the Rift

[PRIVATE] how we operate

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah

Aly never wanted there to be a day when she didn’t have some ties to the healers. It was her first job, the first thing that had given her purpose outside of her family, and for a time it was the only thing that had made sense to her. And now… she didn’t even having healing magic anymore. Not yet, and it was certainly an encouragement for her to finish the quest that she had started with the Moon Goddess.

There was only one thing left to do and she did not know how she was going to do it.

But those were thoughts for another time. A gentle snowfall had started in the late afternoon, flakes stirring with the faint breeze that sent chills down Aly’s spine as she folded her wings against her side. Hemlock had taken off already, seeking a familiar red and black nurse that Aly had helped welcome into the Edge in a rather… rocky little meeting with Raeden and Mauja. It hadn’t been the best first impression, she was sure, so she was happy to see the younger stallion still present and getting settled in the ranks.

In the few cases that she had crossed paths with him again, he had shown himself to be a reasonable and level-headed sort. Something the Edge sorely needed.

While she waited to see if Hemlock would find him, she continued her own search - moving slowly through the trees. The world always seemed so much quieter in Frostfall, the gently falling snow and muffled sound of her hoof-falls only adding to that sensation. It was peaceful, though Alysanne already felt restless for the flowers that bloom in Birdsong.

*ALYSANNE
lying on the edge of a star

for @Sacre
feel free to PP Hemlock finding him :D
please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Sacre Posts: 274
World's Edge Emissary atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 5 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Inari :: Red Fox :: Heal & Ríona :: Common Kitsune :: Electric imi
In my scarecrow dreams,
(When they smash my heart into smithereens)
Be a bright red rose come bursting the concrete.

Like this?”

“Mmm that’s not it” Sacre grumbled as Inari, sat on the poll of his head, was trying to help move his unruly forelock from one of his eyes. It was partially tangled around his horn and, stubbornly, was not moving from his vision. The red fox tried again, this time pushing it the rest of it around his horn, struggling to keep the thick mass of tangles on his paw as he ushered it over before falling forwards, instinctively clinging onto Sacre’s forelock. “Owwwwwwwwww, what are you doing?!” the fox-boy winced as Inari clung to his face, pulling the hairs from his head. It was then Sacre felt something else, the feeling of being watched—seen. Inari looked up from his clinging position and into the sky where there was an owl, a familiar looking owl.

Aly’s owl!

“Eh?” the red-eared lad exclaimed. Alysanne? The Queen? She couldn’t see him like this, with a fox hanging from his face, “get off” he quickly shook his head and Inari, grunting, fell into the drifts of snow, scowling at his friend from the floor. Sleeping, but now disturbed, Ríona also jumped off Sacre’s back and all three then watched the owl, following it to wherever Alysanne was.

His cloven hooves sunk into the snow as the two foxes almost seemed to dance off it, lighter and lither. Weaving through the trees Sacre followed the owl until he came across the familiar monochrome paint and trotted forwards, smiling at her. "Alysanne!" he called in greeting. The Queen had gotten off to a rocky start in her new leadership and the fox-boy often wondered how she was coping, if she was coping, and worried that it might all get a little too much. Yet, remembering her from the first day he came here, when he had caused all the ruckus, she didn't seem like the type to just roll over. 

"Are you okay?" he asked, wondering why her owl had been looking for him, whilst his two bonded sat in front of him "can I help you?" he beamed. 

@Alysanne <3

There's something wretched about this
Something so precious about this

❚ Force permitted!
❚ Please tag me!

It didn’t take long for Hemlock to let her know his search had been more successful than hers - so she slowed her pace and allowed herself to be an easy destination for them to find. Hemlock arrived first, swooping down to land on his customary spot on her head between her ears, and soon from between the trees the now-familiar sight of the black and red unicorn appeared. “Hello Sacre!” She responded to his greeting, already finding a warm smile for the kind stallion as he approached - and it only grew a moment later. His reaction to being called startled her - but startled her the most wonderful way, it caused her smile to brighten and to become easy.

Easier than it had been in some time, she was sure. The two questions he asked her immediately were exactly her reaction whenever someone’s companion came to find him and the familiarity of it warmed her heart. “I’m quite alright, but thank you for checking.”

Hemlock took this moment to swoop down towards the foxes, his preference for kitsunes and their fox cousins showing blatantly as he hooted joyfully at them. Now that he had done what Aly had asked him to do, he felt free to do what he wanted to do - and that was see if he could make two new friends. He landed on the snow and hopped around.

