the Rift

[OPEN] To Honor The Dead {Gathering, Crafting}

Eldala Posts: 64
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.0 hh :: 3yrs (Ages in Frostfall) HP: 63 | Buff: NOVICE
Capro :: Girgentana Goat :: None Goatfairy

ELDALA lay in her cave. She stared at the wall. Capro came and released a sorrowful noise into her ear as he crawled up on his bonded's back in comfort. The young companion couldn't possibly grasp everything that was going on, not in the slightest, but he felt his bonded's pain as if it were his own. The mare stays that way for a time but soon enough she gives it up. She reasons that the selfish self-pity is an assault on who the horse was that she was missing. The mare hadn't known the stallion well but she felt fairly safe in assuming that Deimos would be appalled at her wallowing.

It was later in the day following Deimos's death and the Basin was silent against the first rain, a herald of spring. Eldala rose from her spot and began to look for stored supplies. Finding little, the mare sets off with purpose. She wanders towards the Edge of the Basin, she wanders inland, she wanders up the mountains, and everywhere she goes she collects supplies. The terrene mare is several hours into her gathering when she spots Hotaru up ahead. The young mare's mouth sets in a line. The Queen terrified her but Deimos would not want Eldala to run away, he would want her to perform her duty. So, she walks forward, it was time they discussed their defenses and what Eldala was to create. Capro eyes Alice, wary from their last encounter, and chooses to stick right by his bonded's side.

"Hotaru!" calls the fem to her superior. "Do you have time to speak about the defenses I'm to make?"

Image Credit

@Hotaru I'm sorry for trash post, I just wanted to get it out tonight!

-Pixel by Niki-

△ All friendly/neutral contact is fine but no permanent injury/maiming/death △
△ Please tag me for everything you can, it helps me remember△

Hotaru the Valkyrie Posts: 295
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3hh :: 6 Years 3 Months HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Alice :: Royal Hellhound :: Acid Brit

The day had gone by in a daze, a fugue state only enhanced by the late winter rain. It seemed as if time - even if her lands were ruled by him - was slipping through her fingers like molasses. What now? After all of this...her happiest day had turned into her darkest, where she found herself without direction or companionship. A sole matriarch over a crumbling empire, that mourned their king who had served them faithfully for so long. Don't need to decide now, Alice gently probed into her mind, trying to comfort her. Pack will work until we heal. Hotaru was reluctant to believe her, feeling so lost in the wake of the absence of her friend and co-leader.

He had taught her so much. He had agreed to Ophelia's recommendation of Hotaru, lifted her to his side and granted her the grace and serenity of Ladyship. She owed him so much, and he was gone. Leaving her the only leader of one of the most historic herds in Helovia. The sole parent of a family that was only just beginning to heal in the first place without the added wound of his absence.

Nonetheless she walks. She patrols. She seeks the solace of her own company and thoughts, trailing along the borders with slow intentional purpose. Alice accompanies her, the only soul she can accept right now. It is she who notices Eldala's approach, probes gently at her bonded's mind to grab her attention as softly as she can.

Her name falls from the mare's lips, and though her spin prickles with distaste, logically she knows they cannot hesitate any longer on their defenses. Especially with Deimos' absence, the one who had superior skills on the battleground compared to the Valkyrie. She turns to face the weaver, and though she doesn't do it consciously, her bodice strengthens and lifts itself to a more dominant position. Lifting her cloak of grace around herself to be the Lady that her herd needs.

"Eldala," she speaks softly, Alice momentarily eyeing the goat with curled lips before Hotaru shoots her a glance and the hellhound settles. "Yes, that would be great. I think we should have two trip wires, with a gap between for others to come through. If we were ever under attack, the forces would have to trickle in two by two at the most, and we could cut them off far easier." Then she realizes that she doesn't know what Eldala has been doing in her spare time and glances around for any materials. Not that Eldala would have lugged them along with her, she assumed. "Do you have the materials for that? I'm sure we can hook up the initial wires to more that will trigger some sort of siege, but for now...merely being a nuisance will have to be enough." Her shoulders are weary, and her face must appear even more so, but now isn't the time for hesitation or doubt. They have to keep moving forward.

I'm not a girl, I'm storm with skin

Image Credits
[Image: 515265280ffff]

::Strong like the sea is stormy::

Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

HOTARU turns to her the moment the words leave her mouth. Eldala can't quite tell if her queen is sad or angry or both...in any case, its still enough to be sufficiently intimidating. A nervous smile escapes her as the Lady of the Basin floats towards her on the mare's seemingly ever-present unseen wings made of grace. /The amount of her perfection is seriously unnerving./ thinks the mare to herself. How does one ever achieve such strength and quiet fury?

To her surprise, though the older mare is obviously mourning the Reaper in her own way, she is still kinder to Eldala than the terrene fem had expected. Her words are soft but short. The suggestion of beginning with two trip wires rolls through Eldala's mind like sweet mulled wine. "That sounds like a fantastic place to start!"

The Lady continues her inquiry, "Oh yes! I've been collecting bark and loose wool all day. It would be very easy to weave the bark and wool together to create a strengthened wire." She pauses as the Valkyrie continues onward before responding. "I agree, we can always add more later. Just having anything up will help us right now." With a sudden start she begins to trot away but leaves a call over her shoulder, "Just a moment, let me grab the materials I have and I'll be right back!" She smiles brightly at her leader and gallops on off back to her cave, leaving Capro staring at Alice and Horaru for a few minutes. He looks between the two and give 'em his best greeting bleat.

