the Rift

.b r o k e n. [OPEN!]

Svetlana Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

SVETLANA the STORMCHASER
It was a difficult storm to maneuver, tumultuous and dangerously quiet. I was stupid, full of energy, all too ready to take to the skies, ready to be filled with heart-stopping, wondrous adrenaline. The rush of insane power tingling your skin as your wings pump the air, the quiet rustle of feathers aligning themselves to help you soar, help you glide upwards into the belly of the thick clouds. The storm was so tempting, and it was my namesake- Svetlana the Stormchaser. Not blue-sky-chaser. It was a massive beast, a prowling black clouds filling the horizon ominously fast, curling tendrils expanding to encompass the edge of the world, flashes of light breaking its ebony-gray belly, the crack of the lightning whipping through the air to touch the earth below. I was flying high, extraordinarily high, hovering what seemed like in space, wings churning to keep me aloft, so high I could see the world bending, watch as the storms completely filled this thin skein separating earth from the heavens. I could see the trees, the deep forest, a shadow-infested land to the west, the ocean lapping at the shores of Helovia, and I took a breath. Air was incredibly thin up here, lacking in oxygen even for my enormous lungs, yet somehow I managed to breathe, to sustain my energy store as the storm prowled closer, ready to swallow me like a cat eating the mouse, the wolf snapping up the foal. Yet I began flying, using my primaries and secondaries with ease, spiraling and hoop-tailing and loop-de-looping towards the storm, completely at ease with this beast before me. Svetlana the Stormchaser.

Then, the storm's massive hands took me inside it's heart. Rain. It lashed my skin, soaked me through to my ivory bones, glistening in dewy droplets on my wings. The rain itself was warm, although I knew as soon as I left the storm my wings and my body would quickly become encompassed by ice, leaving me to slowly circle downwards, careful not to snap myself in two. It was glorious, the massive rumble around me, surrounding me, blocking out all of my senses, rumbling in my honeycomb bones, making me tremble like the bird caught in the fox's mouth. Not out of fear- out of pure excitement, pure need to fly and live on the adrenaline. Adrenaline junkie. I flipped and spun and winged higher, played in my playground, dropping down the slides called downdrafts and climbing the ladders called thermals. Beautiful. It was fun, so much fun! Until I realized just how dangerous the game had gotten.

Lightning. It flickered its tongue, snapping me up, the cat tired of my treacherous games with it. Yellow. The smell of burning flesh. And I was dropping, dropping downwards, wings aching, plummeting out of control in a much more dangerous game. Death. Why was I dying so early? I wanted to cry and laugh as I was swept downwards, the earth coming up much too quickly, delirious and in pain.

I've never heard a sound worse than the crunch of delicate bones and the last roar of thunder as the storm spit me out from its teeth. Neither would I ever forget that dreadful snap, the split of honey-comb bones, the red pain that flashed before my eyes as I was tumbling out of the sky, an apple dropping from a tree. I had broken through a thin layer of trees, wing askew, dropped into a snowbank and leaving a thirty-foot trench in my wake.

Was I alive, or dead? Everything seemed to be going quite dark...

do you really understand where you're going with me?
let me tell you
you just have to trust me

Lace the Silverthorn Posts: 459
Deceased atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 hh :: 14 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Fajira :: Plain White Dragon :: Fire Breath Chan

"Hey, don't faint! Whatever you do, try to stay awake." The voice seemed to stem from the very forest itself, echoing from within the shadows. It was somewhat distant, faint compared to the sound of wind and rain - a chilling, blood clotting cold rain that held more snow and ice than water, chilly enough to drag someone away from health and life if one weren't careful.

The voice did have an owner, but it was not entirely clear who it belonged to. Was it the small dragon that came darting from the forest, fast on leathery wings that were so much smaller than those of the fallen angel. White like snow, as pale in color as the Stormchaser herself, but lacking the vivid darkness of the feathers and the daredevil recklessness that brought mares into the clouds during a storm. The dragon landed by the side of the pegasus, a scaled nose reaching out to nuzzle the neck of the lady while a cacophony of concerned trills resounded through the air. It was a bright voice, like silver and light, like a pale sunlight causing the snow to glitter a cold winter morning. It was pretty, but not the voice that had called out.

