the Rift

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep. [Complete]

Ree Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
[Image: reej.png]

Winter; it was such an infernal, useless thing. Beneath Ree’s dark hooves the earth cracks, the delicate morning frost broken by her unhurried steps. Particles of ice cling like hopeless mariners to her fetlocks. They too fall from place, crushed back into the ground and earth as the mare continues in a straight line, unwavering, perhaps even determined. Her breath curls up into the air, a sliver of silver smoke that whispers as it rises against the frigid cold. She can almost hear it, the sound it makes – a muffled wail of a tortured soul – and for a moment she comes to a stop at the top of the rise she had been climbing. She shuffles her hooves restlessly at the edge of the trees, gold-brown eyes flashing, petite ears careened forward intently. She exhales again, slowly this time. She listens. She waits.

Nothing.

The bay mare huffs. It is a windy, guttural snort clearly portraying the agitation that shows in the way she stands. Seemingly stationary, yet ready to move at any given instance, feet shifting, eyes looking- never still. Perhaps the nice talks she had with herself about losing her mind had been more close to the truth than her conscious had wanted to admit. Too much time on her own had made Ree far too reflective of the things that went through her head, some things the kind best not reflected on. She much preferred the simplicity of not having to care or be bothered. She hated this new feeling of uncertainty, of no longer knowing herself entirely. She hated change.

Yet here she was in the very midst of change, running from things she still couldn’t understand. Perhaps because she refused to try. Her past is a mottle of unhappy shadows that dance and laugh tauntingly at the back of her mind, tempting her to dwell on them like little, cursed demons summoned purely to cause her misery. The temptation manifests itself in a battle of thoughts and haunted memories inside the inner workings of her mind. As she stares out from the trees, down at this new, unfamiliar place, the war rages on. The unwanted feelings and recollections are as useful to her as this treacherous, petulant season of ice. Yet for as resolute and decisive as Ree could be, she still teeters on the precarious edge between her own sanity and the enticement of losing herself to the beckoning darkness completely.

Long, wild, black locks of hair fall in disarray across her face and along the length of her slender neck when she throws her head, a nervous tick, trying to clear her view. She studies the scenery intently now, an attempt to sway her attention away from the less desirable things that still murmur demandingly from the headspace where she has pushed them. The sun breaks through the clouds, bright, white sunlight that reflects off an equally white world, making the picture it paints almost unbearable in its winter fed pallor. She has stood still too long, ice has again settled on her feathered ankles, frost clinging to the tendrils of her tail that brush the ground behind her. She is a mirror image of the wilderness she has stumbled upon, an unpredictable, shadowy coil of muscles and skin and racing thoughts and wandering eyes.

Eyes that, for the briefest of seconds, appear to settle with a look of unimaginable panic.

And in those brief seconds, Ree’s resolve crumbles, a broken porcelain sculpture of elegance and poise shattered by a blow to its weakest juncture. And those thoughts she fought so hard to ignore begin their slow, poisonous, creeping ascent.

"The woods are lovely, dark, and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep. "

< /div>
< /td>
< sub>
table by imi

Cassiopeia Posts: 171
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 hands :: 8 years old
Phantom

trust your heart if the
seas catch fire

The world was quiet. She teetered on the edge of immaculate perfection, and she might've achieved it, were it not for the unravelling quality of cold. Upon her dark bosom the frost clung like tiny, intricate pearls, smothering all aspects of botanical life. A layer of ice coated the tree limbs, yet they evinced no contempt, retreated deep themselves in the midst of their winter slumber. Frigidity clung to the air like an invisible mantra, and it hied down the matron's throat as if wreathed with frost.

The wind crooned softly, whispering quiescently against the downy plumes of her wings, extended from fattened slopes. Cyan eyes scanned the forest below, probing the frost-cloaked terrain intently. From above the canopies of the trees, the world seemed small. Below her spanned hundreds of feet of nothing but air occupied only by the occasional stray flake of snow careening slowly through the air like a winter butterfly before being whisked away on the breeze without even the slightest bit of defiance.

"Ah, Frostfall," she whispered, "how unsure I feel of thee."

There is balance in all things, even in the endlessly orbiting ritual of the seasons. With a harsh winter, there is a frail hope that spring will come to whisk away the snow and the staleness, and in its wake all living things will be reborn. Without the cruelty of winter, the true majesty of spring could never be veritably cherished.

