the Rift

Walk Like Warriors [WARRIOR Rank!]

Roskuld the Sparklight Posts: 424
World's Edge General atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Tribrid :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 82 | Buff: ENDURE
Zchiraxicon :: Royal Rougarou :: Electric Smithers

The cold was here and it sucked but at least, on that day, the snow stopped falling. Now there was just a blanket of it covering everything, making your feet wet wherever you go with chunks of snow clinging to your fetlocks. The air itself wasn’t biting like I expected winter to be--I guess the salt in the air kissed it just enough so the mildness of the sea kept it from being so harsh--but you could tell it was gonna be muddy and awful when spring broke through.

I was looking at that snow now; at the dips and the trees and the pristine shine of it coating large swaths of land inside the World’s Edge. No shadowy hoofprints to break the even, glistening edge of the crusty snowdrifts.  And its untouched nature bothered me in a way I couldn’t place as I stalked to and fro, Chico gliding high on the chilly air since my back was too hot and fuzzy for him at the moment to perch. I scanned the land with my eyes, my ears combing for something, a voice, a shout, an anything, and it was days later before all the nothing I’d seen or heard finally compelled me to say something. 

I guess, coming to live here, I’d just assumed I’d fall in line in whatever task best suited me. I didn’t consciously think about it since, y’know, that whole crisis with this being the Moon’s land and the scruple of whether or not I was a traitor against my own ideals by calling this place home--y’know, the usual. I just...stuck around, hung out, and played grab-ass for a season and a half waiting for the call to action from someone who needed me to kick ass or at least train to do so, since that was a thing I could actually do, y’know?

But the call never came. And I didn’t think about it cuz, what, it ain’t like it’s my business, right? Except now I was standing here in a snow-covered land, and it was untouched--pristine--unbroken by any kind of patrol. It hit me with a punch I wasn’t expecting, an anxiety that was starting to steadily creep in my bones. This guy...what’s his name….Kisamomo. Kisamoa. Yeah, whatever. Kisamama’s appearance got me thinking about shit. Like. There was always gonna be something coming stalking this way, and whether or not Kisa’s intent was to do us harm didn’t matter, cuz there was gonna come a time when something who did wanna fuck it all up was gonna crawl their way over here and who was gonna be there at the border to keep them from taking it?

Who was I gonna fight beside?

Maybe I missed something, I dunno, I ain’t infallible. Maybe there had been a meeting, a call to action, and I’d just been missing the shit. Whatever, whatever, I’ll take that blame if I deserved it, but there was still something that needed to be fixed regardless. So I stopped in my tracks in the trough I’d cut in the snow with my pacing and belted out, “HEY, WHO THE FUCK FIGHTS AROUND HERE?” and waited to see who would come out the woodwork with a wagging finger.

talk

Like stars burning holes right through the dark
Flicking fire like saltwater into my eyes</style>

Ros is calling a non-mandatory Warrior meeting so she can meet everyone and get organized! I will reply to this on the 30th!

Please tag ROSKULD in every reply!

Nyx Posts: 292
Deceased atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 11 HP: 72 | Buff: SWIFT
Dominus :: White Lion :: None Snow
It had been one of the hardest decisions she'd ever had to make, deciding to step down from her position as General.

Telling Tembovu her choice had been a killer, and she'd felt like a complete coward for letting him down. Yet she knows she hadn't worn the rank well, and hadn't acted in a manner befitting of a General. Sure, she sparred and kicked plenty of asses, but she hardly went to the Threshold, hardly spoke with her warriors, didn't attempt to create any herd fortifications, and she'd made a complete tit of herself in the meeting when she'd spoken out about Alysanne. The Edge can do so much better than her.

The reason she gave was that she wanted to spend more time with her children, and indeed, that was part of the reason. She's been a close mother to Arakh and Esinakh, and without a list of duties weighing her down, she's been able to dedicate much more time to them. But that had only been part of the reason - truly, she didn't think she was capable. Somebody else could hold the rank with much greater success than her, so she'd handed it back.

