Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.3 hh :: 38 months
Alex

TARES
</style>
Do you wanna see how much I can take?   
Can't you just leave bad enough alone?
</style>

I heard that he died.

I don't know who told me. I don't know what their name was, I can barely remember what they look like. It's said that such a moment is unforgettable, but all I remember is the cold fact, and the immediacy of the pain that it caused me. I'd wandered around hopelessly in this land, knowing that any left after the sundering had made their way here, looking for him, and at last I found him, it just wasn't the touching reunion I had envisioned.

I don't know what's become of my mother and I don't much care. Given her tendencies to cower in the face of danger, she's most likely dead. And I know that he is. So that makes me alone. That makes me an orphan, I suppose. And it's not that I won't do fine on my own, because I've been doing that for most of my life now. It's not that with every inch that has grown to my beard and tail, which now both stretch to hit the ground in thin sheets of black, I haven't gained enough experience for a year of someone's life. It's just that my attitude of fatality and my general apathy caused by a sense of defeat at last feels justified.

Because I'm not sure what I have to look for anymore. I have prayed each night to the Gods of Light and Fire, but for too long I have been abandoned by their graces. I remember that once there was a time I saw the great fox himself, his glowing form just barely grazing the surface of the mirror that lay within the frostpine. I haven't seen or heard from the gods in months now.

I hadn't really seen or heard from anyone until two days ago, when a passing outcast gave me the news. And I still don't know where to find him, even after that. Though now I'm not sure it's worth it.

Would seeing his corpse really help anything? No, likely not. Nothing really ever helped anything. Which is exactly why I have landed here and folded my wings, let my whiplike tail extend outwards and far beyond my form until every hair only just graced the ground, lifted my head just high enough that my horn, still decidedly and disappointingly short, fell between the patches of shadow. I have blended with the darkness that I had in the past months slowly started to become, not expecting anyone to find me, not certain of what I'll do if they did. Because nothing will help; nothing ever does.

image by vinothchandar @ flickr.com</style>

d'Artagnan the Nightshade Posts: 364
Aurora Basin General atk: 6 | def: 9 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17hh :: 12 HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Aramis :: Common Hellhound :: Hellfire & Superspeed imi
"Kou?"

d'Artagnan called out to his new nurse. He was like a red flash in the darkness of the trees, foreshadowing the impending damage he was about to inflict. Under orders from his King, d'Artagnan stalked his way into the Threshold. The target; Sun Followers. Their numbers had been significantly cut down after the fall of their leader and it was the unicorn's of the Edge's job to make sure those numbers kept dropping. His cloven hooves bounced lightly off the ground, his glass shards protruding menacingly from his head.

A flash of light guided d'Artagnan off in a new direction, stalking the newcomer into the Threshold. The light soon turned into flames... No. Fiery wings. The Doctor trembled with glee as he met his first victim. It made him sick that the closer he got to the creature the more he could make out a small horn sticking ungraciously from her head. Flattening his ears he picked up his pace, hoping Kou was keeping up, his head lowered to the ground and muscles rippled menacingly.

"What kind of abomination are you?!"

He emerged from the trees and headed straight for Tares.

[Image: arttable.png]

my heart’s an endless winter
              filled with rage

Use force at your own peril ;) please tag me!

Kou Posts: 93
Aurora Basin Mare
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.0 :: 4
ali
[Image: koutable.png]
Kou
"I'm here." It would take more than a fast walk for the doctor to lose her. She followed behind him, her steps light compared to the much larger stallion's. Their mission was still fresh in her mind. Find sun followers and destroy them. She would do that with great pleasure. The followers that were unicorns were to be converted to moon followers. If that were to fail, only then were they to kill them. She wondered if d'Artagnan remembered that part. She had a sneaking suspicion that he only heard the 'destroy sun followers' part.

The same flash of light that the doctor had seen was seen by her. She changed her direction, her pace picking up just as d'Artagnan's did. Naturally he arrived before she did. His exclamation was enough for her to know what they were dealing with. A sun follower. She was not, however, expecting to see the fiery wings that faded until they disappeared.

