the Rift

[OPEN] No more yielding, but a dream

Amaris Posts: 299
World's Edge Philosopher atk: 5.5 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16h :: 4 years HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Dramyrth :: Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Frost Breath Whit
Amaris
drákos istoría

They exchange their looks, their glances, their investigative stares, each accepting the inquisitive nature of the other, each coming to their own conclusions, drawing their own judgements, crafting their own thoughts about the other. Amaris thought Yael a beautiful creature, who walked and breathed and existed with a simple elegance, a grace, a sense of wisdom and knowing earnt only by those who had lived through many trials and tribulations, adventures and journeys. It was not the first time Amaris observed the similarities between the pegasus and her mother, and came to the same conclusion again and again - Mirage had been unremarkable in stature and size, slim and quickfooted, often viewing the world with a smirk upon her lips and a subtle, enquiring gaze behind her deep, golden eyes. And then, it was with the Goddess' touch that she had become the DragonHeart - dark magic had coursed through her veins, gifting her with the ability to embrace her draconic nature, her true nature?

As Yael referred to her dragonself as seemingly an entire separate being, Amaris could not help the smile that danced across her lips, for she recalled her mother speaking similarly of her otherself. The dragonmare was almost overwhelmed with a desire to fall into an embrace with this mare, this stranger, this pegasus who though looked nothing like her mother, seemed to hold so many other similarities - more significant similarities, clearly. In her own timeline, the DragonHeart's passing had occurred not long before she had departed Helovia just half a turn ago; Amaris' heart was still fragile, still healing from the loss, still reeling as her emotions rose and fell like waves within her. In this mare, this curious little pegasus lass, she had found a kindred spirit, a wise and clever and delightful creature whose approval she now craved, desired, yearned to gain and keep - and she so longed to sling her own scaled nape around the pegasus' slim withers and hold her to her breast, to feel something akin to physical affection for this perfect stranger, this herdmate, this friend?

But Amaris did not act upon her want, her desire, for to do so would be to recognise the hurt, the loss, the passing of her mother all over again, and to admit that she was still so broken, so defeated inside (despite Dramyrth's wondrous existence, it was impossible to deny the abysmal loss the dragonmare still felt within herself). To bend to it all would make it everything worse, to admit that she was severely damaged by it still, when so much time had passed in Helovia, would admit that she was weak, pathetic, it would prove that despite the greatness of her parentage (even if Mirage's actions were considered acts of terrorism to some, she was still great), she was unworthy, a fragile representation of equine and draconic existence, shameful and undeserving to walk the life she was walking. The dragonmare swallowed instead, and with the action, she stuffed away the nostalgic, depressed yearning to be closer to this kindred spirit, and listened to her next instalment - only to have her insides shattered once more, as the pegasus announced her knowledge of Mirage the DragonHeart ( but of course she's heard of her, she's an integral part of the Edge's history - the herd that resides there now may never had existed if not for her actions in shattering the racist regime that pervaded Helovia ). Amaris held onto the smile that had perched itself upon her lips, nodding along absently to the words, praying they would not be brought up again so soon.

It was hypocritical of Amaris to listen to Yael's declaration of the Edge not always being her home, for the dragonmare had certainly wandered aplenty in her young life (and had just admitted it nonetheless), but she felt a strong, renewed, refreshed sense of loyal ties to the Edge now, and felt unexplainably defensive of the pegasus' lack of reciprocation. But Amaris did her best to swallow those feelings too, knowing they were misguided, inaccurately placed - Dramyrth distracted her, feelings the turmoil his bonded was in and hoping to make it a lighter load, by responding happily to Yael's trill by diving low in front of them and performing some airborne acrobatics, puffing some cooling, snowy breath in and around their aching limbs as he did so. Thank you, the dragonmare silently said to him, letting the sensation wash over her, both physical and emotional, as they walked along the Edge's misty paths.