It also hasn't escaped her notice that she isn't getting any younger. The changing of the seasons brought with it Nyx's eleventh birthday, and damn, she feels old. For the first time, she's noticed the cold creeping into her bones, making her ache and walk gingerly upon stiff legs. Old battlewounds seem to throb as the frigid air tickles them with its cold fingers, and fresh injuries are taking longer to heal. The ironheart truly never thought she'd get old; she'd always pictured herself forever young, not plagued by the aches and pains of age. She's far from decrepit, not quite over the hill yet, but she's sure as hell on the precipice of the hill - the only way is down from here.

The silver usually adores winter, but with her newfound pains she's actually finding it a bit of a chore. She's never been able to look at Frostfall in the same way since she gave birth during it, and remembers well the toll it took on her body. She's trying to find some decent grazing beneath a layer of snow when she hears the call; HEY, WHO THE FUCK FIGHTS AROUND HERE? Her ears pin at the loudness and brusqueness of the voice, although she's really not one to judge about swearing.

The grey mare turns and heads towards the call, alone due to Dominus being off hunting. The one who made it isn't somebody she recognises - she's a small thing, young, with patches of blue across her body and a tufty mane and tail. "I fight," she says, fixing the smaller woman with her curious blue gaze. "Nyx, Captain," she introduces.

Nyx
the storm inside the stars

image | coding

Other characters have permission to use magic/violence against Nyx at any time.

Ru Posts: 130
World's Edge Captain atk: 7.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.1h :: 3 [Tallsun] HP: 60.5 | Buff: Novice
Mar

A full year has passed, perhaps more since losing her mother. It was much more than her mother, rather a way of life that blew with the wind and dissolved with its careless inflictions. She’d been young and full of hope. She’d clung to the idea that the storm hadn’t won just yet. There was a chance that they had survived the terrible gales. That the separation, merely temporary, would come to a close with the arrival of a familiar call, wind swept smells and the sound of mother’s heart pressed eagerly against her ears.

A year had passed, and the girl was still trying to swallow the thorns of their death. Not that she noticed, as she wandered from the sky into the depths of the World’s Edge. All she had was her own thoughts to muse, and they rarely touched on the delicate matter. Strangely, they reappeared in the ugly throngs of spars.

With a heavy sigh she shook her head, her great wings carrying her through the land that would, might, become home. Whatever home would be. The lightest and brightest of her thoughts surrounded her newly acquired rank. That she might be useful and valuable sometime soon, that she could finally have her kingdom to defend from the evils of the world. Not that she really cared for it yet, or had friends or family to defend. Maybe one friend.

Ru’s gaze darted in the direction of the call. It made her snort, clearly amused; because she was beginning to think the same thing. And without a voice, it was somewhat of a nuisance, a haggle, to go about finding a warrior from stranger to stranger. Taking the time to pull out their words, and hoping that they’d keep things simple and short for her.

Trying to draw up enough bravado to answer the call – because crowds and things like that sucked – the child dropped elevation. Just enough to be 5 meters from the snow mounted ground.  Not too long from then she spotted two others; a white and black individual with curious markings. So dark were these they nearly appeared blue, just as the sun hit their hide. A unicorn; with shortened white hair. The other was also a unicorn, perhaps less exotic but no less mysterious. They seemed to exchange words, merely mumbles in the distance – the girl too far to hear them.

I can do this - she coached herself. Anxiety spiking briefly, just enough to send a thrill through her heart, as she landed not far. Gathering her wings together, because she felt more secure and steady that way. She trotted up to them with a trilling sound hanging in the air. A habit of intrigue as it swayed towards them.

They probably won’t understand. But hardly anyone else did, and people caught on fast - so it won’t be a big deal you dummy.

She stopped and dipped her feathered head in greetings. Sweeping her bright eyes across unfamiliar faces.

Eager to begin.

Image Credits
Please Tag
Permision to use any violence/harm; nothing that would cause immediate death

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah
This was definitely a first for Alysanne - she did not think she had ever been to a meeting for warriors before. She had never had a need or desire. Lately it had been on her mind again as she reassessed just how useless she was to the herd. She was a healer still, technically - the fact that she had lost her rank magic did not change the knowledge she had accumulated over the years.

