the Rift

[PRIVATE] all the stars are just a flicker

Lakota the Poisoner Posts: 278
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1hh :: 7 Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Aodaun :: Polar Bear :: Terrorize Brit

and there's so much more that you could see if you'd just stick around

The journey seems longer than it has any right to be. Though the disease is centered in her lungs, debilitating, rotting, it spreads pain signals through the rest of her mortal body. Pressing her shambling corpse forward, each halting step is agony. But Ktulu asked her to make this journey, and so Lakota will. Whatever her beloved asks of her in Lakota's last days, the Poisoner cannot deny her. If it would soothe her soulmate's heart, Lakota would walk until the disease stripped her life from her body. She would walk till the ends of the very earth for Ktulu. Even if it hurt, constantly, for her to do so. 

Aodaun is there at her side, his own exhaustion the only sign that his life is being drawn upon with their bond. She is grateful that he feels no pain, it is the only positive thing she can find in the awareness that he will die alongside her. But Aodaun does not blame her, he couldn't. This wasn't something she'd asked for, or a consequence of a foolish action. It was simply the natural progression of fate, and even if it had been Lakota's fault, he would follow her anywhere. She had saved him from death in the ice cavern in which she'd found him. Without her he wouldn't have had life in the first place. He would follow her into the great beyond without a single regret. 

The warmth emanating from the lava is comforting for Lakota's tired bones. She wanders aimlessly towards the Earth God's glowing, dilapidated shrine. Her history with him, Ktulu's history with him, was fraught with tension. But he was the giver of life, and perhaps he could help heal her in that manner. 

Standing is an exhausting task, but Lakota will face the Earth God on her feet or she will not face him at all. Even dying, she has her pride. Even if the only reason she remains standing is through her will and her companion's physical presence. Closes her tired eyes, violet blinking away behind dark lids, and she prays. 

Using one of my VotG passes! Tamme and I talked about this earlier. Essentially what I'm looking for is that Earthy will tell Lakota that he can't heal her for some reason (too far gone, fate, who knows) and Lakota will choose to leave a part of herself with Ktulu which will essentially manifest as a foal that Ktulu would carry to term. The quest can go to either Ktulu or the foal, both of us are okay with either scenario.

@Mythical Request come on tag
@Ktulu
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Ktulu the Constrictor Posts: 509
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 70.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Eytan :: Grizzly Bear :: Terrorize ali
Ktulu the Constrictor

Every step of the way from the Hidden Falls to the Veins was wracked with worry, pain, and guilt. Ktulu couldn't stop beating herself up over being gone for so long while Lakota silently suffered and cared for their child. She had been away while the woman she loved slowly withered and died and even when she had come back she'd been too occupied with warriors and patrols to even notice. What good was she? Lakota deserved so much better than anything that Ktulu had ever been able to offer her and this was just more proof that slugged the Constrictor square in the jaw.

There was little more than Ktulu could do besides offer words of encouragement when Lakota looked as if she were ready to give up, and offer her a shoulder to lean on when she needed to rest. If Ktulu could she would take the sickness onto herself so that Lakota could continue to live because she deserved it, and Murtagh deserved a mother that was actually there to watch him and care for him as he grew. 

The shrines loomed ahead of them and it seemed quite natural to Ktulu that they would stand before the Earth God's shrine. He had helped them before and she hoped that he would help them again. Her crimson gaze swung from the crumbled stone to the mare that stood next to her and she sidled closer, pressing their sides together in a silent offer to support Lakota should she need it. Her head tilted forward and she pressed her muzzle to Lakota's ear. "I love you." She whispered, and as she drew back she brushed her lips against her love's cheek, before returning her attention to the shrine.

"."

Credits

@Lakota @Mythical Request

Icon by Tay

God of the Earth Posts: 287
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: 22.0hh :: Ageless
Admin

A sweet breeze heralded his arrival: soft, warm, and smelling of spring. It caressed the two mares standing at the shrine of the Earth God and his rumbling, disembodied voice preceded his arrival: “Be at ease while we talk, Lakota.” The spring breeze brought a gentle rain, small glistening droplets that fell upon the blue mare and her mate though Lakota alone would feel the true effects of it. She would quickly discover that it brought a slight ease to her pain. Enough to breath, stand, and speak with comfort while she was here.

It was, he thought, the very least that he could do if he could not give them what they sought.

As the rain dissipated, the Earth God appeared - blinking into existence before the pair with a solemn expression clouding his great eyes. He could feel the sickness within Lakota, a terrible disease spreading through her body even now as it was placated temporarily.

