night dweller [Open]

Cassiopeia Posts: 171
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 hands :: 8 years old
Phantom
[Image: cassln.png]

CASSIOPEIA

trust your heart if the seas catch fire

Moonlight embraced the astral dame like a kindred lover, gently kissing the star breather's peppered hide with silken lips. It washed over her like a cascade of molten silver, softly tracing her feminine contours with iridescent fingers. It practically dripped from the satin plumes of her wings as she sailed with ease through the chilly air, pale feathers whispering softly against the wind.

She was cloaked in a veil of mauve incandescence, a luminance which had emanated from the celestial bird who soared above her rather gracefully. Its light was hardly needed this night, for the moon shone bright in the vast vault of the midnight sky - a great, opulent disk strung from the stars. It provoked the sapphire waves to leap high above their watery encampment, roaring in their timeless voices as they crashed against the shore, then repeated the ageless ritual of ebb and flow all other again. Cassiopeia's hooves sunk modestly into the beach sand as she completed her descent, feathered wings furled neatly atop her back.

The night was her favorite time - understandable, if one were to consider her natural affinity to moonlight. She could almost feel the tendrils of illumine pervade her skin as she closed her eyes, saturating her with a new-found vitality; for she was the night-dweller: she who harnesses energy from the full moon, she who breathes life into the stars.

Columba alighted atop her withers, and cerulean eyes fluttered open. "Isn't it beautiful, my astral friend?" She questioned, craning her neck around to study her creation. "The moon shines bright for us this night." A smile spread across her lips, and the dame of stars and wind felt an ancient embodiment swell within her bosom. Instantly, the bird streaked into the darkened sky and absconded through the air, etching narrow pillars of light in its wake which quickly dissipated with a mere whisk of the breeze. She gazed upon the asterism with due admiration, a plan unfurling within the recesses her mind - she would soon possess the powers of healing, but there was something she must first do in order to gather the required elements.

The avian creature arced downward toward the beach sand, impacting the amber grains. It tucked in its wings and head, forming a sphere, and nestled down into the granular substance. A crackling dissonance could be made out above the sound of the tides, and after a few moments the bird dissipated into a opalescent mist, revealing a coruscant crater: a fixture capable of holding water. Cassiopeia began to dig carefully around it with her right hoof, the amulet around her neck glowing eerily in the moonlight.

image by manicmondays @ deviantart.com | table coded by imi

Bazilisk Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

B A Z I L I S K
slithering
creeping
hissing
a snake!
they say
no.
i'm a giant snake.

Generally, I'm not a very social person. Or horse. I'm a snake, and snakes are solitary creatures, especially when they're surrounding by little winged horses flying around, tempting my taste for bird-horse. Neither was I particularly kind to horses. They were small and unimpressive, yet I had chosen to join one of their little niralgas... herds, I mean. Pathetic. I knew I was pathetic. Exceedingly disastrous that I had decided to live with little bird-horses. Yes, I may have promised not to eat horse-meat, but they were flitting around me like squirrels around a wolf. Tasty and unattainable. As such, I tended to sleep during the day, curling around the bloody tree like a hydra, thousand-pound coils wrapped tightly around the creaking black tree as I slept and dreamt of the Deep Abyss.

In night, I hunted. I left the herdland to the Endless Blue or the Deep Forest, where my coils rasped softly across the snow, where I struck out and sank my long white fangs into the meat of a deer, tearing it apart voraciously and delighting in the blood dripping onto the snow. Bold, bold red against white, sating my hunger for meat, allowing myself to control my need to snap up horses and eat unicorns and crunch pegasus bones. It was so tempting... so incredibly tempting when they walked in front of me. I needed to hunt them. I wanted to, how I longed for hot blood on my scales and to be feared by all these idiots, even though I was a part of them. That's the snake talking in you. Pretend to be a horse. I allow myself a snort as my coils unwind around the bark of the tree, a reverbrating thud to be heard as my body drops onto the ground, tail-tip slipping around the trunk as I land on the snowy ground.

I can see very well in the dark, excellent in fact, and my body surges swiftly over the fields of uniform white, until I see one of the tempting pegasi around here. I can always pretend it was an intruder I had to eat. So I pick up speed, slow, and my venom green eyes watch the little bird-horse eagerly.

Then I lunge forward, teeth snapping.

Hidden Account
Phantom

CASSIOPEIA

Beneath the soft croon of the wind and the thunderous beckoning of the ocean, the tenuous ambiance of scales gliding across sand had been rendered virtually silent. Had it not been for the alerting emission of Columba, she may have never so much as seen her assailant before his fangs were wedged within her flesh, and by that time, it may have been too late.

