the Rift

[PRIVATE] Wandering Roots

Nephele Posts: 82
Dragon's Throat Guardian atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 7.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.3 :: 7 HP: 64.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Atreus :: Lammergeier :: None Nova

While pregnancy had been something Neph hadn't wanted to meet again for many seasons, it seemed mother nature had other idea's, and had thrown the warrioress once more into the budding arms of motherhood once more. Her body, which she had worked tirelessly to trim and regain after the birth of Verro and Tasokh, the hours she had painstakingly ran until her breath was ragged and her muscled heaved from training in the arena was once more derailed.

She was once more soft and round, her sides heavy with children by a stallion she hadn't even thought to ask the name of. It had only meant to be something of a fun gambit, stoking the flames and enjoying the benefits. Nothing long term, nothing serious, definitely no foals. Most of all, definitely not twins. She had endured enough with her daughters to know her bursting sides were home to two bouncing bundles of joy and mischief. How she could box that ginger stallion right in the mouth with a good left hoof, if she hadn't maintained some semblance of dignity as hormones and late nights she spent quietly grumbling to her swelling sides for just five minutes, she just might've scoured the four corners of Helovia to do it. Instead, she left the safety of the Throat to enjoy the last warmth and good grazing the mainland had to offer, before the snows and ice blew in from the northern regions.

The Labrinyth wasn't a place she visited often, now and again she had spied it as she flew over the land on her patrols, it hadn't struck her as a place of particular note, as did most of the Rift brought lands — maybe it was time to change that and enjoy the lands so many had fought to cleanse. Her hooves touched down with considerably less grace than she remembered, the long strands of ebony and fire-orange which coiled down in knot and waves were next with their salt kissed tassels to touch upon the verdant greenery before her front hooves joined them. Velvet ears flicked back and forth as her dual coloured eyes searched for any signs of intruders as she navigated toward the grassy banks of the nearby pool, picking at a stray shoot or two as she did.

Her sides ached terribly, punctuated by the occasional press of a small hoof to misshape the curved sides as the babes within shifted and responded to her. They seemed more steady when she was on the ground, she noted, rather than in the air like her daughters had been when she took to the skies. A disgruntled sigh escaped her lips, a hoof cocked to the side with the change of weight as she shifted to stand in the pools waters. "If I ever find you, you are so dead." She found herself whispering in an uttered note of exhausted irritation.

talk talk talk

Nephele
Love,
 my territory of kisses and volcanoes

image | coding

@Aelfwine

“She was beautiful, but she was beautiful in the way a forest fire was beautiful: something to be admired from a distance, not up close.” 

― Terry Pratchett
Please tag Neph in all replies!
Force & violence permitted with the exception of maiming & death

Aelfwine Posts: 101
Dragon's Throat Warrior atk: 4 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 6 years HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Vanya :: Common Cerndyr :: Lamplight Skylark
Relieve my elegant mind,
For learning how to figure out the sneak ranks, Aelfwine wasn’t very sneaky. She did her best to try and gather information, but more often than not, she found that her wandering heart and mind took her to places far from where she imagined she should be – at least for trying to attain information. When there were large events going on, she often found herself on the opposite side of Helovia, hearing about them during the aftermath. And that surely wouldn’t do if that was truly your job.

Or maybe she was great at being in the wrong place at the right time?

As she wandered through a variety of greens and large bamboo stalks, she let her emerald gaze dance across each one in search of something that seemed off. There was a fair share of very colorful creatures here, and Aelfwine did her best to not be jealous of such colorings. She was quite monochromatic, herself. A mix of greys, whites, and blacks, and it didn’t make for a striking sight. It was nothing like the colors she remembered on Graasvoel with his striking gaze among his pale face. Jealousy found its way her heart at such things – but when she looked upon the beautiful face of her niece and the friends she had made along the way, it helped to push the greed away.

When she stepped near a pond and spotted a Pegasus woman among the waters, she offered her a bright smile – completely oblivious to the body language the mare was giving off. “Hello!” She called out, waiting in her steps as her heavy horned head rose with a brilliant innocent smile. Oh, if only she knew.

"Talk."
come on, come on —
let the warmth close your eyes.
aelfwine
image | coding

@Nephele

Perhaps pregnancy had dulled her senses more than she realized, or more reasonably, she was busy lamenting her current state that she'd completely missed the approach of the Unicorn until she had spoke. Dual coloured eyes flickered toward the mare in a curious but guarded manner, wings pulled closer to her all too swollen sides. The mare's cheery disposition is an offset to her thunderclouds and dark skies.

