the Rift

the truth never set me free [closed]

Faelene Posts: 297
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16 :: 9 Buff: NOVICE
Sica
F a e l e n e
the truth never set me free so i did it myself

It had been awhile since she had seen Leander, and she was both eager and reluctant to see him. Could they be in each others company without arguing? A much clearer mind she hoped so. If they constantly bickered she couldn't imagine they could even remain civil acquaintances or friends.Friends. It would have been much easier to be that, than could be lovers. It would make something a lot less complicated, but why did her heart tell her if they were not it would be enemies they would find themselves. Must be her darkened thoughts, twisted view of the world for its misery. Faelene was determined. She was going to be on her best behavior, letting certain matters rest. She was far from perfect, and this could be a trial of her patience. Lucky today it was not thin from emotional and physical injury from battle. It had recovered, almost like the harmed flesh which was now healing scars instead of battered wounds.

If only, if only. She sadly thought. Nothing was easy, everything she had to fight, and scramble for, every little piece. A wary sigh fading from her nostrils, she tipped up her head, and threw herself into a brisk trot. She did not plan to see him at the arch again, but instead somewhere more closer to his home.

The Unicorns in the north she rather see him where prying eyes could not find. She did not want to think about what would happen if part of the outcast band saw them. It wasn't herself she worried about, it was Leander. If anything too many came to hasty conclusions, acting without question, and she would not jeopardize his safety. She could almost hear him question how she stayed with her kind. But it would be hell to live in the Throat. Maybe, now he realized they could not simply walk off in the sunset as mates. Everything this new story, with hope of a happy ending. Maybe.

Another heavy breath, she shook her skull, letting her red locks dance away from her eyes. Her sight would stretch across the same field where she had helped Snö. Where was she now? Faelene had not seen her since than, and it bothered her. Thais was dead, did she know?

Think happy thoughts, she prompted herself. Did they exist? She tried to conjure something, but was only greeted with the falling crunch of snow, the cold tug of her speed moving the air against her. A burn to her throat, she did not let herself dwindle until she saw the bare plains in the distance. This was as close as she dared go to the Throat, and she would let out a bold, higher toned neigh for the golden charger. Whether he or something else answered she would wait, on guard to see. She could be too far for him to hear, out of reach to his ears. A small piece of want was there, sure he would pass this way whether by land or air at some point.

Leander the LionHeart Posts: 184
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 8
Epona
L E A N D E R

The days had seemed to wind on since he'd last seen the red locked dame, though her face was a constant presence in his mind. Years could have gone by since they had last touched, with all that he had been through in the time. He'd brought more recruits into the Throat, met the Foothill's leaders Svetlana, and even taken in two orphaned foals. Little Nefertari and Amenhotep were in the safe borders of the Throat, but the new responsibility left a whole new set of worries on his shoulders. Even as the golden stallion rode the air currents above the meadow, gold eyes scanned the ground more quickly than usual, as he worked to make his patrol from his home quick.

If not for the distinct call rising up from the snow dusted earth, he probably wouldn't have spotted the ebony, garnet form in the field. For a moment, umber wings tilted and jerked, sending the palomino into a hesitant circle. It didn't take long for his ivory lined gaze to realize who had caught his attention. A deep, elated whinny passed his own maw as he shot down to land a short ways across the meadow from Faelene. As soon as feathered hooves met the earth, there was a cloud of white and the thrumming of hoof-beats. It fell behind him as he loped towards her, for a moment forgetting the burdens of their love, heart still as hopeful as it was the last time they'd met. "Faelene." Warm chords went to her, caramel eyes looking into her own silver pair. "I've missed you. Gently, his velvet muzzle stretched out to trace her cheek, hot breath falling against her face. He half expected her to pull away, but it seemed as though he was always going to be fearful of that. After her final desire for his company in the Arch, though, he didn't think her heart had closed to him yet. One could only hope.

Hidden Account
Sica
F a e l e n e

Through the veil of gray there was something, or better someone. Another call ringing from her throat she was eager to be answered, sure it was the palomino pegasus. It occurred to her there could be other golden stallions with wings, but yet to see another like Leander she was positive it was him. The thundering whinny given in return brought a more happy nicker to echo across the meadow. Charcoal irises targeted upon him, her dark pillars broke the powered snow to meet him. Ears cupping forward, she let her eyes hold his before looking upon more closer to his frame. There was no new wound to his caramel colored hide, and it eased her mind. Leaning her muzzle into his touch, making sure not to scrape his face with the tip of her horn she would sigh in relief. "I missed you too," she admitted. Though she was still trying to understand the feeling altogether. And more so what to do about it. That was why she was here now. Wanting to make sure he was okay, see what a step forward might look like.

