Deceased
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.3 hh :: 38 months
Alex

TARES
</style>
Do you wanna see how much I can take?   
Can't you just leave bad enough alone?
</style>

He calls me an abomination and I'm too far gone to fully care. A chortled snort presses out from betwixt my nostrils, which protest the inhalation of the dense, Tallsun air that follows. My body is weak, I'm not meant for such toils and terrain. Nor am I meant for such encounters as these. He has called me a monster and I'm certain it's because of my wings. Borne of the phoenix, the gift of my father, my wings rest discontentedly as I work to keep the flame alive. Any that knew him might see the feather paired with his eyes that rest in my skull and recognize me as his daughter, but I get the sense that the pair of unicorns before me are more likely to be acquainted with the likes of my mother.

The mare comes in, her horn gleaming and sending a bolt of fear down my spine as I recall the scars shaped just the same that rest beneath my twitching black hide. Every hair on my side seems to quake with the memory of my mother's horn striking flesh and finding its mark- the scars themselves feel numb, as if they remember the very path taken by my blood as a child. She speaks of conversion, and I feel a filly once more. Lost among the ranks of the sect, I would stand with my wide eyes as the gleaming horns of the unicorns in Ultima looked down upon me and called me filthy names. They would make me believe it to be truth until I left.

Now I have left, and what have I come to but the very same thing? My head reels with the prospect of my life as a circular path, and suddenly I find myself longing once more for the company of my only childhood friend. What happened to the Tome Guardian during the Sundering? Surely he hadn't passed- as a filly I had viewed him as a being that could not ever die. To hear that he too was gone would be too much.

But I can't stop thinking about it. And when the third mare comes in, with painted wings bringing a faint life to my own as the phoenix's embers rise from my shoulders, I am lost in the memory of the Islands where my father had once lived. I am only faintly responsive to them all as they arrive and speak of and to me, I only break the silence with sad and slow glances up from the ground and back to their gazes as my tail sweeps across the dirt. I turn to the pegasus, answering the question she has posed for the others with a bitter sort of pessimism that has haunted my thoughts of late. "They don't seem the type to know any other way of saying hello," comes the quiet reply, accompanied by an unfaltering and piercing yellow gaze. The gaze of my father.

I turn to the others with increasing disinterest, my head lifting as I do so. "Hello," I speak cooly, ignoring their lack of manner and countering it with my own. The stallion heads for me foolishly, and I become aware of the fact that this all seems to have happened within an instant. With a hiss my wings unfurl and wrap around me, creating a barrier between myself and the stallion. As hot as it could burn and as fierce as it looks, I keep the fires cool so as not to harm the stallion. Through all of this I won't lose my principles- I must keep one thing safe.

[Perfectly fine; She'll appreciate a friend of her father's.]

image by vinothchandar @ flickr.com</style>

Messages In This Thread
Nothing Ever Helps [Open] - by Tares - 06-22-2012, 06:32 PM
RE: Nothing Ever Helps [Open] - by d'Artagnan - 06-26-2012, 10:14 AM
RE: Nothing Ever Helps [Open] - by Kou - 06-26-2012, 10:30 AM
RE: Nothing Ever Helps [Open] - by Onni - 06-26-2012, 04:12 PM
RE: Nothing Ever Helps [Open] - by Tares - 06-26-2012, 08:12 PM
RE: Nothing Ever Helps [Open] - by d'Artagnan - 06-28-2012, 02:15 PM
RE: Nothing Ever Helps [Open] - by Kou - 06-29-2012, 12:59 PM
RE: Nothing Ever Helps [Open] - by Onni - 06-29-2012, 07:58 PM
RE: Nothing Ever Helps [Open] - by Tares - 07-03-2012, 09:08 AM