the Rift

[OPEN] are you my mother?

Iona Posts: 100
World's Edge Specter atk: 7.5 | def: 11 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16hh :: 11 (birdsong) HP: 69 | Buff: NOVICE
Iver :: Osprey :: None Kiki

I O N A

Iona’s solitary panic didn’t last for long.  When the dark mare caught sight of her sister, she released an audible sigh of relief. She wanted to take a step closer to her twin, but still found herself unable to stray too far from the little bird for some inexplicable reason.  And she was still so hungry.  Doing her best to ignore what she couldn’t explain, she looked imploringly at her sister (failing to recognize the mirth in the lighter sibling’s eyes). 

“Aly! Thank god you’re here. I accidentally knocked the nest out of the tree and then the damn thing hatched and the thing is starving and I must have scared the mother off and I certainly don’t know what to feed it,” she says in a rush, hardly stopping to breathe, much less think about the words tumbling from her lips.  She was pleased to see her sister’s companion - glad that he wasn’t messing up her hair for once - because at least someone would have some idea what to feed this poor thing. “I know he’s hungry,” Iona said to to the little owl, infinitely appreciative of his ability to find tiny bird appropriate things and not even considering the fact that she knew, inherently, that the baby bird was both hungry and a he. She gestured with her nose for the owl to feel free to approach the nestling. 

The chick, in his nest, peeped happily at Hemlock’s offering - beady eyes zeroing in on the dragonfly.  Curiosity bloomed as he studied the larger bird, though he intermittently glanced back at the large, black mare with peeps and chirps erupting from the ball of fuzz on a regular basis. The same curiosity bloomed in Iona’s own mind, as she watched the interaction between the two avians - her brow furrowed as she struggled to process what the hell was going on. 

It seemed that they had caused quite a scene, because a filly that Iona recognizes as one of Tembovu’s children though doesn’t know by name.  The Specter is still too frazzled to greet the girl properly, but is able dip her head in some form of politeness.  The girl was also accompanied by a large bird who immediately went to the assistance of the little thing that Iona had discovered.  The chick, again, became more lively at the prospect of food, hopping to the edge of the nest.  The yet to be named osprey hopped right over to the larger avian, eager to accept the gift and unwilling to wait for permission.  Iona let out a soft snort of amusement.  Sassy little thing, she thought to herself.  As if the creature somehow managed to hear her, he turned and looked her right in the eye - letting out a string of happy sounding noises - before returning to his meal. 

Dumbfounded, the painted mare simply watched.  That was until the filly spoke again.  The girl’s words - a simple enough question - caused Iona to freeze in place.  A vacant expression crossed her emerald eyes as her mind slipped away.

Companion? The thought rattled around in Iona’s now strangely silent mind. She hadn’t even considered the possibility that this wasn’t an ordinary orphan baby bird. That it was it was a companion egg that she had unintentionally discovered. “Oh.” She said, with a vacant expression as slowly - very slowly - the pieces began to fall into place.  Green eyes remained unfocused as she slowly blinked herself back to the present - back to full consciousness.  She looked at the girl for a moment before looking down to the little bird, peering up at her with a knowing sort of glance.   “I - uh…” words failed her as her tongue grew thick in her mouth. “But - I didn’t want...”  She looked over at Aly, the panic returning, but again her gaze was drawn back to the little bird.  

“Well shit,” is what she finally settled on, the shock and disbelief still coloring her words. Well. That’s one way to welcome your companion to the world. 

image credit

@Alysanne 
@Kiada

Please tag IONA in all posts.
Force and magic permitted, but please check before inflicting serious injury.
image credit 

Messages In This Thread
are you my mother? - by Iona - 03-23-2017, 01:33 PM
RE: are you my mother? - by Alysanne - 03-23-2017, 01:55 PM
RE: are you my mother? - by Kiada - 03-23-2017, 02:17 PM
RE: are you my mother? - by Iona - 03-24-2017, 11:31 PM
RE: are you my mother? - by Alysanne - 03-25-2017, 01:29 PM
RE: are you my mother? - by Kiada - 03-27-2017, 11:47 PM