the Rift

[PRIVATE] cruel world

Rexanna Posts: 499
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15hh :: 7 years HP: 61.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Marembo :: Marbled Polecat :: None Skylark
I’ve become a simple souvenir of someone’s kill
The time had come, and it was weighing on the gilded woman as she slipped through the morning after the Festival. As far as she was concerned, it was at least partially a success – but she knew deep down that her leads weren’t expecting her next step. The Festival had been a brilliant idea, sought after when she had noticed the dwindling numbers of her fellow ice dwellers. Yet, her time had come and after so long of spending time here behind these borders – behind gathering outcasts and newcomers alike to stay among them in their icy fortress, it was finally time for her to leave and live with the man she wanted to spend the rest of her life with.

She had been stubborn, as he had been to her. She didn’t want to have to leave – and neither did he. However, in the terms of who became something more important, the Elephant King had definitely won that argument. She had managed to make it to a Thief – he had managed to make it to a King. And she knew the importance of such a job. She knew she’d be the one that would have to cave into him. Originally she wouldn’t have, if it weren’t for the children she had with him. And with the recent news of Kianzo missing from her home, she needed to inform her leaders as well – if the small colt ended up returning seeking her or his sister, they needed to know where she’d be. Likewise, she needed to know that there wouldn’t be any hard feelings between them for her decision.

She stepped toward the archway, while Tembovu and Kiada packed up all the things she had accumulated in her cave over the last few years of living in the Basin. She glanced around, worried that it might just be the last time she saw the Basin before whinnying into the distance, calling for Hotaru and Deimos. She patiently waited, while Marembo scurried up to her, pulling onto her leg ever so gently so he could lift himself up with her mane. Of course, she obliged her companion, lowering her head for the tiny polecat so he could situate himself in his familiar place along her withers, watching the world around them with bright beady eyes, waiting for the King and Queen of the Basin to appear and hear their news.

"Talk."
And like the sea—
I’m constantly changing from calm to ill.
Rexanna
image | coding

@Hotaru @Deimos idk if you both wanna show but i needed to get this up before I die inside :/
[Image: lovelyskylark.gif?8]
Permission given for moderate power play.
Feel free to use magic/force on Rexanna, without killing her.
Please tag in every post!

Hotaru the Valkyrie Posts: 295
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3hh :: 6 Years 3 Months HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Alice :: Royal Hellhound :: Acid Brit

Hotaru

The festival had been long in the making, and it seemed ephemeral in the face of their laborious preparations. But Hotaru had deeply enjoyed the festivities, the fireworks and storytelling - even though, privately, she could not cease pondering over the images and fortunes that Aisling had revealed to her. Whether she could call it a fortune in the first place was...questionable. It seemed more a doomed message from the future than anything fortuitous, if it was reliable. But coming from Aisling, the dear woman she'd become quite fond of, Hotaru could not help but entertain the notion of omniscience and an aptitude for things to come. What was she supposed to do? Her heart was torn, and she never imagined she'd be here, in this kind of position. It was still preposterous to the woman that anyone would be interested in her in the first place, much less two at the same time. Two who, admittedly, were not only handsome but more than capable of securing a lover far better than she. It had haunted her thoughts since Thranduil's...visit. And ensuing proclamation. Confession. 

Alice's soft whine caught the Valkyrie's attention, ripping her from the familiar spiral of confusing notions. Things she could never escape. A winding circle that went nowhere, as no further meetings took place and no routes were made obvious to her to draw her from the situation she found herself in. So deep in her thoughts, she'd dismissed the sound of Rexanna's call subconsciously until Alice had urged her from the dark spot within her mind. Beta calling for you, the bitch announced softly, turning to look over her smoking violet shoulder towards Hotaru, pointing the way with one lazily bent knee towards the echoing source of the sound. Hotaru physically shook herself, trying to focus. Thinking would achieve nothing if she hadn't found a solution by now. Rexanna would be a welcome distraction, able to sink into her best friend's presence and even confide in her. Perhaps the Thief would have some ideas for Hotaru, if the Valkyrie could not come up with them on her own. 

The comfort of that notion lasted only a moment as she came face to face with her Beta. 

The gathering of her bodice, the place she stood, awaiting them...even the soft rustling and voices from Rexanna's cavern, one of them unmistakably Kiada and the other Tembovu, whom Rexanna had mentioned to Hotaru as being the father of the girl and her twin...it was like a kick to the gut. It was too familiar, too fresh. She could blink and see Ashamin's apologetic face in Rexanna's awaiting form. And she knew exactly why Rexanna had summoned her forth instead of seeking her out. Her joyous smile fell immediately from her face, an icy, impermeable countenance replacing it so quickly it almost spun her head. You're leaving me, too? her heart cried. It seemed every time she let herself love someone, they turned and abandoned her in one way or another. And for what? To find themselves, as Ashamin had? For love, as Ophelia had? And apparently now Rexanna as well, if the Elephant King's presence meant anything.

