the Rift

[OPEN] regrets like raindrops

Tandavi The Fire Dancer Posts: 245
World's Edge Nurse atk: 6.5 | def: 9 | dam: 4
Mare :: Equine :: 16.1 :: 5 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Natraj :: Plain Kitsune :: Fire Charks

It's time to unload.

The girl comes alone, her faithful shadow stubbornly stationed beneath a tree in the World's Edge. More and more the inseparable siblings have found themselves apart- it is part of why she's here, a splotch of copper on a horizon of blue, her hooves marking uneasy furrows in the crumbling clay and sand as waves dance and laugh, unheeding and uncaring for the tumultuous thoughts within her head. Dark eyes narrow; she scowls at the sea, as though it has personally affronted her, as though it is responsible for the guilt she drowns in, the anger she strives so hard to quell. How dare it be happy, when she is so lost. How dare it be full, when she is so empty.

Fire Dancer has few friends, fewer she feels comfortable divulging the full extent of her discontent to- and so instead she seeks out an enemy, a mare she alternately disdains and admires. "Ampere!" the girl's voice cuts through the air, fruitless in the expanse that separates the Throat from the mainland, a distance which has never felt so far to her before. She feels naked beneath the noonday sun, painfully aware of the empty space on her breast where a key once hung, an emblem of belonging she has long since lost. How long has it been since she felt truly at home? Since she held a place she could believe in? Since she was Sun Physician, Oracle... Sultana? The Throat is a fond yet distant memory; she yearns for the hot sand, the warm sun- but it is also another in a long list of failures, and the girl's heart clenches in bittersweet nostalgia as she gazes upon the island she can no longer call her own.

She sighs, and snorts, the thick braid of her forelock falling into her eyes. Fire Dancer feels exposed on the beach, a beacon of weakness in a warm spring day, and yet, for once, she does not care. She is tired - tired of bottling up her anger, tired of trying to be strong, of hopes and fears and loves unspoken, of secrets. Unspoken things are what drove the wedge between her and Natraj, a thousand tiny shards of doubt and resentment piling up util one day she woke up and could not see the other side, could not find him in the cloud she'd wrapped around herself. She must free herself of those blinders, she knows, if she's ever to repair the bonds she's broken- if she's ever to be more than half a soul. She must shed her secrets- and who better to lay them on, than the mare from whom she has hidden the most?

"Ampere!"

- Tandavi -
I'll light a fire in your new shoes - look out that your soles don't burn to the floor

Image Credits

Tandavi is on the far shore, yelling like a crazy
@Ampere

o. pixel pony credit to tamme
o. permission granted to use force and magic on Tavi
o. only tag me in opening posts, please!

Ampere The Mother of Companions Posts: 719
Dragon's Throat Sultana atk: 9 | def: 11 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 hh :: 6 years HP: 73 | Buff: DANCE
Kygo :: Green Cheek Conure :: None Blu
the
Mother of Companions
It comes to her, through her, like a bullet on the breeze. Her name - a shout from familiar lips which she cannot yet place. Kygo kindly repeats it for her, blaring out, "AMPERE!" with a raucous joy that only amplifies when she shoots him a cross look. His green wings alight from the tree top he'd roosted in and she'd sheltered under, napping in the midday sun, the heat of an approaching summer already a threat.

He races ahead of the blue mare, his flight pattern erratic, a tactic to avoid predation - though so is staying with her. He's careless though, much more interested in what mischief awaits on the borders, giddy when a second shout streams forth with a hot urgency that quickens his flight as it does her steps. She's looking more refreshed than normal, though nothing like where she should be. Birdsong has been kind to her appetite, enticing her with the sweetest of foods, and it has simply marked time. Supposedly time heals all wounds, or more aptly put, time makes you used to all wounds. Ampere isn't healed, but she is now accustomed to hurting, and like anything that is constant, it becomes less noticeable.

So she moves through the sand at a gait faster than her recent trudge, but decidedly lacking her normal purpose. That's when she receives a flash from Kygo of the fire mare, causing Ampere to halt in her tracks (partially because being flashed in the brain with someone else's awareness is fucking disorienting).
"Tandavi?" she asks, mostly to herself, but Kygo picks up on the mental conversation and offers an unhelpful sort of shrug. He doesn't pay attention. Ampere presses onward, a new eagerness to her stride. She's not sure she can call the mare friend, not sure she ever could, even if she did, but all the same she has missed the grounding effect of the old Diviner. Maren may be hotter and just as bluntly honest, but Tandavi would always be her first.

It would be nice to say she appears before Tandavi, but with the wide open desert they'd each see the gradual smudge of the other's body coming into closer form. Ampere pulls up to the shore, then halts, the divide of the ocean an obvious separation between them. The blue mare stares, her feelings knotted, before she extends her wings and glides across, Kygo joining her then.