Brushing soft muzzle along his neck, she retracted it to meet his white circle, golden eyes. "Lovely weather we are having, don't ya think?" She spoke with a happy ring to her alto voice, a tease to the notes as well. She wasn't sure if he was use to the snow, or what he thought about it. Being to the Throat once it appeared a warm place, not only did they contrast in species,color, but also where they called home. There was so many things she did not know about him, and perhaps that was what she was hoping to change today.

Hidden Account
Epona
L E A N D E R

A wave of relief washed over him as the dark object of his love came, seemingly eagerly, to meet him. It was the gladdest he'd ever seen Faelene, for all the other times they'd been together, they'd either been deep in discussion, argument, or battle. A smile pulled tightly at his features as he noticed her once fresh wounds were now healing well, not infected or ominous. They had both been messes after the battle in the Edge, both emotionally and physically, but it seemed the white of Frostfall had covered up that day.

Gold pools widened as she spoke. Suddenly he felt like a colt again, ready to jump for joy and announce to the world that the one he longed for might actually want him, too. If not for the wonderful touch of her lips on his neck, he might have galloped around the meadow just to let his happiness out into the day. Blissful, he pressed his face into her nape with closing lashes as she affectionately brushed him. Maybe their argument in the Arch could be forgotten. Perhaps the time to think about things had helped the crimson maned beauty realize how truly he cared for her, and what he would do to make sure she knew.

Like all good things, her touch ended, and Leander opened his eyes once again to look back at her. His own elated expression broadened as she spoke again, her sweet voice still void of the worry or irritation it frequently held while in his presence. "If you call blizzards and frost-bite lovely, then I'd say so." Playful tones left his own maw, muzzle reaching out to tug lightly and mirthfully on her silken tresses. The palomino then turned on his haunches, bounding away from the ebon mare in a giddy ruckus, kicking up tufts of snow as he went around her in a circle. Love certainly could make one act strangely. After tossing his head in a cocky manner, cream locks settled about his head and he came to a stop before her once more, his loving gaze falling back to her own eyes. "What would you say if I told you I'd adopted some foals?" The random question left his mouth in response to the girl's odd one, his words still holding traces of merriment. He wondered if the lovely Unicorn would think he was joking. Curious optics lingered on her, waiting to gauge whatever reaction would come.

Hidden Account
Sica
F a e l e n e

It was easy this time to bring a steady smile to his face. It was easy to let everything else fade in the background in a quiet existence, left undisturbed. Capturing his face with her charcoal eyes, she meant to hold onto it not to forget what it could look like. More peaceful, she would not take the moment for granted aware how easily anything could change or be ripped away. Faelene had no idea, still, how any of this was going to work when she felt she belonged in one place, yet with another.

"Well, I don't know about those, I just guessed it was at least warmer in the Throat," she said with a grin tying up her lips. Leander caught her by surprise though, making a catch for her red locks. She thought of pulling back, but merely shifted her weight onto her haunches. In his presence she was often worried about her horn, if afraid it would strike against her will. She laughed, a soft uplifting sound as he ran across the white terrain. She watched him, instead of joining, ot sure if he was trying to entice her in a game, or something else. Joy was something else she was limited to witnessing. He addressed her with a look after parading about, and she was about to inquire of his actions. What he said had her lips tightening to a close. Foals? The happiness to her own face faded into a still black mask. She assumed he was serious, because why would he joke about such things. It wasn't as if they had had a conversation that wasn't pretty serious. Blowing out a breath from her mouth, her ears turned back, and she glimpsed to a near by miniature hill. Slowly her lips parted, and she brought her head back to face the stallion. "Does that mean two or?" She struggled to find what was appropriate to say, her mind was picturing babies. She realized he had said the word adopted, that was the best she could come up to ask.

Hidden Account
Epona

LEANDER

your heart is the beacon, your heart is the storm

She spoke of the Throat, and it only made his happiness linger on. She did not speak of it in a cruel way, not like Ricochet or many of the other outsiders would. She thought of it's benefits, and that was enough to give him some hope. Maybe some day she really would want to leave the colds of the North and the companionship of Mauja, for him. "Frostfall is certainly much easier there. I don't know how you manage to survive so far North. This is the longest cold season I've seen." He spoke, forcing his face to be void of the turmoil it almost held at mention of her distant home. She was happy now, and he would not let himself spoil it.

