the Rift

[OPEN] the fox who can't be moved

Tandavi The Fire Dancer Posts: 245
World's Edge Nurse atk: 6.5 | def: 9 | dam: 4
Mare :: Equine :: 16.1 :: 5 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Natraj :: Plain Kitsune :: Fire Charks

Tandavi the Fire Dancer

They return defeated.

Searching, always searching, but never finding- this is the song of the girl and the fox, their burden and their curse, the thing that binds them closer together while distancing them ever further from the outside world. Even Natraj has grown weary, repressed; he longs for stability, consistency, yet every time he thinks they find it it slips away like a laugh on the wind. Caneo was a promise on a starlit night, Amaris a gaping wound which cannot be healed, simply ignored. The boy who makes friends easily is bound to a girl who does not; who can blame him, when that burden at last takes its toll? He begged her to stay and she forced him to go, and now, sullen and silent, the pair return home.

Home- or is it? It's hard to say. The Edge looms before them, dark and ominous, silver mist glittering like glass in the twilight as it cascades down into the sea. In the dim twilight it is a river, a current of fatality, beckoning the girl and her brother closer. It twists and churns like whitewater rapids, concealing the point where earth ends and sky begins. It is deadly and beautiful, and the girl wants to point this out to the kitsune, but even as she reaches for his mind he pulls it away, sullenly denying her full access to their connection as he sulks, brooding, on the small of her back.

It has been this way since... well, she isn't sure how long anymore. Natraj fought against her when the girl decided to leave, his desire to find Caneo dwarfed by the yearning to remain in the comfort of home. But Firedancer is nothing if not adamant, stubborn, and most of all afraid- How can we be happy, she reasoned, If we don't keep the promises we make to our friends?

And your promises to me?
her brother answered; but his pleas were futile, his protests in vain, for Natraj had long been the support of the pair, the enabler, and the girl had learned to take him for granted long, long ago. By the time she realized it was far too late, and now, for the first time, the girl knew what it was to be her brother, to be shackled to a soul defeated by the world, saddened and morose and unwilling to have faith.

The experience is not fun.

"Natraj, we made it, look at the ocean," she tries again- but the fox just snorts, his gold eyes narrow and his body turned away. The girl frowns sharply, anger burning bright at the rejection of her olive branch, the refusal to get over it. It has been this way for days, now - Tandavi alternating between appeasing and inflamed, Natraj steadfastly ignoring her advances - and the Firedancer is nearing her wit's end. She wants him to love her again, to smile and laugh and chase fireflies- she wants him to be her anchor to optimism, and without him as her ray of light she is floundering, lost, a child sent away from home, unable to function without an adult.

Most of all, she is scared.

When he continues to ignore her she grows more enraged. "Natraj, please. Just talk to me!" the girl exclaims, her deep voice loud in the growing dark. "You wanted to come back, and we did, and now all you can do is sit there and sulk!" In response the kistune leaps gracefully from her back, landing with a soft thud upon the misty ground and turning to stare coldly at the copper filly, nearly invisible but for his great gold eyes. I'm sulking here now, so as not to inconvenience you, the expression seems to say- nothing passes through their bond, but the girl knows him well enough to read between the lines.

She scowls, but doesn't say anything, just glows in the glower of embers that dance on her back. She doesn't know how to fix this, and it's driving her mad.

Natraj licks his paw, for all the world as if to say, Now you know what it is to be me.

Your faith has you immured
So don't try and tell me that you still believe
No don't preach to me

Image Credits

Sacre & open! :D

o. pixel pony credit to tamme
o. permission granted to use force and magic on Tavi
o. only tag me in opening posts, please!

Sacre Posts: 274
World's Edge Emissary atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 5 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Inari :: Red Fox :: Heal & Ríona :: Common Kitsune :: Electric imi
From one season to the next, Birdsong blooming to life in the wake of a cold Frostfall, the dazzling sunsets hadn't gone unnoticed by the bright-eyed healer, who was making his way to the clifftops to watch another radiant ending to a quiet day. He had been mulching around in the Greenhouse recently, trying his best to ignore the urges to go back out into the Wilds, constantly reminding himself that he was a Doctor and shouldn't really be going missing too often. Of course, he still sneaked out now and then, 'searching for herbs' which he honestly did... amongst other things. He was guarded by two feisty foxes, trotting in front with their tails proudly aloft, strutting the way to the sunset show over the ocean. The warming weather was bringing a larger abundance of food with it, which pleased his two companions, who now gorged on a diet mainly consisting of squirrels and berries. Sacre teased them over their growing bellies as they hoarded their loads and ignored the red-eared boy's chiding, he was a king of fools anyway—Frostfall had left them famished (or so they said). When they made it to the edge, the moons mists devouring the cliff, the clan of three watched as the sky turned into deepening shades of red, reflecting against the ocean as the sun made its glamorous exit. 