Silly boy Aly chided her companion in good humour while her green eyes flickered back up to Sacre. Though there was a particular reason that she wanted to speak to him, she didn’t immediately launch into it. Hopefully he wouldn’t mind - there were other questions she wanted to ask before she explained what the big deal was. “I hope I’m not interrupting your day? I just wanted to get a chance to talk to you, we haven’t really had a chance since you joined. Have you been enjoying living in the Edge so far? Any luck in finding your brother?”

*ALYSANNE

@Sacre
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

In my scarecrow dreams,

Even as he asked Alysanne if he could be of help he was wondering why she would need it. The former Doctor turned Queen must have an endless list of skill sets to draw upon that Sacre was sure she wouldn’t need his help with anything. Unless it was in search of somebody to talk to her for hours on end then perhaps the Devoted had found just the horse she needed. Her admission of being quite alright warmed him and suddenly he felt mightily cheerful to be called upon by her, not realising how lonely he could get sometimes until he was accompanied by a friend. Inari and Ríona were already bounded towards the owl, playfully trying to pounce on him and kicking up the snow with whimsical sounds—it was a cute moment of peace. One that Sacre basked in until the Queen opened up the conversation and the fox-boy felt a mixture of happiness and sadness.

"Not at all, I like having company" he grinned, sometimes he wondered how on earth he had lived before the arrival of his two mischievous foxes. 

Thinking about living in the Edge he tried to formulate his feelings into words. It was in no doubt that the misty land had made him happier than he had been, he had made new friends and was learning a new discipline. "I enjoy living here, the herd has been kind and I've learnt a lot in a short space of time" he pondered more before continuing, wondering how to express himself "you know, when I was a foal I was taken prisoner by the Worlds Edge and lived here for a short time. I hated it then" perhaps it was out of the blue to mention it, but it felt like the best way to explain to Alysanne how he felt about the Worlds Edge. "I never thought there would be a day when I would not just live here, but like living here" Sacre often wondered if his hatred of the Moon's land had subsided because he had now endured much worse that holding a silly grudge from the past seemed stupid. "Thank you for being so welcoming, I may never have returned otherwise" he smiled, if he could thank everyone he had met here he would, but thanking the Queen felt as close as he could get. Besides, if Alysanne hadn't of been there the day he had arrived in the Edge, he might have fled in shame for making such a rude entrance.

The fox-boy sighed then—Roux. 

Whenever the day came when he saw his twin brother again he would sing to the heavens above and everyone would know about it. His blue eyes cast to the floor "no luck with my brother. I think he is hiding from me on purpose" he laughed, but it was tinged with sadness. "I've looked in every place I can, asked passersby, but nothing" he let the frustration colour his voice, Sacre had never been very good at holding in what he really felt "I hope he is okay" finally, his voice almost dropped to a whisper.

Feeling that perhaps he might have depressed the Devoted enough, he raised his head to regard her with his own questions bubbling to the surface of his dark lips "how are you? we haven't spoken properly since you were a Doctor. Do you like being Queen?" voicing his curious thoughts out loud as he wondered which role Alysanne would prefer if suddenly she got the choice all over again.

@Alysanne

❚ Force permitted!
❚ Please tag me!

Previously, Alysanne had been under the belief that the Edge had always been a peaceful herd. When she had joined, after all, Kahlua had explained that the Qian had upheld strict philosophies about peace. It wasn’t until later - until recently, in fact - that she had learned this had not truly been the case. The herd that she had fallen in love with had taken the Edge lands by force of an invasion, by inflicting war upon those that lived there, and now Sacre was telling her that he had actually been taken prisoner here when he was a foal. A troubled frown darkened her expression as he shared this information.

Thinking him young, she feared she had been here when that had taken place - back when she was new and only ever concerned herself with the healers and trying not to get lost within the woods. Had he been here when Tandavi was? The fire-girl had existed in the same herd as Alysanne and yet neither of them had realized it.

She wasn’t sure and did not think she would actually want to know so she did not ask. “I’m sorry to hear that you had such a terrible experience with the Edge before, Sacre, but I am glad it is making a better impression on you now.” She smiled warmly at him then. “And it was my absolute pleasure to welcome you. I’m glad you decided to stay.”

