the Rift

If I Leave My Grin Behind [open]

Chester Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Chester
You are now invited to the other side of sanity

The tiny unicorn is still and silent. This is a bad sign, for normally he is animated, singing and cavorting about. Not today however. No lyrics float in the air about him, there is no dizzying blur of brightly colored stripes. Simply a purple marked strawberry roan that lays in the shelter of a large pine. Or maybe it’s a fir. He doesn’t know, doesn’t much care. It has green needles that cling to the branches and block some of the snow, and that is enough.

He misses his home. The Knight-Who-Is-Not has been kind, playing along with his games, but it is not the same. At first this new land was full of adventure and other creatures he could puzzle with cryptic remarks about a world they could never comprehend. Now it is bleak and desolate, colors faded and everything making sense. And time, how he hates it. Time meant nothing in Wonderland, didn’t exist except in the ticking of clocks that were never correct. Here it marched on relentlessly, and he can almost feel it working on him, causing his unfamiliar body to rot all around him. It is enough to drive one mad, but then, he has always been mad. Or maybe he’s sane, saner than those who surrounded him, but cursed to speak in riddles. ‘Heavy is the burden of the wise ones when no one understands a word they say.’ The quote echoes hollowly, something he must have picked up at one point or another.

Yellow eyes peer out from the protection of the pine, or fir, or whatever it is. Chester is not expecting company, but that was usually when it turned up. Another to make-believe, to call by another name and immerse himself in the delightful feel of causing confusion. The forest is still however, and dark is falling rapidly. Another thing he was forced to accustom himself too, the steady rise and set of the sun that should blaze but does not. His painted sun does not exist here, and the rabbit hole is lost now, disappeared without a trace the way he once had, leaving the Cheshire Cat behind in an equine body, in a foreign realm where everything is exactly what it seems.

OOC:
Walking the walk
Talking the talk
Thinking my thoughts

Myrddin Posts: 115
Deceased
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17 :: Old
Aud

But are things the way they seem? How could we ever know?

See this:

A painstakingly old Unicorn is walking towards our would-be Cheshire Cat. He walks with the lazy un-impressiveness of old age. And why should he be impressed? Has anything truly changed, from when he first breathed in life, so many years ago? Myrddin thought not – lives were taken for the same fleeting and unimportant reasons; decisions were made based on faulty logic and even when they weren’t…so what? It all came full circle and the madness began again.

As he scented the frost in the stagnant air, Myrddin couldn’t help but allow his mind to drown in philosophical investigations. Like: What if this was all a dream? How could he truly know that he was in fact awake, and on a collision course with the colorful unicorn? If it was a dream, would he have any evidence for it, that was not completely congruent with being asleep? Further, wouldn’t the sight of the oddly coloured little fellow actually count as reason to believe, that this was in fact a dream? But whose dream? For surely neither Myrddin nor Chester were anywhere that they wished to be.

Myrddin continued walking on the path, which would shortly bring him to Chester, lost in the sort of philosophical thoughts that only the old cared about; that only the old realized were important.

Unregistered

Chester

The white horse with a branch on his head comes into view, instantly attracting Chester’s attention. He is old, that is easy to tell, yet intriguing, and the little unicorn is interested enough to emerge from his green cave. The bitter feeling of homesickness lingers, but has been temporarily pushed aside in order to investigate the newcomer. He chooses to slink today rather than dance merrily, his hunting cat attitude bringing him closer one deliberate step at a time. He is surreal against his backdrop of evergreens, snow, and brown earth, a vision of pink and purple, and he takes comfort in this fact. In this land of washed out color, he at least pops, brilliant and uncanny. Tail lashes, adding to the catlike demeanor he tries so hard to recapture, and yellow eyes almost glow.

Jabberwock, he decides. The stallion reminds him of the beast with his ancient wisdom. Of course, the wisdom of the pale one has yet to be determined, but names can change. Lilting voice speaks, eerie and high compared to the quiet state of the trees. “Lost your way?”

He is both friend and foe, yet neither. None have ever understood the intentions of the strange pony, even those who put up with his nonsense long enough to try. Riddles, lies and truths mixed together in a complex web that leaves others floundering whilst he skips along the strands like a deranged spider. “The woods are not safe. You may find a knight with a vorpal sword.”