But there would always be more that she could learn, more that she could do to be as useful as possible to the herd. So when she heard Roskuld’s voice calling out so creatively to gather the warriors together, Alysanne actually felt the desire to go.

Hemlock fluttered around her, a mixture of concern and excitement at war within the little owl - he wasn’t entirely convinced that this was the best idea she had ever had but it could be good.

Together they trudged through the snow and the forest until they spotted the small gathering of mares.

A small smile and a wink served as her greeting to Nyx - perhaps her presence here would prove that Alysanne had meant it when she said she wanted to learn how to fight. She nodded to the unfamiliar pegasus and to Roskuld as well when her gaze settled on the spunky mare who had called them here. “I don’t fight, but I would like to learn how.” Feeling suddenly bashful, wondering if her presence was even allowed, here, she ducked her head and added: “If you don’t mind, of course.” The you was directed broadly, a soft smile given to all those who had gathered alread. As far as she knew, Nyx was the highest ranked warrior here

She didn’t want to intrude or interrupt, of course, but this was something that had been on her mind for years. And after a few failed attempts, after letting the guilt of those attempts eat at her, she was willing to try again.
Alysanne
the devoted

image | coding
please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Okay, so I’mma be real for a sec: I didn’t actually expect anyone to answer me. Anyone important, anyway. Like, I was frustrated and wanted some wheels to turn and some action to happen so I screamed, and figured “Well, at least someone’s gonna be all offended by the language I used and would come down and shake me a lil’”. That’s a solid thought-process, right?

I didn’t realize the Captain would heed my call.

I didn’t realize the fucking Queen would roll up.

“Uh--” I said, blinking a little, when this older, grayer mare stepped up first looking at me with these piercing blue eyes. Nyx, Captain. At least her introduction was the way I liked it; short and sweet and succinct. “Ros,” I responded, “Uh….warrior I guess.” I’d never met with this mare before--I guess she was my commanding officer, then?I felt distinctly awkward at having been the person to lasso her into a conference. It felt insolent, and this was one of the only times I wasn’t trying to be, and that I cared that I was.

Another came up, this one much younger than the both of us but built right to kick an ass if she had a mind to. She didn’t say anything though--dipping her head instead, displaying the feathers that lined down her back (Freaky) (Shut up)--and I cocked an eyebrow at her for a sec, wondering if she was gonna throw her name out at us. I mean, it was only fair, right?I had an itch against that kind of person (for reasons) and I would’ve said something about it if Alysanne hadn’t come up on us.

But she did, and my attention was pulled away at the Queen making an appearance. I gulped, and Chico dipped down from the sky on his owl wings, plopping in the snow to look up at the mare whose garden he had unknowingly shit in about a year ago. Had he apologized yet? Of fucking course not, so of course this meeting with the Queen had its own layer of awk.

But she was offering to learn how to fight, which raised my brows. If you don’t mind, of course. “O-of course not!” I stammered, “I--I mean, I don’t see why we would or anything, I was just...uh…” As I spoke, my eyes were darting around, looking for anyone else who might show up, wondering just how dangerous this escapade would be to include the Queen.

But no one else appeared. I trailed off, my head starting to whip around violently as I started pacing again, waiting for the snow to be broken with any other approaching body. “Is...is this it?” I asked incredulously, turning to Nyx with a cocked brow. “No, nuh-uh, we gotta have more warriors than this, right?” It wouldn't shock me that some people would just go "f you" to some random chick screaming for a fight. But...the Captain, a warrior (maybe) and the Queen? Who didn't even fight? C'mon now.

talk

Sorry for the delay! @Nyx

Nyx Posts: 292
Deceased atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 11 HP: 72 | Buff: SWIFT
Dominus :: White Lion :: None Snow
The others that arrive complete what can only be called a pitiful lineup, and that's being kind. There's Nyx herself, Roskuld, queen Alysanne, and a small pegasus mare that she doesn't recognise. That's it. That is the might of the Edge's forces, forces that Nyx swore to marshal and command.

Apparently she failed even more than she thought.

