the Rift

Fortune (open/Herd Joining)

Tallow Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
The buckskin mare's legs moved in rhythm, evenly. She felt a throbbing in her right temple but it was nothing new. Every day at that exact time it came back. The mare's black mane hung down her neck, even and beautiful. Her tail flicked away a fly. "Stupid thing. Doesn't it know not to hang around beautiful ladies?" The mare laughed, raspy and fake. Her nose dipped down and nosed the grass, looking for a delicious patch. What a lovely place this was. But it wasn't enough. She wanted company. Tallow stepped forward, mesmerised by everything around her. She dreamed that one day a stallion would sweep her off to his home, where she would be protected from predators. Making sure that that she looked her best if, by chance, a stallion did happen to pass by. She wanted to be memorable. Once upon a time, a long, long time ago, Tallow had gone around for an entire year calling her self Esther. She figured aliases were attractive. But she grew out of her name, and refused to be called it. Tallow, believe it or not, used to be a loner, except for patrolling with her sister.

She remembered, one time, coming across a family of 4 (one yearling) and Lusi saying: 'Oh yes, this is my daughter, Tal. She's a beauty isn't she.' And her and the dam walking off. Tallow remembered playing with those foals, and when she got her coat a bit dirty, the brats had cried out 'Your coat! It's disgusting! Don't you care about personal hygiene?!' That afternoon, she'd told Lusilga.
Horrified, Lusi had exclaimed, 'You don't really care what a bunch of strangers think, do you?' And Tallow found out that:

She did.

Tallow's ears pricked up at the sound of birds. Birds, lovely things. There was no one to be seen for miles. Surely she'd have time to dry off, if she just stepped in the river. It was actually quite deep, up to her knees. Placing one hoof forward, then the other, she was soon standing in the river. Her tail hung on the surface of the water, making her look like a water horse. Once she got down again, Tallow laid her body upon the grass. No one would come. She could rest. When she woke up, her coat was still beautiful. Laughing, the mare did the most childish thing ever; she galloped across the river. Now, that was childish to her, but the mare's childhood had been stolen. Trying not to look down, the mare reached the other side. Looking into the water, she never saw a buckskin mare. She always saw a black stallion with a blaze. Figuro. Snorting, the mare lowered her head, kissing the water lightly. It was her fault he was dead. Yes he had bred other mares, but they had asked for the foals. He hadn't loved them. If only Tallow hadn't left. Then the attack might have been warded off. She wouldn't have found him dying. She wouldn't have had to destroy those false hopes all over again.

When she looked at herself in a metal reflection, or a mirror, she didn't see that stallion. But she still didn't see herself. She saw Mariah. Her friend. She too, had died. Tallow had called her all number of names, the cause she couldn't even remember. Came back, found Mariah crushed beneath a boulder. Why had she had to die for Tallow's own faults? Why had she even died? Tallow already knew the answer. Because Tallow was a hot-headed, insecure freak. Because Tallow couldn't hold her tongue. Because it was more fun, to Mother Nature, to watch her suffer, than die.

Tallow snorted, ridding herself of horrid thoughts that should only come to you at night. All of a sudden the emptiness was too much to bear. "Hello?" her voice hadn't been used in so long, it was barely audible. Raising her voice, a shrill "ANYONE THERE?" escaped into the forest. Sighing, Tallow headed into the forest. Time for a new life. No more deaths because of her. No more deaths that would hurt, at least.[/size]

Torasin Posts: 132
Deceased
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.1 :: 8
imi

TORASIN

; at what speed must I live, to be able to see you again?

Torasin walked through the forests, Kiba had disappeared on a hunting trip. The dragon seemed to be doing that more frequently, Torasin guessed it was the harsh conditions making it harder to find food. The brown did enjoy his hunting trips however, as the painted gentleman often caught a stray thought of joy from his bonded. The trees became thicker, the Threshold was a welcome shelter from the vigour's of the icy winds. The birds nested in covered branches and flew swiftly to find food, their wings beating with haste at winters harsh glare. Torasin flicked his tail from side to side, the cold no longer bothering him too much now his fur had grown accustomed to it. His pale figure dancing through the forest until long golden lobes caught the sound of a nearby traveller, lost apparently.

Happily moving into his prancing trot, the bubbly healer rounded a few trees until he finally laid eyes on the buckskin female who had shrilly called after the presence of simply, anyone. Torasin slowed his gait to a careful walk and approached her with nothing but sincerity and kindness, his thoughts going to his herd and the protection they continually offered to mares such as she. "Is there something I can help you with Miss? Or is it a new home you seek?"

Curt were his vocals which hung high and polite on the air as the pale boy formed a halt in front of the buttery femme. Green splashed pools looking at her curiously and awaiting her answers. The joy that came with helping others clear on his merry features as he sent a smug thought to his hunting dragon about him missing out on meeting someone new. An eerie silence was all he got in return and Torasin absently chuckled as he imagined the brown reptile ferociously chasing down his prey so he could return to his bonded. To meet this fair lady.