OOC:
Walking the walk
Talking the talk
Thinking my thoughts

Deceased
Aud

Myrddin, lost in thought, did not so much as hear the little Unicorn as he slunk from his lair - though, had he been listening, he probably would not have heard him, anyways. Had he been paying attention, he might have wondered if in fact the little lad's hooves were not padded somehow, to dampen the sound?

As Chester came into view, Myrddin halted with all of the lazy surprise of one waking from a dream. He regarded the little creature with great interest - a dull light flooding his murky gaze. How feline he appears! Myrddin thought, with amusement. He instantly felt a great affection for this little creature - who so clearly did not belong in a world where shadows were permanently sewed to their owners, and tree's always remained where they were rooted. Myr's hairy ears flickered to catch the little lad's questions as they came, delighted that this conversation did not begin with a, 'Hi how are you." How boring that would have been.

"In order to be lost, youngling, I would first need a destination. But having none, I can never lose my way." Myr's voice was gruff, but pleasant sounding - like a singer who had inhaled too much smoke. "Aye. And if I did meet such a one, I might ask of him why he killed that Jabberwock', for I'd be very interested in hearing his reasons."

Myrddin peered into the gloom of the forest, momentarily afraid that perhaps a lion may come and chase him about - But things like that could not happen in lands such as these, could they? After all, was there not proof right before him, draped in pinks and purples, that would suggest otherwise?

Unregistered

Chester

The elder knows of Wonderland then, or at least part of it. How perfectly marvelous. It would seem that he is not the only remnant of a forgotten world, merely a misplaced traveler. Shivery laughs slither forth, and teeth are bared in his trademark grin, though the body of an equine is far less suited to the expression than a cat.

"Are you certain the way you can never lose is yours?" His question is said musingly, for it is one he does not know the answer to, unlike most of his queries. “How would you know if the Jabberwock was truly dead though? For the queen has a rather engaging habit of separating heads from necks, yet the cards keep their numbers. Could not the creature be the same?” It is refreshing to speak with one who can answer intelligently, and Chester does not wish to squander the opportunity. The philosophical conversation holds his rather short attention span in place, and rather than prance about as he usually does, he stays in his spot, fox ears pricked for the next words this intriguing old one may utter.

The land is still dull, yet it now seems filled with potential. Indeed, the lion may spring from the trees and demand a battle for the crown, bread-and-butterflies flit past, a smoking blue caterpillar demand to know who they are. It is a delightful sensation, the suspense and wondering, and his lamp like orbs gleam with glee.

Stories do not tell all, and he ponders that this may simply be a hidden book. After all, if Alice is in Wonderland, why shouldn’t the Cheshire Cat fall up the rabbit hole to take her place? For the girl had had a kitten after all, one who had not been taught the ways of a cat. As she is lost, so is he, but Chester plans to enjoy the experience now that the idea has been revealed.

OOC:
Walking the walk
Talking the talk
Thinking my thoughts

Deceased
Aud

Oh yes, Myrddin knew of Wonderland - and many other lands as well; Midworld and Endworld, the lands of King Arthur...and now Helovia. The others, his herd, who had shared his experiences were gone now, leaving the burdens of memory to him, and him alone. And sadly, no queen, red or otherwise, could revive them.

Myrddin gave a hearty laugh at the younglings' question, and shook his head causing tattered bits of mane to clump annoyingly into his eyes. Blowing a steady stream of air towards the wayward locks, he replied, "I am almost sure that the way is not mine. Perhaps it is yours? 'Tis hard to say - for if the way is already determined, even for the determiner, then perhaps it cannot be found or lost. And if the Jabberwock' has lost his head, is still himself? Or is the He, that was him, only in his head, and now his body is an entirely new entity, unto itself? Contrariwise, I wonder if you are still you, even in that body."

Of this latter statement, it is difficult to tell if he was still speaking of the Jabberwocky, or of Chester. For surely Myrddin had never come across the Cheshire Cat before? Billy Bumblers, and Carpenters, and perhaps even the Rabbit, but never the Cat. And while it might be obvious that Chester had some feline qualities, how could he know? Myrddin regarded the little fellow - noting the way that his grin seemed to defy his equine bone structure, and the way that his tail flicked in such a feline manner. But what is he doing here? Myrddin wondered offhandedly, and Is it his unbirthday?.

