[PRIVATE] Burning house

Tae Posts: 133
Dragon's Throat Alchemist atk: 7.0 | def: 10 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2 :: 2 HP: 72.5 |
Mal :: Timber Wolf :: Terrorize & Hel :: Royal Hellhound :: Hellfire Odd

tae
,eivom kcochctiH a fo dne eht m'I
gnivieced tol a dna krad elttil A

Furious was currently the most apt adjective to describe Tae’s current state. She was furious that her Father had died and left her with only a few years of his instructions and wisdom, furious that her cloak had been stolen (and yes of course it had been stolen. She wasn’t a forgetful child, and never would she have left such a precious article (both precious because of who gave it to her and precious because of its enchantments)) to the wayside where just any old hag could pick it up. Besides, her wolves would have never let her forget it even if she had, hypothetically left it somewhere. 

But most of all, she was furious that she still didn’t have a job to do. When her Father led, the Throat was industrious, or so it appeared to her. She had expressed interest to become a warrior - had even started sparring on her own - and where had that gotten her? Nothing in the eyes of their Sultana or their gladiator, but at least Volterra was around to see her efforts, even if he didn’t. She had also considered becoming a healer … The position was just as powerful as warrior, if wielded the right way. And hadn’t her father been able to heal during the latter part of his life? But no, despite her apparently hectic schedule as Sultana (what else could explain her constant absences?), apparently only Sikeax was able to train new healers. Gods forbid they let their God and fiery deity bestow upon those he chose to bless with magic...no, Sikeax their Sultana surely knew what was best. 

And the bitterness with which she formed that thought made her laugh a harsh, guttural sound. Even thinking the words made her furious. She was Gaucho’s daughter, the little ghost, and child of one of the strongest mares in all of Helovia. Who was Sikeax, even with a crown on her head placed there by a God, to turn her away?

But it was only that - only her unwavering loyalty to the Sun God that stayed herself from the reckless actions that flitted in her mind. So instead she channeling her energy to destroying a cactus that had the unfortunate business of being in her way. 

Image Credits

Ampere The Mother of Companions Posts: 719
Dragon's Throat Sultana atk: 9 | def: 11 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 hh :: 6 years HP: 73 | Buff: DANCE
Kygo :: Green Cheek Conure :: None Blu
Are you ready for
The perfect storm

Tuor was sheathed with a quick, aggressive motion. His metal slid out of sight with a wink, the viewing plane cut off from Ampere’s critical gaze. Her efforts thus far to find the missing cloak had been futile; how do you find something when its very nature is to remain unseen?

It was a question that had been bothering her more and more as the days wore on, because it made her wonder, just how had this thief known to take the cloak at all? Yes, a thief, of that she was sure. Maybe if this had been under Gaucho’s reign, if her daughter had been younger, she wouldn’t have sided so strongly with the little ghost’s firm remarks that it wasn’t lost. That wasn’t the case though- Tae was grown, and Gaucho was dead.

Gaucho was dead, and the herd was weak.

He had been an impressive stallion in countless ways, but his prowess as a lead was something else entirely. He had patrolled the lands relentlessly, chasing down any possible threat with a ruthlessness sure to last in their memory. If something of his, somehow, was taken- he hunted it down like a man possessed.
That, or he used his herd. Gaucho was only one horse after all, and for all his god’s favor, he couldn’t have done everything he did alone. That’s what made him the Sultan of legend, what left his mark on the land long after his body had cooled. The Wildfire raised up his kin, appointing a strong lead to govern beside him, and a full deck of ranks to keep watch below him.

Meanwhile Ampere couldn’t even find a goddamn healer to mend the ache Megaera had left in her side since their fight.

Maybe the question then wasn’t what thief took the cloak, but what member of their herd didn’t stop it? Ampere hadn’t seen a member of their sneak rank in ages, which might have meant they were doing a good job if not for the proof otherwise. Still, she saw their sneaks more than she saw Sikeax.