Is this it? asks the Sparklight. Nyx sighs sadly, and nods. "There used to be more of us. But now..." She looks between herself, Roskuld and Ru, the only true warriors here - Alysanne has potential, but it will require training, and she will be too busy with her queenly duties to participate in many spars. It is a sad state of affairs, and the silver finds herself growing deeply concerned. If they were to be attacked now...It could be a massacre. There's only so much three women and their queen can do.

She looks to Roskuld. Although the woman isn't their General, Nyx finds herself looking to her for guidance, since she took the initiative and called this meeting. "What do you think we should do?" She has ideas herself, of course - try to transform existing herd members into warriors, head to the Threshold and recruit their asses off until their ranks are swelled - but she lacks the confidence to speak up about them. After her failed attempt at being General, she thinks she has lost her right to have an opinion. She can't help but feel that it's her fault they're like this, her fault that their numbers are so thin. She didn't exactly project an image of fortitude to any potential recruits, with her loud mouth and unflinching ability to say the wrong thing.

Nyx
the storm inside the stars

image | coding

@Ru

Other characters have permission to use magic/violence against Nyx at any time.

Mar

Ru leaves little room for her expectations – she is making an attempt not to fantasize what the call might bring. And for a moment she is settled between the two supposed warriors amongst her. Perhaps the one she most settles for is Nyx; where rank and experience proceed the mare, and churn Ru’s thoughts into suggestions of practice and future studies. Her gaze rests on the cold, outer infliction of the mare’s face. Expecting the Captain to lead the gathering warriors into direction, to swell and dive with purpose towards one or many goals at once.

And the girl is beginning to loose her hold on expecting nothing. Having grown in a small and quaint, nomadic caravan, the world offered many unexpected surprises. But with the arrival of their Queen, and the lack of bodies that trail and absorb around her – the quiet brings unexpected loss and disappointment. The mighty Edge is but a handful of souls to defend its great lands. Ru ushers a low and worried rumble from the depths of her throat. With a quick glance to Alysanne, from her soft and supple words the girl doubts her capabilities. Scars mark her frame, but the disposition of the Queen strikes the youth at odds with the craft of war and blood shedding. A simple nod is given as an after thought to the Queen’s intentions. Not that it mattered much, because Ru was merely a simple, inexperienced warrior to begin with.

It is with a façade that fades from her previous, beaming eyes, to a swirl of concern and trepid lips that press into a firm line. The one named Ros begins to pace, as if to echo the concern that appears to face every one of them. And the girl’s brows begin to furrow as she confronted Nyx with her words. Ru’s tail quivers from side to side as the Captain offers no solutions, as if agitated by the hollowness provided in those lips. As if some sort of defeat loomed above them, with the uncertainty of a ravenous invasion snapping at their heels.

“Ah-!”

She can’t place what swells up inside her breast. What provokes her forelimb to snap out and stomp the cold-crusted earth in defiance. The feathers against her neck flare, and her eyes reach out to the small, lacking group of warriors amongst her. She extends a wing to Nyx, draws it in before both wings flare out and include the others in a pointed sweep. The youth rears in an attempt to communicate to them. Kicking out her forelimbs together, as if she were in a fight in that moment, driving down to the earth with an imploring chirp.

Teach us! She wanted to say. Let us fight at least… Practice, they all needed practicing, right? They could start something here today; they could inspire their fellows to join them perhaps? But none of that would happen, if they remained as stagnant as their ranks had allowed them to be.

Perhaps the message wasn’t as clear as the girl had hoped it to be. But she darted her gaze to Ros, the youth’s body shifted anxiously in that spot within the snow. Eager for words, for direction, for anything to dismiss their deficiency for something grand that they could hold on to - a hope at least, to start the kindling within their hearts. Or whatever it was that each warrior held to propel him or her onwards into certain doom.

What were they waiting for?

