the Rift

If you hear my voice, come pick me up {Joining/Open}

Baldur Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
ONLY A WARRIOR knows
the true meaning of war

The heavy, dark hooves slowly moved the stallion forwards through the forest, each leg hurting with every step. The short tail whipped away the few flies that tried to disturb him, and he slung his head to wake up a bit. He almost fell asleep in this huge forest, with it's giant trees who's giant crowns of leaves left a shadow on the ground.
The darkness surrounded the equine, making him sleepy and not as alert as he would be usually. He had walked a long way, all the way from Kirinia - where he was born just like his brother and sister. The stallion raised his head a bit and a vision of his siblings appeared in his head.

He missed Carson and Gyda, but there was nothing to do to make it right. His older sister lived with her stallion and his younger brother lived with their father.
Gyda would've too, probably, if only she was Bolthor's daughter. But she was a result from an earlier stallion. The equine snorted, and thought of his dear family. He had to leave them. The war would've probably killed him if he had stayed.
Even though it was over by now, after 1 and a half years of wandering, he still wondered if his mother still lived. Amora had been his lifeline throughout his life, the one who always were there for him when he needed support.

As he thought of his dear mother, he didn't notice the root that was sticking out of the ground. He lost his balance for a second, but quickly regained it. The stallion snorted at himself.
'I have to be more careful. It could've gone worse.' He thought, and became more alert about his surroundings.
His minty orbs observed the nature around him and after a while, he found it pretty boring. Didn't anyone live in this lush forest?
It would be nice with some company.

Word count: 320
OOC: Any grabby hands that wants to drag him to their herd?

Walk, walk, walk.
"Talk, talk, talk."
Think, think, think.

Xira Posts: 67
Up For Adoption atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.2 hh :: 7 HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Kye :: Red-Footed Falcon :: Read Adoptable

The concept of family ties, of relying on others, was foreign to the petite pegasus mare. Even on days when her duties were few and far between she avoided contact with her herd members. She understood loyalty to a certain extent, friendliness as well, but she had trouble grasping the idea that the same rules applied to her as they did to others. She was different, wasn't she? Normal conventions had failed to apply to her for years, she saw no need for them to start now.

But loneliness was unavoidable, as much as she wished it weren't. On occasion she would find herself seeking out her old 'family' out of necessity for a reminder of her past. It kept her sober and grounded- forced her to remember that she would never be bound. But while she missed the freedom, she reluctantly supposed that there was something comforting about being a part of something, even if that something was dull and a little too focused on staying out of trouble for her liking.

Today was one such day that she felt the loneliness and yet sought company outside of the borders of her home. She had flown as far as the edge of the threshold, but decided better than to attempt to fly through it. Trees were an obstacle that even she could not avoid. And so she stalked silently upon the earth, overtaken by the chameleon magic that forced her into invisibility, while Kye flew overhead and in advance, informing her company of absolutely everything that she saw.

Tree! Tree! More tree! The bird chirped happily into Xira's mind and effectively giving her a headache. Yes, tree, Kye, Xira had grumbled back with frustration aimed at the bird that took such pleasure in driving her mad. The green roan proceeded to drown out the bird's incessant speech to the point where when Kye said something new it was too late before Xira registered it. The pegasus mare had been walking with her head down and her attentions elsewhere while her mind drifted in the clouds and pictured flight when she had understood Kye's word. Stranger!

Xira stopped short only a few footfalls away from the massive fjord. The shock of the sight was enough to cause her grip on her still-new magic to slip. In an instant the shroud of invisibility disappeared, and she stood before the equine with a look of surprise and instantly flared wings. She appeared defensive in her stance and found herself wanting the comfort of Kye perched upon her shoulder. The falcon remained in the trees above.

"Uh, hello!" the mare said quickly, fumbling for the first time in quite some time as she tried to regain her composure. In mere instants she had a hold over her outer emotions, but still the surprise burned her breast. How had she let him sneak up on her like that? She was the one who was supposed to have been doing the sneaking. Still, she shook it off, doing her best to ignore the fact that she had seemed to appear out of thin air, that she had stumbled and lost her grip on her confidence. "Are you seeking shelter, stranger?" Xira asked while the mental notes of what to do and what not to do when greeting a prospective herd member ran through her mind. On her own she would never have convinced anyone to join the Tuuli- she was thankful for her memory and ability to lie.