And then Yael dove in and brought up her mother once more and Amaris could not help the seconds of surprise that crossed her façade, the flash of hurt and torment and torture, the milliseconds of stunned silence, the moments of lost grace as her step stumbled and tripped - but she recovered swiftly, blinked away the stunned expression upon her countenance and plastered a smile on there instead. How had she drawn that conclusion so swiftly? But then - Tandavi probably spoke of her aunt, and I am Tandavi's cousin.. and half dragon no less.. I was a fool to think my return would not bring some uncomfortable questions to the surface.
"The DragonHeart was my mother," Amaris started, knowing there was no denying it, no hiding from it - enough knew her from before her absence in the herd that it would be spoken about anyway, so she may as well speak her part and hope a story as close to the truth was spread rather than sensationalised, rumour-ridden tale changed and altered by every tongue it wandered across.

"She had similar magic to yourself - the ability to turn into a golden dragon, blessed by the Goddess herself. Mother took the Edge herdlands for herself and her followers, known as the Qian in a battle fought with the support of the other two herds that existed in the lands at the time. Helovia was a smaller realm back then, the Aurora Basin was not yet recognised as a herdland, the Hidden Falls were known instead as the Windtossed Foothills, and the Dragon's Throat was still connected to the mainland. Mother had her allies, and did not want to start a war, but the laws of the land were harsh and cruel, and so her actions became as much to obtain that which she had been blessed by the Moon Goddess to obtain." It was, as always, a condensed retelling of the events of the world Amaris had been born into, though she hoped she did it justice. "I was born after the Edge was secured by the Qian, and experienced the herd of former Edgelings', who at the time resided in the Basin, first attempt to re-taking the lands. They failed, and mother's reign continued until the Wraith's invaded the lands. She went directly into the fray, into the darkness, the poisoned lands and -"

Here, Amaris hesitated, swallowing abruptly, catching her breath, reassembling her thoughts. It had been cathartic, a release of the pent up tension, a torrent of historical retelling. Gathering her wits about her again, she continued:
"She wanted to vanquish this enemy, to protect the herd, the family she had built. My father took my sister and I away, to his birthlands of dragons; amidst the chaos, we lost Tandavi, and mother's brothers and sister joined her in the fight.." she trailed off again softly, her tone undulating as she neared the conclusion of her tale. "Sight nor sound of my mother was heard again until not long before Dramyrth hatched for me - I found her again, resurrected by the Moon Goddess, only to embrace her mortality at last and take her final flight in her draconic frame. I farewelled the DragonHeart, my mother, upon the borders of the very lands she poured so much of herself into." She wondered if the pegasus mare would pick up on the freshness of this event for Amaris - two years at least had passed since the DragonHeart had fallen for everyone else, but for her, it was still so new, so difficult, so strange. Mirage had been missing for so many years, but Amaris had always held the belief that she was still alive, still existing, never truly able to die - she was a timeless monument, a belief system, a faith in and of itself, more than she was an unremarkable, little black mare.

"Sorry," Amaris murmured after a few moments, "for the superfluous history lesson. I don't mention her often, for fear of not being to live up to her name - or for fear of living up to the negative connotations her name sometimes carries."
Artelanas | whimzi
on deviantart

@Yael - I see your novel and I raise you a book series! lol, loving this thread <3
No need to mirror my post length - I have a horrible case of the rambly writer syndrome!
I like being tagged!
You are always welcome to 'try' and use force/magic on Amaris, but similar to spar posts, leave it to me to decide how the damage is taken please~

Messages In This Thread
No more yielding, but a dream - by Yael - 04-04-2017, 02:15 PM
RE: No more yielding, but a dream - by Amaris - 04-08-2017, 07:50 PM
RE: No more yielding, but a dream - by Yael - 04-12-2017, 09:02 AM
RE: No more yielding, but a dream - by Amaris - 04-13-2017, 12:06 AM
RE: No more yielding, but a dream - by Yael - 04-18-2017, 05:30 PM
RE: No more yielding, but a dream - by Amaris - 04-18-2017, 11:14 PM
RE: No more yielding, but a dream - by Yael - 05-02-2017, 11:02 AM
RE: No more yielding, but a dream - by Akumi - 05-02-2017, 12:09 PM
RE: No more yielding, but a dream - by Amaris - 05-05-2017, 05:51 PM
RE: No more yielding, but a dream - by Yael - 05-13-2017, 03:32 PM
RE: No more yielding, but a dream - by Amaris - 05-27-2017, 09:18 PM