But by some fluke, that would not be the case. The roan dame snapped her head upward abruptly, and without much hesitation her wings followed suit, unfurling reflexively atop the summit of her back. Muscles became tense, coercing the prow of her body to ascend and propel the mare's dark physique away from the path of the serpent's injurious clutches. Vivid blue eyes encased in white beheld the imperiling marauder with an ambiguous expression, and time seemed to decelerate, slinking by with stubborn remission.

Even as time itself seemed to delay, she could hardly collect her thoughts, and it took a moment for her to finally identify her aggressor: a snake, and a dauntingly massive one at that. What's worse, it had regrettably appraised her as a meal - this sort of thing was becoming routine, it seemed. The parlous clasp of his reptilian jowls warbled a devilish lament as the stiletto peaks of his teeth glistened balefully in the moonlight, and for a moment Cassiopeia felt her heart lurch down cowardly within her stomach.

His teeth clamped abortively on a cluster of pale feathers, and without much resistance they were plucked. The pain was hardly a concern as she gathered her feet beneath her, her brusque maneuver having knocked off her equilibrium. Her gaze never left the reptile, even as a cloud of sand partially sullied her view. Cassiopeia swiftly delved down within herself, summoning the only weapon she possessed to defend herself against such a foreboding opponent: her magic. From the deep, fathomless darkness of the sky there emerged a draconic creature, and at what seemed like that last possible moment he was above the basilisk, its nebulous scales radiating an ethereal light which glimmered redemptively upon the serpent's sable armor. It lashed out at it with lethal talons, and a plume of blue fire quivered from its jaw.

The star breather gathered her poise, her lungs heaving as she focused on funneling her energy into the celestial dragon before her. Moonlight seeped down within her skin, and she wielded the strength it imparted upon her with admirable proficiently. It had been a while since she'd had to use her powers in such a manner, but never before had she felt so thankful to have been endowed with such a wonderfully mind-boggling ability.

[ ooc ; The constellation she summoned is the dragon, Draco ]

Unregistered

B A Z I L I S K
slithering
creeping
hissing
a snake!
they say
no.
i'm a giant snake.

White teeth slip by black feathers, only catching a few measly pieces of fluff. I snort, back up, and sure enough, the thick scent of Dragon's Throat hangs around the sparkling mare who reminds me very strongly of an embodiment of the night itself. Coils reverse as I slip back a few feet, head high, eyes sharp. Damn this snow! It mixes bizarrely with the sand, leaving sharp grains accumulating between ridged black scales. A tongue flicks from my teeth to taste the air. Sure enough, it must be Dragon's Throat. I sigh, winding into a graceful loop, toxic eyes meeting the little lady's. I can see the heat in her, but I flick back to normal vision, instead of delicate heat sensors.

I am too stupid to look up as the celestial beast gathers before, a puny dragon, but one which breathes flames of blue. I am lucky enough to have a basically impenetrable hide, yet I am not impervious to discomfort, and the wash of flames are painfully hot on me, much hotter than I normally, if ever, feel. "I'm sorry! Please, pull the dragon off me!" I hiss, snapping my teeth at the little beast with annoyance, yet careful to avoid actually hitting the glittering magic. "Deepest apologies, miss. My tongue isn't working the way it should." A red sliver flicks into the night as I taste the air again.

Another horse I can't eat.

Hidden Account
Phantom

CASSIOPEIA

It would seem as though this creature was not a mindless predator but instead an intelligible beast; one whose reptilian tongue crafted vindication and emit an urgent plea. "Serpent, you speak." She stated, somewhat baffled. She did as he asked however and conducted the draconic asterism to cease its assault. Draco was no ordinary dragon. His celestial form reached an exceptional length, but even that was championed by the massive size of the basilisk before her. He hovered in the air not far from the dame, a subtle reminder to the serpent that this matron of stars and wind was no easy prey.

Soon enough, her initial shock subsided, and anger swiftly filled the void. "What did you mistake me for?" She asked flatly, watching the strange creature with a critical expression. He must've done this before - that is, preyed on equine. She thought dismally of the possible individuals who had been less fortunate than she. Were the serpent to attack once again, she would not refrain from bathing him a second time in the constellation's cosmic fire.

Unregistered

B A Z I L I S K
slithering
creeping
hissing
a snake!
they say
no.
i'm a giant snake.