Unfortunately, mention of the foals seemed to shock Faelene. The smile fell from her face, and again he had to fight from frowning, though the look of concern in his gold eyes was unmistakable. He had clearly said adopted, so she could not worry that he had been unfaithful to her, could she? He wondered if she would worry about his faithfulness at all, though she had reacted quite venomously when he'd told her of Melissa in the Arch. When she asked of the number he'd taken in, he let a small chuckle pass his throat. His voice was still not as exuberant as it was before, not while the garnet locked dove looked so stricken. "Only two, Faelene. I found them in the Threshold on my patrol, their parents had disappeared, and the children seem to think they were killed somehow. The filly, Nefertari, asked me to take her and her brother in as my own." His chords hung in the air as he looked out across the snow covered meadow, wistfully. "I didn't have the heart to tell her no. They are both safe in the Throat now. And I've been doing my best to learn how to be a father to them. He let his gaze rise back to Faelene's dark eyes, a soft smile on his maw, waiting to see what she'd say to all of this. He did not expect her to be mad, for he believed that she would have done the same thing. He was sure she had a strong maternal streak, even if it had never had the chance to be used. She was no weak mare, not with everything she'd been through in her life, or what little he knew of it. In the midst of his thoughts, he looked at her with an admiring expression. Out of all the mares in the world, it was her he wanted to be with. He'd given in to the realization that fate had decided it, and he'd either be chasing her around for the rest of his life, or standing by her side, if she would ever will it. "The foals are old enough to care for themselves pretty well. There is certainly no need for you to worry about them. I just wanted to tell you about them." He tried to reassure her, and paused before continuing. "Do you like foals, Faelene?" White tendrils of air left his mouth in a quiet sigh. There is so much that I don't know about you."

[ooc: I had to try out the lovely new table/manip imi made me <3]

Hidden Account
Sica
F a e l e n e

The summons to the Throat, how far it was. Then she had taken a chance to glance at the territory, feeling quite out of place among the rock formations, and sand. She could not picture living there any better now, sadly. Especially, not with that black pegasus with the spear. The twinge of her shoulder she pressed the thought away. She doubted to even be remembered, and rather not think of such things. Those things were not good to think about, she knew that. The deep melody of his voice did not have to work for her attention. Good, she thought, though Leander didn't look seem like the cold could get to him. He had went to the icy cave, where they had met after all. "I do alright. I don't stay there all the time, and I am use to the cold," she said easily letting her voice keep it's warmth. She couldn't say it was exactly colder where she had been from, but not much different.

The foals had her worried because what part of it was she to be? This was more of a tangled mess, but she felt no anger just another question to how things would be. She had no idea how these children were, and was a bit skeptical this wouldn't be something else shoving them apart. She could tell he was trying to read her expression, would he realize there was too much there to know the whole story? Drawing herself to take composure she was open minded and listened. There was need for explaination, but she felt a bit of guilt for not taking it more lightly. Leander surely had his reasons, when he further explained she saw why he had. It was strange. Was he father to them? Or just a guardian? He soon answered the question, and she swallowed back a stale breath. She supposed if she had found them she would have done something too. They had foals in the Steppe, and she could not imagine them orphans. She had been one herself, and the hope of a kind stranger meant the world to a lost child."That's sad, they were lucky you found them." Her tone dropped, losing the lift it had, and she met his lightened gaze. It was hard when he looked to her like that, if she could rise or lower his heart. Part of her thought that wasn't true, it seemed if she were unhappy wouldn't he be?

Knowledge of their age helped, but how big was his heart and theirs for a dark coated mare with red hair and a horn? Though, she wasn't sure what kind they were it was odd to have this family she could be a part of. A tip of her chin, a tuck of her ears she attempted to smile to ease his mind, sooth his worries. He was being honest with her, not trying to hide it...pretend it didn't exist. Yes, Leander was noble wanting to do the right thing. How did he know what that was all the time? His question, a soft laugh played from her throat. "I do not hate them, I am fond of young ones, I'm not sure the same can be said and that worries me." She was talking about his adopted ones, she had yet to met a child with an ill temper. They surely had to exist too. Taking a step, she wiggled her nose fondly against his in a side to side brushing motion. Facing him again, with a smile of strength she said,"There is so much I don't know about you. I am glad you told me. I just well, it's not something I expected and I wish I could help you. I don't know how."

it's very lovely.

