the Rift

fortitude (vol vs arah)

Volterra the Indomitable Posts: 785
Dragon's Throat Sultan atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17'2hh :: 3 HP: 80 | Buff: SENSE
Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow

The pulsing of rage in his veins helps numb the pain of his wounds, but he can still feel the throbbing of his hindquarters as the bruised muscles clench and seize. His teeth are gritted with pain, knowing that he will struggle to use his rear end to attack with now and lamenting the fact that he loses a large part of his arsenal as a result. The battle is almost at its conclusion, however, and submission is the last thing on Volterra's mind.

Vérzés manages to strike the mare's neck, and the leviathan feels his dragon's smug satisfaction at his success. A cold smile flickers underneath the giant's skulled face, delighting in the sensation of his companion's bloodthirsty thrill, in the primal pleasure of claws sinking into skin. The black titan hauls his body forwards to avoid any further kicks the mare may send at him, but he feels no telltale whistle of air or thudding of hooves on flesh. Instead, he hears a strange humming coming from the segment of his mind where Vérzés' consciousness usually resides, and the stallion's brow furrows with concern as he reaches out tentative mental tendrils towards the abyss. Vérzés? What's going on?

Suddenly the red is in front of him, silhouetted against the driving snow; his claws are outstretched, his face twisted into a pained grimace. "I sorry," he says, and Volterra knows he means it - alarm shoots through the stallion's body and his ears pin in surprise, his heart pulsing and his rage momentarily dulled by the sheer weight of worry for his dragon. It is clear that Vérzés is fighting a battle of his own; he makes odd dipping dives towards Volterra, twisting and wringing his paws as though to keep them from acting of their own accord, emitting anguished little yelps that make Volterra's soul ache with concern.

Suddenly the realisation hits him and with a savage bellow he uses the slippery ground to swing around and try to face the mare, his fury returning with the force of a freight train; it's something she is doing, some manner of evil that she's feeding into his dragon's mind. Vérzés, whatever she wants you to do, don't! You are stronger than her, fight her! He's greeted with a whimper as his red-scaled companion almost ties himself in a knot to avoid doing whatever the mare has commanded him to. Vérzés' love of Volterra, his determination to please his master, is the only thing keeping him from doing what every iota of his body is screaming at him to do; he can hear Arah's voice in his mind and knows that acting on it will offer blessed relief from the hand that seeks to guide his movements, but he can't. How can he harm his bonded in such a way? How can he attack the man who has shared his mind for three years?

So, with a pained howl that wrenches Volterra's heart in two, Vérzés plummets towards the ground. He doesn't arrest his momentum, doesn't slow his descent; with an earth-shaking crash he slams into the floor, ploughing through the snow and colliding with the frozen soil beneath. The impact knocks him unconscious and Volterra's mind screams as his bonded's pain becomes his own; his temper explodes like a landmine, blinding him, obliterating him. How dare this woman accuse him of crimes he did not commit, call him a coward, and harm his dragon? Who does she think she is?

She will fucking suffer for this!

He snarls as the griffin's talons sink unnoticed deep into his left shoulder. They rip through the skin and into thick muscle, sending agony searing through him and ensuring that yet another scar will be added to his collection. Volterra swings his head around, aiming to sink his teeth into the griffin's left wing to try and crush the fragile bones with the force of his jaws. He wants to maim the mare's companion in Vérzés' name, unable to snatch his gaze away from the dragon's prone body.

Vadir, free now from the griffin's attentions, turns her own towards the antlered mare. She swoops low, aiming to approach from behind the unicorn with jaws agape, spewing another blast of flame in an attempt to raze her foe to the ground, to burn her alive. The golden queen has no real love for her crimson brother, but she has every intention of avenging him for the sheer audacity of the woman to enter the mind of a dragon, to try and control the most proud and fearsome of creatures.

Teaching spar for Arah !

3/3 - 765 words

V O L T E R R A

YOU'VE GOT THE WORLD ON ITS KNEES
YOU'RE TAKING ALL THAT YOU PLEASE
image credits

Spelling/grammar/prose - A couple more typos:

'and he does not have to speed to entirely escape her either' - 'the' speed

' For the sheer volume and brutally that was within the roar' - brutality

'Wynter swoops high once and again she aims from the brute,' - for the

But aside from those, I understood what you meant and I enjoyed reading your posts, so didn't find any real issues in this area :D

Emotion - This has been consistently strong throughout, so great job! I had no problem understanding why Arah was feeling the way she was, and you wrote it all well!

