the Rift

The death of a foal, the birth of a mare. [Open]

Stellaluna Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Stellaluna
From the deepest desires often come the deadliest hate.

The rusty coated unicorn wandered.

Her hooves dragged through the snow, the trail she had left was bold and obvious. Her sloped neck, usually held in a high, proud arch, hung low, her soft muzzle nearly touching the frozen ground. Exhausted and broken, both by physical and mental pain, had worn this bold mare down to a simple haunt that wound through the trees by pure instinct. Her stomach, once swollen with foal, had only recently regained her youthful slim physique. Her skin had begun to grow taut across her frame, adding to her haunting form. Her coat was caked with filth, dulled and lusterless. Her eyes were hazed, looking straight forward without seeing a thing.

Finally the mare came to a small brook, which hadn't halted for the bitter Frostfall that had plagued the lands this year. She dipped her head lower, as if it was possible, and her parched lips broke the finish of the water. She drew in small gulps, quenching her physical thirst. But the pain still ached deep in her heart. Deep in her mind, her unnamed colt flashed through her mind. She imagined him growing strong beside her. She imagined her deceased mate teaching their son the lessons of the world. But, alas, life was bitter like the world around her. A playful colt didn't cling to her side, and her heart was left empty with the murder of her lover. She managed to scrape the frost off of a spot on the bank of the brook, and picked at some brown grass. But try as she may, she couldn't fill the hunger she felt. She was alone, a broken creature in a seemingly empty world.

In her demented stupor, even the wind seemed to mock her. She had turned crazed, a wraith cursed upon the land. She hadn't seen another horse for miles. Lacking even the most basic of company, she had busied herself with thinking of all she had lost.

"Talk Talk Talk."

Talsia Posts: N/A
Unregistered
Red mane flapped wildly in the chilly, early winter winds, muscles rippled under a coat of deep chocolatey brown, reddish brown orbs searched the horizon, yellow specks in the iris crackled delightedly as the stallion ran, completely free, which was all he could hope for. The loner stallion had not run in ages, and this just made him feel wonderful, to be out and exercising to forget about his dark past, and his brother's even darker past. He hated the feeling of hate and bitterness that swelled up in him when he though of his past, and what lay in his future, which was perhaps complete nothingness, or so he thought. He believed he was destined to some dark future, as was his past, which he hated. He hated everything, it seemed. Hated his life, hated himself, hated his mother, hated the whole world, even the gods, for bestowing such horrible wheather upon them. Talsia was never going to trust anyone again, he thought. Up ahead he saw a mare, and he had not seen a horse in days, so he decided to take a chance and talk to her. He picked up the pace to catch up to her, though she was moving very slow. "Hello, miss." His strong voice boomed through Helovia's Threshold.

Unregistered
OOC:: well I guess since Thistle went inactive, this is still open. ::

Unregistered
OOC: No, that was a false alarm. I'm back now.

Unregistered

Stellaluna

Stellaluna's head snapped around, ears flattening to her skull. There, several paces away, stood a tall unicorn stallion. She snorted, happy the beast didn't have wings. She didn't have the energy to fight, let alone kill. She hoped this stallion would be a friend; she didn't have the strength for him to be a foe. Her ears perked a bit, a glint of light returning to her eyes. It was another creature. "Hello, sir," she called, her voice like bells. "What shall I call you?" her voice was firm and proper, light like a cool summer breeze. It was a diamond in the ruff, compared to her disheveled appearance.

She stepped from the shadow of the bank, into a ray of light. The natural sun dappled her already spotted coat, giving him a glimpse of her usual glory. "I am Stellaluna. I am a widow, an orphaned mother. There is no better term for a mother who has lost her foal." The tiny unmoving body flashed across her mind, stinging her heart like a burning metal rod.