"You're leaving." It came from between her parted lips so icily that even Alice winced, a soft, barely audible whine curling off her tongue. Hotaru stamped a single hoof and the bitch fell silent, retreating away from Rexanna with lowered eyes, obedient beneath the cold storm of Hotaru's anger and hurt. Even she would not go out on a limb for their dear friend, their Beta. "For him?" and the spit of her voice only grew more venomous, the barbs sharper as she lashed them forth at Rexanna. She was not her Lady, now. At least she'd managed that with Ashamin. But somehow, Rexanna being her best friend instead of her lover removed any kind of control Hotaru had over the situation. 

"Is being a King's concubine so much more preferable than your position here?" she hissed, the vitriol of her insult only dulled by the way her eyes were perhaps a little too shiny. Her voice a tad bit too choked to be believable. Idle sparks flicked at her hooves, anger stirring in her veins. A shield, defending her from the reality of her own hurt. I didn't leave when Ashamin did. Why can't you do it too? Her heart was shattering even as her face remained like ice, hard and unforgiving as she stared down at her dearest friend. Must she lose everyone to those better than her? Was she incapable of keeping her herd, her family together? What was she doing wrong? 

Please, just stay.

This is no mistake, no accident
If you think the final nail is in, think again

@Rexanna
[Image: 515265280ffff]

::Strong like the sea is stormy::

Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

The burning sensation in her gut only grew as she waited, ears flicking to her cave now and then as voices – though muffled in their distance – carried words of travel and plans for finding her son. A small frown found her features, creasing and etching itself upon her pale maw as a dup grew on the horizon. She tried to smile in view of the alpha to her beta, the sunrise to her sunset, the woman Rexanna called her friend, and yet her smile failed. It faltered and twitched until it died all together as the feeling in her gut only burned greater the longer her blue eyes watched the beautiful pink hues of Hotaru. And just as they approached, and Rexanna noticed the change in the way Hotaru held herself toward her – the tension and intensity of the aura surrounding the two of them – she opened her lips to speak until Hotaru’s voice cut her off.

You’re leaving.” Her ears swayed, hanging low in a brief moment of sadness as it washed over her features, the mask she had carefully constructed slowly breaking away piece by piece until all she exposed to the woman before her was her pure raw self. “For him?” She wasn’t sure if it was supposed to be an insult to her – of how she should react if she wanted to keep face. Instead, she simply frowned and finally got the urge to look Hotaru in the eye. “I wanted to thank you for everything.” She began, shakily as she raked in a desperate breath. “But I have to do this for my children.” Her frown only grew, realizing that she only could really speak of one for the moment.

Hotaru’s voice reached her ears once again, a venomous sharp knife that felt as though it sunk into her breast. “Is being a King’s concubine so much more preferable than your position here?” Rexanna wanted to be angry at the words, but she couldn’t find it in her to be upset when the Basin Lady had every right to be upset. “Hotaru, you’re my friend, you always will be to me. But, I never got a chance to meet my parents. I grew up on my own, always wondering what a life of love would have been like. I owe that much at least for Kiada and Kianzo.” She began, purposefully leaving out Rein’s name. “And as of right now, Kianzo is missing. I need to find my son, and I’d feel better being able to go and search for him without being held to a title and duties here as well as caring for Kiada.” The gilded siren pushed the words out, her voice wavering and shaking as she spoke of her missing child.

You’re my best friend. I don’t want to hurt you by doing this but I need you to understand, and I’m sorry. I hoped the Festival would prove helpful in filling ranks even though I’m leaving mine.” Her eyes sought the emerald jewels of the sunrise mare. “I love you Hotaru, I’m sorry” Perhaps Rexanna was different from Hotaru in the way she could express the words so easily. Yet, even still, only two people that weren’t her children had ever heard her say that to them. The man in the cave, packing up all her belongings, and her. That should account for something, right?

"Talk."
And like the sea—
Rexanna
image | coding

@Hotaru ;-;

Deimos the Reaper Posts: 527
Deceased atk: 7.0 | def: 12 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 72.5 | Buff: NUMB
Heather

Deimos the Reaper
You can't take back the cards you've dealt on this 
long and lonely road to hell
the throne must be such a sad and lonely place