Hidden Account
Epona

LEANDER

How many nights he'd awakened, thinking of his dark desire sitting in the freezing winds of the North. Wondering if she stood alone in the glass caves where they'd first met, or if she stayed with the warmth of her broken herd. She looked to Mauja with devotion still, that much was clear. It was all he could to keep from wondering whether that white beast ever touched her ebony hide.

Shaking the turbid thoughts from his mind, Leander kept the same enduring smile on his sooty lips. She was happy enough now, and that was all that mattered for the moment. "I am glad you have been well, Faelene. I have worried about you. This Frostfall is one of the worst I've ever seen." Concern traced his features, as it so often did when he professed such things to her. With some hesitance, he went on. "You know that you would always be welcome in the Throat, if you ever needed shelter. No one would harm you there. You would need only to let them know that you have been welcomed by me." His words were careful, but still rang with certainty. He knew no one in the Throat would harm her, even if she was recognized as an ex-Edge. There was really no telling what Kri would think of him welcoming Faelene into the herd. Still, he could not deny that if Faelene asked him to leave with her, he would be hard pressed not to. The loyalty he felt for both the Throat and Faelene held the same weight in his heart, though in very different ways.

She spoke of the foals, and he kept silent as she did. The mention of them seemed to have shaken the silver eyed mare. Fortunately she did not dislike young ones, as he was afraid of. Letting his visage warm again, the aureate stallion reassured her. "Little Nefertari, the filly, loves just about anyone. I think she is especially infatuated with Unicorns." He grinned, remembering how fond his adoptive daughter had seemed around Faelene's kind. "Her brother, Amenhotep, is a little more reserved. And stubborn, I might think. But he is a good boy; he cares for his sister very much. I know they both would like you, Faelene." Again, the confidence in his voice was clear. The foals were kind enough, and even if the colt was a bit of a silent type, they would need to like the mare who had his heart. Someday, he hoped they would meet her.

Again, the soft brush of her muzzle met his skin, sending tingles radiating across his golden hide. He reached out to trace his lips against her ruby mane, cherishing every second of closeness they had, as she moved to face him. The smile that laid on her face warmed him, more so than any look anyone else could give. "I will tell you anything you want to know, love." The fond title presented itself easily, as if it was something he was used to calling her. "The foals will be alright. They are not too much trouble for me, and they stay mostly in the Throat for now. I do not trust them out on their own much at times like these."

[ooc: Sorry for the delay! <3 My life has been crazy lately, but I haven't forgotten you!]

Hidden Account
Sica
<3 it's alright, no rush. I hope this isn't to rough and choppy. o.o I wanted to get it up.
F a e l e n e

Faelene had thought it would be hard to be happy with cloudy thoughts only tucked away. The red maned mare couldn't deny his sincere, patient heart and how it gave her strength. It only made her want to be that more cautious, that more careful. This wasn't game, and she would hate for anything to break that golden heart.

It shouldn't be a surprise he worried about her in the cold lands. It was something she wouldn't get use to, his compasion for her of all Unicorns. "Yes, it has not been the kindest, and why I venture from there now and again." This wouldn't make him any less worried if she was correct about his character, but what could she say? There were plenty of reasons she was there, and there was no reason to voice them again. There came a softened pained expression to his golden face, and a dark brow furrowed in question. With his deep voice came reason for his expression, again an invitation. This one did not seem as permanant, and it actually made her think about it. Before she would have swept it away, but truth be told she would like to see it. There was stillness to her facade, she tossed a few words round in her mind."It would be nice for some change, and to see the Dragon's Throat." Tensely she cleared her own throat, "I couldn't say when that will be." What she would be doing the rest of the season remained a guess, but trying to keep what bonds she had, and gain more. Faelene knew how much farther the Throat was from here. She would have to stay just to make the trip back. There would be no promise, but she hoped he understood she would try. After all she had came this far to see him, and was not toting a sharp tongue.

Talk of the foals continued, she could tell he was fond of them and she tried to hold onto the details he gave. A sister, and brother. By the mark of his tone, it was plain to see how much he wanted to ease that for her to, and make it alright. Something she loved and hated at the same time. It reminded her too much how they walked on eggshells with each other. How he seemed to want to keep the balance. It made her feel undeserving of such a sweet heart. "Sounds like you don't have too much to worry about. And sound like they won't stare funny at me," she let out a short chuckle, trying to picture what they looked like. She could only guess. Slowly her faint, silver irises lingered upon his, hoping he would see she would get use to the idea. Faelene actually adored children, but the memories tied with them were both beautiful and tragic.

