the Rift

Don't Fear The Dead, They Make The Best Friends [open]

Slaiter Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Slaiter

Black clad legs pranced through the forest, carrying the macabre beast along at a nice speed. He looked like some Halloween legend, buckskin pelt tinted gray-green like the rotting coats of the deceased. The ebon splotches that surrounded his equally dark eyes added to his eerie appearance. There were no bits falling off though, no lurching gait that was so common to zombie stories. Indeed, as frightening as the stag was, he was among the living. Few had ever bothered to get close enough to determine this however, or learned of his sweetly childish personality. No, they saw what they believed was an undead beast and ran. It left the poor buck lonely, and this was evident in the slight hang of his head, the way he looked about at every sound.

Then, a scent drifted to him, and he immediately perked up. Trot became more lively as he followed whatever smell had caught his attention. The carcass of a doe became visible, felled and eaten by some predator. Delight crossed Slaiter’s face as he stopped next to the frozen body, muzzle reaching down to skim the half decayed face of the deer. “Hello there! I’m Slaiter. What’s your name?” His deep voice was at odds with the friendly words of a child, the sound belonging to deep crypts rather than ringing out through the brightly lit forest. Head was tilted with a look of concentration, as if he were truly waiting for a response from the dead thing before him. “Mira? Well, it’s nice to meet you! Do you want to play?” Teeth clamped one of the small bones that had been scattered by whatever had fed upon his new friend, and he danced away with his prize. He broke into a canter, dodging an invisible pursuer in a game of tag. It was a shocking thing to do, but also oddly endearing, like watching a foal frolicking about.

Faelene Posts: 297
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16 :: 9 Buff: NOVICE
Sica
F a e l e n e
Who’s to know if your soul will fade at all? The one you sold to fool the world.

Her dark ears folded against her cranium, listening steadily to the subtle blow of the wind. They quickly would drift forward though, and she would break another drift of the frozen white snow. It was fairly quiet this afternoon, but light seeing as there were no snow clouds to block out the sun. A steady stride, she continued through what shelter the trees permitted. Her wounds were more healed, and she had a much easier time getting around. She still carried their marks, still thick skin upon her withers, down her right side. The mark in her shoulder was just an weird vertical, crooked line. The red maned carried them proudly, not in shame of the imperfections.

While she drifted along, her nostrils deciphered the different scents, but could yet detect a recent trail. There were tracks scattered around, but not a soul in sight. A straight face she did not give up, but stretched onward until she heard another pair of hooves crunching snow. Her charcoal irises looked through the branches of the sleeping trees, seeing what she thought was a sickly green beast. Intrigued rather then scared she made her way to follow. She was not sure who he was talking to, his voice was friendly but the deep tune of it was strange. Casting a look around, she cautiously drew closer, the smell of death greeting her nose. Surely this Slaiter was not dead, and she looked round for reasons, seeing then the remains of a deer. It was peculiar the way he spoke to the corpse. It would be one thing if he was casting a spell, or muttering a poor thing and moving no. He was talking to if as if it was living. Was his head screwed on right? Her mind struggled to find something logical, but he would ask the corpse to play before grabbing hold, and taking off like a youngster in a merry dance. Okay, then. She thought, watching the unicorn stallion with it's dead partner. Putting her thoughts aside, she brought herself into the clearing, letting out a nicker of greeting before he dashed away.

Unregistered

Slaiter
I'll murder half the town, and leave you lovenotes on their headstones

At the gentle sound he whirls, posture changing instantly. His playful attitude has vanished, replaced by an expression that mixes the look of a foal caught doing something wrong and that of a kicked pup. Head is held low, hooves shuffle back a few steps. Everything about the stallion speaks of uncertainty. Very gently he drops his ‘toy’, nosing it toward the crimson maned female. “I…I’m sorry, I didn’t mean any harm. I just wanted a friend. You can have it back.” Pleading eyes look to her, fearful of being driven away in disgust. Others had told him that the dead were not playmates, but they were so much nicer than the living. No one dead has ever attacked him, calling him a freak or a zombie or some equally cruel name.

Why had he come out into the brightness? Slaiter had become adept at lurking in the shadows, skulking around the edges of a land rather than risking meeting the locals. He had been so lonely though! No one had lost their life near the borders, and those who still functioned had hidden from him. But now there was a mare here, and she would probably chase him for no reason. Sidling steps began to slowly carry the childish stag away. “I’ll leave now, I promise, and you won’t have to see me again. Just don’t hurt me.” Afraid to turn and run, least she lunge after him, he continued his sideways retreat, optics glued to his potential pursuer.

