the Rift

[OPEN] Autumn Snow

Canaan Posts: 18
Aurora Basin Phantom
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.2 :: 5
Silk

Canaan
Screams of the Innocent

I walked in silence from the place that had been the threshold to this strange new land. To say the least, my mind had been blown. I was greeted by fellow equines, but they were very strange indeed. Two with strange wings on their back - pegasus. One that was normal, like me. And another that had a horn protruding from her forehead like a rhinoceros. Whatever place I had come to was not normal. I had always thought that I was abnormal, and that my past was a large contributing factor. And yet, clearly I was as plain as vanilla.

I groaned at the headache that made its way through my skull, setting there to make a comfy bed. Ugh. I'd wandered north and now my hooves crunched through a light layer of snow. I shivered. No winter coat had grown in on my body, and the mud I had splattered on myself earlier now worked against me. With each step my tail clung closer to my hindquarters and my ears laid further against my skull.

Night had set since I had begun my journey, and then much of it had passed as I wandered. Now I stopped by a strange, lonely rock formation. It did little to provide shelter, but blocked my form from the breeze. Now I waited quietly, minding my own business, waiting for the sun to rise and warm me. I kept my body close to the rock, leaving my blind eye toward it so I could easily see anyone approaching. I was on my way to the "Aurora Basin" as my new home was called. I had separated from those that had invited me - Nora and Noah - but I didn't mind continuing the journey alone. In fact I had welcomed it, after having experienced so many new things among my immediate arrival into this new land.

My thoughts wandered back to those that I had met early. Sansa, the young roan filly with the dog that ran about her feet. It seemed to be a friendship, a companionship, and it was certainly something I'd never seen before. What must it be like to have a predator as a friend? Nice to have some fangs to protect you, or work for you...  And then there was Noah, the stallion with wings. He seemed very protective of the bicolored lady by his side, Nora. Was there something more than just possessiveness? What would I know... I was not one for wonderful relationships.

Finally, there was the ivory mare that appeared to be a similar age to myself. She was an interesting specimen. Speaking as if she is more than one, constant giggling. She seemed to be trying to mock me, but I didn't care. If I thought more highly of myself perhaps I would have taken offense, or found insult. As it was, such things ran off like water off a duck's back. Instead I found her rather amusing, especially that it was so easy to get under nerves.. calling her a rhino, or splattering mud upon her perfect coat. Not that I had intended offense with either, but it still was very amusing.

I glanced out with my good eye in the chill (but not cold) air and wondered if any other strange creatures would make their way past me. Certainly this was something I had to quickly adapt to, or else suffer from permanent shock. My tangled mane and forelock covered my blind eye, so that even if I had been facing out, my crystal blue eye would be hidden from view.

"blah blah blah."
@Glacia @Ki'irha

You may use force with Canaan with the exception of permanent maiming or death.
OOC
Thread Tracker
Wish List
DeviantArt

Glacia Posts: 111
Aurora Basin Medic atk: 4.0 | def: 8.0 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 4 Years HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Name :: Snowy Owl :: None Nessie

I traversed the steppe so much in my youth, and I still loved it. The vast expanse of space, the cold even during the hottest times of the year. I still had to plow my way through the snow, even now. The light had yet to arrive, it was so early, as I set out on my trek back to a place I called home. I wandered closer to the rock formations, the other side being caves and caverns, places I had been very few times, my last experience involving a previous lady, Ophelia, and my long since gone sister Sno. It hadn't been overly pleasant.

But looking over the valley of the Basin I remembered meeting my father here (Where was he?). A colt scared to death, Although I couldn't remember his name for the life of me. Others here too. Rhoa. The dark coal, a silhouette of what I've always wanted. Not that I didn't appreciate Rikyn. But Rhoa had been... My first? Erotic, and warm. Gentle, in so many ways. Despite the cold that surrounded us, he had made it a heated memory.

But I had moved forward. I had a family, like no other I had before. Rikyn, Duir, but especially Gwyn. After I had her, it was like a different world. It was shocking. I loved my parents, and yet they had been so hard to deal with, both so distant. My mother, self centered and power hungry. She was critical, and cared only for what she could get from life. My father was emotional, but also distant. When he was around things were amazing. When he was gone, he was no where. I went months, even years without him. He wasn't there for my birth. He was a web of self despair. And yet when I truly needed him most, he some how managed to find a way to be there. Through everything with the twins, he was there. He had felt the loss of his own children. He kept me from my stupid mistakes.

I hadn't particularly paid much attention as I moved forward, but it actually came in a sudden realization that I had stumbled upon someone. A loud snort immediately reverberated through my nostrils towards the stranger. Carefully my blue eyes skimmed over the dark figure. Looking for any sign of horn, wings, hostility. Maybe fangs.

But it was just a stallion. Suspiciously I watched him. "Sorry... You don't run into many strangers on the steppe. Especially not at night. I hope I didn't startle you as much as I startled myself." I clear my throat, still not letting any guard down, but trying to be friendly. "I'm Glacia. I'm sorry to have disturbed you. I really am."
"Speech goes here."