"Wait," she called to him when he began to charge. "She is a unicorn, our orders were to convert first." She cantered after the stallion, hoping that her words hadn't fallen on deaf ears. Of course if they had what was one unicorn compared to the thousands that roamed the lands?

colourize-stock @ deviantart | prints-of-stock @ deviantart | edlo @ deviantart

Onni the Illuminant Posts: 194
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2hh :: 8 Buff: SWIFT
Lyhty :: Diamond Firetail Finch :: Sing Boom Boom!

Onni had developed a strange weaved basket out of the sparse grasses of the Throat. She had a makeshift looking loop hanging from her neck with the weighed down vessel pulling at her neck. The pieces of Ampere, Voltaic's beloved katana, would occasionally glimmer through the holes in the basket. The lightning bolt on the handle protruded from the top, but those who had not known her fallen mentor would likely not guess what object she had kept near her heart.

There was something that tugged on her heart to keep Ampere, fix her broken blade. After that, Onni was not particularly keen on keeping the weapon, for she had not the means to wield such a blade aside from her mouth. Perhaps Azzuen or another relative of her friend would take the blade once repaired - she did not know for sure.

The tobiano had been wandering looking for a crafter to fix the blade, but so far had not met any aside from Narmer, who she had not yet run into. With a hopeful stride, the pegasus makes her way toward the Threshold. Unique individuals were at times crossing the borders into Isilme, and she thought maybe the same could be said for Helovia.

When the trees began to fold from her way, Onni slowed her pace, blue eyes growing cautious. It wasn't until she heard voices that the mare's steps gained a little spring again, her heart hoping to find something of use within the copse of trees. A glimmering light, like fire, guides the tobiano forward, until she sees a trio of bodies standing along the lines of a few trees. Onni meanders forth, coming up around the pair of unicorns and looking at the strange pair of flickering wings on the back of the unfamiliar mare.

The wings glimmered to air, disappearing from her back. Onni's eyes open wide, even as the pair of unicorns seemed to close threateningly on the younger mare. "Why would you aim to harm a stranger?" the mare calls forward toward the blood colored stallion, whom she already had developed a distaste for. The words of the unicorn mare - something about conversion - meant nothing to the pegasus.

The whole situation just made her uneasy.

[ ooc; I remember you saying you wanted her to get a bit beat up, Alex, but Onni wanted to pop in. Hope it's okay. ^^ ]

Tares Posts: 74
Deceased
Alex

TARES
</style>
</style>

He calls me an abomination and I'm too far gone to fully care. A chortled snort presses out from betwixt my nostrils, which protest the inhalation of the dense, Tallsun air that follows. My body is weak, I'm not meant for such toils and terrain. Nor am I meant for such encounters as these. He has called me a monster and I'm certain it's because of my wings. Borne of the phoenix, the gift of my father, my wings rest discontentedly as I work to keep the flame alive. Any that knew him might see the feather paired with his eyes that rest in my skull and recognize me as his daughter, but I get the sense that the pair of unicorns before me are more likely to be acquainted with the likes of my mother.

The mare comes in, her horn gleaming and sending a bolt of fear down my spine as I recall the scars shaped just the same that rest beneath my twitching black hide. Every hair on my side seems to quake with the memory of my mother's horn striking flesh and finding its mark- the scars themselves feel numb, as if they remember the very path taken by my blood as a child. She speaks of conversion, and I feel a filly once more. Lost among the ranks of the sect, I would stand with my wide eyes as the gleaming horns of the unicorns in Ultima looked down upon me and called me filthy names. They would make me believe it to be truth until I left.

Now I have left, and what have I come to but the very same thing? My head reels with the prospect of my life as a circular path, and suddenly I find myself longing once more for the company of my only childhood friend. What happened to the Tome Guardian during the Sundering? Surely he hadn't passed- as a filly I had viewed him as a being that could not ever die. To hear that he too was gone would be too much.

But I can't stop thinking about it. And when the third mare comes in, with painted wings bringing a faint life to my own as the phoenix's embers rise from my shoulders, I am lost in the memory of the Islands where my father had once lived. I am only faintly responsive to them all as they arrive and speak of and to me, I only break the silence with sad and slow glances up from the ground and back to their gazes as my tail sweeps across the dirt. I turn to the pegasus, answering the question she has posed for the others with a bitter sort of pessimism that has haunted my thoughts of late. "They don't seem the type to know any other way of saying hello," comes the quiet reply, accompanied by an unfaltering and piercing yellow gaze. The gaze of my father.