A sound of hooves and parting branches preceded the arrival of the owner. He had tried to hurry, but no matter how fast the stallion was he had no way of keeping up with his winged companion, who kept on urging him forward from her side by the mare.
"I know, I'm coming" Lace muttered under his breath, hurriedly clearing away from barren bushes and slippery rocks beneath a layer of snow before he could approach the fallen pegasus. A concerned frown wrinkled the skin around the gilded eyes as he took in the sight; the broken branches of the trees, the deep trench where she had skidded through the snow, the odd angle of one of the lilac wings. Not good.

Asking if she was alright would be silly and stupid. Obviously she wasn't alright. He had seen her fall through the eyes of the dragon, an impact from a height like that wouldn't leave anyone without injury. The question was, did she have any injuries worse than the wing?
"Take it easy, I'm a friend" he murmured and reached down to press a warm nose against her pale neck, wanting to make sure she wouldn't begin to panic and worsen any serious injuries. "I'm Lace from the Edge, I saw you fall. Are you hurt anywhere beside the wing? Can you speak?"

If only he knew how to heal. But that path had never been his to travel, and for the first time the stallion felt regret over that.

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com
♦ Permission granted to use magic and violence on Lace and Fajira
♦ Only tag in new threads, spars and if it's urgent
The Store | The Warden

Unregistered

SVETLANA the STORMCHASER
"You know, youngling, one day if you keep chasing storms the way you do something will happen."

"Papa, I would never hurt myself."

"You'd be surprised. Children always think they are invincible, but real life is very different Svetlana."

"Papa..."

"I'm serious Svetlana. Take care of yourself, for one day things may change and you will be much worse off than you ever realized."

"Papa, can we go practice our flying?"

"We won't go anywhere- you'll take off from here."

"But Papa! It's so hard to take off straight up."

"In battle sweetheart, the enemy's going to use that to his advantage if you are unable to do such a thing."

"Hmm."

Everything rippled, retreating from my mind, and I watched in the darkness as the images receded, black painting over one of the few memories of my father I had. Panic. No, no, I don't want him to leave, where's Dad going, where's he going, he's going to die, red, red, everything's so red- DAD! No, he can't die, it isn't fair, you can't bring him back sliced up, it's not fair, what happened to him, he's my dad, he's MINE, nobody can take him away. HE PROMISED TO COME BACK!

"No honey, he's not coming back."

"Yes, he is!"

"No, he's not. He's dead and gone."

"He promised!"

"HE'S DEAD! Get out. Just get the fuck out. I'm sick of you, sick of you crying over him, sick you asking me when he'll be back! He's dead Svetlana, don't you understand?!"
The images are overcoming me again, and panic seizes me as I see the gory body, his ribs, his bones, everything so red... and my mother, yelling at me, her eyes savage, kicking me, hurting me... waking up.

"Don't faint! Whatever you do, don't faint!"

I inhale, pain clubbing at me, breaking through the barrier I had receded to in my mind. My wing... my poor wing. I can't really do anything but breathe, try to calm the paralyzing fear and pain overcoming me. Something hard was nudging me. I managed to open an eye a bit, but everything was too white and blurry, too hard on my vision. The black eye closed, the house pulling the shutters down. Instead, I focused on the bright points of red-hot pain coursing through my body. Wing. Definitely not straight anymore. Fuck. Crumpled, broken. As for my other wing, it seemed okay, certainly sore. My whole body seemed to be tingling, filled with electricity from the lightning that had snapped through my veins. Vaguely I hear someone talking. Something about a friend. Pain.

"I can speak." My voice is rusted and hoarse. Was I... crying? As much as a horse can cry. God. My parents... dad. Mom. Fuck. "It's fucking cold out here." I mutter, carefully easing over onto my other side, as to avoid lying on my damaged wing. "Wing's not right. Fuck it all. Sore... maybe leg broken. Sorry. Svetlana." Still my words are hoarse and sad. I can't believe myself.

let me tell you

Good, she was conscious. And apparently well enough to be in a bad temper, but he supposes she had good enough reason. Lace suppressed a desire to wince in sympathy as she mentioned the broken bones, his own leg echoing the pain she must be feeling. No, feeling doubly so, because he had no idea what it was like to have a broken wing. It must be broken, with the way it had been treated. His gut churned as the eyes moved to the appendage, seeing the ruffled feathers and the awkward angle of the bones. How in Father Earth's name was she going to make it to a healer?

