the Rift

[PRIVATE] ghost lights

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

When your eyes open that night, the moon dark behind the winter clouds, her light refusing to guide your decisions, there is a dancing blue sprite in front of your nose. It vanishes with an odd, playful noise. Should you choose to pursue it, you will find a trail of them, leading you onward into the night. Never quite within reach. Always disappearing right as you go to grasp it. Do you continue your search onward into the vast valley of greenery? Do your shackles clank against one another, holding you to the earth you have come to? Is your curiosity enough to drive you onward or are you afraid? Weary? Broken?

But the wisps sing a gentle siren song, encouraging wayfairers and vagabonds up onto tired hooves to pursue the gifts they promise at the end of their bobbing, gleaming trail. Will it be enough to draw you onward? Will you follow them as they whisper snatches of secrets in your ears before they blink out of existence? Magic and splendor and happiness. Riches that have driven kings to madness and widows to murder. But they are gentle and kind, and would never lead you astray they promise.

Just follow us, follow us, follow us.

For Mesec only. Others may join if Mesec so chooses.

Image Credits

@Mesec

Mesec the Nightwind Posts: 476
World's Edge Glazier atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 16.3hh :: 7 years old HP: 76 | Buff: NOVICE
Lucius :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Lyra :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams Sarah

They had wandered south of the Edge, him and Vesper, taking a small trip to see if they could find Virga. Apparently his twins had a habit of going off on adventures and though that didn’t really make Mesec feel any better about not knowing where the little colt had gone, it was mildly comforting to know that it wasn’t inherently strange. He remembered wandering away from his father as a colt too - the world of Helovia offering no shortage of things to visit and see.

In the chill of the night, he had found a protected spot where they could lie for a time - his silver-lined wing draped over his daughter to keep her warm. He hadn’t known his eyes had drifted close until they opened to see the bright blue sprite before his nose. Silver eyes widened in surprise then, all traces of sleep vanishing in a moment. “Look, Vesper.” He quietly nudged her with his muzzle to wake her so she might see this wisp of magic - and then it disappeared.

But the chime of it did not and Mesec understood that all he had to do was follow it to see where it might lead.

He was already standing carefully and taking a tentative step to follow when he spoke again. “Do you think we should follow it?” He asked his daughter with a smile - even though it didn’t feel right that Virga wasn’t there with them. Surely his son would like to see this just as much as she did.

But for now there was nothing he could do about that and though he felt wary about the lights and where they might lead them, he also felt braver because of the presence of the small silver and black filly. Maybe it would be okay if they went together.

Oh, I see stars rushing through my mind, colours have no time to fade
Oh, I found out there's another side where the sea and sky collide

artwork by Nikkayla

-screaming-

@Vesper can join <3
please tag Mesec in replies
non-life threatening force is allowed at all times

Vesper Posts: 46
World's Edge Filly
Filly :: Tribrid :: 14.3hh :: Two
Everly :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Kiki

Frostfall felt familiar to me a in a way that none of the other seasons did.  I had no way of knowing that I’d been born in the endless winter - the winter that had refused to release its hold on Helovia for nearly twice as long as was was considered normal.  My childhood had been spent amongst snow drifts and leaves encased in ice.  The winter seemed to bleed into Birdsong too, especially north in the Basin.  It wasn’t really until the full heat of Tallsun that I experienced the true changing of the seasons and experienced just how much the world could change. And venturing south with Papa and Virga? Well, it was overwhelming to say the very least, but in the best way. There was just so much to see.  So when Frostfall came again, and snow fell again across Helovia, it was a profound comfort.

I found I quite enjoyed exploring with even though now that Virga and I had had our first birthday, we were old enough to spend more time on our own now.  I know it made Papa nervous when we went too far - and whenever Virga was too far it made me nervous too - so I was eager to leave the Edge earlier this morning. But after a day of wandering, and no sign of her brother, Papa and I found a warm spot to sleep for the night - under the stars just like we had before we’d made the Edge home.  

Papa’s voice is what pulled me from sleep from where I lay curled up against his side - tucked away under his large wing.  I blinked furiously in an effort to clear the sleep from my eyes and the fog from my mind as I struggled to understand what it was that Papa was even saying.  ”Mmm? Follow what?” I asked, confused, looking up at Papa with still groggy, silver eyes. I wasn’t sure what Papa had seen, but there was certainly nothing there now.  Papa seemed to be intent to follow something and it was all I could do to keep from pouting when the warmth from his wing was gone and he had found his feet. 

