth
Image Credits

Aquila Posts: 95
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.2 :: 6 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Craonos :: Common Narwhal Leviathan :: Boil smitty
Aquila

Unblinking, overlarge eyes leave the Earth’s daughter the moment he actually appears, gaze sharpening on him and his vines as he gently caresses a dark, gilded, pregnant mare. And the seahorse blinked at the caring gesture—so at odds with how the Earth God has killed Vjanta and ignored her own requests. Sharp teeth tightened against each other as her jaw suddenly clenched, ribbons of muscle standing out beneath her pebbled skin.

Her ears, that had tilted back, swung forward as he spoke—denying the herd’s request for a quest, a purpose. Despite the warrioress thriving on jobs and assigned tasks, she heard and respected the God’s reasoning for denying their request. Look how few had gathered for this meeting, alone—and their patron deity stood in their midsts. Her tail flicked once again around her haunches and warring thoughts and conflicting emotions speared through her mind. Part of her wanted to distrust and despite the God for letting her futilely beg on the hard, black rocks of his ruined shrine.

But…perhaps she wasn’t ready either? As a trained warrior, it was now apart of her nature to defer to the decrees of those above her. And if the Earth God claimed the herd was not ready for a quest… Then perhaps he denied her because she was not ready to save her people. Her luminous eyes blinked once as these epiphanies (or rationalizations) filtered through her mind.

And then she steeled herself, allowing the coral pieces of decisions to click together—she would become ready, just as this herd would. So, with a dip of her aquamarine bladed head to the two new Czarinas, she began to turn and slip back into a deep pool.

The sea is hell and I am its fury.

Aquila needed to come to some internal epiphanies, don't mind her ;)

Please tag Aquila in all posts.