the Rift

Neither Here Nor There [Open]

Murdock Posts: 198
Outcast atk: 9 | def: 10.5 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.2hh :: 8 HP: 61.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Gaz

M U R D O C K
If I go crazy then will you still call me Superman?

The world was suspended in an eerie silence, as if it had held its breath with the coming of winter, and did not dare breathe again until spring relieved it of the ice and snow. Murdock looked down at the frozen world, stark moonlight assaulting him from the clear sky above. His wings rode the thermals with ease, feathers spread to catch the rising columns of warmth and climb higher. Below, the world had seemed to come to a sudden stop, and everything around him had frozen in place. Held in an unfaltering grip by the ice, the very earth seemed to sleep.

He had taken off from the southern beaches of his homeland into the radiance of a mid-winter sun, but like a candle flame, the sun had been snuffed out by gentle winds and the moon now loomed high overhead. The sub-zero atmosphere had laced his feathers with a net of glistening frost, and suddenly his wings felt too heavy to keep him airborne. Changing course, he banked right and circled a small clearing in the forest, the canopy parting just enough for him to descend into. He touched down lightly, teal hooves sinking softly into the gentle arch of a snow drift. Elegantly stepping from the knee-deep drift, he folded frosted wings to his sides.

The thicket of darkness he had found himself within was broken only by a weak shaft of grey light, and the shadows wrapped about him in a gentle embrace. The monolithic, white-faced moon watched him from above, as he carried on into the heart of the forest. Like a machine, he pushed on through the knee-deep snow. The gears of his mind turned as he gazed about, wondering at this labyrinth in which he had found himself. The trees seemed to cage him in, standing tall and dark and silent above him. It was an echo of his past life that kept coming back to haunt him. A gust of wind caressed his wings, rustling the trees and stirring the snow in the hushed soliloquy of winter.

Ducking his head beneath the finger-like branches that grabbed at his hide, Murdock made his way towards the gentle whispering of water. At the base of a gently sloping hill lay a stream, and he slid down the icy bank towards its frosted edge. The mirror-glass surface of the ice that had all but cased in the frigid liquid sent back a hollow gleam of light to a satiny sky, and he pushed his lips into the water with grim satisfaction.

He noted the tall drifts of snow that closed in about him; snow that insulated the shadows of the winter night and hindered the swiftness of travel. Lifting his head from the icy drink, he stepped across the shallows, and continued into the depths of the threshold. Each break in the canopy exposed iridescent markings to the painted kiss of the moonlight, his markings shining like constellations upon his night-sky pelt. Before him, the bush stood trembling on the verge of colour as the thick hoar-frost threatened to swallow up what wilted leaves remained upon the withered stalks, and mask the lively colours behind a gentle façade of white.

The resonant voice of winter accompanied him as he hummed a pensive tune, the song of the wind orchestrating a simple song that kept the shadows of fear at bay. Quickening his pace, he made his way into a thinned clearing of trees. Gnarled branches reached down to grab at his mane, and as one struck him across the chest, he halted in his tracks. Turning to face the silent oak morbidly, he gritted his teeth against the light sting of pain that blossomed from the shallow wound upon his hide. Opening his mouth malignantly, he prepared to reprimand the audacious tree, when his better judgment preceded him.

Shutting his mouth, he opted to be silent and discreet, and simply carried on through the snow. Gazing upwards, he clutched his wings to his sides as he watched the dark mass of intertwining branches pass overhead. He seemed to be alone in the maze of trees, and the only sound that met his ears was the muffled sound of his footfalls. Pausing at the height of a smooth hill, he examined the snowy world about him. The fogging of his breath obscured the sleeping forest surrounding him, the faint glow of his markings reflected upon the faceted snowflakes that spiraled through the air around him.