But then I could hear it and in the span of a single heartbeat, I, too, was scrambling to find my feet. “Oh! Oh! Yes! I think we should,” I managed, in a still groggy voice that was tinged with excitement, peeking around Papa just in time to see one of the lights flicker and disappear. I pressed myself against his side, both excited and apprehensive about the mysterious lights, before peering up at him - waiting to see what he did before moving any closer to what I knew had to be magic.

V E S P E R
image credit

@Mesec

Please tag Vesper in every post.
Force and magic are permitted, but please check before inflicting serious injury.

image credit

Helovian Ancient

The flickering lights are not for the child, but little wisps enchant and coo over the little one as it plods eagerly alongside the chosen one. They whisper and giggle into the child's ears, encouraging her to watch the unraveling fate of her father. The larger lantern lights continued to sing their siren song at Mesec, humming and twinkling in the dark of the night. Down to the waters, the moonlight dancing across its surface. The embodiment of the stallion's mother, and they lead him onward down to the snowy beach, the shallow water that awaits him.

The light wavered at the very edge of the water, flickering and jolting in place. The song of the lantern lights died down, until only the singular royal blue orb floated in front of Mesec. A phantom voice reached out, audible to both dark bodies in audience, sounding like an echo of an echo. Familiar but forgotten. A voice from the past, when childhood erased distinguished lines and memories turned to fuzz and sound.

Mesec...

Do you trust us?

The water rippled unnaturally in front of Mesec, offering him a choice. Would he walk forward into the water, following the sprite? It drifted further out across the water, called back into motion as the hum of song started up softly once more. Beckoning Mesec out, a guardian sprite hovering by the chosen one's child, a beacon of bright blue light that washed against her skin. This was not her decision, but she could witness her father's choice here.

Would he sink, drawn to the unnaturally shadowed depths of the lake, or would he swim?

Image Credits

Vesper’s presence and excitement grounded Mesec - gave him a reason not to chase after the alluring siren’s song of the light, though he wasn’t entirely sure he would have been able to turn away completely. He watched as they danced around Vesper - he would be surprised if he found anyone or anything that wasn’t enchanted with his daughter - but his hooves started to move and he followed the larger light, the one that was calling to him. He motioned for the filly to come along, if she wasn’t moving already, and for a moment he allowed a light curiosity to take over the wariness.

Until it brought them to the water.

He stopped at the edge, confused, while a blue orb floated before him. The whisper of a voice that was only just familiar speaking to him, asking him if he trusted them. His answer wasn’t a sure, definite ‘yes’ but it was a yes all the same, a slight nod that he made while he glanced back at Vesper - making sure that she was alright before finding more confidence in his response.

When the light moved across the water and beckoned him, Mesec felt hesitation flare up within him - the water was unfrozen but likely freezing and he did not relish the idea of wading into it, nor of leaving Vesper behind. If this was his mother trying to give him a message, couldn’t she find another way?

He was going to follow, but not straight away. Mesec turned his head from the water and looked to Vesper. “Stay here, sweetie. I’ll be right back.” He made sure that there was no hesitation in his voice - no uncertainty that the bright filly would be able to pick up on. Even though he wasn’t entirely sure, he needed her to believe it and he needed to believe it too.

After all, he did not have the luxury of drowning tonight - that would be unacceptable. Mesec would not leave his children and, if nothing else, that stubborn determination might save him.

Lucius, returned from his hunt, landed on the snow near Vesper - eyeing the sprite that hovered near her - and became a piece of Mesec left behind for her as the demigod waded into the chilly waters. Slowly and cautiously then, he swam to follow the light - his silver eyes fixed upon it.

artwork by Nikkayla

@Vesper

Helovian Ancient

A sense of anticipation seems to fill the air, and tiny little lights begin to blink into being, whispering to each other excitedly as Mesec speaks to his daughter and begins to make his choice. They flicker and dance, like curious little birds flitting about in a circle near the pair. But the large orb that had spoken to Mesec never flickers, never changes. The lantern that draws the demigod into the water. The trickster light that both entices and guides. They wait, and the moonlit boy makes his choice.

He comes forth, into the chill of the water and the shadows of the depths. But as his hoof strikes the liquid...

With a sparkle of white, he will find that his body does not sink below. Instead, a white layer of what could be ice forms and spreads in a spiderweb fashion from beneath the first point of his hoof that touches the water. With each step, the bridge of moonlight solidifies atop the water, shepherding the stallion out onto the lake. The sprites giggle gleefully and follow his progress, the footing sound but luminescent. If he were to gaze downward, the bridge would appear to shift like mist beneath his eyes. But so long as he trusts, it will hold him.

