the Rift

[PRIVATE] SN: the dark side of the moon

Toulouse Posts: 146
Aurora Basin Impersonator atk: 8.0 | def: 11.0 | dam: 4.0
Gelding :: Equine :: 17hh :: Six HP: 74 | Buff: ENDURE
Boomslang :: Green Ratsnake :: Paralyze Neverrmind
[Image: toul1_by_neverrmind-db0nrbo.png]
T O U L O U S E
The lanterns remained alight, the bonfire still roared, the colour of embers, starlight and night enveloped the atmosphere. It was truly a magnificent evening even as the soiree began to quiet, and the lanterns dim. Those who had found some success in their matches might have crept away beyond the willow leaf and vines for a private rendezvous of their own, while others who's luck had clearly turned on them had left.
It was quieter now, the voices and chatter drifting over the bonfire smoke like hums as opposed to the drowning shouts from the matutine hours of the gathering.

With no more matches to endure, Toulouse set about watching the crowd and hearing their whispers. There was an abundance of information to be gathered from all in attendance; information which, as he looked out across the party from behind a great willow's trunk, was spilling from each and every mouth and flooding like a pool into his ears. Tiamat was now Lady of the basin he had gathered... along with the death of Deimos, and the dethroning of Lady Hotaru.

None of these ladies were of interest to him - It was the head-winged tigress; Maren.  In the shadow of a weeping willow she stood lakeside, apparently fetlock-deep in the shallows. Curiosity might surely be the death of him, but the serpent felt truly drawn to her.  Not as Barnabas. This time as himself.  She was a mystery unsolved.
Wading with grace and confidence in the Diviner's direction, Toulouse allowed his feet to take him into the water beside her. A smile fitted onto his face, the kind held up only by paperclips and unaccompanied by his eyes.
"Captain... Of the 'Flying Dutchman'" He whispered, snake-like eyes darting towards her own of the sun. "Missus Maren" A grin fell upon his face by now, having used the names Barnabas may have used to greet her.
And lastly, with all the sarcasm in the world and the most translucent of curtsies;
"Diviner"

ooc; soz this got a bit longer than SN threads. +thank for permission to pp! @maren

stock image l love, space
I AM THE KEY TO THE LOCK IN YOUR HOUSE—
DO NOT CRY OUT OR HIT THE ALARM
YOU KNOW WE'RE FRIEND TIL WE DIE—

EITHER WAY YOU TURN, I'LL BE THERE
OPEN UP YOUR SKULL, I'LL BE THERE
CLIMBING UP THE WALLS

SO LOCK THE KIDS UP SAFE TONIGHT
CLOSE THE EYES IN THE CUPBOARD

Maren the Crownless Posts: 264
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.0 :: 6 HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Mr. Teatime :: Siberian Tiger :: Sing Yewrezz

BY THE PRECEPTS OF HER PURITY

She moved her both winged and haloed head to look up from the rippling surface of the water, to the face of the cause. It was superstition that when something happened twice it was bound to happen a third time. And thus they met again.

His expression was like looking into a mirror. Except where the depths of her own eyes were more catlike, his reminded her of a snake. That wasn't how she recalled the carvings in his face to be; the smoothness of his lines that she did not remember, now sat comfortably on his face and rolled from his tongue. The somewhat excessive merchant that the Crownless tiger mare had thought untrustworthy and strange; who ever he might have been, whether he had drowned that day or not - because Maren now realized it hadn't been him she had saved anyway, as he had never existed in the first place.

She had been a traveling priestess and scholar for the biggest part of her life. From a wispy seed in a thick forest she had turned to a grown oak on a hill overlooking outstretched fields, branches reaching to the sky; too familiar with how the sun rose every morning and how the wind blew. But just because she knew how the world worked, did not mean she was immune to the aftershock. In the end it always seemed to come down to who cared more.

Such knowledge made her heart as hard or cold as the trust and truth. Of which neither of she took for granted. Regardless of the seemingly obvious, she always questioned. It was the base principle of being a scholar. Whether he knew, she did not know, as he bowed to her. A grin adorning his handsome face. "Aren't you the arrogant one." She whispered back, dark amusement trailing her voice. "Toulouse, then?" The corners of her mouth lingered in a smile, but something about her enjoyment didn't surprise her. Despite his theatrical ways being way too dramatic once again, she just liked riddles, being challenged in a way. No matter how tasteless and no matter the shady places, hidden behind serpent eyes, they originated from.

Image Credits

@Toulouse

I did my best to keep it as small as possible, but in the final edit I was like MEH, nvm. So I'm sorry, but at least it somewhat flows hopefully XD
Please tag me 

T O U L O U S E
A smirk was quick to form upon his lips, thick lashes fluttering like the wings of a butterfly over his endless eyes. He wished to combat the woman's remark, though ultimately the tigress did have some sense to her words.
Arrogant, yes. Fine. He's wear that label. It was better than being blind.