Unregistered

Chester

A chuckle, then the wordplay is returned. “The way is not mine. Or maybe it is. Or perhaps there is no path at all. All three, or none of the above. It does not matter. Way or no way, the both of us will continue, for that is how this world works. Move or don’t, but time will have its will.” A dismissive flick of his candy colored tail. “The body is unimportant. It does as it wishes until it doesn’t. Minds are always going, thinking and drifting and dreaming, waiting for the body to obey. I am mad though, so I may be wrong. Then I may be right. Which would you prefer?”

“The Knight of Hearts is here.” An abrupt turn of conversation, unexpected and in keeping with his erratic nature. “And Tweedledee, though his Tweedledum no longer stands at his side. Yet they are not. They speak, and they travel, they live, but they do not know.”

The aged unicorn is a strange beast, asking questions and playing the game as well as he himself does. It is fascinating, and it is frustrating, and it means nothing, for soon one of them will depart and leave the other with naught but a memory. Chester finds that time is a rather irritating thing when it moves straight, rather than back and forth and all wibbly-wobbly, only to reset itself whenever it likes. This conversation will only happen now, when it should be yet to happen, happening, and long since past all at once.

OOC:
Walking the walk
Talking the talk
Thinking my thoughts

Deceased
Aud

Myrddin nodded listening to what another might have construed as incoherent ramblings - utter nonsense. How could the 'way', be all three, or none? What were they even talking about, at this point? But Myrddin was not lost - he understood perfectly, and a layer of dust seemed to shake itself loose from his heart, as a pang of sadness overcame the old Unicorn. How perfectly out of place this little one was; how in danger, and dangerous he must be.

Which would you prefer - as the little fellow made this statement, Myrddin issued a hearty laugh, as if Chester had just made some great joke. In fact, Myrddin believed he had. "Time is but a face on the water, and all of this has already happened, you and I have merely chosen to focus on this particular instant. You must then already know, that my preference is for you to simultaneously be mad and unmad (not dead or undead, like another famous cat). Talking about it will only force you to chose one"

Poignantly, the youngling then changed the subject. As he did so, Myrddin furrowed his brow, showing increasing worry on his aged features. "Do you say so? Then let it be so." How could the Knight be here? The Cat, maybe, but the Knight? Who was guarding the squares? And who could he be, in this land? "Perhaps he is looking for a re-match, after his rather paltry defeat by the White Knight?" Myrddin doubted very much that the Knight was in fact here. "You see clearly, don't you?"

Myr believed that in fact, this little wanderling was being taken advantage of. But the Cat was no fool - the Cat always seemed to know. Perhaps, as his question hinted at, being in Helovia had dulled his senses, somewhat.

[OOC: OMG I LOVE CHESTER!!! You play him so well !]

Unregistered

Chester

Of course the luridly colored creature knows that the Knight is not truly here. Yet calling the heart-marked stallion by the name amuses him, just as comparing this elder to the Jabberwocky amuses him. And isn’t an amusing thing to muse upon? Anyway, why should the creature not be the Knight? It is a meaningless form of entertainment, and filled with intent at the same time. A contradiction, just like the Schrodinger’s cat Myrddin mentioned. The other feline has always intrigued Chester, and the crescent smile flashes again, a lunatic moonlight.

“See clearly? That would mean I must see, and how can I do so when my insides and outsides don’t match?” Indeed, the Cat’s senses had been meddled with, dimmed and confined to a small range. It was a startling change compared to his former awareness, and were he the resentful type, he would resent the restrictions placed upon him in this land. Hatred has never been his way though, and so Chester views this as a learning experience, adjusting himself to this new world as best as he can. It is a challenge, one he dances around with delight, wearing at the edges until he can regain his abilities.

The enigmatic pony finds in this old unicorn a kindred soul of sorts, another being who revels in the twisted logic of Wonderland, and knows he will keep an eye (an odd expression, he thinks, for how can one possibly keep watch if an eye is resting on the one being watched?) on him when it comes time for their separation. How else are they to meet again? For Chester does plan on speaking with the clever stallion again after this time, and just wandering about hoping to encounter the aged beast just seems terribly impractical.

OOC: Why thank you! I admit, it can be rather tricky to get into his head, but once I do he practically writes himself.
Walking the walk
Talking the talk
Thinking my thoughts

Unregistered
(bump)