The show was almost over when Sacre started roaming around again, twilight settling over the haze, his Sun God figurine, tied messily in his tail (it would probably fall out again later), glowed with the same red-yellow hues. He wasn't doing anything in particular, other than dawdling, when he stumbled across a flame that made his heart falter in its once steady beat. At first he thought it must be a trick of the mists, playing with his loneliness and tormenting him with a face that always filled his chest with butterflies. However, the closer he got the more real she became and he watched her silently for a moment, Natraj always by her side and braids in hanging her hair. She seemed annoyed and Sacre couldn't help but laugh, ardently and fondly, not knowing how long this meeting would last as infatuation consumed him.

"Poor little fox" he softly, jovially, smiled to Natraj and winked at him once before foxy mayhem caused a commotion. There was a flourish of tails and paws as they scampered towards Tandavi, dancing around her with small noises of happiness bursting from their quivering maws until they stopped long enough to beg their surly dark friend to come forth and play with them. Sacre watched them cheerfully for a moment before returning his round warm eyes to the Fire Dancer "Tandavi" he greeted comfortably with his ardent smile still lingering as he gazed. They always seemed to meet at moments he didn't expect, unplanned and unexplained, but delightful coincidences leading to fleeting words that engraved warmth into his dearest memory of her.

"What have you done to Natraj?" he laughed, looking between the two, mirth lining his face and knowing full well the the trials and tribulations of having bonded friends. Especially foxes he thought, which earned him a reproachful look from his fearsome double act, who had already learnt to ignore most of the time. 

on the day that you were born the angels got together
and decided to create a dream come true

yewrezz

charks <3

There's something wretched about this
Something so precious about this

❚ Force permitted!
❚ Please tag me!

Tandavi The Fire Dancer Posts: 245
World's Edge Nurse atk: 6.5 | def: 9 | dam: 4
Mare :: Equine :: 16.1 :: 5 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Natraj :: Plain Kitsune :: Fire Charks

Tandavi the Fire Dancer

Laughter cuts into their isolation, and the girl's neck swings up and back in surprise, dark eyes wide as she seeks the source of the intrusion. Anger pins her ears back; she's flustered at being caught in this vulnerable moment, her faults as a sister on proud display. She is ready to snap, bright frustration rising to her tongue in retort to this intrusion- but then it's him, and her anger dies as quickly as it rose, her face contorting from aggravation to surprise in the span of a silent second. "Sacre," the Firedancer breathes into the swirling mist, the beginning of something warm creeping into her gold-slashed cheeks. Her heart jumps, slightly, the silver mixture of pleasure and embarrassment that his presence never fails to bring dancing and peeking through her exhaustion, her fear.

He is preceded by a familiar pair of foxes, and both Firedancer and her brother feel their tension soften in the presence of the jovial trio they hold so dear. Natraj, never one to misplace his frustrations, is quick to respond to his friend's advances, his small body leaping into reciprocal action. Through yips and yowls he communicates in the strange secret language of foxes how much he's missed them, how much horses can be a pain in the ass. His sister picks up the gist of this bemoaning, and the rueful echo of what might be a smile slips across her lips, relief at his happiness shadowed slightly by pain that it couldn't be she who brought it back. This is what he'd wanted, after all: to be with friends, with comrades. To build a world outside each other, a stable, consistent world- to have a home.

Her onyx gaze flicks to Sacre, to the soft lines of happiness on his face, the familiarity of red and black that plays across his hide. "I made him leave this," she confesses, a gesture of her head indicating the reunited gaggle of foxes. "And he missed it."