Image Credits

@Alysanne
Please Tag

Auriel Posts: 122
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.2 Hands :: 3 (Ages Birdsong) HP: 66 | Buff: NOVICE
prissy
the cigarettes you light one after another
won’t help you forget her
I tucked my soft muzzle under my wing, squeezing my eyes closed as I suppressed a violent sneeze. The feeling passed, though it left me with a reverberating, dizzy head. The past couple seasons had been rough on my health, but I hadn't sought out a healer to aid my illness. 'It's just a cold,' I told myself over and over again, though I fell short on my duties until I had all but abandoned them.

Fortunately, whatever illness that had infected me had passed for the most part and I was ready to return to my work. I prowled the borders, pale amber gaze sharp, making sure there were none trying to infiltrate the herd I had pledge my allegiance to (though as the seasons passed, I had more frequently began to ask myself why, exactly, I stayed here—in the beginning, it was for the sake of keeping peace with my mother, but I never saw her anyways). It was then that I heard a bellowing call, a fierce beckoning within my own borders.

I paused, flicking my ears back, brow furrowing at the sound. Whoever it was called for those who fight, for the protectors. That's you. I sighed, beginning my trek through the trees in search of the origin of the call.

The scene I arrived upon was well underway once I showed up. My pale ears swiveled backwards, amber gaze rolling over the mares present. I ruffled my feathers awkwardly, realizing the last time I had seen Ros (the only time I had seen her before, actually) was when I was a child, right after the Falls was invaded. I could only guess how weak I looked that day in comparison to my strong, explosive sister. How many empty promises had I made in those days?

"Auriel, Sergeant," I stated simply with a hazy plume of smoke pouring from my lips. I aimed my terse introduction at the pegasus I didn't know, but my eyes remained on the ground, though I made it a point to not look cowardly. At the very least, I held my head high.

auri shows up late but at least she shows up? ^^;
image | coding
She walks in starlight in another world.
She is far away. She...she is far, far away from me.

The situation got a whole lot more scary when the tables were turned and my Captain turned to me for my opinion. Without a trace of snark, too. Like, I could’ve handled it if she wanted to scrap about me bein’ an ass and calling them all here without rank or authority--shit, I would’ve bit the bait at a heartbeat, but no, there was nothing ironic or challenging at all about the way she looked at me. About how they all looked at me, one of them with an alarmed zeal as she struck the ground with wordless energy.

Well….most of them looked at me. One of them, a black winged, smokey straggler came up, gave her name and rank, and let her eyes fall to ground. There was a !!! from Chico that I didn’t register at the moment and that he wasn’t really trying to explain right then, either. It was just a !!! that he’d need to remember to explain later.

I bit my lip at Nyx’s question--cuz, honestly, I did have ideas. At the very least I had an outline, an impression from long ago, back when I used to live in the Foothills: the memory of vague, colossal shadows tramping about; the constant presence of a patrol that made it damn-near impossible to go out and explore as an asshole kid; the persistent scent of sweat that permeated the sparring grounds (holy shit, do we actually have legitimate sparring grounds here?); the heavy tension of purpose laying on all of the herd like a thick blanket. All those feelings and more was synonymous to me with herd life, so it was a wonder that I immediately missed it without even really acknowledging its absence. So yeah. I had a rough idea on how things could work.

But I was also heavily aware that this was not the Foothills, because that was one of a few things that the Earth God himself decided was better dead (oops, salt). This was the Edge instead, a place that was creeping to the “loved” area of my headspace even though there was a ton of shit I still needed to sift through. Enough shit that briefly crossed my mind and made me wonder, for the briefest second, if this was an army I wanted to help build.

I bit my lip. Blue, green eyes were watching me, and I didn’t know how things were done in the World’s Edge anyway. But I was asked and after a moment of “Um”’s and “Er”’s and “I don’t--”’s, I tossed my head and rolled my shoulders, and there was a shift in everything of me--my voice, my stance, my uh...I guess my eyes changed too, but I can’t feel those directly to know for sure--because now I was getting down to business. I think,” I said slowly, reviewing everything that was leaving my mouth before I spit it, “We’re entirely too damn small to be any use anywhere, but we can’t just wander around aimlessly. We need some kind of order. So--” I looked around, assessing all who was there and everything I could tell from them in a span of like, I ‘unno, 6 seconds? It wasn’t much but it was a start of a pitiful spreadsheet, at anyrate. “We need patrols--both around the herd, and outside of it. You--” I looked at the youngest of us, that strapping young ‘gal with an eagerness in her earnest eyes, “and me are gonna run borders, day and night, as hard as we can without killing each other. I’ll see you later to hash it out.” It was gonna suck balls but until we had more warriors we were gonna have to do what we had to. Even if we found volunteers from the other ranks, I didn’t feel comfortable with someone running the border who wasn’t trained or eager to kick an ass.

