the Rift

[OPEN] i ain't afraid of no ghosts

Volterra the Indomitable Posts: 785
Dragon's Throat Sultan atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17'2hh :: 3 HP: 80 | Buff: SENSE
Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow

V O L T E R R A
IF IT FEELS GOOD, TASTES GOOD, IT MUST BE MINE
HEROES ALWAYS GET REMEMBERED BUT YOU KNOW LEGENDS NEVER DIE

Azzuen, the Ardent. Volterra has not heard of him, but the fact he has a secondary name implies that he was somebody of note, as evidenced by the leviathan's own Indomitable title. She reveals that her sire battled to claim these lands alongside a woman named Kri, and the behemoth's eyes widen despite himself. This is history beyond anything he's ever heard of, because for his entire lifetime Gaucho had ruled the Throat. He wonders how many residents of the Throat remember such a time, the years before the Wildfire burned bright here.

The stallion's innate curiosity overrides his desire to appear aloof and uninterested. "That is a rich history you speak of. Gaucho ruled here for a number of years - I am not sure there are many here who remember a time before his reign." He lifts a handsome sculpted brow, his interest truly piqued. He hopes she will elaborate, educate his greedy ears with further tidbits of information about the history of this land to which he has pledged his sword. There is a certain level of irony to this situation that is entirely lost on Volterra - he cannot possibly know that, countless years ago, his great-grandfather Morgue the Womanizer had joined a herd led by Azulee's great-grandmother, Naryl the Fireslayer. The two had never seen eye to eye, yet their lines have met again now in roles somewhat reversed. Alas, this meaty history regarding his bloodline is not known to the titan, and thus he cannot question whether it is known to her, either.

She introduces herself as Azulee, and he files the name to memory. "If you decide to join us as one of our warriors, I will be more than happy to test your abilities." That burning crimson gaze of his darts across her again, knowing how difficult it is to fight winged opponents. Those massive appendages of hers could be used as a weapon, of that he's fairly sure. It would be a challenge, but even though the muscled Gladiator is a bona-fide warlord now, he is always keen to test himself against new kinds of opponents.

Judging by her apology about the news of Gaucho's death, Volterra can assume that she also knew him, perhaps even served beneath him. She then asks if Aithniel is a fair Sultana, and the stallion pauses to contemplate the question. Considering he has had a child with the woman, there is a lot about the Inquisitor he still does not know. He is loyal to her and to this land, and he has a definite level of appreciation for her untamed, fiery beauty and the strong son she bore for him, but truthfully he has no real ideas about her personality. She is still his Sultana, however, and he is honour-bound to defend her, even if a little Sikeax-shaped figure in his head makes him feel almost guilty for it. "I would say she is fair, yes. She is not afraid to stand up for her beliefs or to fight against a regime she deems unacceptable, and whilst she is relatively new to the role, I have faith in her." The honesty is open, gaping, raw. Aithniel had fought to take the herd from Sikeax when she disagreed with the Sea Soul's leadership; Volterra might not have approved of it, given that Sikeax is his friend, but he can still appreciate the meaning behind it. She had also fought against Kaos when many others retreated, and had stood up for them against the missionaries from the Basin. Fair is a subjective word, but Volterra believes in her.

"Everybody in the herd is assigned a patrol in one of the neutral lands every season, but I expect us warriors to patrol the Throat regularly to search for any potential threats. I also expect each of us to spar regularly in order to keep ourselves in prime condition - I suggest sparring against a variety of opponents both inside and outside the herd to ensure you have experience dealing with anything thrown in your path." Protection of the herd is paramount after all, even if its island status means that it is better protected than most herds. "Regarding prisoners, I confess that we have not had one during my time here. I would assume, however, that they would be held in relative comfort until such a time as they may be sentenced." In Volterra's humble opinion, cowardly thieves and child-murderers should be held in the highest amount of discomfort and torment, but alas, he does not make the rules, he only upholds them.

"With regards to trespassers..." He allows a small, amused smile to ghost across his handsome features, a reference to how he'd reacted to Azulee herself only a short time ago. "Approach with caution until you ascertain their reason for being here. Like yourself, they may be outcasts looking for a home....but remain on your guard in case they are not." His own muscles have only just begun to relax, having realised that this mare is not here to attack.

image credits

sudden word explosion :|

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]
[ use of force/magic on him is permitted aside from death/maiming ]

Messages In This Thread
i ain't afraid of no ghosts - by Azulee - 01-30-2017, 02:13 AM
RE: i ain't afraid of no ghosts - by Volterra - 02-01-2017, 02:20 PM
RE: i ain't afraid of no ghosts - by Azulee - 02-04-2017, 04:45 PM
RE: i ain't afraid of no ghosts - by Volterra - 02-05-2017, 06:04 AM
RE: i ain't afraid of no ghosts - by Azulee - 02-05-2017, 12:50 PM
RE: i ain't afraid of no ghosts - by Volterra - 02-06-2017, 01:08 PM
RE: i ain't afraid of no ghosts - by Azulee - 02-09-2017, 01:06 PM
RE: i ain't afraid of no ghosts - by Volterra - 02-11-2017, 10:07 AM
RE: i ain't afraid of no ghosts - by Azulee - 03-16-2017, 01:58 AM