She hesitates, then, a wraith wrapped in twinkling embers, apprehension suddenly gripping at her throat. In days gone by she would leave it at this, conclude with few things said and a million things felt. She would leave the rest of her thoughts to stew behind her eyes, praying for the world to read them and taking it as rejection when it, reasonably, could not. For all of her passion the girl is reserved, a slow-burning ember where flames used to fly, doused again and again by darkness and doubt until it is all she can do to maintain her faint glow. And where has it led her? Here, to this point, her defenses built so high that even her bonded is tired of trying to tear them down.

And Sacre? Sacre is happiness, consistency, familiarity, hope. He is the warmth she yearns for, yet even from him she quells and hides. Why? She's blamed the world for her isolation for so long, but maybe it is she who has to come out, not he who has to fight his way in.

"We missed you- I missed you, Sacre," she whispers, her voice faltering but ardent, her body moving hesitantly as she takes a step toward him. She is barely able to hear herself over the flutter of her heart, the raging doubt that warns her to stop now, that he doesn't want to hear it, that he doesn't care. His magic fills her, familiar musk and purple filling her nostrils, the comforting taste of it lending boldness to her hesitant tongue. "I'm sorry I keep leaving-" and she tries to meet his gaze, black eyes searching for blue ones, for some sign that this means something to him, that she means something to him, the way he means so much to her.

Means what? comes the ill-timed voice of Natraj; he has chosen now, of all times, to reassert his presence in their bond, and with it comes a jarring return to reality for the girl. She blinks, her eyes leaving Sacre in pursuit of the fox, her ears falling back in embarrassed uncertainty as she all but physically steps away, retreating toward the safety of her well-built defenses. But a crack remains open, a gaping invitation, and where she was minutes ago little but a smoldering ember there is a spark, a potential for something brighter, if only she can be brave enough to breathe light into the fire of her soul.

For now, she is eager to turn attention away from herself, to know more about him. "What have you done, since we saw you last?" she questions, her gaze turning back to land on his, her alto voice earnest and honest and inviting- she wants to know, to hear his stories; to be part of them, even, someday.

Your faith has you immured
So don't try and tell me that you still believe
No don't preach to me

Image Credits

@Sacre

o. pixel pony credit to tamme
o. permission granted to use force and magic on Tavi
o. only tag me in opening posts, please!

Sacre Posts: 274
World's Edge Emissary atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 5 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Inari :: Red Fox :: Heal & Ríona :: Common Kitsune :: Electric imi
In the first moment his gaze brushes hers, a bolt of warmth striking his jolting chest, the gentle amusement plastered all over his foolish face is only furthered by the initial angry set of her ears. Who was she expecting? Though it was brief and her expression soon altered, doing nothing for his faltering heart that sometimes leapt in joyous adoration, catching in his throat and robbing him of words. It was always like this when he came across Tandavi, seemingly out of the blue, unexpected meetings of wide-eyed surprise surrounded by the playful yips of foxes—never a moment to prepare. He smiles as she mentions his name "ah, I'm sorry did I intrude" he laughed, not really sorry at all, knowing it was selfish but he treasured all the time he got with Tandavi.

Natraj's frustrations isn't lost on his two bonded either, as they chatter away in their own curious language, relaying back their own exasperating experiences with one certain King of fools, who lacked the wisdom that surely only foxes knew. Not really knowing what they were saying, but knowing that it was about him and probably not the most glittering report, a wry grimace withered onto Sacre's face as he silently bemoaned their petulance with him—not everyone could be a fox. Feeling the gaze of Tandavi, he happily returned his attention to her, ignoring the babbling of bonded below. What he didn't know couldn't hurt him, right?

The Firedancer's explanation to Natraj's annoyance was something Sacre could understand, with his knitted brows accompanying his empathetic nod. He too had left Helovia and to the sound of an outcry by his two friends as well, who would always follow him regardless, but not without making sure they were heard. Born and raised here, they loved this place, had friends, knew the best places for dens, where the best food was to be found... Uprooting them had caused a disturbance that Sacre hadn't even thought about and, for that, he was sorry for being immature at the time, running after his father and away from all his problems. "They don't seem to like being made to leave" he snorted softly, side-eying Natraj "I think he loves you too much to sulk for too long" he winked at the kitsune, not knowing if he would make the situation worse or not with his playful presumptions.