"No need to apologize, Svetlana. Rather, I'm sorry I can't be of much help... Healing has never been one of my gifts. I think... maybe we can do something about the cold though, at least." He raised the head and looked around, noticing a fallen tree not far from where the lady was lying. A thought to Fajira made the dragon skip away from the mare and take to the sky, wings bringing her over to the log. A deep breath was taken, then a roaring jet-stream of fire escaped her maw, thawing the snow and ice from the wood and setting it ablaze. The heat from the dragons fire was stronger than anything else, and should be enough to warm a body even from a distance. And if this wasn't enough...

"Can you stand?" the stallion asked and returned his attention to the Stormchaser. "It'd be good if you could, the snow will such the warmth right out of your body. I'll help you.." Maybe he was being pushy, but he'd rather be accused for that then hear that he didn't try to help someone who needed it. At any rate she would have to get up sooner or later. The closest healer were probably in the Foothills, and it was a rather long and arduous walk to get there, especially with injuries. Even if he sent Fajira ahead to request someone to meet them, it would take at least a couple of hours, maybe even longer before anyone found them. The situation was worrisome, and Lace felt rather poorly equipped to handle it.

The Store | The Warden

Unregistered

SVETLANA the STORMCHASER
I appreciated the stallion's kindness, and his dragon's too. I muttered softly to myself, ignoring the blistering pain in my bones, carefully looking over the damage on my wings. I wasn't exactly ignoring the kind stallion, I simply wanted to see the injuries for myself. Surprisingly enough, there was little blood, if any- perhaps a few red droplets from my wings where a branch must've cut right through the edge of the muscle and sinew knitted together. Primaries were messy, secondaries somewhat straight still, ruffled and matted certainly, but straight enough. As for the right wing, it was... not right. No bone was showing though. None at all. Instead, the wing just seemed broken... knocked away. Leg. Right. Check the leg. I glanced at it, and then double-checked. It was swollen, incredibly swollen, thousands of scrapes trickling red into the white. Broken? No... just badly damaged. Fuck it all.

I turned my head to watch in fascination as the jewel-scaled dragoness fluttered over to a dampened log, a jet of red-hot flames leaving the small mouth. Fire. Red licked up at the sky, the belly of the sky swollen with frozen slush falling down in thick sheets, relentless. "Thank you. Really, I'm sorry for my bad temper." I apologized, feeling guilty for my tongue. But Lace was right- I needed to get off the soggy snowy ground. My right wing I carefully closed to side, very slowly, wincing as it stung, and swung up onto my feet. Immediately, my foreleg almost gave out, and I stumbled into Lace, mumbling an apology. Red was tainting my vision, or was it just the fire? I moved slowly forward, cautious, stopping near the warmth of the flames.

let me tell you

As she stumbled he was there, sturdy shoulder offering support as the mare slowly made her way over to the warming fire. He tried to hide his concern behind a mask of calm, but it was hard. Her leg didn't look good, swollen and probably bruised. If it wasn't broken it was a miracle and a good thing, but it still wouldn't handle walking for a while. And the wing... If she ever wanted to fly again, they had to find a healer to look at it. He had been healed by a pegasus mare from the Throat, and his first thought was to try and locate the gentle, painted girl with the kind voice and sky-blue eyes. But the Throat was too far away, many days travel. No, the Foothills would be better. Maybe they would be able to make it there, if she was allowed to rest for a bit first.

"Don't worry about it" he tried to soothe, with a quiet smile tugging at the lips. "Believe it or not, I know where you're coming from. I broke my leg not long ago - the only reason I'm here, alive and kicking right now is because I had the fortune to receive the blessing of a healers gift. A bit of temper is understandable."

He blinked away the wet snow that flitted into his eyes and gazed around the area, trying to find something that might be of use to them. At the back of the mind he made a mental note to ask Tor to teach him some first aid techniques when he met the wandering healer again, quietly cursing himself for knowing so little.

"Svetlana... I think I've heard your name somewhere, but I can't quite remember where" he said, gentle voice striving to fill the silence as he tried to decide what to do next. "Have you been involved with something people would talk about recently?" He had decidedly never seen the mare before - regrettably, since she was quite a looker - and rarely payed any heed to the gossip that passed between the members of the herd. As long as it didn't concern the herd, himself or any potential threats, he preferred not to know about who did what to whom and when.