OOC:
Walking the walk
Talking the talk
Thinking my thoughts

Hidden Account
Sica
F a e l e n e
Who’s to know if your soul will fade at all? The one you sold to fool the world.

There was no way of knowing what his reaction would be, she had never seen any thing remotely like his behavior. Just because she did not understand something, it did not mean she was going to damn it without further knowledge. He balked, dropping it, going as far to push it her way, her brows would rise in question. She said nothing, as he muttered an apology. Her ears yielded back, but only in confusion. What? She had not scolded him, she had given a call of hello. He must have been chewed out a bit for his behavior to appear so sullen. The look upon his face was anything, but demonic. Though she wasn't sure if this was some twisted charade. "Friend? What would you call a love if that's a friend?" she responded with a wondering stare. "You can keep it, I only meant to say hello," she tried to explain.

Faelene held her ground, much as she was pressed to draw closer to show him she really meant no harm. The stallion began to withdraw from her in an almost shy manner. What was he afraid of? Trying to brighten her own facade, she let her ears cup forward, a gentle soften to her dark mask that was often stoic, and still. "Hurt you? No, I would do you no harm as long you kept same promise to me," she said, with a wry grin to the tip of her lips. "You can stay, if my company bothers you I'll leave instead."

Unregistered

Slaiter

Retreating hooves stilled as she spoke. The ghoulish beast lost the look of fear, though wariness still radiated from him. Head tilted in confusion at her question of love. “Don’t know love.” Then his face brightened as some thought came to his mind. “Mum said she loved me,” he offered, obviously pleased at having a response. It was not what the femme had meant, but he had no way of knowing that, had never experienced kindness from any beings other than his dam. His inquisitive nature warred with caution as she softened her expression, bringing him forward again. Ears flickered at the promise of not being harmed should he not attack. An eager nod showed his assent, and he pranced in place a moment in excitement. He wasn’t being yelled at or driven off!

“You don’t have to go. I like you.” Again his words contrasted with his dark voice, the speech of colt ringing out in the tone of some evil god. Perhaps here it was more accurate, for Slaiter’s like could lead to some rather disturbing shows of affection. Like wearing her skin as a blanket should she die. Yet for now he remained cheerful and rather harmless, having decided that she too would be his friend. He began to caper around her, bucking and plunging in youthful exuberance. “Do you like to play? What’s your name? Do you live here?” Bombarding her with questions that he was certain she would answer, unlike the games he played with the corpses that had been his only companions for years. He picked up the deer bone again as he passed by it, effectively ending the stream of chatter. Black tipped audits remained turned to the dark fae as he waited for her replies.

Hidden Account
Sica
F a e l e n e

Words did the trick, keeping him here, though it was with uncertainty on both parts. Lips twisted further by an amused smile the way love brought a lighter expression, his mother was kind at least. Hmm, where was the cruelty from? His father, or just nameless faces? "Mums are good," she agreed, her red mane shifting across her face when she stretched he neck, daring to shift a little closer. His more energetic movement in truce she snapped her head upward, though her mask kept it's warmness. "Good deal," she confirmed, an ear cocked once to make sure there was no one sneaking upon them.

When he spoke again it was contradicting. His soul spoke of youth, while his body and voice did not. It was almost like she was conversing with a lost, wary child in an overgrown body. His tone should be foreboding to her, but instead it was compelling to listen to. "I can stay for now," she answered in a light tone. She eventually would have to return to the cold land, and wasn't sure if he would want to follow or not. Better if it was a good idea. He somewhat reminded her of Monster, but it was only a little.

The more excited he became, she kept a dark eye cast upon him. His actions were unpredictable, and she wouldn't want a reason to hurt him. "Play? Depends on the game," she said, her muscles taunt beneath her onyx coat. "I'm Faelene, what do I call you?" She would inquire back, giving a quick glance to the white snow before looking upon the tinted green buckskin. A short laugh would fall from her lips, and she would give a shake of her head. "No, I live farther away. What 'bout you?" It was a start, and she trotted forward in a confident matter, "You want to play keep away with that?" She said, stepping to his side, indicating the bone with a point of her muzzle.

Unregistered

Slaiter

The ivory remnant was transferred to the snow again so he could speak. “Slaiter’s my name. I don’t live anywhere.” He made another frolicking lap through the trees, seeming unconcerned about his lack of a home. Why should it bother him? After all, he could find new friends wherever he went. It was simple to sniff out carcasses, and his imagination did the rest. Though it was harder in the snow. He shot a frown at the cold fluff before her proposition of a game reached him. “Keep away is fun,” he said agreeably. “Or Kill. Do you know Kill?”