@Canaan

Glacia
Slow down, it's a science
Credit

Aurora Basin Phantom
Silk
I had started to drift in thought. There was no particular strain to it, no tracks laid out for the train. I was lost and had cease to pay attention to my surroundings. So when the speckled mare snorts out of surprise upon seeing me, my lowered head rises in near-equal alarm, though my snort is softer than hers. After all, I was expecting someone to come upon me eventually. I simply did not expect that someone to be so shocked by my presence.

She seemed the most normal I'd seen so far - no horns, no wings, no strange markings. Her dark form was lightened by almost brindling of spots. She was lovely to look at and in the chill air I actually found her presence comforting. Not that any of those thoughts showed on my visage nor lit my eyes. I turned my head toward her as she introduced herself as Glacia. Still my crystalline eye was hidden by forelock. I lowered my crown just an inch out of respectful greeting. I may be a brute but I'm not completely ass backwards.

Her surprise at seeing me is still evident, and she explains as such. I shake a little, knocking some of the slow-drying mud from my dark pelt. I stepped from the formation, but my body was nonthreatening and my movement was largely to shed what little light there was over myself. Glacia.. My voice was gruff, having receded from under usage. I am Canaan. I am not disturbed, and I'm sorry you were startled. Not that I'm sorry for startling her - it's her own fault for being unaware as it was mine for being unaware of her. But those are small distinctions that I don't need to elaborate on, for they would bore anyone but myself. I had to keep from a chuckle when I said I was not disturbed.... It all depends on what kind of disturbed we're talking about. Not that I would ever be considered as loony as the lass in the threshold. Hers was most definitely a chronic, clinical case. Full medications prescribed.

I did not say anymore, wonderful if the mare would explain why it was odd to see strangers there. Or perhaps it was upon myself to explain my wanderings. I didn't feel the need to explain, not just yet, and so I waited in silence, trying to leave my expression open and encouraging for her to continue speaking.

the
Aurora Basin
sneak

image | coding

@Glacia
OOC
Thread Tracker
Wish List
DeviantArt

Glacia Posts: 111
Aurora Basin Medic atk: 4.0 | def: 8.0 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 4 Years HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Name :: Snowy Owl :: None Nessie

His voice is rough as it says my name, and I smile, waiting for his name in return. I don't have to wait long, and he replies with his name. Canaan. Wait! That was the name of the colt that had made his way up here and was precariously perched above the basin.

"Thats funny. I met one stranger up here, a long long time ago. He was named Canaan as well. But he was a unicorn. And seemed an easily frightened guy." I laughed, and fell silent. I was waiting for maybe more than the stallion had said. When he didn't I shifted uncomfortably, for a moment before opening my mouth. "What are you doing up here anyways? I often come up for walks myself. If you are lost, maybe I can point you in the right direction?" A smile lifted my lips hopefully, and I began to relax. The stallion seemed uninterested in harming me, and his body language suggested that he was comfortable.

An idea comes into mind. "You know, I know a very beautiful spot that overlooks the Aurora Basin. If you would like we can walk there? If not, I understand. But I should be headed back that way soon, so." I move closer to the stallion, not enroaching on his space of course, but not so far away and uncomfortable. While he had startled me initially, he seemed harmless.

"Speech goes here."

@Canaan

Glacia
Slow down, it's a science
Credit

Aurora Basin Phantom
Silk
It seems that there would be no shortage of words tossed between us, for as I am silent, this Glacia is chatty. I stay silent as she chatters on, and even if I wanted to interrupt her it would have been difficult for her lips did not seem to stop moving. (Except, perhaps, for a supportive breath.) Not that I minded. It was enjoyable to not have the pressure of mutual exchange resting on my shoulders, and instead I listened with mild, relaxed curiosity. Another Canaan? That's unfortunate... for many reasons. I was not keen on having a duplicate - especially a 'unicorn' (that's what they're called?) duplicate. Plus, there may be added confusion as to which one is which. Deep in my thoughts I hoped that this other Canaan had vanished for good.

She wondered if I was lost, and although I did not know the area well, I felt certain that I was on the correct path to the entrance of the Basin. But she kept on, and mentioned that there was a nice overlook into the Basin, and moved closer to me. My ears slowly swiveled back, uncertain by her closeness, though my 'personal bubble' was still intact. I decided to ignore whatever it was that was happening and nodded my assent to her question. My lips part to form a reply: "Actually, the Basin is where I'm headed. I wouldn't mind seeing a different perspective." A rusty, poor smile passes over my would-be kissers as I try to look optimistic and encouraging. It works to poor effect, but at least the gist of it would be apparent.

She seemed to feel comfortable with my presence. A deep part of me feels the need to be fierce and menacing, but that part of me is so deep -- buried under lock and key, under years of self-hate and self-deprecation, that it could not possibly surface now. Instead I am the zombie, an empty shell that functions without feeling. So I shall be her amiable companion and docile friend - the image that I have presented, the one she sees me to be. I motion in the direction of the path I have been following and take steps in that direction, expecting she will guide my path. I find myself revealing, just a little bit... I had never seen a unicorn-- There's a question in the word, for confirmation that that is indeed the word for what she is. -- or pegasus until I got here. Or seen a canine following a horse around! My words are soft, a hint of embarrassment coloring them. I do not like to admit that there are some areas of the world that I do not possess knowledge of.

the
Aurora Basin
sneak

image | coding

@Glacia
OOC
Thread Tracker
Wish List
DeviantArt