He had watched these two mares grow and change, had often answered their calls here in the Veins. Would that this meeting would be as cheerful of an occasion as seeking the ability to create a child together, or to find a bear cub for their son. But far be it for him to make assumptions or read their minds to discover their purpose before they had a chance to explain it to him so he looked to Lakota, who had called him with her prayer. “What is it you seek?”

God of the Earth
Image Credits

As they stand there together, Lakota trying to keep her wits and strength about her, Ktulu's soft profession of love is almost enough to bring tears back to her violet eyes. Instead she turns her bare forehead against her beloved's warm neck, inhaling her scent like a drowning woman would gasp for air. She will remember her in any way she can, if these are to be her last moments. "I love you too. So much, Ktulu. You changed my life for the better." And though she normally would have never spoken the words so freely, without embarrassment or stumbling or a joke pinned at the end to make her feel less vulnerable or sappy, Lakota will not face potential death without having spoken them. She has regretted too many things in her forsaken life. This will not be one of them.

Lakota first notes the change in their surroundings by the warm droplet that slides down her cheek, and her tired eyes open as a soft, rumbling voice speaks. Her lungs breathe a little easier as the rain showers softly down upon them, the pain receding to dull aches, and she can stand more firmly on her own without need of Ktulu and Aodaun at her sides. Crinkled dark brow smooths out, and her heart aches with quiet gratitude for the relief. It was easy to forget how much living simply hurt until he took it away. And as she opens her eyes to find him standing before them, a rare configuration of her tired, sincere smile comes upon her inky lips. "Thank you," she whispers, though she is sure he will hear her. He is kind, to offer this respite, when she has given him nothing so far. Perhaps in another life, where Lakota was not so damaged, so bitter from life and fate, she would have followed him. A patron of earth and all things that grew the poisons and herbs she knew so well, with kindness in his heart and power in his might. She would have loved him, the pious girl she once had been before the world had ruined her. But she could only offer him her thanks, now. And pray that maybe, the might of him would be able to save her and her family.

"There is a sickness in me that the healers cannot touch," she explained softly, not wanting to upset Ktulu. The Poisoner had had months of coming to terms with her illness, Ktulu did not. "I do not think I have long left in this body. If you have the power, I ask you to take it from me somehow so I may stay with my family. If you do not..." her voice choked, for even she could not imagine the frightening expanse of death without trepidation. "I ask that you leave a piece of me to be remembered with Ktulu and my son, somehow. That you let Aodaun and I pass here in peace, so that he will not experience my pain, and will stay with me as we journey on." Because she could not bear to ask him to rip apart her soul to let Aodaun free. Even if it made her selfish, she couldn't deny Aodaun's gentle affirmation that he wanted the same thing too. 

@Mythical Request
Plot with me here!

Ktulu the Constrictor

Lakota had always been awkward at best when it came to saying that she loved anything or anyone, so hearing her say it then, so easily, and so effortlessly made Ktulu stomach twist into a painful knot. It sounded too much like Lakota was saying her goodbyes and Ktulu wanted to scream vehemently at her not to, but instead held her tongue. No matter how much she wanted to she couldn't, because if this was the end she didn't want her last moments with Lakota to be filled with screaming and fighting.

A breeze kicked up suddenly, and with it came rain. Ktulu looked toward the sky, but the clouds she saw there didn't boast of rain. Moments later the Earth God appeared and Ktulu's gaze fell from the sky to the massive god standing before them. What did they seek, he asked and before Ktulu could answer Lakota did. Her head turned and she watched her mate, her ears pricked forward as she listened to what she said to the god, and her mouth went dry.

Leave a piece of her behind? 

Let them die here?

No.

Ktulu's ears fell back and she turned her head back toward the God of the Earth. "Tell me what I have to do to save her." The dark mare said stubbornly. "Tell me what's wrong with her. Is it her heart? Her blood? Take mine. Whatever it is, I don't care, but save her." I can't let her die.

"."

Credits

Icon by Tay

Helovian Ancient
Admin

That he might have guessed their purpose for visiting the Veins did not make the news any easier to hear. The god’s eyes were weighed down with sadness as he listened to Lakota explain about her sickness, how she was beyond what the medics could do to help her. Although he had temporarily relieved the symptoms, the cause of it - of course - was still rooted within her body.

Before he could respond to her, Ktulu spoke up - filled with the stubbornness and fire he knew to expect from her and a mirthless smile pulled at the corner of his mouth as he looked to her. “You would offer her life in exchange for yours, but would she accept such a price to live without you?” His gaze shifted to Lakota, the question hanging in the air for her to answer - though he suspected the answer. The Poisoner, with her wishes for peace and remembrance, did not strike him as the sort who would be so deeply selfish as to accept such a sacrifice. Even if he would allow it.

