the Rift

[OPEN] Enemy at the gates?

Isopia the Mountain That Knows Posts: 780
Dragon's Throat Apostle atk: 6.5 | def: 10 | dam: 8.0
Mare :: Tribrid :: 18hh :: 3 - is now aging slowly HP: 90 | Buff: NUMB
Hubris :: Royal Bronze Dragon :: Shock Breath & Frost Breath & Babel :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Odd

@Tembovu / any

Although Isopia knows the way to the Edge, she lets Tembovu lead.

The last time she was here, she'd had a fight with Alysanne and then fought with Tembovu. Arriving again with the King at her side seemed comically dissonant with the image of her walking away, bloody and exhausted. Even without those memories, the prospect of once again living in the Edge, seemed strange. It belonged to another lifetime, or perhaps another girl all together. Isopia could remember what it was like running through the mists, standing on the cliffs, and hiding herself away in the dense trees. But even so, those times seemed so removed from who she was now, that her mind held no real relation to them. They inspired no feelings or deja vu as the mists of the Edge slowly swirled into view.

"Is there anything you'd like me to do while I am here?" Isopia asked Tembovu. She wasn't one for obligations, but at Hubris' insistence, she said she'd at least make an effort to be helpful. Did they require crafters? Warriors? Philosophers? Spies? Given the arguments they'd all had last time, she very much doubted she'd be recruited as a slueth, though she'd been well-trained in it. She was well trained in all of the ranks, actually.

Isopia
In reality's shadow the blind see best
Image Credits

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah

There was only joy that brightened Alysanne’s features when she recognized the figure that was with Tembovu. Although she was sort of getting along better with her co-leader, they were still far away from her feeling any genuine joy at seeing him. In fact, there was still a prickle of annoyance - and in this moment - a little bit of jealousy as well. What was he doing with her? Were they friends? After Isopia had shied away from Alysanne using the term with her twice now, that would certainly be a blow.

There was only one way to find out, of course, and she was already changing her direction to go over and say hello. Hemlock, on the other hand, promptly took to the skies and headed in the opposite direction, heading for some trees where he could hopefully avoid the dragon and any potential disaster. His prejudice towards them ran strong, strong enough that Hubris likely wouldn’t even be given a chance.

“Hello!” She called out to the pair upon approaching, coming to stand before them with a warm smile brightening her green eyes. Already, this was a much different experience than the last time the three of them were in the area of the Edge’s borders.

Aly had just caught Isopia’s question, and couldn’t help but raise one of her own - brightening even more at the prospect.  “Are you to be staying with us?” Alysanne refrained from using the phrase ‘coming home’ because she wasn’t sure whether the younger mare would feel like this was home.

alysanne
image from flickr

CASUALLY CRASHING
please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Roskuld the Sparklight Posts: 424
World's Edge General atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Tribrid :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 82 | Buff: ENDURE
Zchiraxicon :: Royal Rougarou :: Electric Smithers
Roskuld & Zchiraxicon
Where there's no Law tying my heart from the start..

The Queen beat me there, but I still came anyway, cuz it was too tempting of a thing to witness. Chico blew past me on his heavy grey wings, spying the glint of the bronze from so far away; he gave a cheerful growl, pumping his way higher into the sky, barreling in an acrobatic display that was designed to coax the dragon into an airborne chase, to impress his Bwenny-Lady, and to entice me into trying it. Should fly.

I know.

I came up slightly behind Alysanne, glancing briefly at her dark flank before bringing myself to gaze directly at the approaching figures. Really, I didn’t know how to feel about seeing undeniable proof of Kis coming to...coming here, cuz I wasn’t sure what she was doing, but I wasn’t an idiot and had one hell of a guess. I’d had half of a mind to offer her to come here myself--that was apparently beaten by the other half that was reminded of all the shit that came packaged with her presence: the annoying, holier-than-thou habits, the constant reminder of otherworldly things and responsibilities, a touchy past made awkward by the searing memory of Volterra’s heat and stuff running down my leg.