That warm smile did not last for long - for when he spoke of Roux, how he had not yet found his brother, Alysanne felt his pain and her eyes grew sad. There were too many family members that were missing for Aly’s taste - there seemed to be a lot more lately but she wondered if she was just hearing about them more because she was queen? She understood Sacre’s frustration and sadness, though, and moved forward with the intention to nudge him lightly on the muzzle - a friendly gesture as her words turned encouraging when she stepped back again. “I’m sure he is. If I’ve learned anything since coming to Helovia it is that few stay put in one place for very long - everyone seems to wander now and then. He’ll come back - and I’m sure he’ll be overjoyed to find you here.” Her smile was hopeful and encouraging - if he looked up to see it - because she didn’t have any doubt that Roux and Sacre would be reunited. “My twin Iona and I were separated for almost two years before she found me here in Helovia, you know. Not that I think you and Roux will have to wait that long - but I believe siblings have a way of finding one another again, no matter what.” Short of turning around and finding Roux nearby right this moment, Alysanne wasn’t sure anything that she could say would actually make Sacre feel better - but that did not stop her from wanting to try. “But I’ll keep my eyes open for him as well - I’m sure Hemlock won’t mind at all coming to find you with any news.” She cast a look over to her owl, who was only ever playful around foxes and foals. Hemlock hooted his agreement before playfully fluttering up in a flurry of snow and attempting to catch one of Ríona’s tails with his small talons.  

When Sacre did raise his head, it was with his own questions for her and for a moment - Alysanne’s eyes widened in a brief moment of surprise. She didn’t think anyone had asked her opinion on the whole ‘Queen’ thing so far, or at least not in such a calm and curious fashion. “It’s… an adjustment, but I don’t dislike it I think. Being a healer was all I ever knew, all I ever planned on being, and everything associated with that life made sense to me. I knew exactly what I needed to do for the nearly four years I have - had - been a Doctor here. Now I’m in completely new territory and it’s a little daunting - especially knowing that so many are watching for me to make a mistake and that I’m bound to prove them right.” As she said the words, she realized that she probably shouldn’t have - she hadn’t said the entire truth but she felt as though she had still said too much, spilled too much of her insecurities to someone she barely knew. She ducked her head bashfully, apologetically, turning her gaze away for a moment. “Sorry. I hope you don’t think less of me for saying those things.” She added quietly, her green eyes moving to regard him once more and see if his expression might give away a flicker of distaste if his words would not.  

*ALYSANNE

@Sacre
made by the lovely tamme

In my scarecrow dreams,

"I'm glad I came" he nodded, looking around at the landscape before returning to the Devoted with his boyish smiles. It was true that the old Worlds Edge he had known as a prisoner was nothing like the one he knew now. Even if he had seen the odd wild fight here at least they didn't take children captive to further their gains. Though at least that time he had known where to find Roux...

Gently, he accepted her nose against his, smiling gratefully as she did so, her company was nice and calming for him. He hoped so desperately that her words were true, that Roux would return to him soon and erase all of his worries. Every day he felt like he was carrying an extra weight by just not knowing and he begged that Roux, wherever he was, would take that burden from his shoulders, prove that he was alive and well, that Sacre hadn’t failed to protect him. Then, then, there were his eyes, his brother couldn’t see during the day, he couldn’t see the way the sun painted the land with his fiery hand or how blue the sky could be. He had promised to fix them, to ask the Gods... Roux had to come back so his good-for-nothing brother could stand by his side once again. So he hoped so fiercely that Alysanne would be right, that just like her and Iona, he and Roux would find each other. “I know” he said with a shaky sigh “I know he will come back” he has to “though I’m afraid I may never let him leave again” he laughed, releasing some of his stress.

He wondered then over her sister “Iona? The Specter?” she was the Specter, right? He seemed to remember her at a previous herd meeting. Thinking about it now, they did look alike “I had no idea you had a twin” she probably understood the pain of separation from a missing twin as much as he did, if not more so, “I’m glad you found each other” even after two years… It gave him a little more hope. "Thank you, again, Alysanne" he laughed a little shyly this time "I feel like I have a lot to thank you for" though he hoped he wasn't a burden in anyway. 

In the meantime, Ríona playfully jumped as Hemlock came in for her tail, her soft paws trying to gently bat his wing as she made little noises of joy. 

Sacre listened to Alysanne's thoughts on her Queendom, her time as a Doctor and how daunting she found it now. If anything, Sacre thought more of her rather than less of her, it made her feel more real to him that these kinds of things bothered her. Carefully, lightly, he went to move closer to her and offered the same nose bump she had offered him earlier before stepping back and shaking his head "I don't think less of you" of course he didn't. "Let them watch Alysanne, everyone makes mistakes, if we didn't then how would we grow?" he grinned, remembering the many mistakes he had already made in the past and almost cringing at them. Why should leaders be any different? It was still a trade to be learned, just like healing. "Though I think you will be a very great Queen" he nodded firmly, resolutely.

"Four years is a long time as a Doctor... Would you teach me what you know, some time?" he asked, wondering if Alysanne might spare a moment for him to let him access the wealth of her healing knowledge. He still felt like he was flailing around in the deep end.

@Alysanne 3bajillion years later <3

❚ Force permitted!
❚ Please tag me!