With a heavy sigh, he responded to Lakota’s wishes - the sadness in his voice evident. “I cannot heal you, Lakota, not enough to save your life. I can give you peace and I can be your guide into the world beyond this but it is not in me to change your fate so drastically.” His gaze shifted to Ktulu for a moment, who should have known this would be his answer. He had not been able to return life to their son either. But, he supposed, love and bonds made those tied with them seek out any miracle they could when it was needed. He could not fault them for asking.

“And I can grant you your wish, to leave behind a piece of yourself in the form of a new life.” That, at least, he thought fitting - that a new life would enter this world as another left it. “But it is something you both need to consent to, for it will not be you, Lakota, who will need to pay the price of this magic.” And again he looked to Ktulu, though there was nothing but patience in his demeanour. It was certainly a lot to digest, the news that Lakota would not be saved and that she, Ktulu, would need to face the quest to see their second child come to life on her own. He would not rush her to agree to the idea Lakota had put forth when there was no need to.

God of the Earth
Image Credits

She should have expected the fervor of her mate's response, and a sigh collects in the base of her throat as the mare conveys her love with the biggest sacrifice - her own life. Lakota's eyes go soft, and Aodaun huffs softly from her other side, where he buoys her up. Faithful even to the end. Fearless in the face of death, so long as her soul is intertwined with his as they cross the bridge to meet the faces of her family. Lakota could hardly bear to think of the lost souls she would see on the other side; her granddam and her beloved Ithrim, whose honorary beads still hung in her mane. Even Hototo. The Poisoner would whisper in his spirit ears of the love his earthbound mother had for him, and the way her heart still ached for her lost son. Promising their reunion, and how Lakota would remain by the Earth Singer's side until their red-eyed family joined them in the heavens. 

But as Ktulu's passionate, sturdy voice wrecks through her thoughts, Lakota turns and tugs gently on her beloved's mane as the God gently reprimanded the Constrictor. "I'd never steal your life from you, Ktulu. You may offer it, but I shall not accept it. It is you who holds bearing in our herd, who has merit and history here. If anyone is to go, it will be me - the one the sickness afflicted." Her words were soft but beneath it lay the unwavering stones of truth, and she would not budge on it. However Lakota may feel about her self-worth, nobody could contest her honesty and truth. Ktulu would be the one missed, not the wraith of a citizen who had never put down roots, never made friends. 

And the death knoll sings its sweet songs in the thrum of the Earth God's voice, and the woman closes her eyes against the sway of sorrow that nearly sweeps her from her feet. She had known, somewhere in her heart, that this was the way it would be. That he could not heal her, even with all his might. That sometimes, nature had to take hold. That magic could not fix everything, that Lakota of all souls on the earth did not deserve to be cleansed and repaired by such pure, regenerative energy. But a part of her, a stupid part of her that had reared its head upon Ktulu's return, had not accepted death. Even as the rest of her had come slowly to terms with it, going through each stage of grief in silent grace, that one part had never budged. And it ached fiercer than the rest of her soul could have ever hurt her. Hope was the most painful thing to be crushed, in the end. And if she shed a few quiet tears at the God's announcement, well...only he and her lover would see her weakness here at her end of days. 

"Thank you," she whispered, her voice a little too choked for the grace she had been aiming for. Even she, it seemed, who had danced with death so often, could not face it straight in the eye. "I understand. It's more than enough, to pass in peace instead of pain. It's more than others are granted. Thank you." It was so hard not to cry, and she was furious at her own reaction. Hadn't she accepted this long ago? Ktulu didn't deserve this, to see her break down in the face of everything they'd feared. She deserved to remember Lakota as she always had been - strong, willful, elegant. Not like this. Never like this. 

At first she had simply meant a marking, or an item, something that would remind Ktulu of her last moments here. But he was a God, and if he had seen her last request deep in her heart where she could not fathom asking Ktulu for such a burden...she would not be surprised. A daughter. The only other thing she'd ever wanted, something she'd been wanting to ask Ktulu about when she came back home, if Lakota had not fallen sick. A sister for their son. A filly as pure and happy as Hana had been, when Lakota and Alleo were young. A new life. The circle completed - the balance leveled. Life out of death, just as it should be. 

She turned her wet eyes to Ktulu. 

"You don't need to say yes," her voice broke on a whisper. "It...it will be hard enough saying goodbye." Aodaun moaned sadly at her hooves, awaiting Ktulu's response. Awaiting the gentle hand that would pass over he and Lakota, guiding them into the ether. Lakota was glad that the God of the Earth would be the one to carry her into the next life - the only God she'd ever trusted in this land still stubbornly foreign to her. The only one to award her meaningful magic that could give life from love instead of seed. The one to give her Murtagh. Her son. 