As she opened her maw to reply, her gaze caught the familiar marking and a streak of cream and starling ginger flooded her mind. The stag had the same kind of marking, just in another place. Could it be? An ear flicked back and then forward again as a hundred different questions, comments and remarks wanted to fly from his mouth. Instead, she forced a steady breath and willed her feathers to smooth out against her wings. "You remind me of someone I met." She stated calmly, her head tilted to the side. "Do you know a stag who has the same marking as that?" Wings giving a pointed flick toward the tree marking the doe wore. She suspected, but she couldn't out rightly know after all, many had markings that were similar but were not blood related in these lands. "Ginger, cream mane and tail." The last bit tacked on for clarity.

talk talk talk

Nephele
Love,
 my territory of kisses and volcanoes

image | coding

@Aelfwine

“She was beautiful, but she was beautiful in the way a forest fire was beautiful: something to be admired from a distance, not up close.” 

― Terry Pratchett

Relieve my elegant mind,
The mare didn’t seem too annoyed to be bothered by the dappled doe, and so she edged a bit closer. She did, however, note the difference in her body language (for once). Her feathers ruffled slightly, her wings pulling tight to her sides as if to hide something. However, she did her best to pretend to ignore it. And instead of a typical “hello” in return, as she expected, her brows began to furrow a fraction as the mare began to speak of her reminding the unnamed mare of someone. Tossing her head slightly, she moved the charcoal forelock from her emerald eyes to look upon the mare easier.

And soon, the mare wasn’t done speaking either. She nudged a wing in her direction, toward her rump where the tree marking stood tall and stark in contrast to the dappled hide she bore. Right when she was about to speak, the mare added in even more information. It was hard, at first, for the mare to figure out just which sibling of hers she was talking about. Was it Tuppence? Was it Tilney? Her niece Maude, even? Her lips formed a slight frown until the mare answered with more details. At first, Aelfwine nodded. “Yes, I know someone like that. Why do you ask?” She questioned, tilting her crowned head.

Taking a few steps closer, she stopped near the edge of the water – where it met the earth at her cloven feet. Her emerald gaze sticking to the Pegasus mare with a supreme curiosity. What would the mare want to know of her brother? Did she need help? Did she know that Tilney was a Moon Doctor? Was that what this was all about? Perhaps the young woman was a bit distracted by her wandering and upbringing to learn what pregnancy looked like.

"Talk."
come on, come on —
aelfwine
image | coding

@Nephele

made not with love but glory, and the haunting ghost of war

When the dappled doe confirmed, with an undeniable amount of wariness that she knew someone of her description, her odd eyes lit up. Naturally, the mare was guarded, from what she could tell. She did not give the same of the ginger stag, and had been quick to question why she had asked. Would she be the same? probably, if a stranger approached her asking for a specific person they may or may not know. Nephele had to give her that, even if it did put a wall between her getting from point a to point b and earned a small snort from the dark pelted mare.

As she came closer, her natural instincts fueled with the volatile emotions of her pregnancy flared. She wanted to pin her ears against her sooty hair and stamp a powerful hind leg. She caught herself in time though, this might just be the only chance she would have to track down the father of her unborn children. The feathers smoothed themselves back into their place and she forced herself to relax, she'd rather not have to chase the grey mare half-way across the land pregnant if she bolted now.

"Because, I'm searching to let him know he is going to be a father." She responded with a thin line for her lips, Nephele hadn't exactly gambled on being pregnant again after their little heated exchange, unfortunately mother nature had other plans. Her swollen barrel heaved with a sigh before her wings spread out and upwards, so the antlered woman could see just how large she was. It wouldn't be long now before they came into the world, and this would more than likely one of the last handful of days she would spend on the mainland before she returned to the Dragon's Throat to give birth.

"I think it's twins." She added after a moment, to further punctuate the importance of finding the stag. She was just as large as she had been when she had Verro and Tasokh, and she'd seen soon-to-be mothers who had only one foal, and they had been much much smaller. No it was twins, again. Not to mention, she aimed to keep up her tradition of naming her children based upon their fathers. Gaucho's children had been named in his tongue, and she had a funny inkling this ginger lad with a lantern in his tines wasn't exactly the type to name his children in a fashion similar to what she, nor her previous children, were named.

talk talk talk

N E P H E L E

@aelfwine

― Terry Pratchett

Relieve my elegant mind,
’Because, I’m searching to let him know he is going to be a father.’

She wanted to laugh. Tilney, a father to children that didn’t come from Arah? It seemed highly unlikely. The Moon Doctor was a man of morals – he had Maude at home to prove that. Would he stoop so low as to sleep with a stranger with the possibility of it turning into something else? At least when she slept with someone, she got their name just in case something like this happened. Granted, she loathed the idea, but loved simple pleasures far more. Her ears perked to Nephele and she watched the mare with mirrored emerald eyes of Tilney’s, amusement sparking beneath them.

