the Rift

[PRIVATE] in a blackout

Kiada Posts: 181
World's Edge Nurse
Filly :: Unicorn :: 16.3 hh :: 2 years - Birdsong
Khairi :: Leucistic Lammergeier :: Paralyze Skylark
You think I'll be the dark sky
Kiada had grown used to the layout of the land. Even though she was young, she had a wanderlust and a considerable amount of blood lust (partially thanks to Khairi and his constant hunting), she longed for her brother’s companionship. It wasn’t the same trying to live this way without him, and as each moon rose and died every night, she was feeling more and more aggravated, angry, and upset. While it wasn’t directed at anyone really, though if she ever found out who stole her precious sibling from her side, she’d kill them, she often let her anger out on various things. Sometimes it required screaming in the misted forests on the Cliffside, sometimes it meant just staying to herself. She’d never admit it, but sometimes tears even made their way to the surface in the painfully obvious absence. She missed Kianzo with every ounce of her being, and it was even more apparent as Khairi continued to miss the hyena cub the boy had bonded to as well.

Today was a particularly bad day for the filly. She was sad and growing more so as the time went on. The day didn’t help much either, as snow began to fall in large amounts between the trees. The flames across her back were heatless and pointless in her opinion. Even Khairi had to admit how stupidly silly she looked with snow landing and piling up across her spine as the flames still spiked from it, doing nothing to the chill. He cackled a laugh, yet all Kiada could do was shake her head with how painfully obvious the still fresh wound of pointless magic was. And even though the snow came in drifts as the sun tried to pierce its way through the thick cloud cover, she couldn’t help but to keep moving. Ink dipped legs in stark contrast to the ivory land she found herself in. The only one that blended in any was Khairi as he swooped from branch to branch, trying to see if his bonded could spot him among the tree tops.

The aura of melancholy billowed from the painfully silent world around her as she stepped. Her movements muffled and the eerie silence accompanied by snow was making it even more awkward and pitiful in her eyes. That was when she had an idea – to find the Queen of this land and ask her some simple questions. Aside from Rexanna, Alysanne had been the first face she’d seen after her birth – the painted mare had managed to do something to fix the pain Rexanna felt after their birth to allow for the gilded siren to stand, to feed the greedy twins. Perhaps it was the day and the strangeness of everything – but she wanted to know how the Queen had done it, but also more importantly what had happened to her mother. As far as Kiada was concerned, Rexanna appeared helpless in many circumstances, never needing to fight for herself. Perhaps the Devoted would be able to answer her questions.

Miss Alysanne?” She called out into the softly falling snow. A breath of fog emitting from her lips as she did so. The filly wasn’t much for formalities – but she was young still. She needed to gain people on her side, to allow them the right of thinking of the young child of fire as kind and helpful. Besides, when Kianzo eventually returns (for he will one day in her eyes, and she won’t stop until he does) he was to be the brawn and brute force whereas Kiada was to be the diplomatic side, able to cut someone down if they wronged her with grace and pride. Kianzo was to be the one to have a bit more fun with it in a more brutal sense. And if that was where she wanted to end up as she grew older, she needed to start making ties now.  She stood in the falling snow, oceanic gaze dancing across the tree tops looking for her vulture companion as well as the painted mare to appear if she had indeed heard her call. The flames that licked across her back danced as zebras in her newfound anxiety.

"Talk."
so you can be the star? —
I'll swallow you whole.
Kiada
image | coding

It's not great but it's a start! It'll get better I promise <3 @Alysanne

IT'S SAID SHE'S MADE OF STORM CELLS
AND A WILD WOLF'S HUNGRY HEART,
THAT SHE'S LEARNT THE LIGHTNING'S SECRET
TO RIPPING DARKENED SKIES APART.

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah
Alysanne would drop whatever she was doing to answer the call of any of her fellow herd members (or any of her friends… and well, just almost anyone in Helovia really with a few exceptions), but there was a special eagerness that she felt when responding to a foal. She adored foals, that was something that had never changed in her decade long life, and something that she hoped would never change. She missed having one of her own to care for, longed to grow her family and have another foal. Ever since visiting the Basin during their festival and hearing the sweet grey mare’s rhyme about the sound of tiny feet the desire was only getting worse.

And there were… other desires too but they were not so wholesome and, theoretically anyway, they could be met along with her wish to become a mother again. Killing two birds, as it were.

These thoughts only entered her mind when she was idle for a long time - there was no shortage of other things for her to do or to worry about. Certainly there were better things for her to think about than just how she would become a mother again when her relationships with stallions tended to be either very platonic or very complicated.

