the Rift

Grey Skies [Cass, Open?]

Andash Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

andash</style>
the beautiful is always strange.</style>

It had long reached dark by the time the frosted brute had traipsed into the Deep Forest. The snow caught and pulled on his pale feathers, weighing him down with every step. His bonded, Cenny, seemed to love the harsh extremes that Frostfall had brought, but Andash was far from loving it. It was these times that he often wished for the heat of Tallsun, but he knew that that was a dream in a time far gone. The young beast shook the flakes that had settled upon his thick pelt, giving his magnificent wings a final stretch before striding on once more. He had still not yet taken flight - waiting for the right moment as he'd put it. His pride was not ready to be tainted by the failure of flight.

He thrust his crown into the heavens to gaze at the odd stars that circled in deep sky. It was a very odd and unique constellation that he was witnessing, something that he had never laid pools on before. As such, his curiousity had gotten the better of his nature. He was indeed wonderous at what awaited him if he were to follow the constellation. His mind pondered at the thoughts, but was soon brought back up to the surface at the shrill chirp from the young puffin. She seemed to be dancing in the deep snow, wriggling and writhing with happiness. He knelt down and nudged her along before giving himself a shiver to be free of some of the flakes that were still falling gracefully from the heavens.
"Come now Cenny, no games." He smiled fondly at his bonded. She almost seemed to be the only friend he had at the moment, feeling as though his other friends were lost in time. Andash knew that he was being stupid to think such things, he had wandered off before everything had happened. It was only himself stopping him from seeing his friends again, particularly dearest Xira. He sighed at the thought of the petite mossy fae, before focussing back onto the track.

What lay before him was the frost covered frondesnce that densely covered this part of Helovia. In the warmer climates it was cooler than he would have anticipated, but now there was no warmth at all. No ray of sunlight found its way through the crevices, and he could no longer hear the trickle of water from the streams. Must have all frozen, he thought dejectedly. The scent was tainted with the wet smell of the snow, and through that he could make no sense out of what he was doing. Why was he following the stars? Was he going mad?

"To be second is to be the first of the ones that lose."

image by seyed mostafa zamani @ flickr.com</style>

Cassiopeia Posts: 171
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 hands :: 8 years old
Phantom

As you move through the forest, you catch sight of something unusual, something out of place in this terrestrial setting. Rays of illumine project from its sides. It moves almost as if it is weightless, its strides hardly strumming against the terrain below. From its cervine head protrudes a couplet of biramous tusks, twisting from its brow like brothers. Its eyes are hollow and infinitely wise, staring back at you with an expression indicative of inquisitiveness, alarm.

There are a few brilliant points of light in which you can clearly discern, delineating its cosmic contours. Its head is hoisted high atop pronounced shoulders, its analogical muscles tensed as it studied you, silent. Then, rather suddenly, it turned and fled. Behind it danced a film of iridescent dust, careening downward like leaves through still air to alight upon the snow-ridden earth below. It seems to be headed toward something specific, something in the distance.

It leads you to a large fir, its emerald spires hardly effected by the harshness of Frostfall. But there is something else as well; you squint your eyes in order to identify it. The silhouette of a dark mare is illuminated by yet another constellation, an avian assemblage of incandescence. It notices you, alarming the mare - the lithe star breather, its animator - to your presence.

Cassiopeia's ears swiveled back almost instantly. Muscles became tense beneath her ebony pelage and she spun on her heels, her cyan eyes falling upon the dimly elucidated stranger before her. "Who's there?" The words egressed with a dilute sense of exigence as she assumed a protective stance over her daughter, and the small filly huddled beneath her mother. Glimmering eyes peered out curiously beneath her barrle as the star breather strained her eyes, struggling to make out the features of an ashen stallion. His scent, one laden in testosterone and of something unfamiliar, the scent of a foreign land perhaps, wafted toward her, and instantly she became relaxed.

"Andash?" Her features lit up with a cordial smile.

Unregistered

andash</style>

With a gulp he swallowed his fright, and let his pride endure. He would not be scared by what was to follow, if it was something bad. Instead, he took his gaze up to the dark heavens and waited.

Then it came.

His pillars almost felt like jelly at the odd images that shot their way through the odd constellation, it was so out of the ordinary. Something that bore tusks almost seem to dance below, through the frondescence of the dense Deep Forest, and he followed it. Stupid to do so, perhaps, but his curiousity had gotten the upper hand. The creature's orbs were enough to drag the silvered brute in. It seemed to be pulling him to find something, and as confused as he was, he confidently strode through, his elegant frame almost casting an eerie ghost-like figure across the terra firma.