She’d hoped the mare would prove her initial thoughts wrong - had wanted to believe the Sun God saw something more in her than Ampere could, if she’d just have faith. If there had been anything better in Sikeax though, the bright flames of the God’s attention must have scorched it out of her, because Ampere only saw the burnt remains of a herd that once blazed wild, now grown dead and empty as ash.

Contemptuous, Ampere was returning to the Throat after her futile search, angling down when she spotted her daughter. The thoughts still rankled inside her as she landed near the ghost, so she had little to offer in way of calming advice when she gazed at her clearly enraged child. She should be angry, Ampere thought with a bitter snarl.

"We’ll find it," she reassured after a moment of contemplation, but her tone suggested that wasn’t the entire solution. Ampere didn’t doubt they’d find it, but she wondered, would that be enough?

A M P E R E
HALO OF COLD HAIR & _LIGHTNING

schwartz.deviantart.com

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Aithniel the Inquisitor Posts: 169
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4.0
Mare :: Tribrid :: 15.0hh :: 4 Years HP: 75 | Buff: NOVICE
Zerachiel :: Royal Griffin :: Molten Dagger tamme

The sun set and her rage rose, building in her chest like the very flames she controlled. Aithniel’s ashen exterior shivered with the weight of her anger, tail flicking around her hocks like a wild snake. Mousy lips were curled back from her ivory teeth, and she stalked with purpose toward the Dragon’s Throat. Her current mood was not fit for the serenity and peacefulness of flying. She wanted to feel the sand churn beneath her cloven hooves and the weight of her body impact with each step. The rhythmic motion helped settle her rage to a whisper - like a geyser beneath ice.

As the island came into view - Gaucho’s island, she felt her soul twist. No patrols circled the skies. She remembered coming here when she was a child with Rikyn and Erebos, and there had always been at least one patrol. Where were they now? Did they even have a schedule anymore? Did anyone know that they should be patrolling? Aithniel sure didn’t. She hadn’t seen their so-called leader since her inauguration. Even at the time, she had been quite salty that a healer had been chosen as the leader of a nation of warriors.

A healer wasn’t fit for the title of Sultana. Gaucho made sure that his mantle was set in the ways of war, and she followed him in that passion. The Throat hadn’t been a symbol of strength and fortification because they gathered damn plants and healed people. No! The Throat was the longest lived empire because Gaucho forced the herd to work and kept them safe with the sweat of his brow and the blood from his body.

Where was the healer’s sacrifice? Where even was she?

Perhaps because the Sun God was her father, she could recognize the fallibility even in her idol. He had bigger issues than herd struggles, and Sikeax had been around previously. Aithniel remembered her from the Rift wars, and the healer had been there to do her job. Obviously leading was not on her list of skills.

The sun child ground her teeth and launched herself into the air, flying toward two faces she recognized. Ampere and Tae. Both of them knew Gaucho well, and she had to believe that they were as unhappy as she was. Ampere was a warrior and Tae seemed to be as well - at least from what little she saw. Wait… hadn’t Tae been wearing a pelt before?

Aithniel landed and approached without hesitation, frowning when she saw Tae. “What happened to your pelt? And where are the patrols?” she asked, her tone not in the least bit accusing. She sounded forcefully confused. “I do not know what goes on in the Dragon’s Throat now, but I do not like it.” She paused, mulling over her words. “I am going to do something about it,” she said finally after a deep breath. “My father will not see his herd fall to ruin.”

Aithniel
standing on pillars of fire
LadyPerfume @ Da

But burn down our home
I won't leave alive

Please tag me in everything!