These were the thoughts that Kiada’s call interrupted - startling the painted mare enough to make her jump before she reminded herself that they had been just thoughts and she did not think Rexanna’s daughter could read minds. Hemlock, who leaped off of Aly’s head when she startled, laughed at her before swooping through the woods to find the golden filly that had called - which only took a few short minutes. He relayed the location to Aly who, now having regained her composure, followed through the snow.

“Kiada!” She called out a cheerful greeting to the young girl as soon as her green eyes spied her. Despite having a rocky relationship with her father, Aly certainly had a soft spot for the twins that she had helped welcome into the world. Her smile was easy and bright as she came to stand near the girl, Hemlock resuming his previous spot between his bonded’s dark ears. “How are you, my dear?”

alysanne the devoted
art by reli

@Kiada <3
please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

World's Edge Nurse
The vulture had managed to land upon a snow-covered branch, blending in effortlessly as Kiada’s gaze surveyed the treetops. It hadn’t taken long for her to get noticed – other animals shifted and moved away from the sound she emitted, interrupting the beautiful silence that painted the land. Her brows furrowed together, slightly annoyed in wait. However, when Hemlock crested the treetops, she found her annoyance beginning to lift. Alysanne had heard her, and Khairi stood among the branches preening his feathers while keeping a diligent view of his bonded to ensure her safety.

Alysanne broke through the trees, calling her name cheerfully, and Kiada’s straightened her posture, dipping her head in greeting to the painted Queen. She offered a bright smile to the filly while Hemlock landed directly on her head. Kiada returned her own gentle smile before replying to the question the Queen poised to her. “Oh, I’m okay. Father made me stay here today while they go out and look for Kianzo.” She allowed a slight frown to reach her pink splotched lips, her gaze averting from Alysanne for a few moments. “So I was thinking maybe I could learn something while I was here!” Her voice lost the sadness that had painted it as a shadow as her gaze returned. “I was wondering if you could tell me about what happened when Zo and I were born?” Her ashen head tilted then in curiosity.

What had caused her Mother to be so easily pained? The scars and bruises that laced her flesh upon their birth, simply gone when Alysanne came to heal her. Where was the blood that dripped from Rexanna’s neck, where had it come from? Was there an unseen threat that Kiada needed to look out for? She had so many questions, but it all needed to start off with what happened first. Hopefully, if Alysanne wasn’t around to witness it, that Rexanna had told her of the event. Hopefully her mother wasn’t as stupid as she grew up believing.

"Talk."
I'll swallow you whole.
Kiada
image | coding

@Alysanne <3

The bright smile in Alysanne’s eyes faded with Kiada’s first words, explaining how her father had made her stay here while he went in search of her brother. She wondered what sort of father Tembovu was like, whether Kiada liked him at all. The term ‘father’ suggested a bit of formality (her own children only used ‘mother’ when they were cross with her) but she shouldn’t jump to conclusions and let them further sour her opinion of the King.

Instead, she dipped her head and offered what little words she could in some attempt at consoling a girl who had lost her brother. “I hope Kianzo is found soon.” As a parent herself, it bothered her that Kianzo was still missing but her distress even went beyond that - she felt a special kinship with the twins, having seen them when they were so young, and so new to the world. She knew what Rexanna was going through, after having having her own children go missing more than once or twice. She was just thinking that maybe she should go and see Rexanna the next time she could to see how the golden mare was doing when Kiada announced that she wanted to learn something while she was here.

That perked Alysanne’s interest and in that moment of a pause before the question, she wondered whether the daughter of a warrior and a spy would be interested in becoming a healer.

But no, that was not what the filly was asking her. The question she asked surprised her - her green eyes widening for a brief moment as she remembered back to that day, remembered what Rexanna had told her. She shuffled her wings slightly, considering the question, before returning the girl’s curious look with one of her own. “I can but… have you asked your mother about this?” Alysanne asked cautiously. She didn’t mind telling Kiada what she knew - it was little enough - but she wondered whether Rexanna had not told her for a reason. If Kiada had asked Rexanna and the mare had refused to answer, that would be enough for her to know it wasn’t a subject she should discuss.

alysanne the devoted
art by reli

@Kiada
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

World's Edge Nurse
I hope Kianzo is found soon.” Kiada nodded along, agreeing with it entirely. She wished her brother would be found, alive and well. She hoped that she would see him again one day, to rekindle their relationship – to work through the troubles they faced when they were young, to be able to live with one another again in another land. She wanted to be able to share how much she had learned, how much she had grown, and she wanted to see just how much he had grown as well. As she thought these thoughts, Khairi crooned an almost mournful sound from the snowy tree branches. He missed his friend, as well. Kianzo’s companion and him were a team, and he wanted it to be the same when they saw one another again.

