the Rift

[PRIVATE] Family Matters

Maude Posts: 140
World's Edge Filly
Filly :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: Yearling
Bunnie

The truth that Uncle’s treasures had been stolen away made Maude’s heart sink. How horrible for him! She would be devastated if her small collection of twigs, pretty rocks, and dried flowers came up missing, and they weren’t even real treasures, just associated with memories and stories she had made up, in her songs. Wonders as to just what sort of fabulous treasures dear Bartholomeo had lost made her feel very peculiarly sad for him, which doesn’t particularly aid to the downwards spiral which swallows the conversation thereon.

Though Byron’s heartfelt request to give the offensive, treasure thieving culprits a kick from him makes a flicker of amusement alight on her face, Maude is still so sullen by the various heartaches that arise with meeting one’s illegitimate brother for the first time (and the loss of wondrous treasures, though she had never seen them) that she feels entirely unlike herself. While she wonders if this horrible feeling will ever stop, her Uncle’s curses begin to fill the air.

At first, she’s very interested. She’s never heard such language before! Her mouth drops open upon the second word, however, her clever little mind clicking together cues from her mother’s stories. Those were curse words!

"Oh my, Uncle Bart!" blurts the damsel, now completely horrified by what has befallen her tender, lady-like ears, stepping backwards in what she assumes to be the proper amount of offense. She watches her Uncle take his own, dizzy steps backwards, pleading with them not to tell her father about what he’d just said (likely because Maude is now staring at him like he’s just chopped off Byron’s head, and doffed it as a hat). Easing her from her stupor, her brother’s remark draws her eyes from her foul-mouthed Uncle Bart to the snow-brimmed face of her newfound sibling.

She can’t help but feel the faintest hint of a smile creep to her lips, as Byron attempts to extort their Uncle. Not sure how to be a big sister, but sure it involves siding with your little brothers, when siding with them is harmless, she tilts her demure, doe eyes back towards her brigand of an Uncle.

"What’s an arse?" Maude asks, hoping it inflicts the proper amount of terror to get them something really good from Uncle Barty.

Before long, however, they are moving, following Bartholomeo’s excited cheer that the adventure had begun. Eager to be out without her parents (a rare occurrence), and glad that the most awkward part of meeting Byron was out of the way, Maude tries her best to remain positive as they make their way towards wherever the cheeky stag decides to lead them. Greeting her brother’s barrage of questions with a somewhat forlorn smile, the ginger-kissed damsel does her best to answer each, while still keeping in mind some of her own.

"I live in the World’s Edge, with my parents, and Auntie Aelfwine," she begins, "I would like to be a healer, like our daddy. There is a big greenhouse in the Edge, and a garden, and I think it is fun to take care of the plants. Weeding is not as fun, but you have to do it or ‘they will soon be all the greenhouse holds!’"

She frowns at the thought of her most dreaded chore, parroting a common remark from the studious nurses who watched over her, while her father was out working, but her smile soon returns.

"Sometimes Katua, she’s my best friend, and I go on adventures, but not very often. Daddy says it’s dangerous in the wilds, so I don’t leave the Edge a lot, unless I sneak away, like I did today... It’s okay though, cause there is lots of stuff to see and do," she pauses, trying to recall everything else, before she adds, "where do you live? Daddy didn’t tell me before..."

…I ran off into a blizzard, crying and calling him names…

"Well, it doesn’t matter. I still don’t know," she laughs, "and what do you and Jude like doing for fun?"

how to be brave
how to love when I'm afraid

Image by Araxel@DA

@Bartholomeo
Hold onto this lullaby, even when the music's gone.

Messages In This Thread
Family Matters - by Byron - 01-02-2017, 01:13 PM
RE: Family Matters - by Maude - 01-02-2017, 01:53 PM
RE: Family Matters - by Bartholomeo - 01-02-2017, 04:40 PM
RE: Family Matters - by Byron - 01-02-2017, 05:09 PM
RE: Family Matters - by Maude - 01-05-2017, 04:12 PM
RE: Family Matters - by Bartholomeo - 01-05-2017, 04:41 PM
RE: Family Matters - by Byron - 01-09-2017, 12:25 PM
RE: Family Matters - by Maude - 01-09-2017, 01:24 PM
RE: Family Matters - by Bartholomeo - 01-09-2017, 03:32 PM