It is with this mindset that the star breather caught site of something below her - a break in the trees, and what would appear to be an equine, the rich mahogany of her coat a stark contract amongst the pristine white which encompassed her. Almost reflexively she allowed a whinny to leak past her lips, and she arced her body downward, riding the wind current as she began her descent. Hopefully this mare wouldn't mind the company.

Wings beat forcefully, and she alighted rather gracefully before the stranger. The appendages were then furled with care atop her back, and she smiled thinly, glad to have found another when she had seen naught a soul for so long. She bowed her head ever slightly - a silent salutation. "Greetings," she offered, her tone cordial and inviting. The mare's expression was ambiguous; a nameless emotion, and yet it was evident something had perturbed her. "Forgive my imprudence, but does something trouble you?"

Unregistered

It takes mere seconds for the subconscious to bring to light an image supposedly forgotten, a wavering ghost of a thought. It is a dream from a past haunted, something that had taken such care and practice to lock away in the first place. However, there is something more surreal about being pulled abruptly from a memory so clear. For a moment one’s soul seems suspended in a limbo between fantasy and reality, where the world around you seems to blur, laced with visions from a time bygone. The only sound is the rapid, racing thud of a beating heart, and shallow, labored breaths. Everything is sharper, brighter, as the senses are overwhelmed by the onslaught. It is a moment so fleeting that one might find themselves wondering if it had truly happened at all, a déjà vu of the petrifying sort.

Wings and wind and the noise of the stranger drag Ree from the deep, back into this real world of cold and ice and miserable snow. Startled by the sudden appearance of the stranger in front of her she jumps reflexively, eyes wide and nostrils flared in trepidation, doing her best not to slide on the slick, frost covered slope- an attempt made in vain. In an uncharacteristic act of sheer clumsiness the bay mare falters and her right foreleg slips forward, and she all but tumbles to her knees. In her embarrassment she barely catches the winged mare’s greeting, but she manages to compose herself, planting all four feet squarely beneath her and trying her best to erase the smoldering remains of mortification that make her cheeks glow with warmth even against the frigid breeze.

“Greetings indeed,” she replies curtly. Ree bows her petite head ever so slightly in respectful return, causing her already wild hair to fall even more haphazardly across her face, shielding her brown-gold eyes behind a curtain of tangled, wind knotted tendrils of black. “As for being troubled, I suppose trouble follows me as I go. I’ve grown quite accustom to its unavoidable company.”

Her words might have seemed a bit abrupt, a bit crass, but it was her nature to act as such, an instantaneous, preprogrammed reaction to anything new and unknown. As Ree observed the new face before her she pondered the wings folded across the mare’s back, the glossy feathers that gleamed brilliantly against the white world around them, and she could not recall the last time she had seen a Pegasus. For a brief moment a pang of jealousy kindled in the bay mare’s belly, and she wondered and marveled at what it might be like to fly. What an escape it must be, to leave all the earthly things so far below, and be lost entirely amongst the cloudy expanse of the sky.

Freedom.

It was something Ree longed for constantly. Freedom from what exactly, she couldn’t say for sure. Many things from her previous life that she carried with her kept her bound in chains and locks, baggage of the psychological sort that she was incapable of releasing entirely, no matter how hard she tried. It was part of the reason why she had come here; thinking that maybe a new life entirely could somehow eradicate the scars of failures and the misery of bad choices. For so long she had resisted uprooting herself, partly because of her stubborn, pig headed nature, but also because of the fear of the unknown. She had never had to admit to herself all the facets that make up her ridiculous perception of reality until now, and it was forcing her to reevaluate all the decisions she had ever made.

It left plenty of room for skeletons to come dancing right out of the closet. And dance they did.

< font color="f0a25c">“Ree,”
she speaks suddenly, breathlessly, as if she hadn’t been breathing at all, “My name is Ree. Forgive me as well; too much time alone leaves much to be desired as far as my manners are concerned.”

The crunch of ice follows her words as she shuffles her hooves across the frozen ground, the sun casting rays across the both of them, gleaming bay and glistening dark surrounded by the stark, bleak wintertime. Yet, for as empty as the world around them appeared to be, Ree couldn’t help but notice the feeling company stirred in her. The cold, desolate and frantic look that had lingered in her eyes was replaced by something softer. Loneliness had never bothered her before, for she was most certainly used to being alone in all definitions of the word, but this time was different. She couldn’t help but feel its gnawing presence work its way through her chest, tightening and binding itself around the walls she built much like a creeping vine. It works its way steadily through all the cracks and crevices left behind by the destruction and damage that comes with the effort of living and the passage of time.