I turn to the others with increasing disinterest, my head lifting as I do so. "Hello," I speak cooly, ignoring their lack of manner and countering it with my own. The stallion heads for me foolishly, and I become aware of the fact that this all seems to have happened within an instant. With a hiss my wings unfurl and wrap around me, creating a barrier between myself and the stallion. As hot as it could burn and as fierce as it looks, I keep the fires cool so as not to harm the stallion. Through all of this I won't lose my principles- I must keep one thing safe.

[Perfectly fine; She'll appreciate a friend of her father's.]

d'Artagnan the Nightshade Posts: 364
Aurora Basin General atk: 6 | def: 9 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17hh :: 12 HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Aramis :: Common Hellhound :: Hellfire & Superspeed imi

Muscles froze into place at the shout from the chasing Kou. Unicorn? Hmph, how can she have wings and yet be unicorn? Nostrils edged that bit wider and eyes, both blue and brown, that bit wilder. d'Artagnan turned back to his assistant and frowned "her wings are made of fire! Do I look like I have wings made of fire?! Because I don't see any on you..." He huffed away at Kou, being stopped mid-charge the Doctors blood was boiling at a higher rate than it normally would. Albeit, his grumpy nature lead to these kind of outbursts. Air shot out in sharp puffs that slowed gently as he gained control of himself, the frown remained. Keeping his shards of horn lowered he tilted his head slightly to the side "We also had other orders... Remember?" His voice had lost the edge and the wild anger, he looked more gently at his Nurse this time. As he finished he caught the scent of Onni and watched her approach with slight interest.

The tobiano mare smelt of the Throat lands, the territory that was now run by the pegasus band. The arch in his neck rose slightly as winged flames were drawn out again, cursing as they did so. He stalked forwards only slightly, his cloves hooves nimble across the surface. d'Art paused to consider Onni for a moment before answering "this does not concern you, I do not want to bring harm to you." He'd now completely dropped his voice and his appearance became more serene. It was a warning to both her and himself, in a flash of anger d'Artagnan didn't want to cause an outright war by hurting another herd land's member. At least, not yet anyway.

Mismatched gaze turned onto Tares and her flames. His anger flared again at her insolence but he was quickly on top of himself. d'Artagnan held her gaze and allowed a smile to play around his lips "hello." It was insinuatingly put and meant to mean more than a flippant greeting. d'Art put mind to task then and began to stalk to the right, part of his thoughts wondering if Kou would stop him this time.

my heart’s an endless winter
              filled with rage

Use force at your own peril ;) please tag me!

Kou Posts: 93
Aurora Basin Mare
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.0 :: 4
ali
[Image: koutable.png]
Kou
"I know her wings are made of fire." Kou kept her voice calm and soothing as she spoke to the doctor. The mare was thankful that he had stopped his charge and hadn't run his horn through the fiery mare, especially when another winged one arrived. It would do them no good to be caught slaying another by a member of a herd they were supposed to eventually make nice with. Their cover would be completely blown. d'Artagnan continued to huff away at her, but Kou paid that no attention as she closed the distance between them. "Yes, we had other orders." she agreed. "But one of those orders was to try and convert first. What if her wings aren't real?" Her voice had dropped so only d'Artagnan would be able to fully hear and understand her question.

Kou finally shifted to look at the winged mare and nodded her head. "Hello." It was the only thing she said before d'Artagnan began to speak. She sighed and shook her head, a small smile forming on her lips. Almost everything he said could be considered a threat in one way or another, whether he meant it or not. She had a feeling that he meant this threat, however. Although, Kou thought as her head raised and she looked to the sky, if they could get away with killing the pegasus without being caught then she wouldn't be against it. Then if the fiery unicorn balked she could be ended as well.

