the Rift

[OPEN] following the leader

Vastra Posts: 58
Dragon's Throat Filly
Filly :: Pegasus :: 16.3 wfg :: 1 year
Sarah

Just like that, in a rush of moments, her family was back and young Vastra still had not riddled out how she should feel about it - every time she saw her mother and brother she felt a rush of confusion. They were back, yes, but they had still left. Or, in Castor’s case, been trapped in an endless cycle of accidentally missing each other while they were both on the hunt. And then there was the whole father thing which she just didn’t even want to think about right now because it was a lot to take in. She knew of her father - Megaera would hardly raise them on the knowledge that she was their only parent - but he had been a ghostly figure for her for so long. And now he was flesh and blood.

But while her emotions regarding her parents were unsettled, she couldn’t remain annoyed with her brother for very long.

Partly because he was still her only friend, and she had a lot that she wanted to share with him that she had discovered during their preparation, but mostly because he wouldn’t leave her alone anyway.

“C’mon Cas.” She reached out to tug on his downy wings with her muzzle before moving off. “I wanna show you something!!” Unlike the last time they went exploring, she had learned (eventually) to keep her muzzle out of things she wasn’t sure about. Took the spines of a sea urchin and the prickles of a thistle for her to finally understand, sure, but it was all part of her exploring.

Lately, she had been keeping a safe distance. But while she had been exploring, she had discovered a den. In the rocky parts of the Throat to the south, she had stumbled across them - the manticore and her family. So far as she had seen, there was just the one and two… kits? Cubs? What were they even called when they were that small?

But she wasn’t taking Castor to see them because hey, what were the chances Castor would keep quiet and not spook them? She didn't want to find out the hard way why the manticores hunted using their long stinger tails.

So instead they travelled east toward the sea, where the soft sand that nearly matched Vastra’s coat. She didn’t stop once she reached the surf but trampled in a few feet until the water swelled around her knees, the sunlight shining on the surface around them. Her dark eyes look for her twin and her voice was quiet as she spoke. “You gotta be quiet for a moment but they’ll come.” They always did, those brightly coloured hippocamps that seemed to like to play just as much as their larger cousins.

image by Smithers

@Castor

Castor Posts: 17
Absent Abyss
Colt :: Pegasus :: 17 h (wfg) :: Three Seasons
Laine

Holy spitballs, life is so totally heckin weird!!! Like, are you feeling this nonsense? Zero said I had to learn how to be ~responsible~ but how the hell an I supposed to do that with all the crazy shit I have had to deal with in my short and incredibly tender and juicy life. Dad was totally the weirdest thing about it right now, like have you seen him? The man is terrifying, and HUGE! Way bigger than mom. And I dunno, he always seemed like such a not-actual thing and now he’s here and I guess we’re leaving now? How even is my child brain and juvenile emotional base supposed to process this?!

Answer: not thinking about it. Flip switch! Something heavy weighing on your mind? Toss it the hell out and have some fun! This is definitely a good practice. I shall adopt it now and keep it in my life forever and ever amen.

When Vastra pulled at my wings, I follow. No-fuckin-duh! I ain’t letting that girl out of my sight for a while. A though passes through my brain, thinking i should suggest we find dad and stick with him whilee mom goes off to get her stuff or something…. I wave at that thought as it passes by and follow Vastra to the beach. SCORE! I friggin luuurve the beach, hands down favorite landscape, 11/10 would splash in waves. 

"So what are go going to see? A rock? A really cool rock? A fish? A….” I kept up offering guesses while we walked, pausing between each to consider a new option and continuing until we had waded into the surf up to our knees. Without hesitating (because life is too short, shorty!) I lift my front to splash in the shallows. It just makes such a fun plunking noise I just… UGHHH SO FUN!

Alas, my beloved killjoy shuts me up and OH MAN does it kill me to stand still but i have two very important questions before managing to zip it: “How long to we have to wait?! WHO’LL COME?!” super stealthy whisper, so hush, much quiet, wow.

Ok Vastra said quiet so i’ll be the quietest person EVER! 

Three…two….one….

“Hey Vasa…” ok, better at whispering this time, maybe cause I actually have something important to say. I try to meet her calm brown eyes (so pretty, like you’re think calm would be boring but really it’s not too bad, not on her) "I really missed you. Sorry I got suck and lost you…”

image by Smithers

@Vastra
FLECTERE SI NEQUEO SUPEROS, ACHERONTA MOVEBO
if I cannot move heaven I will raise hell
:: permission given for use of magic and force :: please tag Castor in all posts ::