He knew the moment he arrived – the way she stood, half in their wintry world, half in the outskirts and pathways to another realm – that she was scrolling and sketching out her departure. It was the same gutting pattern, and it stung all the more because while he was powerful, while he was potent, while he was might and fortitude, stone and ice, he had no way to stop it. He hadn’t bothered with Ophelia. He hadn’t known what to say, what to feel, with Ashamin’s departure. Rexanna’s simply felt worse – and he bit down on the words he yearned to throw out into the air. Why? with a deafening roar, until all the birds fled and all the grass died from his rage and exasperation. Did I do something wrong? was another inquiry stuck to the roof of his mouth, because he presumed, always presumed it’d been his errors, his faults, his bleeding, utter imperfections that caused them to flee – no matter how hard he tried, no matter how hard he strived, to combat the ways in which he was rendered so weak and futile. A blunt dagger of pettiness even delved into his reach (I should not have let him in), but he didn’t raise it, didn’t poise it over her heart, but stretched it down across his and left it lying there, one more instrument plaguing his movements, motions, and motives. Have you no loyalty? was one more growl left out, because he didn’t understand, couldn’t comprehend, the hows and whys of so many cast themselves adrift from them, from the mountains, from the summits. Why were there so many that filed their way out, down, down, down, across the frosty hills and out into other venues? What had they done to send them away? Perhaps he’d been at fault all along – assuming, despite everything that had ever happened to him – that she’d be amongst their crowd for eternity, just as rooted, just as settled, just as eager and fervent to fight for their glacial land. But other things moved her attention, other Kings, other prospects, children who needed attention, babes that wandered (and he’d never done that either – he hadn’t hunted for Huyana beyond the walls of Helovia, because he had responsibilities, he had duties, tied and tethered to the plain of ice and the shackles of a throne, but everyone else seemed capable of throwing them away). Maybe he’d learned nothing at all. He was still naught to them, couldn’t keep anyone and everyone together, couldn’t inspire or aspire them to reach grand heights…they succumbed to something else every time. He was no lure, no guiding hand, no King they looked to for support. He was just as empty, just as vast, just as desolate as the first day he’d held the heavy crown upon his head.

Even that notion hurt – and he wondered when, and why, he’d allowed it.

The sentiments stung, the way they discarded them like strangers barbed, and so he held himself back, listening to Hotaru’s sharpened tongue, watching and witnessing the explanation unravel from Rexanna. He molded into the shadows, into the darkness, that had long-since created him – knowing full well that he’d failed his sire’s request again – bowing his head and staring at the ground. “I doubt your role could be fulfilled,” he finally managed to utter, sharp, piercing, penetrating gaze slowly meandering to hers, trying not to harbor resentment, but some form of silent request, some pleading offering he couldn’t make because of pride, because of calamity, because of all the wounds still fresh in his mind. He meant it though – she’d done so much for their sovereignty – and her rank would fall to someone not yet worthy. But then, they were nearly ghosts to her now anyway, nothing, nobodies, another stepping stone to a path Hotaru and he had been incapable of seeing – and he was too foolish to do anything else but stare, but grieve.

Photo and Table by Time
Photo taken at Hero's Square in Budapest, Hungary

@Rexanna @Hotaru

Hotaru the Valkyrie Posts: 295
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3hh :: 6 Years 3 Months HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Alice :: Royal Hellhound :: Acid Brit

Hotaru

Hotaru's face contorted into a sneer, trying to cover the hurt that pinched the sides of her eyes and mouth, as Rexanna started out by thanking her. As if that would fix anything. As if that would cover up the fact that the woman was leaving. Leaving the Basin. Leaving Hotaru. What was she supposed to be thanked for? Providing a home when Hotaru hadn't even been the one to accept her into the Basin? Promoting her when she'd already deserved it? If she wanted to thank Hotaru for being her friend then that was the one thing she shouldn't utter. Because clearly that friendship meant nothing anymore. 

And Hotaru would not be fooled. Not anymore.

"No," she spat hatefully, ears pinned so far back it made her own head ache. "You're not doing this for your children. You're doing this for your own selfish desires. Because if Kianzo disappeared, where do you think he'd look for you first? Your logic is wrong Rexanna, and don't you dare try to assuage your guilt, don't you dare try to lie to me with the delusions you've created for yourself." Alice glanced between the pair, standing so at odds with one another when they'd always been hip-to-hip. Were it anyone else, her hackles would have been standing on end from the base of her skull all the way to the tip of her tail, but even now she wanted to make herself smaller. Somehow cease the expulsion of smoke from her coat if only to remove herself from this heartbreaking scenario. But she needed to be here for Hotaru, because despite the anger creasing her beautiful face into something hideous, Alice knew better. She could feel Hotaru's heart shattering in her chest, the childlike crying in her head; why, why, why are you leaving me? please stay, i'll be better, please, i'll do anything!

It was only a shame that Rexanna might not be able to see that. Or maybe she could, with how she didn't rise to Hotaru's shameless baiting. 