Unregistered
ONLY A WARRIOR knows
the true meaning of war

The giant sighed and continued his walking. Where was he? The minty eyes observed his surroundings once again. He didn't recognize this forest at all. The tall trees, the lush grass mixed with dirt under his hooves...
'I must've entered a new land of some sort. It sure didn't look like this in Kirinia, neither in that land I traveled through... What was the name? Dixtrod? I have to ask someone here - if I ever find a living creature that can speak.' He lost himself in his thoughts, and almost bumped into a small pegasus in front of him.

He widened his eyes and stared at it. Where the hell did that come from? It hadn't been there a few seconds ago. He observed the pegasus with critical eyes, like if it was a ghost. He slowly started to back away, but then it spoke.
"Uh, hello!"
The stallion stopped in the middle of a step, and looked at it. The voice was female, which concluded that this was a mare. He tilted his head and watched her with a confused look in his eyes. Did she possibly live here?
The little mare seemed just as surprised as he felt, and he suddenly smiled wide.
God, she was small. Atleast 11 inches smaller than him.

The huge Fjord cleared his throat, and a little chuckle ran out between his lips.
"Hello, little one.", he spoke and looked at her with a more amused look. He listened to the mare's words again and slightly nodded to her question.
"In fact, I do seek shelter. Hopefully a permanent one, too. My name is Baldur, and may I ask for yours?" He pronounced his name strangely, not like others would if they saw the spelling. When he said it, it sounded like Bálderr - mostly because of his origin.

Baldur took a step closer to the strange, green mare and lowered his head so that he could see into her eyes. Hehe, she was just almost as big as Gyda, just a little smaller.
He smiled again, and waited for her answer.

Word count: 350
OOC: Hehe xD

Walk, walk, walk.
"Talk, talk, talk."
'Think, think, think.'

Aylin Posts: 89
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.0 :: 3
ali
No amount of running could soothe the ache that I felt in my heart when I learned that the Foothills warriors were marching against the Edge. Mauja was someone I considered a friend. He had never done anything to harm me and yet we were marching against him? It didn't make sense. I don't understand how anyone can preach understanding and yet go against someone because they don't share the same beliefs. That is not understanding. It's warmongering. I had also heard through the grapevine who had begun this march against someone I considered a friend. I found it hard to believe at first that Mirage would stoop to that level. I found myself hoping that Mauja and his herd would be able to defend themselves. Hadn't they been through enough with the Sun God burning down the forest?

Trees moved past quickly and I found myself dodging more and more branches. Tallis' worried trills and chirps above me was what finally made me slow down to a more manageable pace before stopping. My sweat lathered sides heaved as I struggled to catch my breath. It took several moments before I finally felt comfortable enough to walk, so I did. I wasn't expecting to walk right up on a pegasus and an equine, both of whom I had never seen before.

"Hello." I tilted my head, mindful of the direction my horn was pointed. The flutter of wings and a trill alerted my to Tallis and moments later his weight settled comfortably on my back. "I'm Aylin and this is Tallis." I motioned to the orange dragon that had settled on my back. "We live in the Foothills."

He calls her little, and instantly she feels fire burning in her breast. She understood that he was older, she definitely understood that he was taller, but he had no right to speak to her like that. She found herself biting her tongue to keep from biting off his head, found herself shouting mentally instead to Kye, who fluttered with displeasure at the noise and dove from above when it grew to be too much. Kye's aim was perfect- it always way- and when she swept down from the canopy and stretched out open claws towards the mare, they found purchase on Xira's neck flawlessly. The falcon perched there and gave the stallino the look that her company couldn't- a look that showed how much hate Xira felt.