She owed him so much. It was only fitting that he be the one to cradle her tainted soul in his gentle grasp, and carry her to a light she didn't deserve.

Plot with me here!

Ktulu the Constrictor

A look of frustration crossed Ktulu's face when the Earth God asked if Lakota would accept a life without her. "What makes you think I want to accept a life without her?" The Constrictor shot back. In a world that was chocked full of shit and struggle and violence Lakota had been the only good thing. She had been the reason that Ktulu woke up every morning. Keeping her safe had been the reason for her late night patrols and for the long scouting missions that she sometimes went on. But now all of that seemed meaningless in the face of something she couldn't attack head on and kill. Her head turned as Lakota brought up the herd and her position in it and she snorted. "I would throw it all away if it meant saving you." She said earnestly. "I don't want it if I can't have you, too." And Lakota may have thought that Ktulu was less than serious, but she'd never been more serious about anything in her entire life.

The Falls was nothing without the Poisoner.

Her blood felt like it turned to ice in her veins when the god finally admitted that he could not save Lakota. He could not stop his sister from murdering. He could not save their child. He could not stop the Rift Gods from waging war on the Helovians. He could not save Lakota. His list of shortcomings was ever growing and it made Ktulu wonder what he could do.

Oh, he could help Lakota with her passing and ferry her to the afterlife like the god damned God of Death. 

Wasn't Earth supposed to be a life >giver?

And as if he were reading her mind he was offering a piece of Lakota in the form of a new life. But what if Ktulu didn't want a new life? What if she just wanted Lakota? The dark mare bit down on her tongue to keep herself from objecting and to make herself listen. Lakota seemed hopeful that she would accept, and even though all Ktulu wanted to do was kick dirt at the god, she wouldn't deny Lakota her final wish.

"Yes." She agreed, her voice quiet and sedated. "What do I need to do?"

"."

Credits

Icon by Tay

Helovian Ancient
Admin

The Earth God frowned at Ktulu’s rebuttal, when she stated that she did not to accept a life without her mate, but made no verbal reply. They could stand here for eons while the two mares debated which one of them was willing to die for the other - but were they prepared to die together? To leave behind the rest of their family? What about their young son, what about the new life they had a chance at making right here and now? Or did they only care about each other, and the rest of the world was damned for it?

That last option was particularly concerning. Such a mindset was not exactly what he would like to see in a mare just about to have a new son or daughter. But perhaps through her task the Earth God could help remind Ktulu that there were still going to be others worth caring for in Lakota’s absence.

He waited patiently as the two considered his words, his eyes focused most on Ktulu - wary about her reaction. But the Constrictor did not offer any other objections, giving her consent to the quest in a quiet voice before asking what she needed to do. His reply came in a calm, rumbling voice, his frown replaced by a hopeful expression.

“You have two options. The first will need to be completed before you can become pregnant. You will need to show me that you are truly willing to take on this new life. You will need to gather some helpful plants from across Helovia and then bring a fish to me, safe and alive.” A pause, small and quick, before he continued. “The second option is that you will become pregnant with Lakota’s child here and now and a different task will fall on the shoulders of that child, one to demonstrate that it understands what it means to care for another life and what others have done for the child to live.”

Then the god fell quiet once more, his gaze watchful and flickering between the two as he waited to see what their decision would be. He did not think anything, except the impossible task of saving Lakota, would win him favour with Ktulu at this point. But that was not his intention - were they both not here to give Lakota what she needed to pass as peacefully as possible?  

God of the Earth
Image Credits

Okay! Here are your two quest options:

Option 1) For Ktulu to finish. Must find the following items and bring them back to the Earth God before she will be impregnated with the child
  • seeds from of the sperma passiflora plant
  • bark from blood larch plant (hint - check the land guides!)
  • Create a vessel and capture a fish, ensuring that it is alive upon transporting it back to the Veins.

Option 2) For the unborn child. Ktulu will become pregnant now and the foal must complete the following quest within 2 seasons of being born or it will die.
  • Will be given a sapling to care for from the Earth God
  • Need to bring it to all 4 of the herd lands and show up in 1 Random Event thread
  • Then bring the (living) sapling back to the Earth God to complete the quest

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask!