Its not long before Eldala returns lugging a mass of materials on top of a tree branch. "There we go. How large should I make it?"

Image Credit

-Pixel by Niki-

Hotaru the Valkyrie Posts: 295
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3hh :: 6 Years 3 Months HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Alice :: Royal Hellhound :: Acid Brit

Hotaru does not know much about Eldala. Despite the mare being her crafter and the antics of her goat companion, the earthen vixen is essentially a stranger to the Valkyrie. She wants to remedy that, but her tongue is thick and heavy in her mourning mouth and she cannot bring herself to muster the friendliness necessary. How can she when her heart aches with Deimos' absence? When her mind is a veritable landmine of anxiety and doubt? So instead she merely holds herself before Eldala, her silent graceful countenance the only mask that won't slip from her tearful face. There is no other persona to embody, no act that she can summon when so silent with her own grief. But she respects the courage the woman holds, seeking her out and trying to be proactive in the face of their Reaper's demise. It lifts the weaver in her eyes.

Even if her exuberance could not be matched, a benevolent smile curls on the Lady's face at Eldala's sincerity. Amused, perhaps. Heartened by the sight of cheer in the wake of demise. Prepared and armed with vivaciousness to combat the darkness that encroaches on all their hearts. And she must speak if only to impart her own feelings on the mare.

"Thank you Eldala. Your cheer is...appreciated. As is your diligence," Hotaru articulated with a small smile. She would not forget to compliment Eldala's forthrightness and determination, even if it was her joyous countenance that she was most grateful for now.

The weaver bounds off with barely a second between for Hotaru to say anything, so the woman cocks a hip and waits patiently. The goat was an amusing addition to their little group, its nervous blest prompting a small huff of laughter from Hotaru. She knew Alice was quite protective and could not blame anyone - companion or equine - for fearing the royal beast.

Luckily Eldala returns swiftly and Hotaru returns her attention to the material, intrigued by the process as she'd never witnessed it this close. "Medium length I would say. Two lengths each?" Truly a rhetorical question all things considered but if it helped Eldala envision it properly then all the better. "We can add simple wooden stakes to hold them, too. I'm not sure if it's within your capability but the lighter colored the twine the less noticeable it would be as well." Perhaps if she used the wool? That was a rather pale material. Not that Hotaru knew much about crafting.

I'm not a girl, I'm storm with skin

Image Credits
[Image: 515265280ffff]

::Strong like the sea is stormy::

Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

CAPRO responds to the pale queen's small huff of laughter with a series of joyous bounces about in a circle. When his bonded returns the young buck sidles closer to the hellhound, proffering a sniff if the lady of terror allows him. She's so weird he can't help but want to get a closer look. This doesn't mean he's not fully prepared to skitter away across the ground if she snaps at him. He was reckless but not completely stupid enough to forget their first encounter.

Meanwhile, the Lady Reigning was clearly doing her best to put her land's Weaver at ease. The older mare's efforts were not wasted. The spread of the smile, the slow but kind words, they all had an obvious effect on the hazelnut youth. Eldala fairly beams under the praise, her nervousness lessening the longer the other mare remained friendly.

"Two medium lengths it is!" Comes her initial exclamation but Lady Hotaru's next phrase makes her giggle. "I may be young, but my Weaving skills are as solid as my stallion seduction skills are lacking. (Which is very)"  She was sure the mixture of bark and spare wool would allow the rope a nice, light tan tone. Eldala waits for Hotaru's response while she shreds and shuffles the materials into a well-balanced pile. Soon though, she is done and closes her eyes to call upon the gifted well of magic that resides inside her soul.

As the magic begins to work she fills the waiting time with a small story about her past. "Back home, where I came from, my family was very...politically oriented." Sure, lets put it down to only politics. Not like her mother had been a princess. Naw. "My father was a great philosopher, my mother very political, and Arion was the strategist and military man. There was a lot of pressure on me to be something and I hated it. At first, I started apprenticing to crafters as a rebellion because it was the only thing our family just did not do." She chuckles again at that. Oh, how young she'd been the first time she'd ran away to the Industry and Arts Sector.

Here and now, the rhythmic whirring of the materials as they were swept up set a sort of soothing music in the air. "But I soon found the straightforward, simplistic nature of learning to dye and weave things appealed to me. They never lie, you see, and you can't lie to them. After a few months the idea of crafting just stuck. I could always turn to it when I was in need of something to calm my soul." She offers the older mare a kind smile. With a dry slurp the last of the material whirls into the rope and it falls to the ground beside the other medium sized twine. They might just be two bits of rope but, by and large, they were her most cohesive creations yet. The small bit of wool added to the mixture gave it a lighter, soft sort of tone and there were very few irregularities. Johnny, if he were here, would be quite proud. "There we are, these should be quite strong." She loops and knots makeshift stakes to the ropes before picking them up, "Shall we place them now?"

Image Credit

OOC: Obvoiusly, there are spaces for Hotaru to respond/interject/etc but I just power wrote it out so we can finish. Feel free to write whatever words you like etc.

-Pixel by Niki-