The worst part was that, because of fucking diplomacy, she couldn't do anything about it. If she wanted to stay in the herd she'd have to even out her habits somehow and make herself useful in a positive way. Stealing from other herds was all well and good for her, but she couldn't keep it up as she had been doing without consequence, and after the commotion caused because of Jackal, she worried that the next capture could be the straw that broke the pissy pegasus leader's creaky old back. And so she found herself brushing aside the comment with a forced smile, replying with a pleasantry that felt foolish on the tongue.

"Height means nothing, Goliath- surely you know that just as well as I," she said civilly, a slight smile twitching at the side of her lips. She couldn't help but assign him a name to match. He introduced himself soon after, but she paid it no mind. Yes, Baldurr was quite a nice name- perhaps someday she'd even call him by it. "I am Xira of the Tuuli, a herd that presides close by in the land known as the Dragon's Throat. We welcome those from all walks of life, should you desire a home." She said in a straightforward manner, trying to hide the fact that her words were little more than a recitation. Her eyes, dark peacock blue, flickered to meet his pale green gaze even after she spoke. From her perch, Kye pecked at her company and whistled softly, doing her best to gain Xira's attention.

Not now, Kye, she chided the falcon, brushing her aside with a quick toss of her mane as she straightened up. She supposed if she cooled herself down, she didn't really mind the comment about her height. It was nothing she was ashamed of- in fact, it proved to be quite useful. No, she did not mind that, she simply minded being treated like a filly.

As if on cue, a black yearling that matched her in height wandered into the clearing and quickly, effortlessly, began rattling things off. Perhaps this whole being nice deal was easier for others than it was for Xira. Kye twisted her gaze to face the dragon that fluttered around the unicorn and clacked her beak with annoyance, but a quick shudder of Xira's neck warned her away from any signs of hostility. That was not why they were there. She nodded politely to the yearling and met her gaze, but only briefly- Baldurr was the object of their attentions now. Here came the competition.

Unregistered
ONLY A WARRIOR knows
the true meaning of war

"Height means nothing, Goliath- surely you know that just as well as I,"
As he heard her answer to the comment about her height, he laughed warmly and then looked at the mare. He didn't mind at all being called a giant, because it was one of the things he was proud of. Thanks to his grandfather Bruce that had been a purebred Clydesdale, the height passed on to his father Bolthor - and then to Baldur.
Though he was the only one in the family who reached up to 17.2 hands, except for Bruce.
Baldur gazed at her falcon for a moment, who seemed to be longing for her attention. The ears on his head caught the words she spoke next, and a smile once again decorated his lips.
"Greetings, Xira of the Tuuli.", the stallion said, and just as he was going to continue speaking something caught his eye.

A black yearling appeared out of the trees, bringing a small dragon with it. The dragon had an orange skin of scales, a great contrast to the black coat of the young unicorn.
The yearling was rather beautiful, actually, with white mane and tail and green eyes. He made a whinnying sound in his throat, though a little darker and grittier, to welcome the young horned one.
"Hello, I'm Aylin and this is Tallis."
The voice sounded like a young mare's tone, and Baldur smiled at her. He loved young ones, even if they could get in the way sometimes. The stallion listened carefully to where she came from and looked at her. Foothills? He turned his head to Xira, and tilted it slightly. Throat? He had never heard of these places they talked about, but would probably find out soon enough.
"Greetings to you as well, Aylin. And you too, Tallis.", he said and smiled a warm smile to both of the mares.

Baldur cleared his throat a bit, and took a step back from them to see them better.
"I come from Hjertemot, one of the herds in the land of Kirinia." The stallion's minty colored orbs observed the two. Then he thought of this funny situation. One equine, one pegasus and one unicorn - all in the same place. Sure, all three species existed in Kirinia as well, but they were never collected in the same herd. Ever.
After a last glance at the two mares, he awaited their answer.

Word count: 404 (That. Is. Awesome.)
OOC: -

Walk, walk, walk.
"Talk, talk, talk."
Think, think, think.