He was so sinister, but so innocent at the same time. A child who knew no better than to state his twisted mind. Tail swished like a cat’s, waiting for the right moment to pounce. “I could teach you, if you want. It’s easy, and if you win then your friends can’t run away.” A sweet smile crossed his face. To him, the fatal game was just that, a game. This was part of why he was so shunned, for it unnerved even the most stalwart of warriors to watch him murder with a serene expression, to watch as he spoke to the body of his victim and ripped a piece off to keep as a souvenir.

Attention riveted on Faelene, and he crept closer, seemingly fixated on her bright mane. Nose hovered above the strands as he inhaled, confusion evident. “Why doesn’t it smell like blood?” He had never encountered red markings, and of course that meant it had to be dyed with blood, didn’t it? Dancing back now. “You’re strange, Faelene.”

Hidden Account
Sica
F a e l e n e

Charcoal irises wanted to watch the bone drop, but held steady to his dark eyes instead. There was something she needed to watch out for. Name to mind, her ears turned back around, her chin lifting to watch him take off on another aimless run. Faelene would casually let her head lower, listening to his response. "Kill, I don't often play," she said, a colder tint to her tone. The expression to her face of ease remained.

A narrowed, studying stare she caught each movement from his green and dark suit. The way he seemed ready like a hunter to its prey. She had no mind to be prey, and was trying to decipher how innocent he really was. A twtich shot across her forehead to stop scrutinizing him so close, her curved brows rose above her eyes. Oh they seemed to ask. "You look like you could, but I could show you lively friends have their fun." A smile drawing up the side of her ink toned lips almost in match to his. If it were not for the dead deer incident she would be lost to what he was speaking, and quite worried. Even now she was probably dancing on a dangerous line. Something that scared, and held her.

The muscular beast drifted close again, it was with a steady visage she held still while he inspected her mane. He was puzzled by the red blood colored mane. "When I was born my mother was forced to bleed so it left me with a reminder." If he understood, she would watch and wait. An eased breath, she let out a laugh at his remark. "Would you like me to be plain?" The lady would ask, she preferred being strange to boring, or like everybody else. A prance forward, and a coy smirk she would ask, "You ready to play?"

Unregistered

Slaiter

A soft hum is his only response to her denial of Kill. He doesn’t particularly want to play that anyway. Kill is reserved for friends who don’t stay, who flee his macabre presence. Faelene stays, and so is safe for now. Why doesn’t she play often though? Is it because no one leaves her? Could she teach him how to keep them? He makes a mental note to ask her later, though he is likely to forget.

She is watching him, and he wonders why. Is she afraid of his game? “I won’t kill you,” he reassures, though his next words may ruin the intended effort. “Not unless you run.” There is fear-smell in the air, but he doesn’t know why. He isn’t scary. Is there something else frightening? He sniffs the breeze, but there is nothing that shouldn’t be there. His cranium is tilted quizzically for a moment, but soon discards such thoughts.

Fun with lively friends sparks interest, he has never played with someone alive before. She is smiling too, and he wants to learn her new games. Curious as to what they would be like. Could Mira play too? He glances fondly at the doe, already feeling a bond to the bloody animal. He will take her with when he leaves here, he decides. Then he can play with her whenever he wishes.

He does not understand the reference to her mother bleeding, and so offers no reply to the comment. Maybe she means her mum died? Maybe he could be friends with her too! Then he remembers Faelene said she lived farther away. Oh well. He has her and Mira for now. “No, don’t be plain. Strange is better.” A bob of his head punctuates his remark. Plain horses don’t like him. She advances and asks if he is ready to play, and he tosses his crown eagerly. “Yes, yes. Play.”

Hidden Account
Sica
sorry for the wait and lame post.
F a e l e n e

Afraid? Faelene was a bit worried what will happen if it comes time for them to part ways. For now the red maned mare was not. He seemed to catch the hint of that worry, assuring her he wasn't about to play that game with her. "I know," she answers, she wouldn't have been an easy victim any way. It's the running part, the hint of a threat she wanted to be ready for. If she brought him to the frosty land she would have to take responsibility for him, and Faelene wasn't sure how great an idea that would be. She had to know he wouldn't cause any Unicorn harm.

Focus back to the idea of a new game, it was easy to let the issue slide. She was hopeful it would solve itself. When his carved dark eyes upon the dead deer, she gave him a curious glance, before looking to the carcass. It was morbid that as a child that's all he had to play with, and that's all he thought he had. What a shame.