The heat from his breath stroked against the black of her lips, and she let out a soft laugh at the strange sensation. This time she did not draw away, but closer. The warmth of his touch was what she had been craving, what she had missed even if hardly knowing it. She tucked herself to his side, letting him play with her blood red mane. And with her dark ears turned back she listened to his steady voice, and gently caressed his withers. There had been things she meant to ask, but her brain was a bit muddled being so close to his towering form, and the way that word slipped so easy from his tongue. "For now I happy to be with you." Slowly she went to say more but paused when he spoke again. Tracing circles on his golden pelt, she imagined plenty of things that would call for concern. What could she say to ease his mind? That task was hard, and she dropped her head slightly down, turning to see his face. "The weather is unpleasant, I don't see why they would want too travel far...I wish I could say there are no demons that could do them harm, but I think we both know better."

Hidden Account
Epona

LEANDER

Words of agreement met his comment on the severity of Frostfall, and silently the warrior wondered what he could do to make the season easier on her. He had no expectations of her cutting ties with her group, though he often hoped she might leave them for a home with him in the end. That unspoken desire always seemed to drive him, to keep him going; that maybe they would not always have to meet out in the wilderness as if they had some shameful love.

Gold eyes brightened gently as Faelene responded to his invitation, not spurning it as he feared. Cream strands flounced while he nodded in understanding. "You can come whenever you like. Just know that you will be welcome there, and that it would be a safe place to stay if you need one." Genuine tones left his maw, still somewhat hesitant - as if mentioning the Throat might still have the potential to upset things. Still, he held on to his hope that she truly would visit his home, and maybe even decide to stay. After pausing a moment to look across the white expanse of the meadow, bronze orbs fell back to her onyx face. It was so easy to forget the worry of what was to come when lost in the dark lines of her cheek.

The palomino quieted as she spoke of the children, only grinning at the idea of anyone staring strangely at such a beautiful sight. He knew the foals would take to her, if only she wanted to meet them someday. When times were better, they would see. It seemed like maybes punctuated all his thoughts, but again the sweet voice hit the air, and he was again contented just to be near the dark mare. The warmth of her touch fell into his side, and he could not fight the sigh of ecstasy that left his lips. His browned muzzle continued to stroke locks of garnet as she spoke, only stopping as words of demons hindered some of his ease. "It seems like peace is not going to come easily for us now." Apprehension laced the stallion's profile as he went on, sights moving once more to the uncertain landscape. "I fear that more bloodshed is on it's way. I would beg you to avoid any battles, but I know that would be of no use. If things do come to war, just remember that I love you. No matter what happens."

Hidden Account
Sica
If you want to continue or end let me know. :3

F a e l e n e

Faelene was not much for promises. She may commit to some things, but if it had a price she couldn't pay it was out of the question. Faelene meant to keep a promise, at least this once. I will see the Throat, she told herself even if it was just to uphold a promise. That was why she did not offer him anything else, she couldn't. Leander deserved so much more than her. He should have someone who did not hold a thought in the back of her mind. The dark maiden had set her mind one step at a time.

If..when she did venture to the Throat, by then maybe he would believe she wanted to see him as much as he did her. Maybe, she would leave more of her fear behind or it would entirely disperse. Curiously her ears would turn, careful in hanging on his words. Yes, he should be able to speak to someone who wouldn't snap, who wouldn't have him treading so delicately. "I promise you I will. I only sometimes wish I had your way of getting around." With a slim smile she brushed the edge of her lips to the tips of his russet feathers. By the soft sound fleeing his muzzle, she withdrew if only in a second to realize where it had came from. An airy laugh by more delight slipped from her lips into swirling wisps of faint silver. "You make it harder for me to want to leave,." she murmured.

Drawing her hindquarters around she altered to stand side by side with him. It was silent, and she could notice the brewing that would always exist and preferred to see his golden eyes. A sigh, so weary and used by this life left her. Again, they were faced with reality, what would always be. Worlds were never at peace with such hungry, black hearts. She remained close to him, her eyes the opposite to his golden watching him so close. "Yes, I am afraid so. Empty hearts can't be satisfied." Her dark mask was plain, her neck lowered, while she pressed her shoulder to his, leaning against his carved, golden form. Faelene found it hard to fight the urge to tell him not to fear, and yet to promise him she wouldn't enter battle again because her heart skipped a beat at I love you.. She knew so much better now. With a composed, thoughtful facade she gently touched his nose to bring his eyes to hers. "I will as long as you know not matter what happens I love you too."