She spoke his name, and it was with a nod of his crown that his fan of pale lashes lifted from his crystal eyes onces again to peer closely at her own. "How observant" He uttered when the whisp of a girl breathed his name, allowing his nose to sneak closer to Maren's shoulder. Perhaps he wished to know truly how prude the Diviner was, or if in all her days at the alter she gave into temptation.
Did darkness tempt the priestess of the sun? Did the clouds that gather when mystery surrounded her judgement entice her even just a little? Did she ever give into the heat that came with the touch of a man, or giggle at the idea he might be thinking about her.

The specter fiendishly reached towards the diviner in an attempt to trail his lips over her whither. While his lips curved only slightly, his eyes were drowned. There was no depth or reflection in those oceans any longer.
"Tell me," the man uttered "Will you miss Barnabas? Such a jolly fellow."

ooc; soz hes being sly af
@maren

CLIMBING UP THE WALLS

Observant.
It wasn't among her list of skills; analyzing others (Mr. Teatime made up for that). She read old scripts, rather than personalities, so she did not find herself in his compliment. It happened to be so that the tiger mare knew all too well what had triggered her judgement, though it didn't make her feel any better about herself. When someone held a mirror before you, whether you wanted to or not, it proved difficult not to notice the similarities. In him she recognized her own arrogance. The only difference was that he put no effort into concealing it.  

He came closer, Maren's eyes following his movements like a silent parade of violet and golds. She watched the cloth of his silk scarf fold and shimmer in the light of her halo as he touched her withers with his lips. Perhaps she would've found motivation to move away from him if the taste of alcohol hadn't still lingered in her mouth. The tiger mare could hardly imagine someone trying this hard to become friendly with her, but perhaps in a way the careless in her was curious for his intentions. "You're asking me whether I am missing something that never existed in the first place." She looked over her shoulder to see lifeless eyes and she wondered if he truly thought anyone idiotic enough to grow attached to a nicknamed friction of somebody’s imagination. "I am afraid you must've misjudged me. I don't care much for the jolly ones," she smiled. - Or any one’s for that matter. "What I care and wonder about is with what purpose you tried to get into the Dragon's Throat. You can tell me," she whispered into the shadows. "I probably won't care enough to get you into trouble anyway."

Image Credits

@Toulouse
Please tag me 

T O U L O U S E
Toulouse was surprised, perhaps even impressed when he trailed his velveteen lips over the precious skin of her whither and learned that she wasn't one to shy from the touch of a man; not even his. She had passed the test in a way, and so without much of a commotion the gelding keeled his desecrating lips away from her pure, velvet cloth and slowly strode ahead of her, further into the great pond. He no longer faced her, his eyes stuck to the starlight and mist.
The left corner of his mouth twisted zealously into a smile when the woman mentioned she cared nothing for the idiotic character of Barnabas, but she misunderstood him...

Turning gently in the water ever so slightly, the Gelding's stern gaze glanced from the perculiar mark on her chest and up to her haloed head. "No, Maren, I am asking if you will prefer that bafoon to me?"
The specter spoke this with a twinkle in his eye. Perhaps it was more than obvious that there was more than just a deceiver under his cloaks and pale skin. "Or is there a special place in your apathetic, never-caring mind for the intelligence of one who deceived you?"
The snake spoke this without any kind of malice - after all, for the majority of their conversation (as short as it had been thus far) she had told him perhaps thrice now of all the things she doesn't care about. A charming defense mechanism; to pretend to be never swayed by anything.

"Oh, you'd like to know my intentions for infiltrating your homeland?" He smirked, glazed eyes twitching over her smaller bodice "Perhaps it was to see you"

ooc; intensify
@maren

Having taken back his lips, she watched the stallion wade deeper into the darkness of the pool. The tiger mare could still feel the restless warmth left by their momentary closeness; Cutting into her skin like glassy shards when the wind touched her bare hide. His question was a strange one and to be truthful she did not see a reason to answer. More and more she began to realize that he might not be of sound mind, and all players knew it wasn't a riddle anymore if, no matter how hard you tried, there was no answer to be found. Like a maze without an ending; rather unnecessary. Much like bafoons.

She felt a sting in her chest when he called out her indifference. But she listened to his words, despite the shadows that enveloped him. It was almost as if he seemed expectant of her to play along with his charades. As if he was used to being trailed by ground kissing peasants and played along with, like a spoiled child.

"No, Toulouse; you seem to know as little about me as I know about you. But since you think to know me, I'll let you know what I've learned about you so far, too." Her expression was hooded by a frown. The water around her legs had turned smooth, reflecting the stillness of her upside-down frame almost perfectly. Only the frailest feathers and loneliest strands of her her mane shivered with the air. "You are as see through as the wet silk scarf around your neck, drenched from the salty seawater of an ocean never crossed successfully by merely swimming - Something the so called bafoon-merchant would've known. Just like he would've noticed the slight adjustment to our... island, had he truly been there years prior."