"Tandavi?" she asks as she coasts down and lands easily in the sandy wilds before the herd. There's a question in her tone, it had been there from the start, but it deepened when she picked up on some of the heat churning in Tandavi, there in the taut hold of her muscles. Mildly confused, Ampere stayed guarded, but hopeful. "Have you decided to come back?" No accusation, and no promise either. Ampere didn't like her herd, her family leaving, but she didn't condemn it either when she'd been just as much of a culprit. She'd welcome her family back, always, but she'd fight to make them stay if she could first (as Megaera could testify).

It wasn't exactly up to her any more though.
I've been trying to fix my pride
But that shit's broken

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

She paces anxiously, awaiting Ampere’s arrival with a mixture of anticipation and dread. Half of her hopes the electric mare won’t hear – that her voice will not carry, her scent will be dulled by the wind on the sea. The other half prays to get this over with quickly, aches for resolution, yearns to unburden herself at last. There is a bittersweet quality to standing on the sand, staring at the island where she spent so much of her youth; Fire Dancer yearns for those rolling dunes, but they are gone now, her key returned, her legs grounding her firmly on this side of the sea.

Ampere is a dark stain on the far horizon; the child feels herself drawn toward her, eagerness and anxiety fueling her tightly wound form. They meet on the seashore and for a moment she’s still, a mess of emotions rising in her chest. Familiarity, forgotten memory- the blue mare is a catalyst for the copper child; their meetings are always fraught with emotion, and the Fire Dancer relishes this moment of calm before the storm. “No,” she answers, deep voice shaking with things unsaid. The girl shakes her head, searching for words, inevitably falling short. “No.”

She notices the green bird, and despite the trail of magic between them the significance does not register to the girl – the idea of Ampere with a companion is utterly unfathomable, and Tandavi is too wrapped up in her present predicament to notice this significant change in the mare. Copper child is struggling, trying to balance her heightened emotion with tact, trying to find the right way to confess, to tell Ampere all she has to say. Natraj would know; Natraj would tell her. But Natraj isn’t here.

“Ampere,” the girl repeats, solemn, severe- and then, tongue tied, stops. A million times she thought this through, planning the words, preparing her statement- but now that she stands before the mare she is mute, unable to thrust this information upon her friend/herdmate/partner in dramatic events. Does Ampere deserve to know this? Is she strong enough? Is Tandavi strong enough to bear the potential weight of her wrath?

In the end, she goes with blunt. Dark eyes focus on the windblown Pegasus, and the girl’s voice is flat and still. “I think Aithniel is your daughter. I was there when she hatched, abandoned in the desert. I was too young to take care of her.” She doesn’t get into Hertz- not yet. She waits for the inevitability of Ampere’s response, anticipating anger from the volatile mare; but as she waits she breathes easier, a little of the weight off her overburdened chest.

- Tandavi -
I'll light a fire in your new shoes - look out that your soles don't burn to the floor

Image Credits

the
Mother of Companions
Ampere is so similarly focused on Tandavi that she doesn't notice the lack of the fox, Natraj, that was always with fire dancer. Companions were normally the first thing Ampere would always notice, and their names, if they were ever properly introduced, would linger must stronger in her memory than the calling of any horse. Ampere has been, distracted, in the past few years though, growing steadily more complacent compared to the mare Tandavi so strongly remembers up on the Veins.

The fire which had held Ampere's gaze had gone out though, and in the absence of its heat and its light, Ampere had only the cold and the dark to watch. It allowed old, wild things to get close again.
For now though, Ampere was still adjusting to the night, and Tandavi's was a flame that still burned bright.

Ampere's hopeful query is pierced by the simple word, no. Ampere's features falter faintly, but soon enough her expression reforms with intrigue, wanting to know the purpose of Tandavi's presence then if not what she asked, and why she seemed so fidgety. Briefly Ampere wondered if she wanted to come back (it seemed hard for Tandavi to say no), but couldn't due to... an obligation? A tyranny? A new sand allergy?

The sound of her own name dispelled whatever imagination Ampere was running off with. Her gaze re-focused on Tandavi, intent to know as her old friend(?) continued to noticeably struggle. Ampere was about to crack a joke to lighten the mood, or demand the girl spit it out before they both turn gray, but then there it was- out just like a fresh foal, wet and ugly and exhausting.

Ampere could only blink, too stunned to do anything else.

Her mind is blank at first, but then suddenly, as she digests what was just said and the weight of that, her thoughts are careening out of control, wreaking havoc all within her. Ampere tenses, her body tugging in tighter to itself, though her hooves never lift. The lines of her face grow taut, and something in her eyes harden.

"What?" Is all she manages to say, to stutter, out of the plethora of shit buzzing on her mind and on her tongue.

She's surprised of course, shocked even, but there's also a certain calm to her that wouldn't exist if this - if this was the first she'd heard of it.
This was the first real proof she had, which was the reason for any of her response. For some time now she'd had her own suspicions now, and of course there was that snake-poison dream where a whale told her (what's not to believe there), so there'd been some gentle hints. Always though there was that lack of confirmation, that little wiggle of doubt. This however was something much more tangible, much more encompassing, taking up all the room where he doubt would normally sit.