Hidden Account
ali
The pegasus mare was the first to look at me and there was very little kindness, if any at all, in her gaze. Even the hawk didn't seem to happy to see us there with the way it clacked its beak at us. Tallis, in retaliation to what I suppose he considered a threat from the hawk, spread his wings and blew a stream a smoke from his nostrils. His scaly lips peeled back and he uttered a very draconic growl that I felt vibrating against my backbone. "Tallis, it's okay." I murmured soothingly to the dragon. My gaze lingered on the unfriendly green pegasus and her hawk for a moment more before I turned my head to the stallion.

The stallion greeted us both politely and I felt Tallis begin to relax on my back. I turned my head enough so I could look at Tallis to make sure he was calmed down and he was, for the most part. His attention was kept mostly on the stallion, but he did steal glances toward the green pegasus and her bird.

He spoke of a land he came from, which was one I'd never heard of before. Of course, I was still young and the only land I'd even heard of outside of Helovia was Isilme because that was where my mother was from. She spoke of it with fondness at times and sadness at others. "Is your land far from here?" I asked curiously. "If it is then you must be exhausted." I hadn't come to the Threshold to try and gain members for the Foothills. I had gone to escape, but I would not deny the stallion any opportunity to claim my home as his as well should he be interested.

Baldur spoke of a land that the mare had never heard of, and so when she came to realize that perhaps his mystique came from more than just his intimidating height, she found herself somewhat relieved. The more she knew about him, the more real he became, and thus the less irksome. He was no longer a simple shadowcaster, he was a figure from a foreign land, and she was intrigued. Kye seemed less thrilled with the prospect of learning something new, but she was not surprised. Her falcon was surprisingly jaded for one young. Perhaps Kye knew of the land; before the two had met, Kye had seemed worn from a journey. Xira had never asked much of her companion, and now that the opportunity to receive an answer had arisen, she had still allowed the subject to fall by the wayside. What a strange aspect of their companionship ot was.

"I have heard of neither your land or herd-" Xira began with a step to the side to allow for more space and a comfortable environment. Upon her back, Kye seemed to relax in the face of the dragon and turned away from it with a raised tail and an appearance of aloof apathy. She wondered what spurs the change in attitude- she wondered what Kye was thinking. But the bird remained reticent, and it was clear that she hoped to maintain privacy for the moment.

"-which suggests it is not close by. I was a bit of a wanderer myself, once," Xira continued after the split second interrupted by the thoughts of her bird. Kye seemed ruffled by something, and it pained Xira to realize that she didn't know what. She reached out with an eager mind, feeling for the little bird's troubles, but she was swiftly denied. In a moment Kye took flight, and left the crowd in silence. The roan felt slightly hurt, but could say nothing of it. She had been denied by the falcon before, but there was something different here. Did Kye resent her for settling down? Surely the bird understood that she had no intention of truly staying- that she wasn't going to rest in the herd forever. Then again.... what had she done as of late solely for herself? Was she not here simply for the good of the herd, ingratiating a stranger to build the Tuuli's numbers?

Xira shook her head as if ruffling the mane, but in reality the thought of her reasoning for staying by as of late haunted her. Still, like a blind old mare, she continued on. "The Tuuli took me in once and provided me with a home," Xira went on as the lump in her throat and the feeling of sickness rose until the taste of bile coated her senses. This was all true, wasn't it? She really had lost her fire.

"Should you desire a place to call your own, the herd would welcome a traveller such as yourself in a manner of moments, I am sure." The mare spoke once more, but this time seeming somewhat saddened. Xira let her wingtips flare out, and looked up to try and find Kye. The falcon had flown off too far, however, leaving no trace save for a single feather upon the earth.

Unregistered
ONLY A WARRIOR knows
the true meaning of war

A pleased smile came across his dark lips, and the stallion listened as the two mares commented the land he came from. No wonder they'd never heard of it...
It lied far away from this land, too far actually. He looked at the ground and thought of his lonely mother, Amora.
'I wonder what's she's up to, that old mare. She must've seen at least 20 summers by now.'
He looked up again and looked at the two mares. One was black and white, while the other one was green and reddish brown. Great contrast, actually, between the two mares. The only thing that they had in common were their beautiful eyes.

