the Rift

I Walked Your Path || Ktulu

Abyss Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Abyss
"I must confess that I feel like a monster"

Death.

It was on his mind more often than he'd like to admit. The idea of it...of him falling prey to it. It lurked. It frightened. Death was not an easy concept to have so often on your mind.

Contradictions, it seemed, were also on the black stag's mind. Life, too, dwelt in the corners of his mind. He thought only fleetingly of death, but constantly of life...of the life mares would be bringing into the world this Frostfall yet. A father again, to hear his children playing again. It was a novel concept...one that he had not yet grasped fully. How long had it been since he had scolded an insolent child, praised a successful one, encouraged a frightened one, bolstered a shy one? How long?

Many years. Long years.

That would change soon. And he would be a father again. But even as life occupied his mind, as did death, and the aging he could feel in his old bones. It crept up on you, age...one day you were young, capable of the stamina that benefited a much younger stag, and the next you could feel the weariness in your bones.

Old bones.

"Abyss speaks"

Ktulu the Constrictor Posts: 509
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 70.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Eytan :: Grizzly Bear :: Terrorize ali

The young bear cub lay draped lazily across Ktulu's back and Hototo stuck close to her side as she made the trek from the deep forest to the meadow. The snow under hoof crunched loudly, effectively destroying any effort she would have made toward being silent, but it mattered little. She was not stalking anything yet and there was no one in sight that she could see. It was not so strange to her how Frostfall put her more on edge than any other season. The lack of food left everyone hungry and on edge, ready to defend whatever little plot of food they had found for themselves. The predators were out in force hunting and taking down the weakest. She had a lot to protect between her son and her bonded. As Frostfall went on she hardly let them out of her sight.

As their journey came to an end Eytan lifted his head and looked around the snow covered meadow then slipped from his position on Ktulu's back. He landed in the snow with a soft grunt then lifted himself and shoo k the white stuff from his fur. He was getting older now, but he was still not old enough to hunt for himself, so Ktulu then moved in the direction of a few deer that were stripping bark from one of the bare trees.

The kill was quick and clean. The moment her magic had gone to work on the deer's lungs it collapsed into the snow. She was quick to cleave is head in to end its suffering as quickly as possible. Eytan then ran over and began his feast in earnest.

Ktulu did not like to kill in front of her son, but it was a matter of life and death for her young charge and she would not let him die. Hototo would find that sometimes death was inevitable and he would have to learn to cope with it, she had decided some time ago. It still did not quell her dislike of killing while he was around.

The dark mare ushered Hototo away from the reddening snow, but positioned herself where she could keep an eye on Eytan while he ate. Her head stayed up as she scraped away layers of snow for Hototo. The dark mare's eyes stopped on a dark stallion who was sharing the meadow with them. Crimson eyes narrowed and her head tilted in a fashion that allowed the light to glint off of the red tip of her horn. She would not call out to him, if he was passing through she would prefer him gone sooner rather than later.

Icon by Tay

Abyss Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Abyss
"I must confess that I feel like a monster"

It was not so often that the stallion encountered a bear cub. Warily, from across the meadow, he watched as a mare and her young, both horse and bear, made their way across it. The mare had been carrying the cub across her shoulders before she killed food for the creature. The mare ushered her child away from the blood and the stallion tilted his dark head to the side. Did she mean to keep killing from the lad? Curiosity welled in the elder stag, but he was wary of the red tipped horn of the mare.

"Good day," he called out as he drew nearer. If his company was not desired he would leave. The bear, young though it was could have hurt him, and the mare with her horn gleaming in the sun would no doubt run him through if she perceived him as a threat. Again, the idea of death taunted him. It seemed that everywhere he turned he was threatened, by invisible foes and those that stood before him.

"I am Abyss."

"Abyss speaks"

Hototo Posts: 96
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 17.2hh :: 3 years
Boom Boom!
HOTOTO</style>
   HE WHO IS BRAVE IS FREE.</style>

I did not like blood.

The smell of iron was something that made me feel quite sick, and so I avoided watching as mother made quick work of a meal for Bear. Instead, I found myself kicking up clods of snow while she did this, trying to push out of my mind the scene just over my shoulder. Mother was quite unaltered by violence, which was intriguing. She was stronger than I, perhaps, to be able to face so coldly the cruelty of pain as well as deal it onto others. I wonder if mother was ashamed of me as her son, as I had never allowed harm to befall any in my company, especially not as a consequence of my actions.

I recall quite bitterly that my mother had a particular skill fit for injury. To be able to cease the breath in another's throat, that was something that terrified me to imagine. Ktulu the Constrictor; that is what mother was called, and it was a fitting title. I glance over my shoulder in time to see the pool of blood forming, which I am calmly moved away from. I concede to my mother's guiding movements, swiftly moving in my ever straightening legs forward. They were almost completely recovered now, though my knees still bent awkwardly inward and occasionally slammed together if I moved to quickly. The knicks and scrapes and bald patches surrounding the joints were a testimony to this struggle, but I had an ease of movement that I sorely lacked in my early months.

I was profoundly glady to have found this freedom, for mother had left the Throat with little explanation, and since, we have been wondering Helovia aimlessly. I believe mother is planning something, but I have paid little heed to what it is. The world and the waxing of months is far more interesting to me than adult chit chat.

My bitoned eyes catch sight of a massive creature closing in, black in color which contrasts heavily with the snow world of the meadow. Automatically, I grow nervous, turning my head up to look at mother's crimson eyes. My tiny face holds a question that my voice does not pose, but the narrowing of her eyes and the silence she holds answers it immediately. We do not know this stranger, and he is potentially dangerous. Instinctually, even as his voice booms across the terrain, I move closer to mother's side, nudging her legs with my curling ram horns painted metallic. "He is big, mother," I whisper to her, worriedly glancing up at her while remaining at her side, glancing out from behind her muscled shoulder.
""

ooc; I hope you don't mind me jumping in. ^^ since toto was mentioned I figured it'd be okay.

Stock Providers: Horse, Wings, and Background.