"Are you certain?" she still asks, just to be sure, but even as the question leaves her mouth her body is softening, her heart is accepting.
"I was too," she finally says, gently, guiltily.

A pause, because Ampere wasn't trying to defend herself or seek forgiveness, just offering an explanation, and then she says "Thank you for ensuring she lived. Do you know who raised her?"
But that shit's broken

@Tandavi

Remarkably, Ampere takes it all pretty well. It makes the girl uneasy. "Yes," she answers, ears tilted back in uncertain confusion wariness marking the lines of her eyes. "I knew after Zèklè - after I saw his egg." She watches carefully, waiting for some sign of bottled wrath, of imminent implosion, but the anger doesn't come. There is tension in the little blue mare, to be sure, but no sign of wrath.

This next part is harder, and the girl swallows heavily, guilt creeping into her alto voice. "She... grew up in the Basin," Fire Dancer confesses, eyes still searching for any reaction from Ampere. "She said she had friends there. She... she asked about you." What was it like, to find a part of you had been born and raised outside your sphere of knowledge? To have abandoned something, only to have it return, new and grown?

"But she doesn't know you're her mother. Or- she didn't, then."

The girl frowns slightly, her dark eyes heavy with emotion. She is still angry, still dimly alight with the passion that led her to confess this secret, still enraged that Ampere, Mother of Companions, could abandon something she was so inherently bound to - her child. In a way she wants Ampere to be angry, to be shamed, to lash out with her characteristic emotion- doesn't she care?

There is one more confession, of course, but she isn't sure how to make it. The girl feels this one keenly, her own part in it a bright spark in her mind. This time, Tandavi knew. She could have told Ampere years ago- but instead she deliberated, introspected, and judged. Had it been the right decision? Had she any right to make it? Older now, wiser, she feels the weight of it like dumbbells on her back.

She'd kept the secret of Ampere's child from her then. But it is time to abandon her secrets, now.

"There's more," Fire Dancer whispers, black eyes focused on the mare's blue. "The other egg, when Zèklè was born... it hatched. Alija found it, and kept it, and raised the boy that rose from it. Hertz is also your son."

- Tandavi -

Image Credits

the
Mother of Companions
Tandavi's confirmation washes over Ampere like the sea; salty, so it stings against open wounds, yet oddly comforting, a serene power that tickles as it sways across her. The acceptance of this fact is difficult - after all her experience as a mother now, it's awful to face the abandonment of that egg, of her precious daughter, of the Sun's daughter. Yet she is thankful to finally know, to be at peace where the doubt was gnawing, and to recognize her mistakes as she had so many others. She cannot change what was done now, as much as she might wish, so she is merely grateful she can see the product of her grown daughter, powerful and independent. She smiles faintly at the last vision she held of Aithniel, triumphant in her overthrowing of the Seasoul.

The smile falters as Tandavi goes on. First her heart prickles with concern that the poor child grew up in the Basin. It's cold there, Ampere thinks, knowing the chill settles in more ways than one. Then, a nauseates guilt when Tandavi confesses the girl asked of her cruel, neglectful mother.
"I see," Ampere manages after a moment. Her tone has grown softer, more weary, as have the lines on her face as the details of her past mistake gradually make themselves known. "Thank you... for telling me. It's been something I've wondered for a while. I tried to ask the Sun God once but he didn't answer me, and I was never quite sure given how quickly she aged... God's blood I suppose." Ampere was genuine, and the blue stare she held Tandavi with was hurt, but also apologetic. "I'm a different horse now," she admits, "A different mother." A half smile, because there's not truly humor. "I've you to thank for that. It's a role I've embraced since you helped me face the responsibility, if only I'd managed to do it first with her."

Ampere falls quiet then, wondering if she ought to tell Aithniel, or if it's better to leave it be. She hasn't had a mother all this time after all, would she really need one now?

Ampere might have wondered why Tandavi was telling her all this if she weren't consumed by what was being told. The Fire Dancer's voice beckons her focus once more as she continues to go on, and obediently Ampere's head and gaze lift from the thoughtful stain she'd been pouring her vision into on the ground.

At this new however, Ampere is shaken.
The other egg...
... it hatched.
Hertz...your son.

Ampere's response is not immediate, the shock leaving her breathless, her eye lashes motionless over her impossibly wide (horrified) eyes; only the beat of her heart indicates she still lives, and it is frantic. The edges of Ampere's body starts to dance away as her hide and color are consumed by sparks of electricity. The blue, raw energy pulses where her form once was, suggesting more than ever that she embodies lightning, for better or for worse.

As Ampere fades, it seems so too does her silence. As electricity crawls across all of her, leaving only spots of dark hide and soulful eyes, does she finally respond, and it is with her characteristic tempest nature.
"WHY WOULD YOU KEEP THIS FROM ME!?" the lightning horse screams, spark-lit body recoiling away from the fire-mare, storm-brushed wings lifting in outrage.

"YOU KNEW!" she accused with a shriek. "YOU KNEW ALL THIS TIME!"

But that shit's broken