It was really fucking unfair at how fucking huge both Tembo and Kis were, made apparent as they stood so close to one another. I snorted--then cocked my head up once, a simple greeting that had nothing to do with words or a mouth, cuz I wasn’t sure how I was gonna use them yet.

(Lol)

Shut up.

"talk"

image credits

Sarah beat me too it the HO <3 but doublecrash

Please tag ROSKULD in every reply!

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty
Isopia’s revelation at the reasoning for her owing her life to the Moon Goddess caught the King off-guard, to be certain. Mauja had told him of the murders surrounding the Edge’s patron goddess, shortly before the Dorobian stallion had entered Helovia. And they had remained some sort of ominous truth hovering around the Moon—a reason to thoroughly respect her, and an explanation for those that hated her.

But to kill a child? A god’s child?

Needless to say, the thought settled heavily in the base of his skull; a persistent weight to mull over some other day, when his attention was not focused on the overtly intelligent Mountain. And she did require his full attention—not in an exhaustive way, but in a ‘you-may-miss-her-meaning’ if he didn’t pay attention.

"Is there anything you'd like me to do while I am here?”

A single ear swiveled backwards in thought as she asked him—had she not just left a life filled with obligations? Obligations that made her resentful towards her father? (And, perhaps in no little part, towards herself?) His heavy skull cocked slightly studying the mare that was even in wither to himself, though more slender in frame—

And before he could give her an answer, others appeared to greet them at the beautifully crafted, black-iron gate. There was a warm greeting in the Devoted’s eyes, so much so that her words seemed superfluous, “Hello, Alysanne. Yes, the Mountain—” mental applause for not using Isopia’s name, “Has chosen to reside in the Edge with us.” His navy eyes lingered on Alysanne, feeling the coolness that percolated from her towards himself. It seemed the capricious winds that were the Queen’s feelings towards him blew south today.

The King’s brows raise at Ros’s silent greeting. He wasn’t sure he had ever heard (or not heard) the bold, pert Sparklight. Even if stumbling over words, there was usually something to be said from her lively and entertaining mouth. “Hello, Ros,” was his mildly amused reply to her non-verbal hello.

Mbwene, who had happily tottered behind with Hubris (either alongside or beneath his flapping wings), trumpeted a loud greeting to Chico, bright eyes watching his prowess in the skies. Her trunk reached towards the bronze dragon, urging him to take to the skies and show off the new, elephant-painted ink on his wing.

Tembovu, however amused by the companion antics, turned his attention back to the demigoddess, “You are welcome to pursue whichever rank interests you, Iso—Mountain,” who knew not using names was so difficult for the King. A rueful grin curved up the corner of his muzzle, though he hoped his meaning was clear: the Edge was meant to be a home, not a vocation or occupation.

His tail swayed around his hocks as his eyes drifted towards the cliffs and his small family. Safiri and her health darted through his mind.
Tembovu
The Elephant King
image | code by Avis

@Isopia

Please tag Tembovu.

Hubris :: Royal Bronze Dragon :: Shock Breath & Frost Breath & Babel :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Odd

Isopia didn't know how she felt about having Tembovu answer Alysanne's question for her. Genuinely, she didn't. On the one hand, it made her feel childish, like she needed to be taken care of and answered for. But ... was that so bad? It was something she'd never experienced. With Volterra and Zero and basically all of her other interactions and encounters, she'd always been such an indomitable force that no one would even think that she needed assistance or wasn't sure of herself.

But with Aly and Tembovu...it felt as though they didn't see her that way.

And maybe that wasn't such a bad thing.

However as her cousin appeared, Tembovu merely said hello, and that tentative sense of being taken care of was suddenly shattered, because she wasn't expecting this, and no one was saving her from the sudden appearance of her cousin, and there was no easy or un-obvious way of indicating to Ros that everything got fucked up, and that she remembered it all.

"I didn't know you'd be here." She said, Tembovu's words (and his decided attempt to call ehr Mountain rater than Isopia falling on heavily distracted ears). Hubris, like Mbwene, happily trilled towards Chico, flailing joyfully in his direction.