He doesn't understand her explanation, but a reply of silent was fine by her. An amused, lightly tuned laugh escapes her muzzle at his choice of words. "That's good, maybe you and I will get along then,"she offers with a coy grin. Who couldn't use another friend? Ready for the game, she slides closer to him. "Alright, keep away means you take this," she indicates the piece of bone with her muzzle, "Then you try not to let me catch you or I get it and you'll have to chase me."

Unregistered

Slaiter

This game, keep away she had called it, sounded a bit too much like being chased away for the odd stallion to be fully comfortable. What if she’s really mad at him and just pretending to be nice? Should he risk it? He is once again wary of the charcoal lady, but logic tells him that so far she has been nothing but kind to him. There have been no harsh words, no cruel bites or slashes from the sharp horn, no hooves kicking at his tender flanks. She reminds him of his mum in a way, and that is enough to soothe his caution. If she does decide to hurt him, he thinks he is fast enough to flee her ire, or if worst comes to worst, he could turn and fight.

Carefully, he takes the broken piece of skeleton in his mouth, watching Faelene as he does so. Teeth grasp the piece of his friend firmly, and he whirls away, charging through the snow at a gallop. Trees threaten to slam against him, branches reaching to snag in his thick mane, but he possesses an unusual grace as he plunges through the forest. Keeping his head low to avoid the bark-covered limbs, he weaves around the trunks as if he has done it his entire life. Then again, perhaps he has. A quick glance back is risked, checking for the position of Faelene. Is she following?

Hidden Account
Sica
F a e l e n e

He is hesitant, his darker eyes upon her, as if waiting for her to cut him a blow. Once he grabbed the slip of rib he was off through the white like a prey ready for the sprung trap. Yes, she can detect something on the wind. When she takes flight, he seemed the one leaving the taste of fear on her tongue. It was strange to be the one giving it instead of catching. What was he worried about now? This was a cruel game, and she was going to hurt him? Maybe, she was lucky for a chance to prove she would not, they had both made their promises on that. What better way to show the truth? Faelene wore a mask, it was not meant to deceive, it was meant to hide useless things.It was with careful, yet quick steps she plunged through the forest in chase, making sure not to snag herself on the trees may have liked to see the black wingless dove fall. With her eyes set in trail of his black tail, she gave chase.

Slaiter was pretty good about it, he must have been use to being chased, and Faelene wondered who had tormented him. When she was a young filly she had tried escaping, but it only took a couple runs to learn it was not worth the pain soon to be inflicted. With rolling puffs of silvery vapor pouring from her nostrils she fought the cold air, and weaved round in his trail. "You are very quick," she called out, her voice light with the compliment. She tried to breathe through her nose and out her mouth, then she pushed harsher against her haunches to help gain ground. It was easier since he was breaking trail, and some parts beneath the evergreen trees had little snow. She was almost to the side of him, and soon attempted to brush along his body in a gentle manner not to alarm him. "Ready to catch me? Or shall you want to follow me home?" She would ask, because she wasn't sure it would be great to leave him here all alone again. The stallion may want to stay, stay and finish the game continuing life as he had by himself.

Unregistered

Slaiter

Unable to speak with the rib in his mouth, Slaiter simply offers a smile at her praise. The dark girl is swift as well, soon drawing forward to run at his side. It is an unfamiliar sensation for the ghoul, to gallop with another, but he decides that he likes having her company. Better yet, she asks if he would like to go home with her. The stallion crow-hops in delight, and nods enthusiastically. If she lives there, it must be a good place, he rationalizes with the logic of a foal. Faelene is nice, therefore her home will be filled with nice horses. Not the truth, most likely, but in his immature mind he is already forming opinions and making up new friends, friends who are alive and will actually play with him.

(OOC: Sorry it's so short.)

Hidden Account
Sica
ooc:it's okay, sorry i'm slow. if you want to get his rank changed to outcast so he can post at the Steppe. Then he could probably try to get acquainted with the other outcasts, and you can always hit me up for a thread.

F a e l e n e

His answer is wordless, but certain and energetic. "Alright then, it's a long walk and we better go now." A nod of her head she indicates for him to follower her, and heads straight through the winding forest to start their journey to the frost land. What she would do with him there, she was letting her mind mull over. He would have to be taught at least not to harm Unicorns of the Steppe, and they in return hopefully would teach him they were allies at least. Surely the horn on his head would keep them in their good graces, and she would do her best to keep the peace. They had had one untamed best certainly another would not matter.

"Slaiter, I hope you like snow," she said with a wry grin, raising her legs high through the drifts. He probably liked the snow, to frolic and play in the white powder like a care free foal. She pondered if the sea would pose a thread to him, and her quiet gaze settled to the path ahead. He had made it this far, she assured himself. He knew how to survive.

[end]