"Love is capable of growing with or without distance," the Valkyrie hissed, eyes sharp like flint. "My parents never lived in the same herd even once. And you want to know what happened to them? They died, and their love was so pure that a tree was grown in the place where they died together, recognized by the Gods. You're pleading your case to the wrong mare." Hotaru wouldn't listen to any of Rexanna's excuses, not when she could spot the holes in each so easily. Or maybe she'd just shut her ears to the mare's pleading, because the hurt was like a crescendo of noise that she could not hear over. It consumed everything. 

Hotaru didn't have friends. It wasn't something she was good at. And those she did manage to form tentative bonds with always did this, always burned the tender threads of heartstrings she'd wound around them so lovingly. And it left a scorch mark on her heart every single time as the fire ate away at those feelings, leaving a physical reminder that she should never take the chance again. Yet she did anyways, over and over. 

It was her own fault. She never should have thought that Rexanna could be different. 

Deimos comes then, and Hotaru gravitates towards him, feeling less like a Lady when she can tell that all three of them are emotional and grieving. Doesn't touch him but feels the warmth emanating from his dark sides and tries to take comfort from it. His voice is sorrowful but polite in a way that Hotaru can't manage. And then Rexanna is speaking again, professing her love with a choked apology, and it's like an arrow straight to Hotaru's soul. "She's just like everyone else," she snaps back in disagreement at Deimos, drifting on the current of her agony. "She can be replaced." But it's a lie through and through, and Hotaru has never spoken anything so hollow before. Instead her haunted eyes pierce towards Rexanna, and the well of her tears finally chokes her voice as she spits her parting words like venom. "You don't love me. Love can't exist with distance, remember? You claimed so yourself." 

The words come out hoarse and throttled with emotion, and Hotaru spins around like a wild thing, kicking her heels hard and going from stillness to sprint in the space of a few lengths, retreating before Rexanna or Deimos can witness the fall of her tears. She doesn't look back. She can't. 

Alice turns to watch her go, and a sad low whine echoes through her maw like a goodbye as she stares at Rexanna. Then she turns and follows her errant sister.

This is no mistake, no accident
If you think the final nail is in, think again

[Image: 515265280ffff]

::Strong like the sea is stormy::

Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

The gilded siren knew that that Hotaru was upset. As her words spat across the chilled air, Rexanna did the best she could to not physically flinch. The words hurt, but they didn’t make sense to her. In her mind, Kianzo would more than likely seek out his sister – who was far more interested in their father than her. She imagined the colt would seek her out, looking to the Edge for his sibling. Her oceanic gaze trailed from Hotaru and her venomous words to glance over at Alice, apologies and sadness strewn across the features of her exotic striped face. “I’m sorry” She wanted to repeat over and over again until the rosen mare understood. And as the Basin’s Lady began to speak of her parents, giving out a bit of information that Rexanna hadn’t known of her some pieces started to make sense. Was that the tree the gilded mare had found her Lady under when they both carried their twins?

She did her best to even out her breathing, as her heart beat rapidly in her chest. She wanted to tell her that she wasn’t her parents, and after everything that happened she wasn’t sure how pure her love would always be with Tembovu if they continued to stay apart. It was a shift, a change in the wind and a change in the mind, and she wanted to take the chance. They had danced continually, over and over of who would leave their post to seek the warm embrace of the other. And yet, despite all her efforts she figured it was easier for a Thief to give up her rank than a King to step down from his. Her head only shifted, her gaze leaving and tearing away from the spiteful and angry Hotaru for a Deimos whose head was held lower, eyes cast toward the ground. It tore into her chest, tore into her heart as the words left his lips. Rexanna opened her maw to speak until Hotaru cut her off.

She’s just like everyone else, she can be replaced.” Her gaze narrowed, swimming with extreme emotions of sorrow and anger as it boiled and bubbled beneath her gilded skin. She sighed, turning her attention back to Hotaru as she spat her last and final words before turning on her heel and running off away from the gathering. She inhaled deeply, a sorrowful gaze cast toward Alice as a low whine grew into the air. Then, it was just her and Deimos. Her brows furrowed lightly, her gaze swimming with a variety of feelings as she looked upon the pillar of the Basin. “You’ll fill it. The Basin will be strong again, powerful. I hope despite all this I can still keep a good relationship with you and everyone in it.” Her voice shook, faltering. Her body felt heavy as her hooves stretched out, stepping toward Deimos, extending her pale muzzle out to gently press it against his neck for a moment as a goodbye. “Thank you for all of this, Deimos.” It came out as a whisper as she stepped away from him. “I’ll never forget it.” She added in, a sorrowful look cast his way as a small smile was attempted to try and lighten the goodbye until she turned and headed to her cave, to gather her things and her family before beginning the journey to the Edge.

"Talk."
And like the sea—
Rexanna
image | coding

@Deimos @Hotaru ;-; <3