Something in Iso's gut made her feel as though this welcome was now an unwelcome, because Ros knew her secret, and was a part of it, and who the fuck would want that sort of drama showing up on their doorstep? There was nothing for her to say. She couldn't ask Ros if it was alright that she was here, because Temb and Aly had already seemingly okay'd that decision, and it would be disrespectful to them to defer judgement to the shortest of those gathered. But her cousin's wordless greeting - no doubt she was thinking of the last time they were together - made Iso's ears ring.

Did the others notice how stale the air tasted, or how heavy it suddenly felt? Or was that just her?

Isopia
Image Credits

Roskuld the Sparklight Posts: 424
World's Edge General atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Tribrid :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 82 | Buff: ENDURE
Zchiraxicon :: Royal Rougarou :: Electric Smithers
Roskuld & Zchiraxicon
Where there's no Law tying my heart from the start..

I didn’t realize she had regained her memories; as far as I was concerned, we were on a clean slate relationship-wise, and all that past stickiness was up to me to keep in the past. So like…objectively I ain’t really have a solid to be against her living here. For the most part.

Doesn’t mean I was impervious to petty shit: I couldn’t stop my ears pinning briefly even as a tight, bitter smile scowled my face as Tembovu so very nearly called her a name that was completely different from any I’d heard. Iso. Not very much like kis hollo at all (what the fuck, Volterra?) Seemed like even Tembovu was in on the ongoing joke, the Keep-Ros-From-Knowing-Her-Name running gag that I didn’t really mind at first but now for some reason I found really really hurt--uh, stupid. Still ain’t allowed to know your name, huh?” I said in a mocking tone that was too easy and flippant for the semi-formal event of welcoming someone home--but I couldn’t stop myself. It just fell outta me. Like, after all this time, after all I done, all we done--but nah, nope there’s still some shit too personal to share apparently.

Yeah, whatever. Fuck it.

I didn’t realize where the tension was coming from--I figured it was just from my own outburst. And it wasn’t that big of a deal, not really--I just wasn’t able to reign it in before it came out like that. The stiffness fell out of me almost at once, and when she confessed I didn't know you'd be here, my eye-roll was ironic at the very worst. “Me neither a year ago,” I said with a shrug, “but it...it works here. It does.” I didn’t feel like gushing about it at that moment; it was already an encounter filled with too weird things.

I wasn’t so hot on the idea of telling her of my position (it still didn’t sit right on my shoulders, the prospect of responsibility but that couldn’t stop the hot streak of duty sneaking its way in the convo. “If you really wanna help, we’re currently fucked on warriors right now,” I told her, hearing that she was open to anything and everything career-wise, “We’re severely short-staffed--and considering the current...uh…events--” I wasn’t good at being subtle, “--we especially need extra patrols just to keep our head afloat. But--uh,” I glanced at Alysanne and Tembo, seeing if any of their toes were in danger of being stepped on, “don’t...don’t think you have to be a warrior or anything, do whatever you want, man. The Edge is your apple now, too.”

"talk"

image credits

@Alysanne SORRY FOR SKIPPING but Ros had feelings (what's new) and i had to get them out D:

Please tag ROSKULD in every reply!

A little voice inside of her mind prodded her emphatically. It said, tell her.

tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her.

Isopia's skin felt hot. Tembovu knew her name, as did Aly. Her cousin...could (should) know it too. Enough knew it now that it really shouldn't matter. But it did, and just as Ros had noted, even after all they had been through, it was so easy to fall back on old patterns. And yet-

tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her. tell her.

"Isopia." She blurted out suddenly, saying her name louder than she needed to, through almost grit-teeth, to drown out the voice screaming and pounding in her skull. Then, a great deal softer and more composed: "My name is Isopia. I just ... I don't like people knowing that." She admitted with a sigh that she'd been holding in.

"I can help with that." Isopia said, feigning a grin (she was trying to seem normal, after all), as she glanced at Aly and Tembovu. "I'm a decent fighter. And as a raven or a dragon, I can patrol easily.

The Edge is your apple now, too. Ros said. But what Isopia heard was, Welcome home. And something in her soul seemed to soften.

Isopia
Image Credits

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here