the Rift

She woke up in a town made of quicksand [OPEN/Grey?]

Phaedra the Opulent Posts: 343
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.3 :: 6 Buff: NOVICE
Stella :: Secretary Bird :: None Aud

Flying.

In the air was the one true place that Phaedra felt safe. Sure, there were fewer places to hide, but Phae had the advantage. She was fast. Maybe not the fastest, but all those who had tried to chase her in the past, had been left far behind.

The cold light of Frostfall clung to her sooty coat, as if trying to pull her back to the earth; back to where she could be caught. But oh no - that was not to happen. Not ever again. Her large tawny wings beat against the air currents, creating a feeling of weightlessness that Phae craved. As she glided, she noticed the landscape had gradually began to change to become more...lived in? Did that make sense? Slowly, as her nose began to pick up different scents, she realized it did. Horses, Unicorns, Pegasi... Horses and Unicorn's she didn't mind - they could not catch her in the clouds, and thus posed very little threat, so long as she kept her distance. Pegasi on the other hand...and females no less...Well, that was another matter. Female's were almost always trouble. They were conniving and manipulative...males were stupid but...Usually had a female with them.

Phae's stomach suddenly lurched in panic. She should turn around. It was not safe here...they would...they would find her, force her into a herd...capture her.

"No" She said firmly, her voice quickly dissipating on the breeze. "No, I won't let that happen"

HP: 45.5
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme

The call of the newcomers seeking asylum from winter's breath summoned the pale and crimson wraith from her shelter in the deep forest. A short journey north provided her with excellent time to explore her thoughts and smile upon the fact that her and her sister's vision had become a beautiful, open reality filled with so many eager faces and desire for companionship. She wondered how well her merry band of healers and knowledge seekers would blend with Ktulu's more dark and violent lot, but if they were willing to come together in the deep forest, then there was hope for all.

Tinek flew easily by her side, yawning a breath of frost every now and then. His visit with the more mature and rational Comadre had been a good influence upon her rowdy silver, calming his nature and gentling his spirit. Still, he enjoyed playing with Eytan, but in her presence, the silver's mind was calm and rational, a sanctuary for her own rather scattered thoughts and memories. Ophelia was surprised that she found comfort with so many as after speaking to the Foothills she realized that large crowds brought her heart beating faster and her throat dry with nervousness. Perhaps the difference was that she considered the Grey to be her friends, especially Tor.

A shadow crossed over their path, and Ophelia lifted her delicate face to look up at the sky, watching a winged one swoop overhead. She tilted her head curiously, two different colored eyes taking in as many details as possible before taking off after the shadow like an ice storm. Cloven hooves carried her easily over the winter's white landscape, and she let out a soft, chime-like cry to alert the flyer to her presence.

Tinek gained altitude to meet the pegasus before beginning a gentle spiral downward toward his bonded, hoping the frantic, deer-like creature would follow. The silver dragon did not understand the panic and folly of many of Ophelia's kind, as her mind was always so calm and nonreactive.

"Will you come down!" Ophelia called loudly, slowly her long-legged gallop to a gentle canter as Tinek descended.

COME TO ME
we run away forever from this misery

tangled-stock | Salsola stock

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!

Deceased

Yes. Coming here might certainly have been a bad idea.

Phae was only mildly aware of the frosty Unicorn, as she sauntered below. Even as she picked up speed, she was hardly a blip on the mare's radar. She was after all, bound to the ground. She was no threat, and from this height, of little importance. Even as her call wafted up through the currents, carried un-mingled on the chill air, Phae was uninterested. What was interesting, was the dragon who suddenly flew her way. Delighted, Phae pricked her ears forward watching the silver creature easily match her altitude, then swiftly descend. Her lithe form seemed to spring after him - Phae tucked her forelegs tightly to her chest as she matched the dragon's spiral, opening and slowly closing her wings to maintain the inertia which carried her in his wake. Her eyes teared as the chill air blew steadily into them as her speed increased. Ultimately, she would blame her teared-eyes as the reason why she did not make the connection sooner: the dragon was with the unicorn. All too late, now only about 15 feet from the ground, did Phaedra realize her mistake. The dragon had lured her here - and as if too prove it, the Unicorn was now telling her to land.