[Image: anothertortable.png]

Unregistered
The buckskin mare's head hung low, parallel to the ground. She knew only one thing right now, she was changed. Changed and twisted. Insecure, but scared of relationships. Tallow's black forelock hung over her forehead, shining. Ears twitched as her hooves hit the ground, one at a time. Turning her head, her nostrils flared as the scent of a stallion weaved its way into her nostrils. Thank god, the mare thought. Her eyes, the colour of a forest, looked around for the scent's producer. Not finding anything, the mare continued. Then a palomino tobiano stallion walked out of the trees. Tallow's eyes settled on him, curious. Inhaling and exhaling, her golden ears listened to his comment. "I-I'm not exactly sure. But I do not have a home anymore." Her voice, though warm, had a glaze of coldness sprinkled over it, like she was wounded. "I don't care about that place any more. I'm starting anew, let me tell you that much."

He stopped in front of her, and his eyes, much like her own, looked her over. The femme stepped backwards, looking at him with a pinch of suspicion. Why shouldn't she be suspicious? She didn't want him to make her do something stupid. She wouldn't mind being his friend, but he'd better not expect best-friendship, or he'd be direly disappointed. She'd had too much experience of that. Besides. She didn't want to forget- no. She was starting anew, she told herself. A new mare, who didn't know who Figuro, or Mariah. But they'd always be at the back of her mind, though she didn't know that yet. They'd pop up whenever she looked at another horse, or bathed. She blinked for a moment and behind the stallion, she thought she saw a dark stallion. Stepping back, Tallow had a wave of confusion. But he wasn't there. He wasn't there anymore. Glancing at the ground, Tallow regained her composure. "I suppose I need a home. One like me does."

Deceased
imi

TORASIN

Torasin's green pools softened as she spoke of her old home, of never wanting to return. He didn't really know why, but it made him sad. Her voice was warm but hinted at an internal struggle, one that the paint chose not to pry on and instead watched her intently as suspicion rose into those forest coloured orbs of hers. A buttery ear flicked back in confusion, she seemed afraid... Or was it suspicion. Torasin's features turned from dismay to a welcoming demeanour, lowering his head and making himself look less like a threat and more like a friend. Her warm tones spoke once more, her composure seemingly regained, words confirming his own thoughts. A smile rippled across his gilded features and a honey voice offered her a little more security.

"I am Torasin, of the Worlds Edge herd, and I would gladly offer our lands as a place you could call home." Thoughts wondered if she'd offer a name he could call her in return. Involuntary he looked back towards the bitter cold land, the wind taking hold of his mane that blew in creamy folds, his face unreadable. It lasted a few mere seconds before he happily turned back to the femme to further explain. "We have many positions open for apprentices should you wish to make yourself more useful once you arrive, ma'am. It's not too far a journey from here."

He moved no closer to the mare and held his friendly stance, waiting and watching her reactions.

Unregistered
Tallow watched him. His eyes softened when she spoke of her old home. "There's nothing there anymore worth my time." Her voice had a stone casing. She didn't care if he thought her heartless. Behind him she saw a dark body standing there. But it disappeared in a flash. Tallow watched the palomino lower his head in a friendly demeanour. She smiled slightly when he gave his name. "I go by the name Tallow. My home is gone, but now I am new. I know none of the horses in that previous life and most of all, in this life... No one will be hurt by my friendship!" the mare laughed.
"What types of apprentices? Warriors, nurses? I, Torasin, would be happy to take any one of them." The mare closed her eyes and jumped back in surprise. Mariah was there, eyes angry. Get the hell out of my brain. I don't know who you are. Who was she kidding. Mariah would always be there. So would Figuro. But... she could ignore them. Her green eyes glinted slightly. Tallow was flawless. That was her flaw. Too obsessed with popularity. But she had just started on the wrong path, though she didn't know it, a path to ruin.

Deceased
imi

TORASIN

Sadness was the only feeling that intruded his happy demeanour when she spoke of her home. Something about her seemed strange, her eyes seemed far away as if she was seeing through him. The look didn't last long and Torasin felt a shiver run through his body, whatever had happened in her past it can't have been good. She spoke her name, Tallow, and of a new life and the value of her friendship. He smiled when she laughed and pricked his gilded lobes to her next words.

Green pools lit up as she asked after the apprentice positions, he wondered what sort of position she would go after. Whether she was a fighter, healer or a thinker. In essence, the painted steed was both healer and thinker but leant more favourably towards the healing art. "Yes, we have protectors, nurses, philosophers, wraiths and even crafting. The greater the dedication the quicker the rise in rank."

His crisp vocals came to a pause as he considered the mare before him. She was jumpy yet he didn't now why and in turn her edginess made him nervous. Torasin turned and began to walk in the direction of home, "would you like me to show you the way?" A golden head turned and looked back enquiringly, waiting for an answer.

[ooc; I can make you a thread in the Worlds Edge if you like? ^^]

Unregistered
When Tallow spoke of her old home, Torasin's eyes gained a saddened look. The mare's words drifted off when she saw the dark shape behind her mate. Gone in a flash, though. Tallow shook her golden head, black mane falling over her marking. She had no time for old memories. Tallow finally spoke her name to the fellow equine.

Torasin's eyes seemed to light up when she asked about the positions available in the herd. What skill was he? She nodded slightly. "I shall have a look at all of them before I choose. I want to make a right decision." Her butterscotch head turned it's gaze to Torasin.

The mare was now jumpy. Why? She couldn't be asked. She could tell she was making him nervous. He turned in the opposite direction. Tallow stepped back, hesitating for only a moment.The stallion stopped and turned his head inquiringly. Then Tallow smiled and trotted after him.

{Ooc; Yes please :)}