< /div>
< /td>
< sub>
table by imi

Hidden Account
Phantom

trust your heart if the
seas catch fire

As the bay mare faltered Cassiopeia lurched forward almost automatically as if in attempt to keep her from falling. It was a superfluous motion however - a quick, yet minor gesture, serving no useful purpose other than to evince her concern. It was little more than a partial stride forward with her right foreleg, wings inadvertently unfurled part way. She soon recovered however and responded to her inquiry as though nothing had happened, hardly missing a beat and therefore Cassiopeia saw no reason to re-arouse her embarrassment by offering any sort of apology. Otherwise, she most certainly would've.

The mare bowed her head, simulating the movement previously actioned by the roan. She took a moment to study this stranger, albeit courteously. Cyan eyes never departed from her face as she observed her features, taking note of the lengthiness of her mane and forelock. Her pigment was a common one; austere, and yet she was admittedly pretty. She stood taller than Cassiopeia by nearly a hand and she appeared to be about the same age as well. Her scent was unfamiliar to the dame, which was to be expected of a newcomer. It spoke of foreign lands; a dulcet aroma - as was common of mares, it would seem - and it was greatly reminiscent of an odoriferous pine. She spoke then and the cobalt maiden pricked her ears forward, hearken to the others words as each fell from charred lips.

"Some of us are more prone to it than others, it seems. It would appear as though its presence is rather inevitable." Cassiopeia occasionally felt as though she gravitated it. In this past year alone she had managed to fracture her wing twice - once from an aerial collision with another of her own kind and the other the result of an unfortunate encounter with a cougar - narrowly escaped the cursory destructiveness of fire when set loose on parched soil and eluded the injurious clutches of a giant basilisk. She couldn't decide if luck was on her side, for all had been close encounters, or if the ineffable phenomenon was against her. She wasn't even sure if she believed in such a thing as luck.

Noticing the stranger's eyes anchored on her wings she ruffled them gently, repositioning them ever slightly atop the sloping contours of her back. A few moments of silence slunk by and Cassiopeia observed the mare curiously, eyes narrowed the slightest degree. It would appear as those this mare was a prisoner of her mind's own thoughtful prison but soon enough she spoke, announcing her name. "No need to be sorry. It's a pleasure to meet you. My name is Cassiopeia, and the land you stand within is known as Helovia." She gestured with a vague toss of her chiseled face to the forest encompassing them; to the trees which towered many feet above their heads and to the realm which spanned far beyond their vision. Helovia was vast, indeed.

A plume of smoke curled from her maw and she regarded the stranger with an inquisitive expression plaited across her distaff features. She inhaled softly before a simple phrase dribbled from her lips: "From where do you arrive?" Eloquence was something that came naturally to the dame and each word was uttered with a genteel prosody. "If you so desire, I could lead you to one of the herd lands."

Unregistered

"Some of us are more prone to it than others, it seems. It would appear as though its presence is rather inevitable."

Ree gave an agreeable toss of her head, the gesture accompanied by a soft, windy laugh rolling past parted lips. A gleam entered her gilded brown eyes that had not previously been there, something part mischievous, part amusement. She could not deny that the winged roan was nothing but right. Ree felt a sense of normality ebb back into her at this new found amity, a remedy for muscles that had previously been taught and coiled with tension and an elixir of life for bones wary and heavy with the hardships of travel. The sense of unease that often followed her in any new endeavor subsided enough to allow her racing mind to slow itself little by little. Again the memories and unwanted thoughts of before can be shuffled, shifted and put back in their proper place. That sad ache that habitually defined their presence recedes to a nearly unnoticeable twinge, something much more manageable. Something that can, for the most part, be completely ignored.

< font color="f0a25c">“Cassiopeia,”
Ree mirrors the name aptly, a near melodious sound, < font color="f0a25c">“The pleasure is mine.”

A breeze drifts at her back, rustling the many branches of the surrounding trees, creating a crackling, whispering trill of wood and leaves on the winter air. The sunlight shimmers and dances its way down from the canopy above, alighting on the two mare’s coats with a warming radiance against the biting cold. Ree can’t help but return her attention to the beautiful, gleaming feathers of the wings that are perched upon Cassiopeia’s lithe back. The bay mare is encompassed by part jealously, part wonder, but she manages to draw her eyes away before her staring reached the point of intrusive. At the question of her origins her ears twitch, flick forward and shift thoughtfully, curiosity given rise at the talk of herd lands. It makes Ree realize she hadn’t thought much past her original goal, which was to travel for as far and long as she could without looking back.