There were only words from her lips, the smile had gone; her expression was one of silence, but in her golden eyes there was a shimmer of violet thunder instead, perhaps channeling her inner Ampere, but without the stench of drunkenness – or maybe a little, that was debatable, depending on how alcoholic exactly those apples had been. "Anyone from the Dragon's Throat would've been able to realize that." It wouldn't have just been me. "Or if you thought I would willingly let myself be blinded by the fancy silk you were supposedly selling..." She smiled, but only for a brief moment. "I don't roll that way." She'd much rather push down, than being pushed down, and she found herself thinking of Ampere (again). "And, let's be honest, I don't have any sense of fashion. Not for crown jewels or silk scarves. Thankfully, the Gods don't care either."

– And she thought about her mother. And the hate she felt surged at that moment; bubbled in her veins like a poorly prepared potion. The Crownless stepped out of the cocoon of calm water she had created around her, bearing ripples as she wandered two steps deeper into the pond, deeper into the shadows. But she took her halo with her, enlightening her catlike frame, resembling the sway of her companion.

"You are still under the impression that you deceived me", she concluded, feeling the awareness of Mr. Teatime push against her thoughts now that she finally let him in again as her emotions troubled their bond. The tiger mare's steps halted just before knee depth, her focus unchanged on Toulouse. "However," and the outlandish purr in her voice sunk down to a hushed growl. "I may not care about many things, but I do care about the safety of my herd."

Image Credits

@Toulouse
Maybe it was a bit too ambitious to think a thread like this could be done in 300 words xD
Please tag me 

T O U L O U S E
The words of the diviner only frustrated him, though he could only assume that this was her intention. His irises creeped backwards into his skull with almost every word— however intelligent they may have sounded to her, they didn't do her much favor.
The serpent allowed her to mutter on with no interruption; he wouldn't stop her waffling in a hurry.

By the time she had finally finished her speech, an eyebrow had lifted upon the specter's serpentine countenance. She gave him little credit, and would only assume it was a defence mechanism - one she used to shield nothing but her pride.
Toulouse, as usual, could only oblige her, though not before he provided a short-lived statement of defense.

"You do give me little credit dear Maren; you forget that I did, in fact, slip past your nets even upon your second meeting with B-b-barnabas." He spoke this with a great sigh, his eyes turning about the great expanse of the starlit lake. Perhaps he would leave any defense there, as he knew she would arrogantly battle for her pride until the bitter pride if she had to; she was truly a stubborn little mare.

"Perhaps It would do me well to do more research on the places I infiltrate though. Thank you for the reminder"
It was then that his dagger-like gaze had fallen upon her once again, that same gaze trailing over each stripe and back again.
With a grunt he listened to her once again, eyes closing almost in protest to her voice. "And you are still under the impression that I will actually tell you my intentions"
Next came a smirk, a pale leg moving gently in the water to step closer to her "My darling, your herd's safety was not at stake. I am not an enemy of the Throat, I can promise you that much." He chuckled with great truth in his eyes, smirking at the possibility that he would want to meddle with such a herd.

LMFAO YES
@maren

CLIMBING UP THE WALLS

Her heart was a mountaintop; unable to see the ground as it rumbled between the clouds. That was how it had always been. If Toulouse wanted to play a game with her, he would need to climb up that mountain first. And yet... She could not explain why his sigh felt like a sharp wind. "Credits aren't thrown like a flowers at the end of your deceitful play."

At least you did learn something today, but she did not need credits for that.

Toulouse's words were strange in her ears. She wasn't keeping any cards from him; what she wished for was her family kept out of the play. "To become the Night even the Mother of Darkness needs to know the Day will rise," she said simply, her eyes dark from their burgundy haze. She did no longer expect to be able to grow more surprised, and yet. "Promise?" The word felt like sand in her mouth as she crushed it from between her teeth. If her voice was that of God it would've fallen like a sharp blade from the heavens. Promise? It was as fleeting and obscure of a thing as a single white cloud amidst a thundering sky: Groundless and lost amidst trickery and lies, worthless. Trust was a intercommunion and so far Toulouse had only taken from the little trust she had to give. She felt cold, her tongue dry and her skull felt tired from carrying the weight of a frown. She was done with his mystery, he was exhausting to listen to as she attempted to understand his reasoning. "You give me no explanation on your wrong doings. You ask me to believe in a tongue that has lied to me twice; Behind a mountain there are only more mountains." She shook her head. Perhaps she wasn't meant to know what he wanted from her. And if she was, there would surely be another day.

She felt the wind brush her knees, tangle her mane and push against her feathered fingers.“Goodbye Toulouse.” The water around her hoofs shattered into diamond splashes as she turned her tiger striped frame to walk away from the gaping darkness of the pond, to go along.

Image Credits

@Toulouse
Maren out xD
Please tag me