Unregistered
Talsia pawed the earth nervously. He had not spoken to a horse in ages, and his social skills probably weren't the greatest, especially when being somewhere new was kind of traumatic, mostly for him, because of such a hard road he'd had. But as this mare said a bit about her past, he realized, there are other people that had it just as bad as he did, and definitely people who had it worse. Mortar, his life-long friend and half brother, had had it the worst, Talsia thought. "Pleased to meet you, Stellaluna. I'm sorry to here about your losses," he said quietly. "I am Talsia." He paused. Should he share the secret, his secret? About his family, his mother, his half brother? Stellaluna seemed to be a very nice mare, and Talsia figured he could trust her. "I just reached these lands, and I am here because..." His eyes took on a glassy, pained expression. He could hardly continue. "Because my mother sent someone to kill me. The murderer sicked his tiger companion on my half brother, thinking that Mortar was the one he was supposed to kill. The tiger fatally wounded my half brother. He's dead. I have a brother name Cascu-he's supposed to be here. Anyways, the tiger left me with this." Talsia showed Stellaluna the long, puckered pink scars that ran over the two red spades on his hindquarters and shoulder. "I ran away, to this place." Talsia looked into the mare's eyes. "Where am I, by the way?"

Unregistered

Stellaluna

"You cannot go through life without loss. It's a hard world, but the pain makes us stronger, less susceptable to pain." She shook her mate's smiling face from her vision. "But thank you, I appreciate your sentiment."

Stellaluna scraped a golden hoof over the ground at the comment about Talsia's mother. Why would a mother set a hit out for her son? Her golden eyes flashed with anger, her tail flicking like an annoyed cat. "The she does not deserve a son. Any mother like that does not deserve the joy a child brings. I pray she wasn't a unicorn; we've always been such regal creatures. But she seems lower than the worms that crawl in the ground beneath my hooves." As unfortunate the circumstances, the old Stella began crawling back. Her fiesty nature, her strength began trickling back to her. "I am sorry for your brother. I am sure he didn't deserve the fate that was cast upon him. But atleast you got away. I am sure you're safe now. I haven't seen any real threat of danger since I wandered into these woods. And I can't say I've seen Cascu. Hell, you're the first horse I've seen since I got here." A light laugh broke through her lips. "But, for your sake, I hope you find him soon. Perhaps we can wander together looking for him. I've been looking for a herd myself, perhaps he's clung to one already and is waiting for you to find him."

She looked around, stumped as well as he by their location. "I'm not sure where we are, Talsia. I've been wandering the same myself."

Unregistered
Talsia smiled at the beautiful mare. She reminded him of his mother. She had been so sweet and kind, and she loved both he and Cascu, although Cascu hardly remembered her, as she had died during his birth. Then Talsia's father had married that wretched rat that tried to kill him. Talsia knew that Deyanira was still alive, that miserable, wretched beast who had tried to kill him. Recently he learned her name meant "devastating, or capable of great destruction". Yes, that was her. Such and evil snake. Talsia did not want to think about his stupid stepmother any longer. He looked into Stellaluna's beautiful orbs. "Yes, she did not deserve to have one son, much less three. She was a pegasus. And I know she's still alive. Have you seen her? Deyanira?" Talsia looked hopeful for a few seconds; he could teach her a lesson. Then he remembered that she had not seen any other horses. His reddish brown eyes sweeped over the horizon, a little nervously. What if he found his stepmother? What could he say? Stellaluna was saying something. He smiled at her offer. "Yes it would be wonderful if we could wander, Stellaluna. I have been so dreadfully alone the past days. And it's okay, I'm sure we will figure out where we are, and find Cascu soon, if we ask the horses we pass. What about you? Have you family or friends here?"

Unregistered

Stellaluna

A pegasus.

"Those retched beasts," she spat, her eyes narrowing, "Their heads are full of nothing but clouds and feathers." Her fire was back, burning in her chest. "Their feathers should be stripped from their wings, forced to live on the land. Perhaps then they will come back to earth, and they would grow space in their skulls for brains." She clawed the ground with a cloven hoof.

She leapt upon a nearby rock, pointing her horns towards him. "I say this to you. We will travel, try to gather the remnants of your family. But, I have an agenda. To make pegasi pay for their crimes, to join a band with similar intentions. You are welcome to stand by my side, but I beg you do not get in my way. They have wronged us. And I pray we find your family, stitch together your tiny broken family." Her voice was strong, enticing. A smile danced upon her lips as she lifted her head, the breeze blowing at her creamy mane. She leapt into the woods, beginning to pick her way up though the trees. Looking back, she called out to him.

"So, my friend, are you coming?"

OOC::I'm going to have my title changed to "Outcast," so you can too, and where would you like them to emerge?:

Unregistered
OOC: I am just gonna make a thread in Thistle Meadow, is that okay with you, Noella? ^^