I hiss very softly as the black mare gave me a critical, surprised eye. You speak. Well, no fucking shit. "Yes, I do speak. I'm not an illiterate, brainless predator that runs around killing anything that eats." My rich, heavy tones are filled with layers of sarcasm. I take another sharp look to the slippery little dragon at her side. Pathetic things, dragons. Fire-breathing idiots who are not nearly as large as me and think they can take me on. Even the dragons in the Deep Abyss were only about ten or twenty feet long, except for the rare one who slept away most of their old years. "Intruder of the Throat." I grunt in response to her idiotic question. Pathetic! These pegasi are pathetic! I really should get myself moving and thinking. Move out of this damned Helovia, to a place where I can feed on the blood of any prey I wish to eat.

However, her ability to control the constellations of the sky intrigued me. I was knowledgeable, not ignorant, and I knew the positionings of the stars very well. Maybe she would be able to help me a little, this chirping bird. "You animated the constellation Draco. How?" My heavy tenors are filled with careful neutrality, leaving out any pity for this being. Snakes did not feel pity for animals who eluded their prey. Certainly not a back-talking piece of prey who is still forbidden to my fangs.

Hidden Account
Phantom

CASSIOPEIA

Ears slouched back with incertitude as a sarcastic drawl fell from the reptile's lips, and the blue roan watched him cautiously. He claimed to have misjudged her as a trespasser of these borders, when the allegation of intrusion would seem more sanely directed toward himself. He was a serpent among ungulate beings, vastly out-numbered, and yet he claimed her to be the anomaly, the deviant. "You live here?" She asked, anticipating another saturnine recoil to spill from his lips. The answer to her question was a blatant one, yet still she awaited the beast's response. Could he possibly be a member of the herd?

A look of intrigue then sidled upon his reptilian features, and Cassiopeia found herself somewhat surprised by his inquiry. He knew the constellation by name, and her ears flicked forward. "Magic," she responded, then grew silent, wondering what he might have to interject, if anything. It was rare that the star breather encountered someone who knew her creations by name, and despite that fact he had deigned her as food, he did, oddly enough, interest her.

Unregistered

B A Z I L I S K
I do not desire to hear your words, nor you mine.

It seems we have reached an uneasy truce- for now. Whether or not she or I decides to keep it clearly depends on the words we speak and the tone we choose. Games and riddles- fair game. I narrow my eyes at her, eye-ridges falling down heavily over venomous green orbs, and my red tongues slips out to taste the air, before retreating into the expanses of my crimson-lined mouth. Somehow I doubt the little bird believes my words- her loss. "Yes, mistress who tells the stars to do her bidding." A lazy drawl slithers from my mouth again, but then again, I am large and she is small. I am predator and she is prey. By all means, she is inferior, yet I need to control my desires and realize where I live means different games to play and different prey to eat. "Believe it or not, I am supposedly your artisan, little bird." I glance at her, and move my eyes to the stars. Sure enough, Draco hangs above us, the constellation as well as animation.

"Magic is not definable by any standards. It is, in fact, the corbionifon of your mind unlocked to create your desires and create superior advantage over others. Magic is technically your willpower, and those who hold magic would have higher willpower than others. In correction to your statement, you would say 'the intriguing willpower of my apparently quite strong-willed mind'. Of course, few can still unlock this device, and fewer still can wield it or create more powers. Hence, the 'granting' of powers by your gods are merely to help you rediscover the parts of your brain that you were never aware of." I look down at Cassiopeia, amused. "It seems introductions are needed. I am Bazilisk." I hope she is a smart horse, as smart as they can get anyways, for I would enjoy speaking on this strange matters with an educated being.

Hidden Account
Phantom

CASSIOPEIA

An artisan, he said. How peculiar, thought the star breather. Cassiopeia couldn't decide if it was smart to have a serpent such as Bazilisk among your ranks or just foolish. Certainly it would be much wiser to have such a tactile predator on your own side than to face him as a foe, but from what she had seen thus far it would appear as though he proved a threat to the safety of the Dragon's Throat. Had he attempted to attack any others as he had her?

If so, had he succeeded?

She listened heedfully as he pondered the enigma of magic. Certainly it was a difficult thing to comprehend, and he made an interesting point. For a moment the matron peered up toward the heavens, her cerulean gaze roaming the scintillating masses of the stars and idly identifying each. It seems introductions are needed. I am Bazilisk. She exhaled softly. "You make an interesting point, Bazilisk." She averred calmly, her suave tone one lubricated in a thoughtful reflectiveness. "I've always thought of magic as existing only within your mind. It's a baffling concept, certainly." She then reverted her gaze back to the snake.