"speak"

Svetlana Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
[Image: vnjxbc.png]
Svetlana the Stormchaser
'There was something more about her, something that screamed a greater destiny.' - Evers the Able

Night flying was just another upside to flying. There was something special to it, an extraordinary sensation, as you glided high above the sleeping earth, chilled as you might be. Silence was fulfilling soft, broken only by the rustling of silken feathers, primaries extending to leave me to glide. I had been flying, gliding really, for several hours, deep into my thoughts. There was nothing that could compare to the sigh of your wings slowly downstroking, to be followed up, and down. Nothing compared to the wind rustling your mane, tangling in your tail, whispering secrets in your ears as you tilted, banking slowly across the darkness. I kept to the thermals, where the warm air floated and danced, until soon I was high in the heavens, very high. The earth was little quilt below me, a waving silver-tinted black ocean the trees; silver and black twists representing the deserts; a white plain where the meadows laid; a glittering white ribbon where the rivers flowed.

I exited the heat passage into the heavens, wings catching on a downdraft in a small portion of open space below the curling white-topped clouds obscuring the glittering pieces of shale hanging in the skies. The cool airflow put me down swiftly, a gentle hand pressuring me downwards as I spiraled in its grip, finally landing with the softest of hooves upon the snow. I dropped onto my fores, flaring wings shutting to steel sides, and began walking, ready to shake the soreness out of legs. It was to my surprise that I did find another pegasus here, a black tinted with greens and teals, breaking up his ebony coat. "Hello there wanderer. What brings you to Helovia?" Honestly, I'm not in much of a mood for words, but I ask anyways, for he may be a good recruit for the herd.

[crappy post... sorry D: ]

""

Image Credit: venomxbaby (when downsized, signature become somewhat unreadable)

Murdock Posts: 198
Outcast atk: 9 | def: 10.5 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.2hh :: 8 HP: 61.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Gaz

M U R D O C K
If I go crazy then will you still call me Superman?

The snow swirled lazily about him, swept softly from the low-hanging bows of the surrounding trees to twist in wild patterns through the forest. Murdock idly watched the dancing snowflakes, his gaze wandering up to the clear sky above, littered with metal stars and a full, white-faced moon. He had chosen a perfect night to travel and the flying conditions could not have been better for his trip from his former homeland to the threshold of this new haven. Pulling his wings about himself, he glanced warily around. Though the forest seemed still and sleeping, he could not be sure who waited in the shadows.

Taking a few steps forward, he continued on through the labyrinth of dark trees, hooves gliding soundlessly through the deep snow. He figured he had travelled several kilometers from his landing site, and yet he had found little to catch his interest. Was this land abandoned? Perhaps he simply had to travel farther. After all, even his own home had vast stretches of uninhabited space. Pushing on through the trees, he admired the glimmering frost that thickly coated each branch and shrub.

Halting suddenly, he turned his head, the muffled sound of another’s approach catching his perked ears. A fellow Pegasus entered his field of view, her coat a stunning shade of silver. He tensed, unsure of what move to make as the mare approached him. Her great black wings were folded at her sides, and as she approached she called out a greeting to him. Turning about to face her, he dipped his head in greeting. Perhaps he was in luck, and this stranger would not cause him any trouble.

"Good evening" he replied, nodding his head curtly as she approached. He admired the confident way she held herself, and her voice held a clear tone of authority. "I am simply travelling, trying to find a new life for myself away from the shadows of my past" he smiled faintly, wandering a few steps closer to her. What he said was the truth, although he had chosen to exclude the part about being a refugee, on the run from his captors who would have him killed. He didn’t need to bring such conflict into conversation with a stranger; some things were best left unsaid.

He held her ebony gaze for a moment, looking her up and down as he stood in silence. Despite his usual nature, he had decided to be civil and presentable around this mare. After all, maybe it was best not to frighten off someone who could potentially help explain this “Helovia”. "My name is Murdock" he offered his name, giving a deep bow of his head before straightening up to meet her dark gaze again. "Might I know your name?" he asked simply, struggling to hold back the many questions that swirled about his mind. Introductions came first, and then he could swamp her with questions. After all, first impressions can make or break any relationship, and he hoped to not screw this one up.

"speak"