He halted at a large fir tree. It's character almost seemed to be completely untainted by Frostfall's bite, and Andash could almost feel the hope that it gave to every creature. With a sigh, he hoped that the bitter season would end, soon... Through his thoughts, his icy pools cast a glance at a silhouette of a figure that stood nearby. And then a female voice sounded through the chilly air. It was a voice that he thought was familiar, but could not quite figure out who the voice belonged to.

Wracking his brain fiercely, he was answered. The voice spoke of his name, and tense muscles that he scanned became relaxed. It was Cassiopeia. His own burly muscles began to relax, and he smiled back warmly at the duchess. It was comforting to see his friend again, after what felt like such a long time.
"Cassiopeia. It has been too long, my friend," his smile could have almost split his crown in two, it was that large. He stepped forward to press his visage on her neck in welcoming, before continuing, "I see you have gained more magic?"

Andash chuckled, thinking back to the mellay that he had just gone through. It certainly was impressive, whatever had happened. He knew that it had to be the charcoal vixen's making, or else it wouldn't have alerted her.

Hidden Account
Phantom

"Indeed," she answered. She hadn't seen the stallion in some time, and she had come to wonder just what had happened to him, or where he had wandered off to. It was good to see him healthy. The aroma which wafted from his livid form spoke of foreign lands, and although it was a dull, fading fragrance, it made her believe he had left Helovia for a time. "How has life been treating you?" She inquired, genuinely curious.

Azulee remained mostly hidden, still uncertain about the newcomer. Cassiopeia craned her neck around to solvent the flicka, assuring her he meant no harm. "Come on out, love. He means no harm." She encouraged her, and the lightning-esque belle revealed herself to the stallion. "Andash, this is my daughter, Azulee." She said with a smile, then nuzzled the belle tenderly on the cheek. "Hello!" She exclaimed.

Columba, perched upon the smooth jut of her withers, fluttered its wings when the ashen stag mentioned her magic. She smiled, nodding. She hadn't realized he was not aware of her ability, but then again she couldn't recall ever summoning it in his presence. Cerulean eyes roamed his pale physique, noticing that his faulty wing was no longer so different from her own. "And I see you've since made a trip to see the Gods?" She was happy for him, and idly wondered if he'd yet experienced flight for himself. The wing looked bulkier and less, well, dysfunctional. It was still a bit small compared to her own wings, which due to their size required a good deal of muscle to utilize.

Azulee moved toward the ashen stallion upon seeing something else huddling near him, an avian creature. A puff of air slid softly from her nostrils as the filly sought to investigate. "And who's your friend?" Cassiopeia asked, a kind smile plaiting her features, watching the puffin curiously.

Unregistered

andash</style>

It was lovely to see his old friend after all this time, it felt like it had been a lifetime since their first meeting. He greeted her bearing the same warm expression of familiarity of comfort towards the obsidian fae. As he glanced at her, he noticed Azulee, her and Azzuen's daughter. With a dip of respect towards the little filly, he continued to concentrate on Cassiopeia's interest.

Her curiosity was welcomed by the frosted brute. There had been many events since their last meeting, and they were all visible. First of all: his wing. What was once a deformed, rather sad looking thing was now a magnificent wing bestowed upon him by the God of the Earth himself, complete with a fern marking that ran all the way along it. That was courtesy of his dearest, Xira. He smiled fondly at the name, his mind galloping back. His feelings towards the vixen were complicated and straightforward at the same time - all he needed was the courage to confess them to the mossy roan. The next change was of course gaining his small bonded, Cenny. The little puffin was much to handle and still very young, as well as not being handy in battle. But he loved her just the same like she were a daughter, a small bundle of joy that he was proud to have as a companion. Cassiopeia's queries, also concerning his wing, were met with a calm, cool deep voice as he explained,
"There has been much since we last met, my friend," he gestured to the quiet bird, who watched the vixen with intent, bright eyes. "Not long after Orangemoon took hold, I wandered out of Helovia for a time, seeking some refuge to get myself together, so to speak. It probably sounds incredibly selfish, but I can't tell you how glad I am to be back where I belong..." The emotion ran deep in his tones, and in his pools. They spoke of the love he had for his homeland. He shook these away and smiled back at her with his soft, leaden velveteens. The mention of his brush with the Gods made him once again think back to Xira. "Yes, well, no. Not exactly. My wing came about through the actions of Xira, something I am forever indebted to her for. I have not yet set about trying to fly yet, not for real though..." He smiled again at the mention of Xira, so fondly and lovingly. But he turned these feelings off and instead opted for a poker face, still welcoming towards his friend, however. It was time to ask her about her own happenings. Enough of selfishness he mused. "And how about yourself, Cass?"