She hadn’t expected to make it this far.

“From a place far enough away I have hoped to leave all the memories of it behind.” Vague though her answer may be, Ree can’t help but get the notion that this new friend isn’t the type to push or prod. She wills that this answer, though lacking specifics of any sort, will be enough to temporarily assuage any fears or uncertainties of her motivations. “As for these herd lands you speak of… I haven’t any preplanned notions of where I am headed. Up until now, fate and chance have been my humble guides.”

The information the winged mare has provided has spun Ree’s thoughts in another direction entirely. She quietly ruminates on what she has just said, almost unnerved at how true the words had been. Being someone built on a foundation of preparation, concise structure and unwavering authority, it was uncannily uncharacteristic that she had essentially thrown herself to fortune’s wolves. And here she stood, still physically in one piece, despite the lingering doubts of her emotional stability. But Ree would not complain, it was more than she had initially hoped for, and for now that was enough.

“Tell me more of this Helovia in which we stand.” Ree’s inquiry leaps from her throat in a quick and abrupt trill of feminine vocals. Her words are sudden and sharp and filled with an impulsive spark of inquisitiveness, a hunger for knowledge, “I am the stranger here, and to be quite frank the unknown and the nameless are things I take no comfort in. I lack the same conviction of certainty I sustained during my youth. I am learning to accept change, a feeling I am still growing accustom to. Perhaps you can point me in the right direction.”

History books are the resting places of stories that tell the tales of wayward wanderers who had trusted their wellbeing to strangers, much to their folly. Ree doesn’t doubt that there are dangers in doing such things, but with nothing left to lose, she allows her previous framework of carefully configured logic dissolve and give way to a creature who has the a newly acquired taste for risk.

< /div>
< /td>
< sub>
table by imi

Hidden Account
Phantom

trust your heart if the
seas catch fire

She spoke of her desire to begin her life from stratch; to leave her past far behind and forget that it had ever existed in the first place. Cassiopeia could empathize with Ree for she too had sought after something similar: a fresh slate.

Up until now, fate and chance have been my humble guides.

"They have guided you well, then. Helovia has much to offer." Her tone was ever cordial and despite the absence of a smile her eyes were kind and accepting. A horse could make any life they wanted in Helovia. The possibilities were almost endless. She doubted she would find much trouble of casting her life anew here. She could be a medic or a diplomat or an informant; or she could simply dwell amongst the masses. The path of the warrior was not something Cassiopeia foresaw for this mare, though looks could be deceiving, as they often were - the roan mare knew that very well.

Tell me more of this Helovia. Cassiopeia was more than happy to share her knowledge of the land and she listened heedfully as she explained her reasoning. The thirst for knowledge was a mutual one. "I'd be more than happy to." She said with a soft laugh. "Change can be a wonderful thing if you open your mind to it." She paused then, pondering where to being before commencing her speech.

"Helovia is vast, her inhabitants just as diverse and fascinating as the land on which they reside." There was much to tell but she settled on enlightening her on their deities. She had found that often times they were unknown to newcomers; sometimes they were familiar. Cassiopeia had grown up worshiping the Goddess of the Moon but she hadn't been oblivious to the presence of her brothers. "Three Gods govern the land: the Goddess of the Moon, the God of the Earth, and the God of the Sun. Each herd is a patron of one of them. To the South-West there is a volcanic 'island' of sorts where they can be called upon to grant blessings of magic and other gifts."

She motioned toward the mountains to the North as she continued, their cragged peaks obscured partially by the masts of giant clouds. "To the North lies the Windtossed Foothills, a herd that is accepting of all regardless of race." She paused for a moment, reverting her gaze back to the mare before her. "I've heard rumors that their previous Chief and Chieftness were recently dethroned and that three individuals - an equine, a unicorn and a pegasus - have since come to power."

Her gaze remained on the equine, silently intercepting the mare's unsounded cues. She seemed interested and so she continued. "If you were to travel West until you arrive at the sea, you'd find the World's Edge toward the North. They are lead by an able mare by the name of Mirage - the Dragon Heart, as she is known." It was only fair that she know all her options. The roan mare was indeed not one to prod or poke and should Ree desire to visit a herd land other than her own the star breather would respect her decision and would not hesitate to escort her. She too had entered these lands in a similar fashion, though it seemed like that had been so long ago. Much had happened in her life since then. The gift of foresight had been returned to her and she had become a lover and a mother of two. Cassiopeia had learned to love in ways she had never known to be possible.