From the last time he had seen Tavi to now the fox-boy wondered where she had been, if she was okay, had something happened? Sacre didn't really know an awful lot about Tandavi's circle of friends and family, he didn't like to ask such prying questions in fear he might upset her, their meetings were often sweet and happy that he never wanted to risk souring the mood. Yet, as her faltering voice pulls on his heartstrings, he worries about her more than ever before. She makes a hesitant step, he watches for a moment, letting her speak before shaking his head and, softly, took the opportunity to step towards her. With his token boyish smile beaming end to end, a pair of warm eyes so vibrantly blue against his dark face rising to meet her gaze, he finally offers the simple softness of his nose, trying to leave a gap between them and inviting her to come forwards into his embrace. Perhaps she would reject him, his heart fluttering anxiously, but he managed to put some semblance of words together "please, you have nothing to be sorry for" how many times had he disappeared after all? Still, here they were, meeting again "I missed you too, Tandavi" he fondly replied, feeling almost certain that everything he felt was probably plastered on every crevice of his face. Sacre had never been very good at hiding what he truly felt.

The uncertainty lingers with him, the language of the heart was complex enough to torment him, he didn't know if he was doing right or wrong, if she would move away from him—repulsed. It's almost a blessing to his poor aching chest to pause for a moment, even if he wanted to linger a little longer, but the topic turned to him and his recent escapades. Thinking about it he wondered what to say; he wore a new title, but didn't feel like he fit the outfit, he still knew so little about healing and was worried he might do something wrong, put someones life in jeopardy, despite the moon's magic that now mingled with his other, far more distasteful magic. Sacre hadn't used that power in years. He sighed, feeling like he couldn't lie to Tandavi "not a lot, but enough to be promoted to Doctor it seems" his troubled gaze shifts to the floor, the weight of duty bearing on his shoulders "I feel like I have a mountain to learn in front of me and I'm worried I might make mistake" he admitted, this time raising his head slightly revealing a worried half-smile. This wasn't like making keys out of metal after all, more mending bone and chasing fevers, repairing flesh and saving lives. 

Though Sacre doesn't remain downcast for long as a thought suddenly occurs to him and he glanced at Tandavi, mischief glinting in his gaze "I guess that makes you my Nurse now" playfully he poked his words at her, before continuing "no running off" he teased again lightly. Remaining on that note, he looked at the golden girl with braided hair curiously "where did you go?" his voice was light if not a little nosy.
on the day that you were born the angels got together
and decided to create a dream come true

yewrezz

@Tandavi

There's something wretched about this
Something so precious about this

❚ Force permitted!
❚ Please tag me!

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah

it is the rain that will strengthen your soul
Alysanne’s nights are not as terrible as they were last year, or last season, but she cannot shake the habit of wandering through the Edge during them. Settling into sleep was a luxury, something she did not feel that she could afford. They had warriors to patrol and she knew Tembovu and Iona were almost always keeping an eye out - but one extra pair of eyes couldn’t hurt. No matter how long she lived here, she was fascinated by how peaceful the Edge nights were. The darkness mingling with the mists seemed to drown out all sound.

She most loved to stand in a clearing, with the mist around her and the stars above, but tonight she was on the move. Hemlock flew alongside her, swooping and chasing the insects that awake in the darkness. He was the first to notice the glow of embers in the distance, a bright shine of fire but not enough to be concerned that her worst fear was being realized and that the Edge was burning.  

Those dancing embers were familiar and they brought a surge of joy in Alysanne and Hemlock. The little owl was greatly looking forward to seeing Natraj again!

They were a little ways off and by the time they arrived, someone else had already moved to greet the golden girl - another welcome, familiar face. “Tandavi! Sacre!” Alysanne called out to them, utterly ignorant of what conversation she might be interrupting, trotting over to greet them both. Her green eyes shine with delight, having grown particularly fond of these two young faces - no doubt helped by their interest in healing - but lingered on Tandavi when she continued speaking. “I’m so sorry if I’m interrupting but I couldn’t resist the chance to welcome you back home.”

Hemlock then came swooping in, adding a small volley of hoots as he searched for not one but three of his favourite friends.

image credits | coding by Neo

@Tandavi HOPE Y'ALL STILL DON'T MIND ALY CRASHING
please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries