the Rift

Painted in Flames [Calvariam]

Murdock Posts: 198
Outcast atk: 9 | def: 10.5 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.2hh :: 8 HP: 61.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Gaz

M U R D O C K
If I go crazy then will you still call me Superman?

A spark of hope blossomed in Murdock’s chest, and for a moment he believed that Cal had truly readjusted far sooner than he would’ve imagined. After having been off her wings for so long, he would have figured that it would have taken hours of practice to get back into the air. He watched with a broad smile as the older mare played about above the field, rising up towards him quickly. He was just about to turn away from her and lead on, when she soared past him higher into the skies. Startled, Murdock tipped his head back to watch her. She had a mischievous glint in her eyes, and he vastly misunderstood her intentions.

Staring in horror as the roan folded her pale wings to her sides, the stallion watched Cal enter a vertical dive that brought her ever closer to the golden earth. She descended with increasing speed below him, and for the state of shock he was in all he could do was grit his teeth as she neared the meadow. However, at the last second her wings spread quickly to catch the air, and immediately her rate of descent was slowed. Murdock breathed a hasty sigh of relief, but he could not enjoy the moment for long.

Snapping his wings in against his sides, he entered a controlled dive and sped towards her. Drawing near to the mare, he slowly unfurled his wings to bring himself into an easy glide just above her. He was about to call out to her, and ask her if she was alright, when he noticed her wings give out. He mouth gaped open as she crashed onto the ground, her body rolling over and over before coming to rest in the dust. Seeing the way she had landed, he was sure he had killed her.

Finally folding his wings in against his sides, he let his hooves drop to the dusty earth as he stumbled a few paces. “Are you alright?!” he called worriedly, maintaining a brisk jog as he neared her fallen figure. He prepared himself for the worst as he approached her from behind, but his fear was overridden with shock as her laughter met his ears. A sigh of relief escaped his lips as he came to face her, and he nervously joined in. “Thank the Gods you’re alright! I thought for sure I’d killed you!” His voice was shaky as he looked down at her, betraying the concern he had felt for the mare he was beginning to consider a friend.

Lowering his head towards her, a relieved smile split across his lips and he tentatively joined in on her laughter. He worried that perhaps she would not try to fly again, not after this. She didn’t strike him as a quitter, however, and he admired her for that. No matter what, she sure wouldn’t be flying again today. “Are you hurt anywhere?” he asked, his expression returning to one of seriousness and concern as he met her gaze. He would never forgive himself if he had caused her injury, even if it wasn’t directly caused by him.

"Speak"

Calvariam Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Cal|variam

"HOO-WEE, what a hootenanny!"

Waves upon waves of laughter continued to rock her sides as Cal laid there in the dust, giving great heaves of air and breathing in the pollen of the few flowers that lay scattered around her. She felt the dull pounding of every inch of her flight muscles rather acutely; they were a metronome of her hearbeat, as the pain and soreness spread, radiating to every inch of her body. She let the pain and the memories of her decent suffuse her thoughts and immediate memory, savoring in every moment of both and letting those invigorated feelings liven her spirit and ways that had been lost to her.

She rolled to her stomach but made no move to rise; the jolt of landing clumsily in that gallop was sure to give her some strain and splint on her shins, and in the meantime she didn’t feel like pushing her luck. Her wings were in worst shape; Cal swore she felt the telltale itch of a missing feather, and her joints felt loose and warm in a way that was more worrying than comforting. She didn’t panic, however; Cal continued to move her wings in gentle exercises, lifting them, stretching them, folding them, and repeating the process in synchronization. She needed to keep her muscles working, and keep circulation going to her appendages; they would get used to the strain of flying much faster this way.

Because she was going to fly again. Maybe not today, but soon. Very soon.

Small chuckles continued to shake her frame as Cal caught sight of black-black Murdock landing toward her, worry evident in every cut and faucet of his expression. Her chuckles deepened once more into hardy laughter as he voiced his evident concern--please! He was worried about her? If only he knew the things the mare had gotten herself into.

*“Thank the Gods you’re alright! I thought for sure I’d killed you!”*

“Better luck next time, then” she said mischievously, “but I gotta warn y’ah, bigger ‘n better stallions have tried and failed to take out this bag o’ bones, and it’s gonna take more ‘n a little tumble to knock me out for the count.” She shifted her legs underneath her to make them more comfortable; the throbs of her muscles persisted, but her wings didn’t feel so “unsalvageable” anymore. In fact, they were starting to feel better at a rather prodigious rate; what was Cal thinking, letting fear of dementia and old age keep her from something so natural? She was born to do this, after all.

*“Are you hurt anywhere?”*

"Nothing a lil’ dirt won’t fix,” Cal said, wincing a little as she shifted her weight again. Exhaustion was beginning to settle like particles of dust upon her; with the blinking sun starting to warm the grass beneath her and the pleasant memory of being in the air, Cal felt herself slipping into something warm and sleepy, noting that she was probably going to need to nap AND eat before she started her trek downward. She suddenly became annoyed with Murdock; not that the young stallion had done anything to warrant such behavior; it was just that age is an impatient thing, especially when it came to impulses and needs that aren’t easily controlled. Cal wanted to sleep and she wanted to sleep now, and she couldn’t just shut her eyes in front of a stranger. He needed to leave. Now.

“Alright, thas’ enough outta yeh,” she snapped in a brusque manner, her jowls aquiver and her ears pinned, eyeing Murdock with an impatient glint in her eye, “Go on, git! I’m tired o’ yeh now. It was fun but I’m done.” She settled herself into a niche in the grass, getting comfortable for a short nap, keeping an eye open as she watched for the stallion’s departure. Slowly, that eye began to close also; she was surely began to recede into a rather comfortable nap.

Flashes of the day began to intrude upon her slowly fading consciousness; her struggle up the mountain and former “grump”, the stallion’s rather annoying antics and her desire to lash out, his gentle, eager encouragement for her to get back into the air. And then she did. She did make it into the air after all, didn’t she? He even had the courtesy of being concerned for her wellbeing when she made the ballsy dive into the dirt. Murdock….was still annoying, sure. However, it seemed like Cal at least owed him a piece out of her day now. He at least earned as much.

“….Thank you,” she murmured sleepily. Then gave a soft snort. Moony Bill.

"Good night, boy."

(OOC: I've had this typed up for a while, I thought I posted it already and never did x.x. Goes to show how much I neglect Cal, really...However, I think this nicely ends the thread, what do you say? :3 And SORRY for the delay >.<

Murdock Posts: 198
Outcast atk: 9 | def: 10.5 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.2hh :: 8 HP: 61.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Gaz

M U R D O C K
If I go crazy then will you still call me Superman?

Murdock stepped back to give her some room as Cal recovered from the excitement of her flight. Unfortunately, her air-time had ended in what appeared to have been a very painful manner, but she didn’t seem too much worse for wear. He watched patiently as she rolled onto her stomach, spreading her wings to gently exercise the muscles that would soon become quite stiff. He had taken a few bad falls himself, but you healed a lot better when your joints were young and flexible; he only hoped she wouldn’t sustain any permanent damage from her spectacular wipeout.

He pulled his wings in against his sides, his heart-rate slowing as he recovered from the terrible fright she had given him. He had enjoyed their time flying together, despite the briefness of the moment. It was good to see her back up in the air again, where the Pegasi belonged. With any luck she would soon be able to fly whenever she wanted, without having to worry about her joints giving out on her. It was almost like teaching a foal to fly, although she was much older than a foal and this hadn’t been her first time in the air.

An innocent smile split across his lips as Cal turned on him with her ears pinned, and he leaned away from her so as to be out of reach of her teeth. Her mood had quickly spun from cheerful exuberance to blatant annoyance, though he couldn’t blame her in the least. He knew these older horses could get really picky about their nap times. “Yeah yeah yeah, don’t get yer tail in a knot, darlin’. I’m gone.” He dipped his head obligingly as he turned away, flashing her a final smile over his shoulder.

“Have a good nap!” He called out cheerily, breaking into a swift lope across the meadow. The tall golden grass hissed as he passed through it and bright flowers swayed calmly in the breeze. Spreading his pale wings, he lifted off into the air and climbed swiftly into the clouds. The air was warm and calm high above the field, and he cast a final glance down towards the blurry figure of the old mare as he soared toward the mountains. With any luck, this would be the first of many more flights for Cal.

(OOC: No worries! Great thread <3)

"Speak"