Tae Posts: 133
Dragon's Throat Alchemist atk: 7.0 | def: 10 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2 :: 2 HP: 72.5 |
Mal :: Timber Wolf :: Terrorize & Hel :: Royal Hellhound :: Hellfire Odd

tae
,eivom kcochctiH a fo dne eht m'I
gnivieced tol a dna krad elttil A

As her mother landed, hope flickered in Tae’s pale gaze. However there was no pelt draped over her mother’s muscular back, no smile on her face. No hope at all. Tae’s body ghosted-apart as it was want to do when her emotions ran high, only now that she was no longer a filly, the effect was much more dramatic as there was more body to bleed away. For once, the girl was glad that her twin wasn’t here. Grusha only served to fuel the fires of her mind and soul, and this was one time Tae suspected she needed to remain calm and rational. Something was very wrong in the Throat, and despite her relative  newness to the world of the adults, she had always been a watchful child, and knew that without the strength of someone like her Father, they would have to be smart. Only Gaucho could get away with that sort of emotionally-charged decision making, because he had the brawn to back it up. And the herd, she thought angrily, ears against her skull. But maybe we have that too…

Tae nodded glumly, meaning to say more, but suddenly Aithniel was with them. The mandible-marked mare’s body whisped away again, making her look fully ghost, as the demi-goddess joined them. Tae felt a sort of bizarre reverence for the ashen mare. She was after all the daughter of the God to whom Tae professed her fealty, but Aithniel was impressive on her own. She would have been even more so, had Tae known the two were actually half-sisters.

“Stolen.” Tae breathed, ghostly white eyes unflinching in this judgement. My father will not see his herd fall to ruin At this, a grim smile spread across Tae’s features and she nodded, looking to Ampere. “Nor mine.” she growled, her smile turning into a wolfish snarl. A few feet away, her wolf and hellhound companions snarled as well - feeling the bloodlust stirring within Tae through their mental bond.

“Your Father placed the healer where she is now-” Tae began, hearing the criticism in Aithniel’s tone, but not wanting to implicate the mare’s Father in what she was about to say. “But not all rise to the places they are offered. What has the healer done since her promotion, other than promote an outsider, the father of her child, to of our most prized rolls? Where are our patrols? Our sleuths? My pelt would not be gone if the healer had done more than just take her prize and hide away.” Tae’s words were like steel, despite the warbling insecurities she felt. “I said I wanted to be a warrior - like my Father - but did anyone take notice? Take advantage of someone who actually wants to do something around here? But no. Our warriors do nothing and yet I am excluded from their ranks.” Tae cast a glance towards Ampere. She … hadn’t exactly told her mother any of this. She’d been sparring on her own, and while she was going to ask her mother for aid, time had seemingly grown short. “And healers? One would think a Sultana who was a former healer would feel a kinship with the rank she left, but all she has done is selfishly leave those ranks vacant.” Train under the Sultana to be a healer? How many years would that take?

“Everything the Throat has worked for has come undone. Our roster is fat, our ranks lazy, our borders vulnerable.”

Image Credits

Ampere The Mother of Companions Posts: 719
Dragon's Throat Sultana atk: 9 | def: 11 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 hh :: 6 years HP: 73 | Buff: DANCE
Kygo :: Green Cheek Conure :: None Blu
Are you ready for
The perfect storm

Ampere’s mouth ran dry as she watched her child’s magic transform her. She felt responsible, and the continued absence of it drove home the failure. No matter how old her daughter became, Ampere would always be her mother, and in that role it was her duty to protect her little ghost. This time it had been a pelt, but what if next time it was Tae herself? If Ampere couldn’t even protect her daughter’s things, much less find them and return them, how would she ever do the same for Tae herself?

Of course Ampere knew she couldn’t always be around, that was the whole point in giving Tae the pelt in the first place, but facing the reality of that truth, as she was now, was never easy. If Ampere had been doing her job, patrolling instead of mourning, would she have spotted the specter sneaking in?

Why hadn’t the Gladiator yelled at her yet? Why hadn’t anyone shaken her from her misery. Was it really an attempt at kindness, giving her the space and the time to heal, or was it just as a combined apathy that would gradually swallow them all whole- the herd that sunk into despair and broke off into the ocean. Poetic, but not desireable. So Ampere returned back to anger, the only force strong enough to overshadow her grief, a sensation that was still present inside her, settled into the marrow of her bones that worked within the muscles of her rage.