Baldur had always been kind of a charmer, and he loved to impress mares. But since the black and white unicorn didn't look as old as the other one, a fatherly feeling settled down inside of him.
The giant shifted his minty glance between the two, before he decided to answer Aylin first.
"Yes, dear Aylin. Kirinia lies far away from here. And I have no thoughts of returning there anytime soon," he smiled and lowered his head to their height. He knew that he was bigger than the most, and he took the advantage of being huge.
His glance turned to Xira, still keeping the smile.

"I have heard of neither your land or herd, which suggests it is not close by. I was a bit of a wanderer myself, once."
He raised a 'brow. He haven't imagined her as a traveler, even though it was understandable since she had wings to rely on.
A small amount of jealousy filled him, but disappeared just as fast.
'No time for such foolish emotions,' he thought and took a deep breath.
"As I told this horned mare, Kirinia is not exactly close to this landscape..." He was going to continue about the Tuuli when she spread her wings. He suddenly realized that her companion had flown away. What?

He turned to Aylin once again and his eyes filled up with a warm tone of sea-blue. She came from... The Foothills, right? Eeyup, that had to be it.
It sounded a bit calmer than the Dragon's Throat, and he need a calm place.
The stallion lifted one of his heavy hooves and started to move against Aylin. The smile on his lips got wider, and he laughed deeply.
"Young mare, is the herd named the Foothills nice?"

Word count: 407
OOC: Going to join the Foothills/Qian :3

Walk, walk, walk.
"Talk, talk, talk."
Think, think, think.

Hidden Account
ali
I did not expect the tall stallion to ask about my home in the Foothills, especially since I had really made no move to offer him a home there. If he wanted to come with Tallis and me then there was no way that I would deny him a place to call home. The herd was ever growing and ever changing, especially since Paladin and his mate had taken over as the leaders. I knew of the fuss that had taken place shortly after and I thought it foolish, but I'm only a child. Why would any of them listen to me?

"The Foothills is very peaceful." I said to the stallion. Even after that one buckskin had raised hell at the herd meeting it was still a peaceful place. "The Sun God burned our fields in his rage, but the grass is growing back thicker than it had before thanks to the God of the Earth. There's a waterfall that feeds a small lake where the water is clear and crisp all year long." It really was a beautiful place and I loved it even if I longed to be a part of the World's Edge purely because it was governed by the Moon Goddess, whom I follow.

"Any species is welcome in the Foothills and can advance to any rank as long as the leaders see fit." I did not look to the green mare, for fear that she would be staring daggers at me because the stallion she had met first was asking me about my home instead of hers. Tallis moved on my back, climbed up my neck and peered between my ears at the tall stallion. "I think you would like the Foothills should you decide to call it home."

The foolish stallion had made her choice, and it was clear that he was going to follow the wrong path. She couldn't make herself care- she was perhaps insulted that he'd chose this other, younger mare to guide him home, but felt no regret for the herd's loss of a potential member. What was the point of this recruiting process anyway, to grab strangers and force them to fit into a mold where they did not belong?

Had that not been her so many seasons ago? She regretted every stumbling into that herdland, ever asking to join just to have a place to stay, and then being forced into her place. Andash had soothed her fire, somehow tricked her into going to the gods for him- yes, certainly it was his fault. He had tried to control her, he had made her feel... god, something, she didn't know what. But it was his fault, him and that damn desert where everything counteracted the wide open air and caged you in.

She cast the stallion and the yearling a brief glance and felt she had little more to say. Still, manners forced her into words at the very least, even if she spit out each one like a coal. "Very well- I'm sure you two will make a wonderful pair in your magical forest," The green roan hissed, flaring and extending wings as she prepared for flight. "Enjoy your stay, Goliath," she said at last, feeling freed by the truth of her words. They were her own words now, not anyone else's.

At a swift canter she parted ways with the pair and dashed through the trees, whistling for her falcon to follow, hoping she might. Wind hit her and open air brought her to the safety of the skies. It was with hate in her eyes and thermals under her wings that she flew back to the Dragon's Throat, but not back home.

[[Guys I'm sorry, I kept forgetting about this one and being busy. Please if I ever hold you up like this again just skip me.]]