Reluctantly, she allowed Draco to flicker from existence, and in a film of iridescent dust he wafted through the air and upward, until the stars which constituted his being once again constellated the blackness of space. "I am Cassiopeia, Oracle of the Dragon's Throat."

Unregistered

B A Z I L I S K

Pleased to find an intelligent individual who is not only capable of conversation, but of proper talking, I smile, eyes taking on a warmer, kinder glow in the sparkle of night. Despite the fact my mouth is filled with terrifying fangs, and my eyes are a predators' eyes, it completely changes my hostile look.

"Magic is a strange occurence, certainly. Perhaps one day we will all understand it, but for now I think we will continue on with our discoveries of our own abilties." I agree with her, my voice quite a bit lighter and more carefree. It's quite amazing to see what a difference this makes on my dark form, illuminated only by the light of the white moon. I watch without comment as the star-glimmering Draco disappears, shimmering back into place among the stars where he belongs. "It's good to meet you, Cassiopeia. How long have you been Oracle for?"

Oracle. I think, think, that that is the name given to the horses and pegasi who read the future. Shamanism. "An Oracle is the Throat's form of a shaman, correct?" I query in quiet tones, the lust for horseflesh long flushed out of me by the meeting of this Cassiopeia. Interesting- I believe that Cassiopeia is a constellation of the sky as well.

Hidden Account
Phantom

CASSIOPEIA

What had only moments ago been a precarious truce, had since evolved into something more concrete. The basilisk softened his expression, even allowing a strange, reptilian smile to spread across his lips. A subtle tilt of her lips was all she offered, yet she too relented her tenseness. She cocked a single hoof up on its rim, resting the leg as she listened to the snake's next words. Magic was more than baffling. She doubted it could ever be fully understood, at least not by the finite minds of mortals such as these two.

"I was granted the rank of Oracle this previous Tallsun, though I have possessed the powers of foresight the majority of my life." She smiled then, the first semblance of such a cordial manifestation. "I was an Oracle in the land of my birth form the time I reached adulthood, but many years have since passed." She concluded her speech with a thoughtful exhale, feeling better now to have purged the information. The only other soul she had ever told such things was Azzuen. "And what of you - how long have you been Artisan?" She questioned kindly.

Another inquiry rang through the air, and she found herself pondering the answer. Shaman, she reiterated in her head, searching for the definition of such a word. Shamanism was more affiliated with the fields of alchemy and spirituality - or at least from what she could recall - whereas Oracularity was prophetic, centering around the divine. "Not quite." She began. "I am a steward of Helovian lore and history. I am also a prophet of sorts of the God of the Sun, and sometimes I am able to catch glimpses of the future in fires; when he wills it, that is." Was she actually beginning to enjoy his company? Yes, ironically enough, she was. "Onni, however, is a Shaman. She is our primary medic; wields powers of healing and such."

Leonine tail flicked thoughtfully behind her svelte physique, as she watched this snake curiously. An interesting individual, he certainly was. "Tell me, what does your rank entitle?"

Unregistered

B A Z I L I S K

I watch as she relaxes, and as she does, any remaining tension in my body is expelled, as my head lowers even further and my lids half-shut over my glowing green eyes. "I've been a crafter since I was young, and the equivalent of an artisan in my old home, but I've only been Artisan here for a week or so. I'm still quite fresh to it." 'Fresh' was my way of 'new', as they liked to say. I tilt my head a slight touch to the side as she seems to ponder my question. Her reply is satisfactory, giving me deeper insight into it. Who Onni is, I'm not sure. Perhaps I should get acquainted with more horses if they're like Cassiopeia, yet I find myself disliking the idea. Even in the Deep Abyss, I have never been one for company, preferring solitude, even if it means solitary confinement. Too much trouble comes out of friends and enemies and finding out what side you lie on.

"You do not seem to be one who likes to play with fire," I respond. The fact is, she doesn't. She seems to be a creature of the night, a follower of the Night Hunter Bijourn, not the Sun Goddess Hir-rin. "I... I build things. I am gifted with the ability to shape metal through fire, through the grace of Hir-rin and her counterpart the Sun God. Hir-rin is the Goddess of Fire in my native land. Bijourn, the Moon God. Dajul, the Storm Goddess. Li'ling the Earth God." I sigh, longing to be at home. This is your home now, Bazilisk. I tell myself, but I want my real name, not this petty fake one I wear now.