Her head turned in d'Art's direction when he finally focused on Tares again, and she watched him as he stalked to the right. Kou stayed where she was and offered the fiery mare a warm smile. "Where did you get those wings?" She asked sounding sincerely curious. "I must admit that they are quite impressive. I've never seen anyone with anything like them."

colourize-stock @ deviantart | prints-of-stock @ deviantart | edlo @ deviantart

Onni the Illuminant Posts: 194
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2hh :: 8 Buff: SWIFT
Lyhty :: Diamond Firetail Finch :: Sing Boom Boom!

Gentle blue eyes drift to the angry doctor, looking at him with a growing resolve. Cold steel shimmers beneath the surface of eyes that were before wrought with worry. Careful where you step - Onni may be kind to those she meets, but she is far from a push over. "You could try, sir, but I doubt you would find me an easy target." The pale face staring back at the unicorn now is one of quite determination. Her words are softly spoken, but they hold a force - a gale of wind.

Onni turns to view the younger mare again, eyes softened as she listens to her words. A small smirk forms up on her lips. At least the poor girl has humor still, defeated as she looks. At least her fiery wings have seemed to regain life at the appearance of the pegasus, but Onni still worries for her health. What would become of the child who looks so weary? Would she make it through the lands of Helovia?

The other unicorn, who had been mostly silent, has eyes upon the pair - Onni and Tares. The pegasus mare is quite aware of their weight upon her build, though she cares little. The pair are nothing but gutless thugs she decides quickly. To beat a warrior with true heart would be more than either could accomplish. When the mare's interest is returned back to the fiery mare, however, Onni takes a step closer to the dark girl, hoping to shield her from whatever malice these characters are bringing with them.

Onni looks toward Tares's face as the unicorn asks her question, and then the painted lady notices the yellow eyes staring out from her new friend's face. Familiar, electric, lively eyes. Voltaic's eyes. The weight upon her neck, emanating from the basket, feels as though it increases upon recognition. Who was this child to Voltaic? A daughter?

"You are Voltaic's daughter?" her question is almost like a statement, though it rises enough at the end to give life to her uncertainty. One thing was for sure, if this mare was the daughter of Voltaic, Onni would extend to her all of the aid she could muster.

Tares Posts: 74
Deceased
Alex

TARES
</style>
</style>

And then suddenly the hostility leaves the air like water in the heat of Tallsun's eternal drought. I find myself surrounded by curious and kind faces, and the accusations turn into a barrage of questions. And yet I do not trust them- past the smiles I sense something far more sinister, something I saw when they first arrived and cannot forget. And of them all I am most fearful of the blood colored stallion with the shards of glass that protrude from his head like daggers. There is a fierce determination about him that I cannot completely place, but even while lacking this specificity, I am certain that he wishes me ill will. Even the unicorn mare seems disingenuous, though perhaps that is merely a part of the programming of my brain, which was so delicately wired by my mother's beatings. I find solace only in the presence of the pegasus mare with the light along her neck; in her wings I see a love of the sky and remember my father. It takes very little to remember him now, for my mind is tender in the wake of his death.

And only now do I begin to wonder how it came about. I somehow feel through my baseline of depression a spike of anger, and the question as to whether or not it was a murder arises. Something inside of me hates whoever caused the death and wants it to feel my pain, and I refuse to believe that there is no one to blame. It is dangerous, this hint of revenge, and it is calmed only by the words of the paint.

She asks me if I am voltaic's daughter, and I wonder what tipped her off. Perhaps the tribal marking and the pattern of my coat; perhaps the eyes, perhaps the wings. I view them all through the flickering flame of my wings, his wings, reluctant to lower them and with them my guard. Their warmth reminds me of a simpler time, structured by my mother's cruelty and interrupted by my father's sparse appearances in my life. I remember when he first gave me his wings on the beach, and my lips part to answer the query.

"Of course- these are his wings," I add in a shaking murmur, feeling the depth of the question hit me like a blow from my mother's horn. I am his daughter in more ways than one- I'd be a fool to not follow his path of loyalty now. "I was born of the temptress Iris; the mare who stole and twisted his heart for her own gains. You knew him?" I question in a clearer voice, changing tones completely from one thought to the next as if forgetting the darker part of my history even as I speak. My yellow eyes focus on the paint now, and my attentions are no longer remotely directed towards the unicorns. What have they to offer me but familiar tricks and beatings, when she stands here with knowledge of my father?