"I reside in a desert oasis to the South: the Dragon's Throat. The breath of Frostfall is but a distant memory there. Our ranks consist of mostly those of winged blood but my leader would surely welcome you should you desire to join us." A smile bloomed along her lips, or rather the the wispy grin that had painted her features matured into something more earnest. "We would be happy to have you. But if any of the other herds interest you I will happily lead you there." And with that the cobalt maiden fell silent, allowing the onslaught of information to soak in. It was a lot of information to absorb.

Unregistered

Ree was nothing if not diligent. She listened to Cassiopeia’s discourse of this new world intently, soaking up the information as it was given to her, thirsty for the knowledge. It was a comforting feeling to have something else to think about, to have a decision to make, and as the roan mare described the different herd lands, Ree painted grandiose pictures of their landscapes and leaders in her mind’s eye as Cassiopeia described them. She wondered at the talk of Gods and Goddesses. She did not come from a family of strong, profound spirituality, but the idea of a higher power had always intrigued her in a terrifying, spectral sort of way. To know that another being entirely held your fate in their hands was beyond Ree’s logical, forward way of thinking. Perhaps she would like to visit this volcanic island of legend and other worldly beings someday.

She couldn’t help the reflexive shiver of delight as she imagined warmer, sunnier climates than this winter encased woodland she had stumbled upon. And though all the lands sounded intriguing, the childish amazement that sometimes drove some of her more conceited, petty thought yearned to visit this land of winged horses the blue roan mare spoke so fondly of. The genuine look of kindliness on the mare’s pretty face was encouragement enough for Ree, who felt drawn to the prospects of a real friendship, something she had never truly experienced. For so long her life had consisted of relationships in which she had been used, emotionally and physically. Recalling the people and places involved in them was an unwanted, painful reminder of the baggage she still carried. But it strengthened her too, invigorated her and made her even more determined to begin again. A phoenix rising from the ashes.

“Though I might be out of place amongst your winged brethren, I would gladly follow you to your home. Warmer climates would be a reprieve against this horrid cold.” Ree gave a soft chuckle, the sound accompanied by the wisps of her smoky breath on the cool, frostfall air. From beneath the wild, wayward strands of her forelock she peered back at the roan with an equally earnest grin, bespeaking a confidence that had not originally been there. “I have enjoyed your company as well, if I may be so bold. Solitude is not something I am accustomed to, and I have not liked it in extended quantities. If nothing else it would be a relief to share the journey with you, another voice to talk to – besides the ones in my head – would be a welcome change.”

Ree began to feel warmer, a radiance that had not previously been there, fighting back against the windy, wintery chill. Maybe this was the first step, the first in many of a long road she had yet to travel. Helovia in all its mystery and allure might hold the key to fixing the broken foundations and the cracked walls of a lonely, shattered soul. So many things had led Ree here to this, the triumphs and tragedies of life that had created who she was. A storm of emotions collect in her chest, she imagines in that space where her heart would be, and they fuel the searing burn of regret that lingers there, the sadness of loss. For a moment what would appear to be inexplicable sorrow shades the bay mare’s expression, a quick glimpse of heart break that is gone almost as quickly as it had come.

All healing occurred in due time, but some things once broken could never be mended again.

and miles to go before I sleep,
and miles to go before I sleep."

table by imi

Hidden Account
Phantom

[ ooc ; No muse. But I thought I should get this up. I'll make another thread for Ree to be accepted by Kri sometime soon, hopefully when I find more inspiration D: ]

It would appear as though the Dragon's Throat would have yet another able body added to their ranks. She smiled as the other mare voiced her decision. Cassiopeia had recruited many, but up until now they had been winged individuals; her kin. Even the flightless stallion, Andash had been graced with the lovely appendages. Not that it made any difference, really - horns or wings or hooves - it was merely an idle thought that had reeled through her mind. Kri had accepted those of other races before and she doubted that her leader would have any qualms about it now. "I'm sure you'll find it to your liking. Though I must warn you, the journey there is not a swift one." Helovia was, as aforementioned, exceptionally vast. The travel would be exceptionally longer now that flight was not an optional alternative. "I too have enjoyed your company, Ree. We will need to consult with Kri - my leader - before you are formally accepted but I'm sure she'll welcome you with open wings." She pivoted her body toward the Throat. "This way," She said, gesturing toward it with her head. And with that she began her journey South.

Unregistered
[OOC; It's ok, it happens to all of us. And sounds great! Don't feel rushed. We will assumed she follows Cass and they have a grand time as they travel. x) <3 ]