However, as Kiada asked the question she had truly been interested in knowing, Alysanne seemed almost taken back. The filly’s pink splattered lips formed a slight frown at first as the painted Queen thought about whether or not she should speak of such events. The spotted filly watched with bright blue eyes as Alysanne’s wing’s shuffled, and her fluted ears perked when the Queen finally began to speak. “Have you asked your mother about this?” Well, no. But Kiada was growing into being a good liar. Immediately she began to nod, the white in her forelock dancing up against her ever growing sharp horn as it twisted and curled up toward the sky in a crescent like shape. “Yes, she didn’t tell me much though.” She lied, eager eyes making it almost impossible to believe as a lie.

Then, to follow it up, she took to remembering what she saw when she was younger. “I don’t think she remembers a lot of it anymore, really. She told me to look for you! That you’d be able to tell me what happened. Mother just remembers having a lot of bruises and scratches and being too tired and hurt to stand for us when you arrived.” She offered a small solemn smile, trying to encourage her story even more. “But I’m certainly glad to have found you!” Her voice grew cheerful, excited even at the idea that she could play this game. Just wait until she told Zo!

"Talk."
I'll swallow you whole.
Kiada
image | coding

@Alysanne <3

It really didn’t make any sense to Aly why Rexanna would want her daughter to know about what had happened the day she was born and she made a note to herself to ask Rexanna about it later, the next time she had a chance to speak alone with the golden mare. If she truly forgot then she would needed to be reminded - if only so she could avoid the one who had hurt her in the future. This, of course, raised other questions that Alysanne realized she had not made time to ask her friend - like whether there had been another meeting with the bastard since that day.

The painted mare also wondered, in addition to why Rexanna wanted to daughter to know, also wondered why Kiada wanted to know?

But Alysanne quickly chided herself for questioning the motives of a child. She should stop looking for enemies in everyone. Surely it was just youthful curiosity - she had heard no stranger questions come from Naerys when she was growing up either. It was a part of her history, even if it had happened just before she was born, and surely that was enough for a foal to be curious.

“Well, your mother had been attacked by someone that day, someone from her past.” Alysanne honestly wouldn’t be able to give a name even if she wanted to, because Rexanna had never shared that part of it. All she knew was that it was a he and that it hadn’t been Tembovu. But with only those two facts, the field of candidates was hardly narrowed down. “I don’t know if you’ve seen a pregnant mare,” She paused, watching for a nod or a shake of the head, but either way she continued the same. “It’s a very… delicate time. Females are tough, as I’m sure you know, but stress and injury can cause a lot of problems. So Rexanna went into a rough, early labour because of what had happened that day.”

That was basically what had happened and she stopped, watching the golden filly to see her reaction and if there were any other questions she might have.

alysanne the devoted
art by reli

@Kiada
made by the lovely tamme

World's Edge Nurse
Her eyes studied her Queen’s as she looked for any signs that her lie would backfire. While the painted woman seemed slightly skeptical, Kiada’s gaze stayed around that innocent appearance. Hoping that she wouldn’t think anything of such a simple question from a child. Soon, as her heart began to beat rapidly in her bronze hued chest, the Devoted seemed to ignore her prior superstitions and finally began to answer what seemed like a simple question to Kiada.

But her breath caught in her throat as Alysanne said her mother had been attacked. Someone from her past had done it, and was now here in Helovia? No wonder she was so frightened for Kianzo to be missing – no wonder she was worried every time she slipped from the Edge. Her head tilted slightly as she listened along, eyes narrowing slightly as anger swelled within her breast at the idea that someone could walk around thinking it was okay to hurt her mother. But, Alysanne continued on and Kiada’s pale rimmed ears flicked forward to listen.

I don’t know if you’ve seen a pregnant mare,” with those words, Kiada shook her head no. But she listened, and took in all the information she could that the Devoted Queen could offer of such instances. Again, her head tilted slightly. “We weren’t supposed to be born that day?” She mused quietly, half to herself, half for clarification. “But somebody came along and hurt her, and that’s why she had us? That’s why she couldn’t stand?” Again, it was more of a rhetorical question, just making sure she gathered the facts right. Then, shaking her head slightly she offered a sweet smile to Alysanne, a grateful gleam glimmering in her eyes.

I’m glad you were there Miss Aly. Thank you for helping my mother!” Her tail flickered gently behind her as she pondered the way she could tell all this information to Kianzo. Perhaps she’d need to do some more digging herself, figuring out who had done such a thing.

"Talk."
I'll swallow you whole.
Kiada
image | coding

@Alysanne <3 I'm not sure if we were gonna have them talk more or not, but if you wanted it to end here that works :) if not they can talk about healing or how she likes the Edge and Temb and stuff if you wanna get info out of her xD