The Store | The Warden

Unregistered

SVETLANA the STORMCHASER
I wasn't completely sure if I was insulted or relieved when he smiled gently at me, his words a cooling balm on my feverish mind. No, I decided, I was just delirious and not taking everything in right. I glanced downwards at his dark leg, and I could see no scar, no trace of a former injury of a broken leg. Incredible. Soon, my thoughts were whisked away by joy of the warmth on my skin, driving away the wet cold of the damp snow falling thickly from the sky as the temperature dropped, nearing nightfall. Not good. "Healers are strange creatures, no matter how kind they may be." Is what I say, a delayed response many seconds later to Lace. It's rather irrelevant, but upon saying it, I immediately feel as if it does make sense. They're bizarre, and woven deep into plant lore, and it's weird! Whoa girl, slow down. A voice tells me in the back of my head, and I sigh deeply, struggling to remain upright and ignore the pain. Definitely delirious.

As for if people have been talking about me, well, I was just recently elected. "I wouldn't exactly be surprised if people have been talking about me. I was elected into the Foothills' Triumvirate not too long ago." I say, simple words spoken without vanity. I puff out my cheeks a bit, thinking. "I don't suppose we'll be able to find a healer walking around. I guess we should begin walking." I added a silent soon in my head, but I enjoyed talking to Lace.

let me tell you

He chuckled quietly, all too inclined to agree with the statement. Most healers he had met had been soft-spoken, aloof stallions or mares who seemed to be partially somewhere else at most times. Many of them avoided combat - he remembered how Tor had turned and fled when faced by wolves, even though himself and another had been there to stave off the danger.
"They are definitely a type of their own" the stallion said, eyes moving to watch the white dragon as she came gliding down and landed on his back, warbling softly at the injured four-legs.

"You're a leader then" he said as she told him about her recent rise in rank, surprised that he'd heard so little about such an event. "I haven't heard much from the Foothills since the invasion. Is Paladin ruling still, what's become of him and Soleil?" It was far too long since he had met them, not since the beginning of Orangemoon just after he arrived to Helovia. So much had happened since then, even though it was only slightly more than a season ago. Maybe he should go to visit them when he'd helped Svetlana back home.

He smiled at the thought, and threw a glance at the mare by his side to hear what she said. What he saw however quickly caused the smile to dissipate, replaced by concern. He turned the head and reached to brush the nose over her white cheek, checking the temperature of the skin. Wasn't she feeling a bit warm? That meant she was growing a fever, a reaction not uncommon in wounded. It could be from shock or infection, disturbances in the body's rhythm - Lace had seen the phenomenon before after battle, experienced it himself even, but didn't know what was causing it.

"I think we should wait a bit longer" he said, unable to hide the worry he felt. It would get colder as night fell, it would be dark. There were predators lurking, and the lady was too injured to put up a good fight. And with a fever on top of it... "You think you can hang on until dawn? I can make a shelter to get out of the snow, and.. maybe try to find some herbs for the pain..." The last came out a bit hesitant. There was a good big risk that he'd actually poison her instead, seeing as he had no idea what the healers used. Some kind of bark he remembered chewing, and a mixture of herbs with fresh, snowy scent to it.... It was unlikely to think that he'd be able to find any of those here though.

The Store | The Warden

Unregistered

SVETLANA the STORMCHASER
I watched in fascination as the white dragon fluttered to Lace's shoulder, alighting softly upon his back with gentleness despite those sparkling diamond claws. As for where my allegiances lie, I am not sure, although I and the other leaders intend to send diplomats to reassure the other herds of our peace. Paladin had left after the election, as well as Soleil, and I did not know where they had went, nor if they fared well or poorly. "Paladin and Soleil left shortly after the election, replaced by Archibald the Dauntless and Evers the Able. I am sorry to say I do not know how they fare, nor where they are, but I can reassure you that the Triumvirate intends to send diplomats regarding our mutual allegiance to each of the herdlands." Another job that needed to be done. Technically, Evers was in charge of him, but perhaps I would ask him if he himself would like to travel to the herds. No- that would be insulting. My senses dulled to the pain, the world seemed drowned out by the crackle of the flames, yet the sensation of a muzzle brushing my cheek brought me immediately to the present.

"Yes?" I mumble, half-listening as he speaks. "I suppose we could stay for the night. I'm sure by tomorrow I will be fixed up by Poppy, although I'm not exactly sure where that lady's gone to." I trust him enough that he will stay with me. Not everyone would come to the aid of a horse simply to leave them. "Thank you for helping me."

let me tell you