As Azulee made herself fully known to him again, he smiled warmly at her. He remembered meeting the little obsidian with Azzuen before he had wandered out of Helovia, it was a good memory. "Yes, I remember meeting Azulee when I spoke with Azzuen. It's nice to meet you again, little one! And how are you?" He flicked his tail silks, his frosted lobes pricked forward.

Noticing the creature that was sat upon her back, it was his turn to be silently inquisitive. But he did not mention it, for fear of sounding nosy or rude. As little Azulee moved closer and inquired about Cenny, he nudged the bonded closer to the pair. It was good for the bird to get used to his friends. She fluttered about and tilted her little beaked crown, chirping at the far larger fae, before waddling over to the smaller filly confidently. He chuckled. "This here is Cenny. The Gods are too kind to the likes of me." The humour and respect played and danced about in the lights of his pools, or at least what light could be found. The darkness was growing ever more imminent as each moment passed. Andash did not wish to stay any longer than he had to. But he was comforted knowing that Cassiopeia was here to keep him company.

Hidden Account
Phantom

"I'm glad you decided to return." She said finally, genuinely. Cassiopeia doubted she would ever leave these lands, unless of course her lover were to join her, and even then she wasn't certain she could leave her daughters behind. Cirrus would most likely choose to remain, and Azulee was yet too young to make her own decision on the matter. The star breather had grown too acquainted with these lands, too fond of this wondrous continent, to ever so much as contemplate departure. The desert was as much her home as the land of her birth; more, actually. Helovia had nestled its way into her heart, that was for certain - something that Valryn never quite managed to do.

The only thing she could think of that would ever sever her ties with Helovia was perhaps the growing need to reunite with her sister, a desire which blossomed more magnanimously with each passing day. Perhaps when Azulee reached a suitable age she would set off looking for Adhara; that is, if Azzuen would be up to it.

He claimed to have not yet utilized his wings, but before the roan could comment, the discussion progressed, and it was her turn to profess her own recent happenings. "I am well." She responded simply. "I was attacked by a mountain lion on the beach this previous Orangemoon while I was pregnant with Azulee, which resulted in a broken wing." She wondered if he'd noticed the scars that marred her neck, shoulder and breast. "But I've since recovered." She grew silent then, pondering what to say next as a brief moment slunk by. "Since your absence, our numbers have flourished in the Throat, and our soldiers recently emerged victorious from a campaign to claim the World's Edge for Mirage and the Qian." Surely Andash would rejoin the Throat? "Unfortunately, we lost Jaydan to Mauja's forces." A melancholic chord consumed her words, and she shook her head solemnly.

Andash then mentioned having met Azulee, and the dame flicked her ears forward, somewhat surprised. Azulee pricked one ear while the other slumped backward, somewhat befuddled, and raised an eyebrow. Little was not something she would've preferred to be dubbed. Cassiopeia, noticing her daughter's faint perturbation, nudged her gently on the flanks, offering her a reassuring smile. We all go through a stage sooner or later where we wish to be grown, and it would seem that the tables turn once encountered with age. Cassiopeia often yearned to be a filly again, for she had been forced to grow up quickly, equipped with the burdens of oracular duty.

Azulee had never seen the stallion before - she was too young for him to have met her, considering the time of his leave of absence. The timelines didn't meet up. Cassiopeia shot him a peculiar glance, pondering if he perhaps had mistaken the belle for her sister. "I believe you may be confusing her with Cirrus - Azzuen and I decided on having another child." She smiled then. Much had happened since his departure, it would seem. "Cirrus is a yearling now; quite a strong young lady, if I say so myself." Azulee partially unfurled her wings, and lifted her head high. "And I'm gonna be just like her!" She declared proudly. An admiring giggle dribbled from Cassiopeia's lips, and her gaze then shifted to the puffin as he introduced the creature as Cenny.

She smiled and lowered her muzzle to the bird, blowing a friendly puff of warm air toward her. "You are a lucky stallion, Andash." She began, peering up at him. "Few will ever share a bond such as yours" Azulee snorted playfully at the puffin before Columba swooped down to alight on the damsel's withers. What a peculiar group, indeed - a puffin, a pegasus, and a living star.