Aelfwine wanted to ask if the mare was sure, but she lifted her wings from the water to show the round belly, large with life, talking of twins. Immediately her gaze widened some, wondering if Tilney had done such a devilish deed. She refrained from snorting and instead lifted her heavy crowned head, her compass sliding across her spotted neck from the movement. “Oh.” It seemed all she could say at the moment. She stood, still as a statue as she looked upon the mare with bright eyes. “The man you speak of, his name is Tilney. Ginger, tree marking up the leg, lantern? If he is the right man, first of all I need to speak with him immediately.” Her voice took on a disapproving tone, much like a mother’s voice as she reprimanded her children before she calmed down. “If you’re sure he is the father, he should know.” She paused, head tilting in wonder if the woman had told the man anything or if she even knew where to find him.

The dappled doe wouldn’t give that kind of information out immediately, though. She’d give the woman his name, but not where to find him. Aelfwine would have to be the one that told him – to at least make sure it was true. “Do you have names picked out?” She asked, softer this time as she shifted her weight on her cloven hooves.

"Talk."
come on, come on —
aelfwine
image | coding

@Nephele

made not with love but glory, and the haunting ghost of war

Neph might've shared the humor if she knew the man, or if it was someone else that was pregnant, not her. Unfortunately, it wasn't funny for her because yet again, she found herself carrying foals that their father hadn't know existed. At least this stallion wasn't dead, she grumbled to herself internally, there was still a chance for this one to at least know. If he wanted nothing to do with the children, that was also fine, she'd raised twins on her own, she could do it again.

Tilney, so that was his name? She hadn't exactly tried to predict the stallion's name, and to be honest, she had expected it to be vastly different to her own and many of the Throat's. The dappled doe described him perfectly, there wasn't much she could really add on. Tilney was the father of her children, what more could you say than that? "Yes he had a lantern on his antlers, tree marking, ginger with flaxen hair. He had eyes the colour of a spring meadow, if you're the poetic type." She added with a snorted laugh, her wings once more wrapped snuggly around her enlarged barrel. "I'm not in the business of putting it about and getting pregnant on the fly, if that's what you mean by if I'm sure. He is the father, there's no one else who could be."

The unicorn then asked her if she'd thought of names for them, and she turned her head to glance at her hidden stomach. "No, I haven't." She admitted, an ear tilted back and into her dark locks. "There is a tradition in my family, where children are named by their fathers. If the father cannot be there, they're given names in line with their father, my daughters were named in their father's tongue, and it will be the same for these." Nephele stated matter-of-factly, after this she'd been a mother of four and honestly, two had been exhausting enough. Whoever made a lifestyle of being a glorified foal-cannon would forever baffle her.

"Unfortunately, I haven't any idea of fitting names that go with Tilney. This is my last visit to the mainland, before I go back to the Dragon's Throat to give birth." This was her last chance to find the ginger stag, and while she had found out his name and a possibly family member, she was no closer really than she had been before.

talk talk talk

N E P H E L E

@aelfwine

― Terry Pratchett

Relieve my elegant mind,
She listened to the pegasus speak, willing to listen to whatever words she had to say. Whether it was good or not, Aelfwine was used to being a wall. She was able to listen and not take anything too close to her heart. But the mare had confirming words – speaking of Tilney as though she could see him right there. Slowly, the dappled mare nodded, her heavy ashen antlers swinging through the air gently. Then, a snort, and another rebuttal. All Aelfwine could do was simply offer the mare a small shrug. “It’s just weird to me, honestly. He doesn’t seem the type to bang and leave.” She added in, her head swiveling away from the mare for a few moments. “That’s more my style – but if he knew that he’d be so upset.” She offered the mare a light hearted laugh and a wink.

Just gives me fuel to be mad at him now. So thanks for that.” She added on. “Oh, and he’s my brother so don’t think you’re stepping on any boundaries.’At least none on my end. Arah on the other hand was a completely different story.’ She thought to herself, finding the courage to put the idea aside for the time being – not wanting to express her thoughts to the mare. And as she spoke of family traditions, she felt her body gravitate closer to the mare, entering the water a small amount until it reached her knees (while still giving Nephele a good amount of space). “I’m not the father, obviously, but I can offer names for you. I’m not sure he’d be able to make it there immediately when they’re born.” Her lips formed a small tight line.

She shifted her weight again, her ashen tail danced across her hips briefly as she lowered her lips to the water, taking a small amount of it to drink as she thought over names. “For boys, I think some good names might be Byron and Jude. As for girls, I can only think of one name. Carlisle.” She spoke matter-of-factly as she looked at Nephele. “So let’s hope one of them is a boy, at least.” She added with another wink.

I will let him know, if that’s what you wish for. You’ll be in the Dragon’s Throat? What is your name?” She questioned calmly and quietly. “I’m Aelfwine, for reference.” She noted as a second thought. The idea of being an aunt again seemed hard to believe, and while it was exciting, the dappled doe didn’t want to get her hopes up.

"Talk."
come on, come on —
aelfwine
image | coding

@Nephele