Phaedra layed her ears back, but not in anger, out of fear. Phaedra had never fought a day in her life - struggled sure, but she was too finely built to dissuade an attacker. Head low, in almost a canine act of submission, Phae landed gracefully, although she allowed her large wings to stay outstretched and poised to lift her from the ground, should that become necessary. Her deep green eyes studied the unicorn - her toned mane and tail, her odd eyes..she appeared younger, though at the same time, the way she held herself, made that hard to tell. Phaedra flicked her tail uncertainly, saying nothing. One ear flicked forward inquisitively, yet her stance still remained very tense, ready to flee at any moment.

Ascended Helovian

Ophelia stopped in her tracks, breath puffing from grey nostrils in clouds of white frost, and her two different colored eyes watched the mare with open warmth. Tinek, the silver dragon, landed atop her crown, curiously eyeing the winged mare as well, trilling happily. Absently, he wished his bond-mate could fly; he enjoyed sharing the skies with others. She watched the mare curiously as she landed, massive, mottled wings remaining outstretched in a defensive position, just like her backward turned ears. How could she blame the creature for being frightened? Ophelia knew her appearance was often unsettling. Her two colored eyes were odd to behold, one filled with ice and the other with bloody violence that still managed to carry a certain, compassionate softness. The fringes of her mane and tail looked as if she had painted them in another's blood, and for all she knew, her blood line did bathe in the blood if their victims. Perhaps through some, wicked necromancy, their coats were painted.

However, the pale mare had never killed and never been bathed in the blood of another; the coloration she held was carried on through blood - a trait of her father. She stood taller than the winged one too, much taller, though Ophelia did not mind. The mare was used to towering over her own gender, much like she was now. Her eyes keenly observed the darkened gold hue of her coat and the finely chiseled features of her face. White, circular spots dotted her sooty pelt like little snow flakes, and Phi decided immediately that she found them to be a lovely feature. This mare was beautiful, truly, but Ophelia was not envious. The winged one deserved her beauty and her unique qualities; they were a gift from nature.

"You are safe; I will not harm you," she said, her voice soft and gentle like chimes. A small smile curved her lips with a soft openness, and she shifted her weight on her cloven hooves. Though she held the appearance of a unicorn, she was a mixture of her equine and unicorn heritage, able to bond to a dragon and still possessing a horn. She was gifted and cursed with her heritage. "My name is Ophelia, and this is my dragon, Tinek," she said quietly. "Were you running from someone?" she asked curiously.

COME TO ME

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.

Deceased

As Tinek landed atop Ophelia's head, Phaedra noticeably relaxed. Often, dragon's were trustworthy, if for no other reason than they were selfish creatures. If this brother of the sky was at ease with the ground-dweller, then it gave Phae reason to believe that she was not in any immediate danger. She nickered quietly as Tinek trilled, and turned a watchful gaze back to Ophelia.

She listened quietly, smiling and murming, "Tinek.." as Ophelia named him, uninterested in the mare's name, for the time being. Phaedra was not well-versed in the breeding and bonding of others. Perhaps if she was, she might have noticed that Ophelia was not simply a unicorn but a hybrid. Even if she hadn't, the bonded dragon should have been evidence of that, were she aware of such things. Alas, Phaedra came from a sheltered world - she had much to learn here.

Were you running from someone?

Phaedra looked at the mare, torn between her flighty instincts, and her intuition that this mare might be worthy of trusting. She knew that she could not live alone forever - and maybe this mare would have something to offer? If nothing else, Phaedra could easily distance herself from Ophelia, by taking to the skies. Phae tucked her wings neatly to her sides, sheltering her flanks from the cold. Her ears had slowly come forward too, causing her to look at ease - almost.

"Always" Phaedra murmured in remarkable honesty, in response to Ophelia's question. Meeting her two-toned gaze, Phaedra nodded once in affirmation. She searched the mare's calm and peaceful gaze, uncertainly.

Ascended Helovian

When the mare said Tinek's name, he trilled again and leapt from Ophelia's head, leaping through the snow and standing on his hind legs, wings extended for balance. Curiously, he snorted a breath of frost, being a dragon of winter and not of fire - the first of his kind. Tinek was curious about this mare's sudden interest in himself, and as he naturally thought that he was a glorious creature, he enjoyed her attention. The pale and crimson mare could not help but smile, allowing her dragon his moment to bask in such attention. She knew that her bonded did not often get to explore his curious side as he made many others nervous.