The lights do not speak until he is in the very center of the lake, and the bridge goes no further. If he steps forth now, he will find only water and darkness, where the liquid will drench his wings and steal his flight from him.

Look down, the voices croon, and they have a darker edge to them now. Something haunting and deep.

Below the water, a green light glows softly. Despite the depth of the lake, it's near the surface. Just high enough to reach down and grab.

What do you see? As the giggling voices continue, the light throbs and flickers, growing in strength.

An egg.

Will you take it? Or will it take you?

Image Credits

Skipping Vesper for the sake of the RE

As soon as Mesec’s hoof was placed on the sparkling, moonlight bridge, he wondered if he had made the right choice. Perhaps it would have been better for him not to leave Vesper, even if he had only left her on the bank of the lake. Would a better father have demanded safe passage for both him and his daughter before giving into the calls and beckons of the mysterious, though so far friendly, lights?

He needed to trust the lights because he needed them to bring him back to her safely. His heart had jumped with the first step - his body jostled with the strange sensation of stepping forward expecting to find no resistance but instead discovering something impossibly strong and beautiful - but with each that followed he became more confident and trusting of the bridge. After all, if it were to fail he knew the lake would be bitterly cold but swimmable. Every few steps, Mesec turned his head to look at his daughter and his companion on the shore. Compared to the luminous spot he was in now, the silver star girl on the shore seemed shadowy and dark but he could still see them. Lucius shifted uncomfortably where he had landed - his piercing silver and violet gaze filled with the doubt and distrust that Mesec kept at bay.

The demigod paused only when the bridge ended, uncertainty flickering into his mind for a moment as he reached forward with his nose to brush softly against the edge of the misty structure to confirm that it had indeed ended. The lights were still around him, shifting and dancing until they spoke, beckoning him to look down. By now, his curiosity was winning out over his fear and he followed the instructions, his silver gaze drifting down past the luminous bridge to find something glowing in the water - a soft green light. At first, it was difficult to make out what was there, but he recognized the shape of the object soon enough, just as the giggling voices asked him what he saw.

An egg.

At once, Mesec thought of two things. He thought of Virga, his son, the only one of their trio family without a companion and for the hundredth time that day alone he wished his son was here. And then Mesec thought of Lucius, when the large zephyr was no more than a black and silver egg himself. ‘Will you take it? Or will it take you?’ The voices asked and Mesec smiled faintly to himself - thinking that if the egg held what he thought it did, the answer was a combination of both. If he took it, it would take him too.

Lucius felt Mesec’s hesitation, a wall of it built with a dozen questions. The egg could hold anything, really - they had both seen enough of Helovia’s magic to know that - but if it was a companion? What would that mean for their bond? And then, practically, Mesec feared reaching into the water to pick up the egg with his mouth in case he damaged it or dropped it. In response, Lucius took off from his post with Vesper and glided up to catch up with Mesec before lowering himself as slowly and carefully as he could - talons outstretched to grasp at the egg settled in the water.

There was only one way to find out what was going to happen, the zephyr reasoned, and hesitating was not it.

artwork by Nikkayla

Helovian Ancient

All giggling ceases as the dark nose touches the water, ripples cascading out across the surface to disturb the replica of the full moon lingering atop the liquid. All is silent, even the hush of the breeze seeming to die down until only Mesec's and Lucius' breaths can be heard. Until a soft beating sound drifts up from below the water. A steady thu-thump, thu-thump.

A heartbeat.

Whatever hesitation stills the pair doesn't seem to matter to the spirits that drift about like disturbed orbs of smoke, flickering even as they remain motionless. Attentively watching. Awaiting Mesec's decision.

It is not Mesec who rightly chooses, the zephyr sweeping along on whispering wings to clutch the egg within its talons. For a moment, everything seems to hold still. Then all at once, the bridge dissolves, and you feel the water closing in on you. Slipping down your throat and nose, turning everything to blackness no matter if you try to struggle or fight. The pressure of weight settling against your body squeezes and constricts, surely you were wrong, the decision incorrect, the air will only last so long - !

But you're standing on the bank.

Not a drop of water lingers on your dark black coat, but you can recall the sensation nonetheless. Had it been a trick? Had it been real? A metaphor for the weight of the bond you will be taking on, a reminder of the gravity of your choice? But the egg lies safely in Lucius' talons, and all the lights but the largest flicker out. It bobs forward cheerily, and with a last joyous, almost mischievous giggle, it disappears.

Congratulations Mesec! You have been gifted a Common Kitsune! Please post in updates when it hatches.

Image Credits

@Mesec