You, Auriel,” I said, glancing at the latecomer’s smokey wings, “I need you to lead patrols out of herd, since you have--since you can fly.” I was nimble-quick in avoiding that touchy little sore on my personal pride. “You ain’t gotta run all over the goddamn map, but we need to know what’s moving around near us--like the Blue or the Meadow or--” I stopped, blinking; I took a step toward her, squinting for a moment, because something about her and the meadow jogged in my memory in a way that gave me pause. But I was too caught up in the torrent of shit to do that I turned away from her--slowly, grudgingly, but I couldn’t lose my train of thought.

“...Nyx,” I said, falling back into my thread of ideas she’d asked for, “I need both you and the Queen to recruit new soldiers, either from the herd or outside it from the Threshold.” I couldn’t ask the Queen to keep leaving on errands outside the territory--she had shit to do as is.

I looked at all of them. “These are primary tasks, but everything I just said applies to everyone else in part. If you leave, keep your eye out for something we might need to know. Get someone to join up as warrior. Bribe them, kiss their ass, I don’t give a damn but our priority now is to run patrol and recruit, goddamnit.” I paused, remembering what was probably the most important part. “Oh, and by the time autumn comes around I want to have fought each and every-fucking-one of you. Can’t keep getting fat and slow; if someone comes, we’re fucked on numbers so we gotta bite ‘em too hard for them to wanna keep messing with us.”

By the time I’d said everything on my mind and reeled it back in, I realized that Nyx had asked for goddamn ideas--but here I was barking at them, giving them directions, and I felt something burn in the back of my head that could’ve been shame if I wasn’t on such an adrenaline high. “So…” I finished lamely, not having the gall to ask “any questions?” but begging for someone to answer to whatever it was I had spit at them.

talk

---

Once everyone replies with feedback/*cough*dissent*cough*, these orders will be made official and posted in the Secret Room! Also posting order is a lie, let's just keep this moving! *kicks self*

@Alysanne
@Nyx
@Ru
Auriel

Mar

Ru glances briefly upon Auriel, the word sergeant crossing the air.

But it means little in the wake of their rag-tag team. She wonders briefly if they could actually pull this together, as a team. But the warrior’s cool features are hard to read, and with a sharp inhale she settles her restless eyes on Ros, feathered tail twitching.

There is a clear change in the robust figure – posed with a question their superiors should have been answering. But at least, Ru realizes, Ros has had the guts to gather who remains in the Edge– and finally she could put a voice, an initial drive to snap them out of their reverie. And the girl, Ru, fed on her words carefully as she listened.

When the unicorn addresses her, she automatically grunts in response. Lifting her head ever so slightly, tilting it to accommodate the task ahead. Without thinking what border running would entail, she nodded quickly, firmly with a sharp chirp. Running around was the least of Ru’s worries, wasn’t it? And perhaps the white and black mare might impart her knowledge of the lands. At least, provide an opportunity for the young one to sink her roots deep. Considering how long she had come and gone in Helovia, unanchored, drifting.

The mare acts slightly stranger when she regards the sergeant. It’s not her business though, not the nosey type – so she finds the interaction merely amusing for as long as it was there.

After they were given their assigned tasks – should everyone comply (Ru had no other alternatives that she could offer in that moment), the youth nods with a light grin. Glancing around her fellow peers with a heavy, warm rumble of approval.

She had much to learn, far too much – that she was nearly blind to her spotless skin. And yet her heart yearned and burned, naively, to dive headfirst.

Image Credits

@Roskuld    
- pretty much agrees with everything that has been said, lols XP  - sry this post is poops D:
Please Tag