Two toned eyes watched as the mare folded her wings to her side, sheltering her body from the winter wind. Ophelia felt the bitter chill of the wind palpably against her sides, rustling in her thick, pristinely white coat. The reply to her question was unexpected and rather... spunk, and Phi could not help but smile, gazing more warmly into the lilly-pad eyes of the flyer. She understood running. She understood running well. She spent most of her early years running from attackers, black, wraith-like demons, her own memories... The young mare was wise beyond her years, her mind a perfect encyclopedia of her past. She was blessed and cursed with an eidetic memory, and she possessed the ability to recall every experience in perfect, crystal detail.

"You should no longer have to run," Ophelia replied honestly. "I too fled from my homeland, but after a year or so of exploring, my sister and I have created our own band. We are called the Grey. My sister leads a band of fighters and warriors, and I lead knowledge seekers, healers and spies. Together, we protect each other." Ophelia relayed this information with a certain pride, knowing that the growing strength of their band was a beautiful thing in this uncertain times. The young, crimson and pale mare was unfazed by the violence of others, having an evolutionary defect causing her fight or flight instincts to be severely damaged. So, even as the other mare slowly returned to normalcy, Ophelia was in a state of perpetual calm, not adjusting her emotions to match those around her. "You are welcome to join, if you wish."

COME TO ME

Deceased

As Tinek leapt from Ophelia, Phae's wings immediately shot from her sides. Her fear did not lay with the dragon, but with the idea that perhaps he was moving from Ophelia, because she was preparing to attack. Her warm breath puffed from her nostrils in paltry comparison with the frost -breath which Tinek was emitting. Her curiosity quickly displaced her fear, and Phae's wing's dropped down to her sides, the tips of some of the feathers even falling into the snow, as her head dropped to Tinek's level, inspecting the dissipating frosty outburst.

No longer spooked, Phae raised her head, carefully listening to Ophelia's words. Her heart clenched uneasily as certain words repeated themselves in her mind. Sister...Phaedra longed for family. She had the naive belief that families always protected one another - were always ones who could be counted on. Together, we protect one another...welcome to join.. Was it really that easy? You could just...belong? Just like that? Surely not. Phaedra narrowed her gaze, once against scrutinizing Ophelia's calm and pleasant stare. Was this a trick? Why would they want Phaedra? What did she have to offer? Would there be some gruesome initiation?

Phaedra shook her head uncertainly. "I would have nothing to offer." She replied, almost sadly. She could fly. Quickly. That was all. She was no fighter - she could not protect anyone. She was no vixen either - for all of her potential beauty, she was neither suave nor enticing towards men. She could not heal, either. Perhaps...could they teach her? But what would the price be?

Ascended Helovian

The only movement from Ophelia was the gentle, continuing sway of her mane and tail as the fibers were rustled by the winter's wind. Tinek, however, let out a small growl when the mare started, hunkering down and whipping his tail in his own defense mechanism. When the mare calmed down, Tinek folded his wings back and huffed a little, crimson eyes watching her carefully. Flighty. Why were they so flighty? The dragon leaned up and touched noses with her soft muzzle before dropping back down into the snow and digging up the powder to the soft grass underneath.

Phi smiled patiently, listening to her words. "You can learn how to help, if you want," she replied with a soft chuckle. "We are not going to turn you away simply because you believe yourself useless." The white and crimson mare nodded once and Tinek bounded back up to sit atop her crown, and she began her journey south. "At the very least I can walk you south where the winter's chill is not quite as bitter."

[OOC: post biochem post is not pretty :/]

COME TO ME

Deceased

Phaedra snorted as the dragon's muzzle met hers. For a moment she wondered how exactly it came to be, that this dragon shared a bond with Ophelia. He certainly did not seem like a pet or a slave...Then again, Unicorn's were tricky. Still...maybe it was something the 'Grey' that Ophelia spoke of, could explain. Phae suddenly felt an overwhelming desire to have a companion, who could provide companionship, and aid in keeping her safe.

Smiling, for the first time in their encounter, Phaedra nodded her head, pulling her wings closer to her flanks. The chilling wind seemed to also be suggesting that she get a move on. She looked south, spinning on her haunches to follow Ophelia. Rather sheepishly she walked abreast the other mare, "I think I would like to learn...to help." A new feeling was beginning to take hold of the flighty mare - a sense of purpose. Maybe this...this Grey could give her a duty? A purpose? A reason to stop running away. She would prove it to them, one way or another, she would find some way to be of value.