Attacks - I love her using her magic on Verzes! Both attacks were clear and concise, although Wynter's attack doesn't specify which shoulder she is attacking so make sure to include this in future fights :D

Damage taken - Vol rolled a 5 damage, which is pretty much the second highest damage you can roll. Added to his high damage stat of 8, you should be looking to take some fairly extensive damage from such a roll. This is the chart I usually use to decide how to take damage:

1: Very minor bruise/cut that won't impact movement
2: Reasonably minor bruise/cut that won't impact movement
3: Quite painful bruise/cut that won't impact movement/maybe a pulled muscle
4: Moderate bruise that restricts some movement/reasonably deep cut/badly pulled muscle/sprain
5: Severe bruise that restricts movement/muscle-deep cut/maybe a very minor bone fracture/serious sprain
6: Very severe bruise that will restrict movement/severe muscle-deep cut/broken or fractured bone

Then I adjust for my opponent's damage stat, so say their damage stat was 3, I'd take less damage from a 4 dice roll than I would if a character with a stat of 8 rolled that. So from Arah's three 5 rolls, I've taken a deep cut to his side, a deep movement-affecting bruise, and deep cuts to his left shoulder. If her damage stat was higher I'd maybe have taken a bone fracture or something from these rolls.

Given this, I don't think you took quite enough damage to fit the roll :( Vol basically had 4 attacks in his post: he attempted to reverse into her and push her over, he used his Battle Cry rank power, Verzes attacked her face, and Vadir attacked Wynter.

For the reverse attack, you acknowledge it: 'The suddenness of his movements is almost able to throw her off balance. The beast suddenly reverses, he is close enough to knock her over with his rump and prevent the attack, only does not quite manage the feat' but don't actually explain WHY it doesn't succeed. Did she hobble backwards and return to all fours? Did she slide to the side to avoid it? When dodging attacks, you need to explain HOW you dodged it, not just act like it missed or you could get a realism and PP deduction :c

You reacted to the Battle Cry attack well, which was great! Then for Verzes' attack you say: 'The red's savage claws plunge into her neck while his freezing breath freezes along her neck, just below her hair line'. It's good that you took the damage but it's not clear how much damage was done - did his claws create deep cuts or shallow ones? Did his frost breath cause extensive damage or just a small surface level amount of freezing? Try to be more specific when taking damage so the judge knows exactly what injuries you have :)

Finally, you did well having Wynter take the flame damage to her tail, but this is only a relatively small amount of damage. Combined with the unspecified amount of damage to her neck, I'd say you took maybe a 3 dice roll's worth of damage. It's harder to judge because it's spread across more than one attack, but if I was you I'd have maybe had her become unbalanced by his reversing, have the Battle Cry shake her resolve and cause Verzes' attack to create thick, deep cuts to her neck that restrict her movement (as for a 5 dice roll from an 8 damage opponent, you really need to be taking wounds that will impact you throughout the fight), then avoided the flame attack altogether.

So you did well reacting to some of the attacks, but I don't think the combined damage was quite enough to fit the dice roll :)

Other - Thanks for the fight Frostie! :D

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]
[ use of force/magic on him is permitted aside from death/maiming ]

Messages In This Thread
fortitude (vol vs arah) - by Volterra - 12-11-2016, 02:56 PM
RE: fortitude (vol vs arah) - by Arah - 12-12-2016, 08:56 PM
RE: fortitude (vol vs arah) - by Volterra - 12-26-2016, 01:29 PM
RE: fortitude (vol vs arah) - by Arah - 01-08-2017, 04:10 PM
RE: fortitude (vol vs arah) - by Volterra - 01-22-2017, 12:54 PM
RE: fortitude (vol vs arah) - by Arah - 02-05-2017, 06:55 AM
RE: fortitude (vol vs arah) - by Volterra - 02-06-2017, 11:29 AM
RE: fortitude (vol vs arah) - by Arah - 02-20-2017, 06:35 PM
RE: fortitude (vol vs arah) - by Blu - 02-21-2017, 10:03 AM