Ktulu's vehemence is a comfort, now that Lakota knows these are her last few hours. Perhaps her heart is in the wrong place, or her love too strong and blinding, but Lakota appreciates it all the same. She won't be leaving this world alone and sick, as the Poisoner had feared with each night Ktulu did not return home. She will die without pain, with her beloved at her side, knowing her memory would go on in the form of a new life. A daughter that would make the world a better place than Lakota had ever managed to make it. "It can't be changed, beloved," she says instead. What-ifs and what-I'd-gives had no place here, where even a God could not slow the ending of her life force. It's soft in tone, but there is iron beneath each word. Lakota didn't want her last conversation with Ktulu to be one of maybes and passionate futility. Her life had been filled with enough suffering. All she asked for now was peace. 

And then Ktulu, looking as if she'd eaten every sour herb in Helovia's biome, at last consents. It's more than Lakota could have imagine or hoped for. It wasn't something planned, this transference of life. In the end, though, it was all Lakota could have asked for. Maybe, just maybe, the child would be enough to keep Ktulu moving forward. Maybe it would benefit them both somehow. Lakota didn't want Ktulu's self-destruction. She didn't want mourning or grief. In her passing, the Poisoner prayed there would only be rebirth and renewal, a flourishing of new happiness and new beginnings. The continuance of her memory, somehow. And Ktulu had vowed to secure that. 

The God speaks once more, and she turns her violet gaze to her lover. 

"It's your choice," she murmurs. "But I'd rather our child learn early on how much I love them. That I would give my last spark to them, and that I didn't leave them willingly. Will you tell them about me? The good and the bad?" Her voice remains at a whisper, and yet the tears slip quietly across her cheeks even as she smiles. There's no pain here but the one in her heart, and she prays that on the other side, she will be able to watch their child grow. Knowing these are her last moments she turns more fully to Ktulu, touching her gently with her muzzle as if to imprint Lakota's touch upon her skin. 

"You are the most amazing soul I've ever encountered. You are my everything. I would not have known happiness if you had not come into my life. I love you. I love you. I love you, Ktulu." If only she had the time to say it a thousand, a million more times. But she kept murmuring it to the cadence of her tears. Her passing would be marked by her love. If there was only one thing Ktulu took away from this moment where her life force died away, Lakota wanted it to be the profession of her love. "You will be an amazing mother." 

At last she turns to the God of the Earth, and then looks to her side where Aodaun gazes steadily up at her. I'm ready, Lakota. She drops her muzzle to the softness of his head, breathing in a scent so close to her own she can scarcely tell the difference anymore. Green and purple eyes look up at the God of the Earth in tandem, their intertwined souls finally at rest. 

"I'm ready," she whispered, waiting for his magic to take hold, for his will to bend her spirit and shepherd the two of them into the realm of reunion of peace. Let her eyes shut and finally let go.

Thank you both so much for making this a possibility <3 she's one of my oldest characters from outside Helovia and it means a lot to me

@Ktulu
Plot with me here!

Ktulu the Constrictor

Ktulu was quiet as she listened to the God of the Earth as he lay two options before her. One being that she would quest before she could become pregnant with Lakota's child, and the other being that the child would be the one to have to quest. Naturally Ktulu wanted to take the quest on herself, but hesitated with Lakota spoke. Regardless of what she chose Lakota would die and that meant that she could either die knowing that Ktulu still had to quest for their child, or she could die knowing that Ktulu was already carrying their child.

It was a decision Ktulu didn't want to make, and she wondered just how long she could stall to keep Lakota alive.

For the first time since they'd made it to the Veins, Eytan left Ktulu's side to sit next to his oldest friend. Her own despair was only increased by Eytan's as he finally began to come to terms with the fact that he would be losing Ao. The two of them had been together for as long as the grizzly could remember and he couldn't, didn't want to, imagine life without the other bear.

"Do it now." Ktulu finally murmured, though her gaze remained on Lakota. "I'll help the child when the time comes." She sighed quietly, her neck stretching to brush her muzzle against Lakota's. "I will." She promised. "I'll tell him ... her." Whatever it was that they would have. "I'll tell them how beautiful you are... and how strong... how selfless." She blinked, her vision beginning to blur with unshed tears. "I'll tell them about how we met, how we fought together and quested to create life. And I'll tell them about how much I loved you..." Her voice broke as she used the word loved

"I love you. I love you. I love you, Ktulu. You will be an amazing mother."

There was so much more that Ktulu wanted to say, but was unable to put to words. No amount of I love yous felt like it would suffice. It just wouldn't express the depth of her love for the other mare nor would it express just how broken her heart would be by losing her.

"I'm ready."

But I'm not. Ktulu thought even though she didn't have a choice. "Wait for me." She whispered to the woman who had held her heart for so many years. "I'll see you again on the other side."

"."

Credits

Icon by Tay