About to speak, Ampere stilled as she turned her head and watched the descent of Aithniel upon them, the girl visibly seething, which surprised Ampere. She still didn’t know much about the Sun’s daughter, and as always felt that prickling, nagging worry that this might be her daughter too as she traced the stout lines and the golden markings that suggested familiarity. Again, Ampere pushed the thought away, too uncertain to take the leap into acceptance, too modest to assume. Still, whatever she did or didn’t know about Aithniel, she was startled to see such willingness from the girl when it came to bearing her frustrations to barely known horses. Sure, they were family (because they were herd), but that made it all the more precarious when you were complaining about family to itself.

Ampere, being the more mature mare present, ought to have moved to calm them both. As a mother, as a prior Sultana, as their recent Chancellor, she ought to have soothed their troubles. Yet Ampere hadn’t built a reputation upon calming situations, quite the opposite.

Besides, the girls weren’t wrong.

So instead Ampere flicked into life, a brightness entering her gaze as she stepped closer to the two, her breath soft between them, but lined with a hard edge of suggestion. "There is something we can do about this." She skipped dancing around the cactus bushes. It was evident to her they were already speaking the same language, and the time was upon them; plus she’d rather pull Aithniel under her wing now than let the girl run off and spout similar frustrations to an ear that would be less forgiving. "We are capable of seizing the ranks which are precious to this herd and most capable of re-definining it." She paused, glancing at them both with a seriousness and tact she didn’t often afford.

"If we want the Throat to return as it was, we must be willing to fight for it… literally." Here she glanced specifically at her child. Tae’s profession of wanting to join the warrior ranks did not surprise her, and unlike Ampere reaction towards Zekle whom was her… special son, she had no qualms about Tae becoming a soldier. If anything she felt that pang of guilt as Tae complained about the lack of warrior participation, Ampere again feeling as if she’d let her daughter down, and now the rest of the herd. Something definitely needed to be set straight around here.

"Challenge Sikeax for her title. Just because the Sun appointed her does not mean she holds it forever. The Sun favors the strong, so if Sikeax cannot defend her own rank, clearly she cannot defend the herd." Now Ampere was looking at Aithniel, aware that the demi-goddess knew the Sun better than anyone. Was she wrong? "He saw something in Sikeax, so the herd has stood behind that decision. Trying to take her from her role may upset some- those who would continue to believe in the Sun’s choice. We must be prepared for their outrage." Ampere exhaled gently, thinking of Maren. "Sikeax has served this herd for years. I respected her as a healer; she helped me a few times. I think the Sun saw that too, but she hasn’t been able to rise to her new role." She didn’t seem to have the sense to step down from it either, but pride was a funny thing. Maybe this challenge would be a blessing for them all. Still, Ampere hoped Sikeax could see it like that, and return to the post she excelled at.

"We have to watch her warriors though. If they’re decent, they’ll step in to protect her." Two of her warriors were already in this meeting, and some were too lazy to bother, but Ampere wasn’t sure about their gladiator.

A long pause then, because Ampere knew she wasn’t in fighting condition to aid in this plan. She didn’t mind the idea that someone else would do what she had been thinking about. She wasn’t wanting to wrest Sikeax from the throne for glory. Ampere just wanted to serve the herd, serve Gaucho’s memory.

"I’ve not seen a healer since my last fight. We have none…” She tried not to sound bitter as she trailed off. "I could probably still take Sikeax in this state, but my experience may best serve us if I hold off the Gladiator.” She certainly wasn’t afraid of fighting in a broken condition, but it was vital they be successful. If they were going to do this, they needed to ensure they could complete their plan, or else they’d be ousted.

A M P E R E
HALO OF COLD HAIR & _LIGHTNING

schwartz.deviantart.com

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.