the Rift

courage, dear heart

elaphaea Posts: 3
Unclaimed
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.0hh :: 4
alimarije

go ahead, underestimate me
Not wavering beneath the gaze of the orange lit eyes, she holds perfectly still with her muscles tense and her head held high. There’s only a slight shift in stature when his eyes don’t stray farther than her neck, it makes some of her muscles unclench. Her blue eyes seem to warm up a little but not enough to seem friendly.

It surprised her, most men took several glances and almost never of her face. They looked at everything and nothing at all. She grew up believing that everything could be bought and that no one should defy them, the brutes, the champions. The ones that hold all the pieces and could so easily squash her if they wanted. She grew weary and angry and didn’t want to put up with it but if your father sends you off to marry one, sells you like a bargain, you have no foundation to stand on. Thereafter the glances became an annoyance, only a small part of a future inflicted on her.

But he doesn’t, his eyes don’t look at her the way she’s used to and it’s a relief.

His green eyes dart away, look up to the morning sky and follow the colours painted across the canopy. Her glance follows the thin streaks of morning light painted across the tree bark, beautiful hues of orange and pale pinks that caress their coats in the eerie morning mist. When did she stop appreciating her surroundings?

”You are in the vast continent of Helovia. This forest's name is lost to time, though it's known now as the Threshold.” Her eyes flit back to his body, long spider web lashes framed around her incurious eyes. She straightens her back and changes to a less defensive stance, looking around this “threshold”. “It’s only the entrance?” She deduces from the name, her eyes once again returned to his.

It’s then that he steps forwards and her brow furrows, one ear tentatively turned backwards. “And no, my warning was no threat. I only meant to speak the truth, and to warn a woman travelling alone in a land she does not know. Just because you possess the skills or means to defend yourself does not mean you are safe” Her head tilts slightly and her long curly tresses fall to frame her slightly concave profile. He was right and she wouldn’t be too proud to admit so. You achieve nothing by being stubborn, even if it brings her great pleasure. “I was too quick to judge, I tend to be careful around strangers.” She says softly, almost apologetic if it wasn’t for that coldness seeping through.
[Image: elaphaea_by_mockingale_da94fq6_by_alimarije-dashh26.png]

"Before I am your daughter, your sister, your aunt, niece, or cousin,
I am my own person, and I will not set fire to myself to keep you warm."

Messages In This Thread
courage, dear heart - by elaphaea - 05-18-2017, 12:24 PM
RE: courage, dear heart - by elaphaea - 05-22-2017, 07:30 AM
RE: courage, dear heart - by Tilney - 05-22-2017, 08:47 AM